Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

does retraining players to a new position (they dont have a cricle there not even an orange circle) reduce ca and or pa?

Technically no, but it can change how much pa is used up for certain attributes, making some more expensive which will reduce how good the player can eventually become.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the TI "Close down more" pushes the defensive line up? If so, what's the difference between "close down more" and "push higher up"?

Also, what would be a good standard player instruction set to transform a wide midfielder into a wide forward? (Kind of like Thomas Muller)

Does the TI "Close down more" pushes the defensive line up? If so, what's the difference between "close down more" and "push higher up"?

Also, what would be a good standard player instruction set to transform a wide midfielder into a wide forward? (Kind of like Thomas Muller)

Push higher up is defensive line. Close down more is pressing, its nothing to do with d-line.

No idea as I don't watch Madrid very often. The important thing is how you think their central midfield "works".

The important thing in FM is not to get bogged down speculating about things. Just get on with it, watch matches and see what is working and what isn't.

well, Almost every team I managed,I would always end at same thing

my team attack is bad. either the pass intercepted,the dribble failed and got robbed,or the finishing is poor.then there is one time when opponent score goal.the result is either draw or loose.

In fm 15 I play 3 different team. real madrid,man utd, and las palmas.all ended in that way.las palmas is even worse. the attack is poor,but my team so rarely do attack

I am a new in tactical creator things. I cant tell the difference between some role,when I see in the pitch. this made me undecisive when creating role for player. I just use pair and combination thread and see the best role my player can play

when things go bad for my team, I dont know what to do. I often get confused to use subtitution since I just see my first team is better then the backup, so I just replacing tired player

creating own thread,seems nobody interest to help a noobs.

I really dont know do its just destiny that maybe I can never enjoy manager game anymore..

Guest El Payaso

Is there any way to stop this so called 'super dribbling' that big teams employ against my side. If I play against teams like Atlético, Barcelona and Real Madrid, their players seem to be just unstoppable with the ball and the goals I concede are almost always the same: attacking player receives the ball at halfway line and dribbles at the edge of the box with ease and takes shot which is parried by my keeper and one of the attacking players is always there for the rebound. And other one is the cut inside from flank and shot goal/rebound goal. It doesn't seem to help that I have men under the ball as they just cannot stop them from running with the ball.

They are also doing it in AI vs AI matches and that is how those bigger teams usually with the games but is there anything you can do but the wait for an update? I'm not looking necessarily to win them but I want to challenge them and make it harder for them.

I'm usually using my 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 with two defensive minded midfielders there: DLP (S) and MC (D) in 4-4-1-1 and with 4-1-4-1 I use anchor man with CM (A) and BTB (S). Those setups don't limit them like I said. What I am trying to do is to get my team trying to play against them so I'm using shorter passing, play out of defence, play narrower (to keep better shape if we lose the ball), tighter marking and get stuck in. Usually adapting to defensive strategy.

I think this has already been asked but which is the new 'hassle opponents', 'close down more' or 'close down much more'?

Hassle Opponents is effectively dead, as that used to increase Tempo, Closing Down and applied tight marking.

We now have separation of all of these things in TIs. As Hassle maxed Closing Down, you need to use Close Down Much More to best replicate its intensity of pressing.

Hassle Opponents is effectively dead, as that used to increase Tempo, Closing Down and applied tight marking.

We now have separation of all of these things in TIs. As Hassle maxed Closing Down, you need to use Close Down Much More to best replicate its intensity of pressing.

Cool, thanks.

Technically no, but it can change how much pa is used up for certain attributes, making some more expensive which will reduce how good the player can eventually become.

Would it be a good strategy to when a player hit his peak to retrain him and make him as versatile as possible? Or would he start to loose attributes?

I'm in need of some advice here, currently playing as Newcastle United...

I'm currently setting up something like this:

GK (Defend)

Full Back (Attack) - Center Back (Defend) - Center Back (Defend) - Wing Back (Support)

Defensive Midfielder (Defend)

Winger (Support) - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

Trequartista (Attack) - Trequartista (Attack)

Advanced Forward (Attack) - Advanced Forward (Attack)

Team Instructions: Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Float Crosses, Close Down More, Use Tighter Marking; Playing on Standard and Structured. Only my centre backs have player instructions - 'Pass It Shorter'.

Now in attack, I am very happy with things, the T(A) and AF(A) link really well together and the rest of the team. However in defence we are awful! We tend to dominate games in terms of possession (55%+) but in all of my friendlies, four Premier League games and 1 League Cup game we are yet to keep a clean sheet with the likes of Gateshead putting three past us and it not uncommon for sides to have 20+ shots even with around 30% possession.

Obviously there is a weakness somewhere and if someone could point that out I would be very grateful! The most obvious one would be the hole in midfield but I can't see a way of plugging it and still employ the T and AF combo...Am I better moving my DM up a strata to plug the hole?

I'm in need of some advice here, currently playing as Newcastle United...

