Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

How do people approach games in which you are favourites i.e you're near the top of the league and the opposition are midtable/bottom half? I don't mean tactically I mean through match training and team talks. How do you question your teams ability to win the game? I don't think it's my tactics that's the issue more so the over confidence. Any time I play I either can't score and draw 0-0 creating lots of chances or just get countered ruthlessly, despite having more than enough numbers to cope defensively with a counter attack...

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mildly silly question.

How do I improve my away performances?

I'm currently playing a 4-1-2-2-1 :-

GK(d)

DR(s) DC(d) DC(d) DL(s)

A(d)

CM(a) CM(s)

AMR(a) AML(a)

F9(s)

Control

Fluid

Instructions :-

Lower Tempo

Be More Expressive

Get Stuck In

Use Tighter Marking

Drop Deeper

Play Wider

Look for Overlap

Shorter Passing

Whilst I'm doing well (3rd in Conference North with 4 games to go), since the patch I'm being completely battered away from home and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Any advice on where to look? Thank you :)

Maybe changing 1 of your AML/AMR to support duty so that he will track back abit more. Or abit more conservative without the 'play wider' or 'look for overlap'. Can just overlap 1 side like putting 1 of your WB(A) and the man in front on (S).

Will my midfield be solid enough?

I haven't played many games, but the more I think about it (while I am at work and not able to play) I am thinking I might not be setting up my midfield in order to get enough pressing and it will eventually leave too many gaps.

I am playing FM2015 a flexible control tactic

-----------------GK(d)--------------

WB(a)---BPD(d)---DC(d)----FB(s)

-----------------DM(d)--------------

----------BBM(s)--RPM(s)----------

-----------------TQ(a)--------------

-----------DLF(s)---AF(a)----------

My main issue I think would be that the BBM, RPM and TQ will all be caught out of position to much on the counters, But would this be negated by the DM?

Off the top of my head I think the instructions are

Retain Possession

Push Higher

Pass into Space

Low Crosses

Close Down More

The aim of the tactic is to control games through possession and exploit the movement and pace of TQ as well as the AF.

What seem to be the issues? Are you losing narrowly or by big margins?A factor could be that your full backs are left exposed by your attacking AML/R duo.
Firstly, thanks both for the advice. I was losing by 3/4/5 goals against teams I should beat. I'll certainly tweak my wingers for away games, however they're both my highest scorers and creaters so hopefully that won't mean we are toothless in attack. I guess if I remove the play wider shout my midfield will get involved?I found that instead of using control, changing the following helps a lotStandard - away vs teams I should beatCounter - away vs teams who are equal or better than meThis resulted in wins and draws :)

Will my midfield be solid enough?

I haven't played many games, but the more I think about it (while I am at work and not able to play) I am thinking I might not be setting up my midfield in order to get enough pressing and it will eventually leave too many gaps.

I am playing FM2015 a flexible control tactic

-----------------GK(d)--------------

WB(a)---BPD(d)---DC(d)----FB(s)

-----------------DM(d)--------------

----------BBM(s)--RPM(s)----------

-----------------TQ(a)--------------

-----------DLF(s)---AF(a)----------

My main issue I think would be that the BBM, RPM and TQ will all be caught out of position to much on the counters, But would this be negated by the DM?

Off the top of my head I think the instructions are

Retain Possession

Push Higher

Pass into Space

Low Crosses

Close Down More

The aim of the tactic is to control games through possession and exploit the movement and pace of TQ as well as the AF.

Maybe can change your DM to a halfback role or an anchor man. A DM role will close down more than a anchor man. Halfback will drop deeper too.

How does one identify the weak-willed players on the opposition and target them as the 'weakest-link'? I'm terrible at the mind games in the press and would like to start getting an advantage from there.

You can look at their personalities, determination attribute, etc. You can also use it on a hot-scorer to try and unsettle them but it's all kind of a crap-shoot unless you've been paying attention to news items.

I'm not sure it it's a stupid question, but if the master of possession says this about tempo:

Interviewer: What’s the importance to you as the coach of the tempo at which the game is played? The speed?

