Football Manager Handheld + Android

Hi, this is amazing news. Football Manager was the only thing left restricting me to iOS. (Galaxy S2 will be my new phone)

The part which I'm curious about is whether save games are transferable/convertible. I'm not too knowledgeable in the programming field but I don't think the save games would be able to be the same format. I really hope they are - my current save is legendary.

(Also, apologies if this has been already answered. I tried looking through all the posts, and I couldn't find an answer, but at the same time, it is 2:30AM ;) )

Thanks so much Marc! Best developer ever!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Hi, this is amazing news. Football Manager was the only thing left restricting me to iOS. (Galaxy S2 will be my new phone)

The Galaxy S2 is actually the phone I use these days - so rest assured FMH has had a lot of (cough) testing on it ;)

The part which I'm curious about is whether save games are transferable/convertible. I'm not too knowledgeable in the programming field but I don't think the save games would be able to be the same format. I really hope they are - my current save is legendary.

They aren't really I'm afraid - the format is largely the same but unfortunately the database revision isn't quite the same which would mean it might load but the names would likely be messed up and I'd be unable to guarentee they'd be stable, sorry.

(I am hoping to 'sync' the formats for next years versions so people with say an Android phone and an iPad or vice versa can move saves between them - no promises though, thats just my brain talking out loud and I have no idea if its truly viable yet)

Thanks so much Marc! Best developer ever!

Thanks very much for the kind words :D

Thank you very much!!!!!!!! I waiting this day and every day read this forum . I have LG OPTIMUS 2X resolution 480х800 with Tegra 2 , I hope it will be work . Can you confirm Marc ? Thanks

http://www.androidcentral.com/sega-title-football-manager-finally-heading-android#comment-399044

in the image theyve used an LG optimus 2x for the screen shot (though from the sounds of it anything with 2.2 should work with this.)

to be fair on android the only majorly used resolutions are 800x480 854x480 960x540 and 1280x800 with a couple of 1024x600 on lower spec tablets. Not too many to cover. Also couldn't we have the option of the strech even if it does look blurry?

• SI Staff
to be fair on android the only majorly used resolutions are 800x480 854x480 960x540 and 1280x800 with a couple of 1024x600 on lower spec tablets. Not too many to cover. Also couldn't we have the option of the strech even if it does look blurry?

I played around with various ways of scaling the application upward and found that the images and text (especially) looked really blurry and horrible on when this was done - or worse still 'stretched', its because the scaling wasn't 'regular'*. This blurring was to the extend where I didn't want to release the game with it that way because I was concerned that (1) it looked ****, (2) it'd give people headaches if they played for long periods.

For this reason I decided to go with using a variety of resolutions and then displaying the closest fit to a devices setup with centering if it wasn't a perfect fit. Post release we'll be monitoring feedback and I've got provisional clearance to add at least one additional resolution skin in during the support/update cycle for the game - but at present there isn't clear information upon what resolutions are the most common on the device (beyond 480x3280 and 800x480 which are obviously hugely popular and will already have dedicated skins) so we'll wait on feedback from you chaps before making the decision as to how to prioritise the development of these.

*ie. the ratio of x and y axis to full-screen wasn't the same.

obviously im going to be biased and say id like it to be 960x540 as its my phone's res, but surely there will be a lot of complaints from people that its only covering part of the screen. Thats why I suggested its an option even if it looks rubbish

• SI Staff
obviously im going to be biased and say id like it to be 960x540 as its my phone's res, but surely there will be a lot of complaints from people that its only covering part of the screen. Thats why I suggested its an option even if it looks rubbish

To be quite honest - time will tell, ultimately if the game sells well then we'll do our best to do dedicated skins to all the major resolutions - but we've tested on a large variety of devices and it plays sensibly and sanely on them all.

Some people might be put off slightly by having a small black border* if their devices specific resolution isn't supported but its not something which we're hiding is the case and obviously its up to everyone to decide for themselves.