I'm currently setting up something like this:

GK (Defend)

Full Back (Attack) - Center Back (Defend) - Center Back (Defend) - Wing Back (Support)

Defensive Midfielder (Defend)

Winger (Support) - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

Trequartista (Attack) - Trequartista (Attack)

Advanced Forward (Attack) - Advanced Forward (Attack)

Team Instructions: Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Float Crosses, Close Down More, Use Tighter Marking; Playing on Standard and Structured. Only my centre backs have player instructions - 'Pass It Shorter'.

Now in attack, I am very happy with things, the T(A) and AF(A) link really well together and the rest of the team. However in defence we are awful! We tend to dominate games in terms of possession (55%+) but in all of my friendlies, four Premier League games and 1 League Cup game we are yet to keep a clean sheet with the likes of Gateshead putting three past us and it not uncommon for sides to have 20+ shots even with around 30% possession.

Obviously there is a weakness somewhere and if someone could point that out I would be very grateful! The most obvious one would be the hole in midfield but I can't see a way of plugging it and still employ the T and AF combo...Am I better moving my DM up a strata to plug the hole?

I would absolutely move the DM up to the CM stratta. This is very similar to a set up I had in FM14 but I played quicker football and it was pretty successful

Cheers I'll give it a go...I guess CM (D) is the best way to go, 'Close Down Less' to keep him sitting in midfield?

It's what I would do, close down less not too essential, this set up you can go a little bolder than a DLP next to him if you choose. As always, see how it's playing out in front of you before committing to anything.

Well first game trying this - Man Utd (H), held them to a 1-1 draw, they had 14 shots (to our 12) but then they also have Falcao, Rooney, van Persie, Mata and Di Maria and I was playing Paul Dummet at CB so hard to really tell :lol: I did feel watching it that we were much less under the cosh however so definitely an improvement.

Well first game trying this - Man Utd (H), held them to a 1-1 draw, they had 14 shots (to our 12) but then they also have Falcao, Rooney, van Persie, Mata and Di Maria and I was playing Paul Dummet at CB so hard to really tell :lol: I did feel watching it that we were much less under the cosh however so definitely an improvement.

Decent result, did you stick with the DLP?

Yeah, just a basic CM(D) and DLP(S). Just realised looking at my squad that I had my DLP on my attacking fullbacks side, I'll shift the CM over for the next game, see if that covers things better.

Yeah, just a basic CM(D) and DLP(S). Just realised looking at my squad that I had my DLP on my attacking fullbacks side, I'll shift the CM over for the next game, see if that covers things better.

Have a tinker with a third runner from midfield against a team your confident of beating, namely the DLPs can be modified to a runner, the 4 in the CM stratta gives you a bit of license for this and can be the difference between draws and wins

Well I might need to go back to the drawing board...next up: West Ham 3-1 Newcastle. 17 shots on goal from the Hammers, one goal was from a corner but they sliced me apart time after time...I'm wondering if the tighter marking is pulling players out of position too much..?

How good are your defenders at playing out from the back? Are you getting pressed early into mistakes? You do have quiet an aggressive press for a middle range mentality, you might be getting pulled out of position in a too deep area of the pitch due to heavy pressing lowing mentality, it isn't always wise to press too deep. Things to look out for, might be something else...

Well seemingly my players couldn't pass chlamydia to a prostitute. They can't kick it hard enough to reach a player, they pass behind a player, they pass to absolutely no-one in particular :lol:. We managed an amazing 3-1 win over the might Mansfield before conceding another 3 with no reply at Southampton. I tried removing the close down more often and mark tighter instructions to no avail... think a fresh approach is needed!

This isn't always a bad thing. I play a CM-D on the same side as a FB-S (Hold Position), and a CM-S (Channels) with a CWB-A. Passing between the two pairs is excellent because they end up closer to one another, and can support each other's movement (or lack of it).

Anyone know how to best setup defensive forward (lone or with partner?) and the players around him im thinkign of DFs and AMs,SSA,AMA directly below him or maybe i could make them to wingers and a SSa behind the df anyone done a df formation

Hi,

I can't import tactics to FM15, I play on a PC.

I've played FM for so long and have never had this issue before:

When I download a tactic and try to load it into the game I can't find it and can't search for it either.

Can anyone help me?

Click manage tactic, choose and import the tactic you want, click ok. Click on your tactics tab again, you will now see your tactic there in the dropdown.

hello..

I have a problem about indirect free kick.. the one that take my indirect free kick is my free kick taker. my problem is, sometimes I had player like cristiano ronaldo, who good at direct free kick, that directly go to shot on goal instead of passing or crossing to the box.. how to ask free kick taker just to take direct free kick,and leave indirect one to better passer or corner taker?

this problem increased when I have a goalkeeper who good at free kick ability

Guest El Payaso

How do I teach preferred moves? Tried to do it from the training window but the discuss about training seems to be unavailable for all of my players and they're not tutoring or anything.

Hi,

I've done that, but there is no way for me to import the tactic since no tactic shows up and I can't even search for tactics on my computer, so I can't choose a tactic.

Everything is grey and I can't click on the direction button. It is really strange actually. And none of my subscribed files show up either.