Pep: I will like to play in a high high speed. To change the rhythm you must play at a huge speed, because It’s only when you play with a huge speed that you can change the rhythm. You have to try to stay aggressive without the ball and with the ball we try to play quickly but in the right moment to make a change in rhythm.

how does this fits in the idea about using low or very low tempo when playing a possession style ???

I'm not sure it it's a stupid question, but if the master of possession says this about tempo:

Interviewer: What’s the importance to you as the coach of the tempo at which the game is played? The speed?

Pep: I will like to play in a high high speed. To change the rhythm you must play at a huge speed, because It’s only when you play with a huge speed that you can change the rhythm. You have to try to stay aggressive without the ball and with the ball we try to play quickly but in the right moment to make a change in rhythm.

how does this fits in the idea about using low or very low tempo when playing a possession style ???

Tempo is all about moving the ball quickly so the AI can't get to the ball but can be lured out of position. Different Mentalities suit ways of achieving possession in different ways. I'm using Attacking at the moment as it uses short, possession oriented passing at the back, but more direct passing at the top end of the pitch where space is at a premium. There's no set way to achieve possession in football but one thing is clear, Guardiola hates possession for the sake of possession, he wants passing to have purpose.

Tempo is all about moving the ball quickly so the AI can't get to the ball but can be lured out of position. Different Mentalities suit ways of achieving possession in different ways. I'm using Attacking at the moment as it uses short, possession oriented passing at the back, but more direct passing at the top end of the pitch where space is at a premium. There's no set way to achieve possession in football but one thing is clear, Guardiola hates possession for the sake of possession, he wants passing to have purpose.

Sure and purpose comes along with a more aggressive mentality and faster passing (or direct passing set by Attacking at the top).

This is more like a curiosity because all possession tactics come with a low or very low tempo, completely the opposite of Pep thinks. I guess people confuses a low / high tempo with a low / high passing risk, maybe a high tempo with a lower passing risk is more suitable (by lower risk I mean less pass into space and a lot more onto the foot alongside with one-twos). It would nice if someone would find out that after all, the man also goes for rigid team shape rather than fluid :lol:

so, stupid question: why players with cut inside PI prefer to run wide with ball all the time? I see them cutting inside WITHOUT the ball all the time, but when they actually receive the pass in wide position, they always hug the touchline.

This is stupid. If i wanted my players to wander in the box without the ball, i would put them as strikers.

If i put them in wide positions and tell them to cut inside WITH ball, is because i want them to receive the passes in wide position and then cut inside with the ball towards the goal.

So anyone cares to explain me if this is a bug or it's my tactics? Because I tried everything, changing strategy, mentality, duties, roles, PI, TI. Nothing works aside from players with dribble often and dribble in the middle of the park PPMs.

But what is the point of an inside forward role, with very rigid and be more disciplined if he plays as a winger. I am really confused and depressed. I couldn't care less, for now, about the results. I just want to see my team playing as i tell them to, but they simply don't.

Edit: just to say that this is happening in fm 15 but it used to happen in fm 14 as well.

Sure and purpose comes along with a more aggressive mentality and faster passing (or direct passing set by Attacking at the top).

This is more like a curiosity because all possession tactics come with a low or very low tempo, completely the opposite of Pep thinks. I guess people confuses a low / high tempo with a low / high passing risk, maybe a high tempo with a lower passing risk is more suitable (by lower risk I mean less pass into space and a lot more onto the foot alongside with one-twos). It would nice if someone would find out that after all, the man also goes for rigid team shape rather than fluid :lol:

Possession tactics like wwfan's are set up to create sudden changes of rhythm and effective tempo will always be influenced by the availability of options and how aggressively the opposition closes down, so a lower tempo does not necessarily mean players will just tip toe about the pitch at all times. It just means they have the option of looking for a better decision.

In the case of Pep, he is also not necessarily thinking on a quantifiable FM scale, and it's also the case that his style is always evolving to fit new circumstances and personnel so a Barca tactic based around Xavi and Messi probably isn't a good fit for modeling what he's trying to achieve at Bayern.

so, stupid question: why players with cut inside PI prefer to run wide with ball all the time? I see them cutting inside WITHOUT the ball all the time, but when they actually receive the pass in wide position, they always hug the touchline.