• SI Staff
I have a rather unusual tablet (Ainol Elf), I assume it'll still work fine?

It hasn't been tested specifically upon that device - but from what I can see of the specs on Wikipedia it should run fine on that, obviously in the unlikely event if you have any issues let me know and I'll get things sorted for you asap (one of the nice things about the iOS and Android handhelds is the fact we can do regular updates to our games).

• SI Staff
Droid RAZR and HTC sensation have 960x540 screen res, so it will not work with our devices? :(

Just to confirm what Dec indicated - the game will work fine on those devices, however it'll leave a small border outside of the game.

As I've mentioned elsewhere once the game is in the 'wild' we'll be listening to feedback and creating additional skins to support any popular resolutions which require it, frankly at present theres no way of knowing which resolution devices are the most popular with people who play our game.

It hasn't been tested specifically upon that device - but from what I can see of the specs on Wikipedia it should run fine on that, obviously in the unlikely event if you have any issues let me know and I'll get things sorted for you asap (one of the nice things about the iOS and Android handhelds is the fact we can do regular updates to our games).

Awesome, cheers :)

Just to confirm what Dec indicated - the game will work fine on those devices, however it'll leave a small border outside of the game.

As I've mentioned elsewhere once the game is in the 'wild' we'll be listening to feedback and creating additional skins to support any popular resolutions which require it, frankly at present theres no way of knowing which resolution devices are the most popular with people who play our game.

aww okay u really need to add RAZR, its a great phone and Sensation has the same screen res. Will it be compatible with my Motorola Xoom?

I will buy it and write feedback so u can add support for the RAZR to :) I hope it works fullscreen on my Xoom, ill play it there untill u fix it for my razr

From the way Marc has spoken about supporting various resolutions, I think we will find that this game will support a huge amount of Android devices and if it doesn't support a certain resolution from the start, then it will be added in a future update. If only more Android developers were this supportive with their product.

• SI Staff
so is it just the 2 skins in atm then? 480x320 and 800x480?

No currently there are three supported resolutions 480x320, 800x480 and an HD 960x640 - there could have been a 1024x768 resolution as well; but for some reason no Android tablet has a resolution with a height that large (yes I know there are 1024x768 Android tablets but in 'reality' they're not that resolution as 56 pixels of the height is used up by the 'menu' so they're 1024x712 (if they were originally 1024x768) or less if they're the more 'widescreen' tablets).

Post release we'll be ascertaining which resolution skins are wanted by people and what should be given priority (I'm expecting the first we do will be a full screen tablet skin, but it'll largely be down to the feedback we receive from people and I could be wrong).

Hi Marc, Thanks again for doing this!

With regards the resolution issues, Google does actually publish statistics for the resolutions of devices regularly. You can find the chart here:

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/screens.html

And a table which allows you to translate the size/density labels into actual resolutions here:

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html#testing

As you can see, roughly 65% of devices have standard sized screens with a resolution 800x480 (or 854x480) followed by 20% with a resolution of 480x320, so it looks like you are already covering 85% of devices (in terms of resolution) from launch which isn't half bad!

The next skin to aim for is indeed a 1280x800 tablet which bring in another 6% although as you mentioned, you will need to take the on-screen menu bar into account.

I would suggest the next steps would be 960x540 to cover phones such as the Moto Razr and HTC Sensation & One S followed by a 1280x720 phone skin for the Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X.

• SI Staff
With regards the resolution issues, Google does actually publish statistics for the resolutions of devices regularly. You can find the chart here:

Yes and no - while useful as a guideline that doesn't show the screen size in actual physical pixels (its a range for each category shown) but also importantly it doesn't sub-divide the information down into geographic region (ie. some resolutions may be biased because they're more popular in one territory than another - its people playing FMH we care about).

The next skin to aim for is indeed a 1280x800 tablet which bring in another 6% although as you mentioned, you will need to take the on-screen menu bar into account.