Hi,

I've done that, but there is no way for me to import the tactic since no tactic shows up and I can't even search for tactics on my computer, so I can't choose a tactic.

Everything is grey and I can't click on the direction button. It is really strange actually. And none of my subscribed files show up either.

Have you check your tactics folder? It's in your documents -> sports interactive -> tactics.

I have 3 [first team physios] never any more.

I have almost no injuries in my first team squad, but it seems like every other Under 18s match I have a minor injury (bruised rib, gashed leg, twisted ankle, etc.). I do have dedicated physios (probably far too many) for my first team, reserves, and youth squads. Are minor injuries common with Under 18s, or are my physios inadequate, or are my tactics (which include Hassle Opponents in FM14) creating more injuries than usual? Or maybe my under 18s squad is too big for everyone to retain match fitness? I let my youth manager run the Under 18 games.

I have almost no injuries in my first team squad, but it seems like every other Under 18s match I have a minor injury (bruised rib, gashed leg, twisted ankle, etc.). I do have dedicated physios (probably far too many) for my first team, reserves, and youth squads. Are minor injuries common with Under 18s, or are my physios inadequate, or are my tactics (which include Hassle Opponents in FM14) creating more injuries than usual? Or maybe my under 18s squad is too big for everyone to retain match fitness? I let my youth manager run the Under 18 games.

It could be a case of people not match fit, or people playing with low condition. Those seem to be the 2 major issues with youth injuries and the most common imo.

It could be a case of people not match fit, or people playing with low condition. Those seem to be the 2 major issues with youth injuries and the most common imo.

Thanks, Cleon. As an aside, I devour everything you write in my quest to get better at the game, and better understand football tactics generally.

I have a pretty big Under-18 squad, so that's probably it. Should I trim it down to 2 per position? I hate to let loose the Under 18s before they've gone through my academy, but there are many who only have 3-4 silver stars in CA and 1 gold star in PA (FM14). They'll never make my first team squad.

Thanks, Cleon. As an aside, I devour everything you write in my quest to get better at the game, and better understand football tactics generally.

I have a pretty big Under-18 squad, so that's probably it. Should I trim it down to 2 per position? I hate to let loose the Under 18s before they've gone through my academy, but there are many who only have 3-4 silver stars in CA and 1 gold star in PA (FM14). They'll never make my first team squad.

Set your youth team to a custom view that lets you see their match condition at a glance; that should be helpful. And yes, I would trim that squad down to no more than 2 per position, and honestly, I try to keep my U18s at 18 or less total players. Even then, you'll have a few of the weaker players struggle to get playing time. If you know that they will never get to your subs bench, ever, then clean some house :D

hi my friend. last time I try to train player new position is in fm 2008. that time I want christiano ronaldo (AMRL) to be AMRLC and FC.but failed. When he didnt train for amc anymore, he could me fc, but amrl,st . so I can only train position for him at 1 place

in fm 2015,my team lack of ball winner,so I got an idea to made use of my backup center back and right back as ball winner,since their attribute good enought to be ball winner. what is the best position I teach them? If they could be both MC and DM it would be good.. currently both are inefectual on that position

My team could play ball winner either atDM or MC as I cant tell the difference between those two..

At first glance floaty, none and low respectively.

You can also use whipped crosses with a little guy, so long as he has pretty good anticipation, off the ball, agility, decisions, concentration, and acceleration. And probably heading, but eh, he's close in, he'll probably hit roughly the target some of the time.

hi my friend. last time I try to train player new position is in fm 2008. that time I want christiano ronaldo (AMRL) to be AMRLC and FC.but failed. When he didnt train for amc anymore, he could me fc, but amrl,st . so I can only train position for him at 1 place

in fm 2015,my team lack of ball winner,so I got an idea to made use of my backup center back and right back as ball winner,since their attribute good enought to be ball winner. what is the best position I teach them? If they could be both MC and DM it would be good.. currently both are inefectual on that position

My team could play ball winner either atDM or MC as I cant tell the difference between those two..

DM will give you more defensive roles(bwm, halfback, anchor man and defensive midfielder) to train in while MC only give you 2(cmd and bwm)

How do you deal with players who are either 'exhausted and in need of a long rest' or 'tired in need of a rest'?

Is the holiday function a good idea, or just leave them out for a game or two?

The first one I will give them a holiday for a week or two (evaluate when they return). The second one is easier: a game or two off is usually enough. One thing to keep in mind is once they get to that state, they seem to get back to it pretty fast, even after rests, so you'll need to monitor them.

How can I get my players to play SHORT PASSING FOOTBALL.

And yes I have read all them 12 steps and pairs/combinations and the barcelona thread.

Have you tried all the obvious stuff? Those guides tell you how to set up a functional and logical system. but they don't directly tell you how to play a possession game.

Yes I have. With all them logical shouts they just hoof pointless long balls all over again.

What logical stuff have you tried? What Mentality do you use? Do you use a Target Man?

It's almost worth creating a thread for this, because it's a common complaint but if you set things up right, it's easy to average 60+% possession on a regular basis, using a short passing game.