It's likely that the player thinks he lacks the space/ability to cut inside, usually as a result of having a defender trying to show him onto his weaker foot and central areas already being congested.

It is important to keep in mind that players are not supposed to be like robots and roles are not supposed to be hard rules. They control tendencies, but underlying those tendencies are basic principles of play that will guide a player's decision making. If you want to get an IF to cut inside more, you need to ensure your team is creating sufficient space to enable that movement.

Stupid question re FM14. Just been experimenting with a 4231 (Players on the CM strata with two DM's) counter attacking tactic against Liverpool and was 2-0 up although fortuitously. Not creating many chances but defending ok. Got a player sent off and so went to a 4131 and switched to contain. Ran out 4-0 winners and my shots on goal shot up - "with 10 men and contain"???? Any ideas as to why this happened as I may play contain more often if this is the result !!!!!!

Stupid question re FM14. Just been experimenting with a 4231 (Players on the CM strata with two DM's) counter attacking tactic against Liverpool and was 2-0 up although fortuitously. Not creating many chances but defending ok. Got a player sent off and so went to a 4131 and switched to contain. Ran out 4-0 winners and my shots on goal shot up - "with 10 men and contain"???? Any ideas as to why this happened as I may play contain more often if this is the result !!!!!!

They probably went attacking to take advantage of you going a man down and gave you opportunities to counter.

My advanced playmaker (MC) barely moves from his position nor tries he to attack the box from deep. In general he is just not able to get my attack going, even though he has quite decent stats for the league. Any ideas why? I switched his role to an CM(a) and found he moves way more between the lines. How's that? Shouldn't the AP be responsible for generating chances and starting attacking runs? Am I getting the roles wrong?

It's likely that the player thinks he lacks the space/ability to cut inside, usually as a result of having a defender trying to show him onto his weaker foot and central areas already being congested.

It is important to keep in mind that players are not supposed to be like robots and roles are not supposed to be hard rules. They control tendencies, but underlying those tendencies are basic principles of play that will guide a player's decision making. If you want to get an IF to cut inside more, you need to ensure your team is creating sufficient space to enable that movement.

So just because he's being shown on his weaker foot, it means you completely disable a player ability to dribble? What is the point of having a better player if he is completely unable to go past a much weaker one.

Even if the opponent knows the danger is coming, even if they prepare for it, it should still be at least possible, to actually go past them.

Right now it feels like the player are insecure, they always run for the touchline because they lack the confidence to even try actually dribbling.

About the space. I tried everything. I tried asymmetric formations, I tried to put a partnership with F9 or DLF coming deep or with poachers staying up. I tried to use marauding fullbacks coming up to take a man off from them. I would have liked to try switching the ball to the other flank, but unfortunately there is no such TI (I wonder why), and I am forced having to try teach the PPM to the players only to hear the coaches saying how they "don't see him capable of doing that" and wasting training time to see them fail.

I tried anything I could think of, with no success. So I would really appreciate some help about this, because to me it looks like no matter what I do, an AML/R is always going to behave like a winger, and for as much effective as it can be (even too much actually), I don't care about it, because I play this game to see my idea of football coming true. And for now it simply does not, because the players don't do what they are asked to do.

And yes, players are not robots, but still if I tell them to play in a certain way, I expect them to at least try to and partially succeed at it eventually, not doing the exact OPPOSITE of what I tell them to do.

How can I defand on crosses? I am Arsenal so have Mertesacker and Koscielny as CD. And the main thing I concede goals on is crosses, in theory I should be good there with my CD's, but thats not the case. I have on mark tighter in the tactic, so wonder if there is anything I can do to defand crosses?

Yes possibly but sadly I can never seem to get counter to work like that when I play "counter" with 11 !! Does your team counter on contain?

They'll counter on any setting if the right trigger is met. It probably helps that defensive players on Contain will hoof on first contact.

I've had matches where I was down to ten, the opposition went for the kill and my striker got a steady stream of 1v1s. It just goes to show that Attacking isn't always the best response to an opponent shutting up shop.