The problem as I mentioned is that each category contains a range of resolutions the 1280x800 tablet range also contains 1024x768 and also 1280x768. So you're aware the tablet screens will already run a HD skin aimed at supporting all sensibly in the initial release (ie. its sized so it suits all tablets while not being 'full-screen').

I would suggest the next steps would be 960x540 to cover phones such as the Moto Razr and HTC Sensation & One S followed by a 1280x720 phone skin for the Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X.

This 960z540 is a size we're considering for the future - but we'll wait and see what user feedback is like and what is requested before we make any firm decisions, simply put until we know more about our user base I think its best to wait ..

Hi Marc! I have Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, (android 2.1 orginally) but I rooted it and install a custom rom and now I have Android version 2.3.7, resolution is 320x480 and I overclocked it to 729mHz. Do you think can I buy the game after release and play it normally without any lags or something?

• SI Staff
Hi Marc! I have Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, (android 2.1 orginally) but I rooted it and install a custom rom and now I have Android version 2.3.7, resolution is 320x480 and I overclocked it to 729mHz. Do you think can I buy the game after release and play it normally without any lags or something?

I can't honestly say exactly how it'd play on that device as its non-standard and not something I've has experience with personally - I expect it'd be fine, the worst case scenario would be the match 2d display appearing a little 'jaggy' if it struggles to hold a smooth 30Hz frame rate ... but as I said its not a device I have experience with.

I would however expect it'd be quite reasonable on that device I HAVE experience with the game on a Samsung Ace which is a similar device resolution-wise and was a similarly 'budget' model released within around 6 months of your phone, the Ace has a 800Mhz processor of the same 'family' as yours so if only slightly faster than yours now its over-clocked .... obviously I can't guarentee thats the case though (if you do get the game please let me know how you get on with it as I'd be very interested to know).

PS - I am presuming you have an SD Card as your phones internal memory is somewhat restricted (128Mb) and would be too small for the games installation as that requires approximately 170Mb of space.

Very thanks for your answer Marc! SD Card is not a problem, I have 8 Gb, and also in my rooted phone I can install a game directly to SD Card. I played GTA3 but I had only 5-10 FPS. PSP had 300-400 Mhz, and FMH works fine on that. X8 had only 168mb RAM memory and I'm afraid it's not enough to play without lags. I can't wait! It's only 2 days left.

• SI Staff
Marc, I've got Galaxy Ace, what was your experience with it?

Cheers

Works fine, although its obviously not as fast processing between days as the uber fancy new phones its still nippy and the 2d view holds a decent smooth frame rate as well.

Just wanted to register to say thanks Marc, been a big fan of the game for years and am delighted it's coming to Android. Thanks for taking your own time tto develop it and am pleased your now an Android fan and user.

Looking forward to guiding Watford to the Premier League on my Samsung gs2 and Asus Transformer.

• SI Staff
Just wanted to register to say thanks Marc, been a big fan of the game for years and am delighted it's coming to Android. Thanks for taking your own time tto develop it and am pleased your now an Android fan and user.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated :D

• SI Staff
by the way, will this FM work on my LG optimus black?

Yes the game should work fine on that device - its well in excess of the minimum required spec.

(it hasn't to my knowledge been tested specifically on that device - but I'm very confident it'll work without issue, obviously if anything does play-up then let me know and I'll get things tweaked asap)

• SI Staff
Any idea when we can expect it?

Sometime in the afternoon UK time I believe - I can't give an exact time as this is our first ever Android title and we have no idea how long it takes to propogate to servers etc.

(but suffice to say I'll be surfacing between 5-6am here to try and ensure that I'm up and around to help things go as smoothly as possible)

Just downloaded the game, and loaded it up, and it needs to download extra data.

Understandable for a game of this size, and common for games, but how big is the "extra" download (in MB ?)

EDIT: "An additional data download will occur the first time the game is launched. The download size will be between 7-19MB depending on your device and will take approximately 3 minutes via WiFi, 6 minutes over cellular.)"

Answered my own question, no problems :)

Archived