How can I defand on crosses? I am Arsenal so have Mertesacker and Koscielny as CD. And the main thing I concede goals on is crosses, in theory I should be good there with my CD's, but thats not the case. I have on mark tighter in the tactic, so wonder if there is anything I can do to defand crosses?

There's not a lot you can do to defend against them, but you can try to prevent them from happening. Pushing up your defence so they can't easily switch play and bombard you with crosses can help. Using a wide midfielder (MLR) instead of a wide forward (AMLR) can also help as the prior will be better positioned to intercept balls played to the opposition winger. You can also use defensive OIs against opposition wingers to try to bully them off the ball, but this can lead to more fouls or, worse, breakaways if your defender overcommits.

If you have the opportunity, you should create a separate thread detailing your set-up.

I know a lot of people have problems similar to yours, though in my case, getting the IFs inside requires not pushing up too high too quickly and keeping plenty of space open in the middle. FWIW, dribbling into central areas is incredibly difficult and very few players are able to pull it off with any sort of consistency.

So "drill crosses" aren't in the Team Instructions. Instead they split it into "Low Crosses" and "whipped cross"

What is best? Or rather, when should one be used over the other?

Low crosses are a good option if you are trying to finesse it with more technical players, though they're fairly easy to defend against since any attentive defender between the ball and the intended recipient can just hoof them clear.

Whipped crosses are less accurate since they travel fast, but for the same reason, they are hard to defend against and may end up deflecting off players, causing chaos and panic.

Then floated crosses are just lofted balls best suited for tall, powerful forwards or, if you're mainly relying on an overlapping wingback to create an overload and cross, a winger arriving late at the far post.

How do I my player to play well in big matches?

I have a huge prospect, but one of his cons is that he doesn't feel confortable playing big matches

Is there a way to improve it?

Thanks in advance

If he plays well in big matches, there's a chance he'll improve. Going into the match, the key is not to pile the pressure on him. It may also help if you play him in a more peripheral role or one where he has more support available. For example, you may not want to use him as a playmaker or a lone striker where the team's performance is dependent on him having a good match. You want to have him contribute, hopefully building confidence should the result go your way, but the more confident players should be the focal point of the system.

Low crosses are a good option if you are trying to finesse it with more technical players, though they're fairly easy to defend against since any attentive defender between the ball and the intended recipient can just hoof them clear.

Whipped crosses are less accurate since they travel fast, but for the same reason, they are hard to defend against and may end up deflecting off players, causing chaos and panic.

Then floated crosses are just lofted balls best suited for tall, powerful forwards or, if you're mainly relying on an overlapping wingback to create an overload and cross, a winger arriving late at the far post.

So, is Whipped crosses the closest thing to Drill Crosses since they don't have that in the game anymore?

So, is Whipped crosses the closest thing to Drill Crosses since they don't have that in the game anymore?

As far as I'm aware, it's the same instruction. Drill Crosses never actually caused crosses to be played lower to the ground.

My advanced playmaker (MC) barely moves from his position nor tries he to attack the box from deep. In general he is just not able to get my attack going, even though he has quite decent stats for the league. Any ideas why? I switched his role to an CM(a) and found he moves way more between the lines. How's that? Shouldn't the AP be responsible for generating chances and starting attacking runs? Am I getting the roles wrong?

CM(A) has get 'further forward' for its role. Adv playmaker is set on mixed as he needs to get involved in the buildup more.

To my mind, a passing game is usually slow tempo because the average player needs to receive the ball, think what to do next and then pass. If they rush or are pressed into hurrying, they will likely lose possession. Pep doesn't work with average players - at Barce he moulded the very best passers in the world into a unit that could keep possession with quick one-touch passes. It's almost impossible to replicate, and even Barce and Spain are fading as the small core of key players age.

My defence line has pretty poor passing attributes and they tend to play a lot of misplaced passes. What can I do to avoid that?

My thoughts so far:

-instruct them to play less crosses and shorter passing -> not really working

-maybe introduce a DLP(s) in the MC position who picks up the ball

Any thoughts?

If I'm playing an assymetrical formation with a RW(a) and RB(s) and a complete wing back only on the left which of my 2 strikers should be on the support role? I play an AF and TM(s) up front but would the support role be more effective on the side that has my attacking winger is or on the left where the complete wing back is?

This is the thing I don't get with training. I've got cohesion for general and match tactics for match prep during pre-season. I usually have fitness set for general (through out the season). The weekly focus changes to give a fair % to all areas and dependent on opposing side (say I'm at home, I focus on attack). Is this a pragmatic system?

Trying to understand the logic behind it all.

My defence line has pretty poor passing attributes and they tend to play a lot of misplaced passes. What can I do to avoid that?

My thoughts so far:

-instruct them to play less crosses and shorter passing -> not really working

-maybe introduce a DLP(s) in the MC position who picks up the ball

Any thoughts?

Do you have a defend duty player in midfield? A DLP-S might help, but you should already be getting an easy short option from your main holding midfielder. If he's getting marked out of the game, a DLP-S would then help.

If I'm playing an assymetrical formation with a RW(a) and RB(s) and a complete wing back only on the left which of my 2 strikers should be on the support role? I play an AF and TM(s) up front but would the support role be more effective on the side that has my attacking winger is or on the left where the complete wing back is?

Generally, it doesn't really matter. It depends on your players and how exactly you want them to link up.

A W(s)/ST(a) relationship will be based more on the wide player trying to thread balls from deep for the striker's runs.

A W(a)/ST(a) relationship will be based more on the wide player getting to the byline (or just into a very advanced position) and playing balls to the near post for the striker to attack.

A W(a)/ST(s) relationship will lean slightly more towards the striker looking to link up deeper and potentially playing in the winger as he bursts forward.

A W(s)/ST(S) relationship will be based more on linking up in a deeper position, working the ball forward carefully and playing in runners on the opposite flank (or, potentially, an overlapping central midfielder).

Generally, it doesn't really matter. It depends on your players and how exactly you want them to link up.

A W(s)/ST(a) relationship will be based more on the wide player trying to thread balls from deep for the striker's runs.

A W(a)/ST(a) relationship will be based more on the wide player getting to the byline (or just into a very advanced position) and playing balls to the near post for the striker to attack.

A W(a)/ST(s) relationship will lean slightly more towards the striker looking to link up deeper and potentially playing in the winger as he bursts forward.

A W(s)/ST(S) relationship will be based more on linking up in a deeper position, working the ball forward carefully and playing in runners on the opposite flank (or, potentially, an overlapping central midfielder).

Given the potency of near post crosses in the current ME I think I'll be going with this option to start with :D

Thanks. I think the W(a)/ST(s) would also do a job for me too though, my TM has plays with back to goal PPM and I primarily want him to hold the ball up and lay it off to other players so with him potentially playing the ball on to my attacking winger or playing one-twos to put him through it will give me a different plan if option A isn't working.

Do you have a defend duty player in midfield? A DLP-S might help, but you should already be getting an easy short option from your main holding midfielder. If he's getting marked out of the game, a DLP-S would then help.

I have an Anchorman on the DM position. Additionally, the DLP-S. Unfortunately my defenders prefer to clear the ball to the flanks or attempt really long passes. The team instruction says: shorter passing and exploit the flanks. Could that be the problem?

I have an Anchorman on the DM position. Additionally, the DLP-S. Unfortunately my defenders prefer to clear the ball to the flanks or attempt really long passes. The team instruction says: shorter passing and exploit the flanks. Could that be the problem?

Exploit the Flanks might be contributing since it will instruct them to focus passing into wide areas as well as telling the fullbacks to push up further forward. Are you playing on a more defensive mentality? If so, central defenders will be more inclined to play it to "safety" if the fullbacks don't stay close and offer support.

Exploit the Flanks might be contributing since it will instruct them to focus passing into wide areas as well as telling the fullbacks to push up further forward. Are you playing on a more defensive mentality? If so, central defenders will be more inclined to play it to "safety" if the fullbacks don't stay close and offer support.

I'm playing with an attacking mentality. I guess my fullbacks push forward to quickly and therefore the defenders play the ball wide most of the time. I change that and see if it makes a difference. It also appears to me I don't really understand the different mentalities and how they really affect my tactic. Do you know any decent guide on that by accident? I'm looking to get into the tactic area of the game this year.

Every help appreciated. Thanks!