Football Manager Handheld + Android

• SI Staff
If you only want to support screen sizes of 800x480 upwards you can say that. If you only want to support 800x480 and 854x480, again, just put that in the manifest and it's what will happen.

Purely out of interest - how would you define 800x480 in the manifest file? - I've looked into Android development and you can't actually specify a resolution in the manifest you can opt to support a screen size (which means small phone, smart phone, tablet roughly and not always accurately) and on later OS revisions (only) you are able to define things in terms of pixels per inch* ... but I haven't seen a manifest option defined for simple pixel resolutions, if you know of one I'd be interested to have a reference posted as in the long term if we do support Android it'd obviously be helpful.

*An important note in the Google developer documents does however warn you that these 'pixel per inch' definitions in the manifest do NOT filter content for the MarketPlace meaning that users with invalid devices would accidentally purchase items they couldn't use - not exactly ideal.

The OS is NOT fragmentation, all devices use the Android OS and just have different layers built on top of it, i.e. different third party apps installed. They all use Android.

Actually yes the OS is fragmentation - the Android OS has been customised by the various manufacturers and can behave quite differently on different devices when it comes to operation and development.

The most commonly noted one of these for development is how/where an SD card is mounted in the system and how you access it programatically - there isn't a standard location for this and even 'intuitive' functions which appear to return an 'External Storage Location' can on some devices return you only the internal storage.

Add to this the fact that there are a LOT of Android OS revisions and its not as easy to do 'lazy linking' (ie. include features from later versions which you only access if that version is available) as on the iOS platforms and it is a challenge to undertake.

Fragmentation is easy to build around especially when so many specs outside of power are comparable on many devices. Even with power the phones are still by and large faster than the iPod Touch 2nd Gen which is the lowest denomination supported by the current iOS game.

Actually no - the iOS game will run on ANY iTouch device; I test it on my 1st generation iTouch sporadically here to make sure that remains the case (its not as swish as on the later devices but will run and is playable).

It might also interest you to know that up until the very latest Android OS's (presently a small fraction of the Market) you are capped at out roughly 20Mb of memory for an Android application (after which the OS will happily kill you) - this is a lot lower than on iOS where most modern devices will tolerate 65-70Mb happily and even older units will happily run using 30Mb or so.

The most modern android devices allow you to use a large heap setting which should over-ride this restriction - but I have no personal knowledge of how this operates or what its tolerances are.

Please do understand that I do like the idea of moving FMH onto new platforms and do a heck of a lot of research around such things - any reluctance or delays which occur in moving the game into new niches isn't because we're not considering or looking into them .... and do remember that with a whopping two developers working on FMH we're already kinda busy with the iOS and PSP platforms ;)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is though Marc, why are you even bothering with PSP/PSV, the PSP has been a dead platform for a long time, the Vita will not change that, you may get 6 months to a year out of it. Android is a huge ever growing platform, pull the plug on the crap PSP/V and move that developer onto something that is a sure thing for making lots of money. It's bad business selling to a dead platform...

Marc

You should have a look at this video from the google i/o talks about memory management.

also as a note of reference while yes there are limits on vm sizes 16mb, 24mb etc which is phone specific not android version specific, i remember reading ways around this (not including the latest way that the video above describes) as dungeon defenders uses 256 ram to run, like i said in my previous posts, android can run large and heavy apps even on older versions of android FM is not a heavy app, when thinks like grand theft auto, dead space, dungeon defenders run just fine, its kinda hard for android fans to take those excuses

at the minute it just feels like your saying oh know we dont wanna make a windows version of football manager, we'll just make a version for mac, and we all scratch our heads and think what the hell?? Android has twice the market share of the iphone and that figure is only increasing, its approaching 300million deviices, what number does it have to hit before one gets a green light?

I know theres only 2 of you developing the mobile version of FM but surely hiring an android developer and releasing it onto the android market would pay his/her wage.

• SI Staff
mintvilla

Thanks for the post, I have however seen that and many more of Googles developer videos - You might want to read the blurb on that video explanation This talk will cover the memory management changes in Gingerbread and Honeycomb (concurrent GC, heap-allocated bitmaps, "largeHeap" option) - thats what I was indicating the later devices (ie. recent tablets and ICS) do have more memory available .... however the bulk of devices out there don't have access to these options.

btw - memory used (RAM) is not the same as memory storage neither of which is the same as graphics storage (Dungeon Defenders I think has a minimum GPU RAM requirement probably for caching textures and suchlike which would be the bulk of their memory usage) - FMH is a totally different beast, we don't have large CPU requirements but instead put our strain on the main RAM and CPU.

PS - To reiterate I do like Android as a platform and sincerely hope one day we'll be able to release the game upon it ... should this happen I'll obviously let you lot know as soon as possible (if only so I can finally close this thread ;) ).

My question as to why your targetting a dead platform is still unanswered... I can genuinely say nobody i know has a psp or vita, they all use consoles for games or play games like angry birds, dead space, gta 3 etc on their phones. I guess it just seems to me like your putting money in the wrong place.

• SI Staff
My question as to why your targetting a dead platform is still unanswered... I can genuinely say nobody i know has a psp or vita, they all use consoles for games or play games like angry birds, dead space, gta 3 etc on their phones. I guess it just seems to me like your putting money in the wrong place.

I'm just a humble developer me - I don't do the business plans, but basing any business of 'hearsay' or to put it another way 'I don't know anyone who ...' is always foolhardy imho.

For instance around half of my friends play chess whereas only a couple like Angry Birds - therefore Chess must be a much more mainstream and 'fun' game than Angry Birds ;)

With regards to the on-going development of the PSP game - bear in mind it was created first when the PSP was an up and coming system - thus the largest development costs (ie. building the platform, UI etc.) were undertaken then ... evolving it in recent years has been a (comparative to making a new game from scratch) cheap undertaking which has helped make it a viable proposition ...

Cant we get someone from marketing to comment on this? The Vita will not take off if it does i'll eat my hat and post it on up... Everything i own is Android and i havent bought an fm since 2009 (yes im playing an old version) purely because i dont get on with steam. I would happily pay £20 for my version of fm on my galaxy tab. I'm so desperate to have it so i can play it on the train and when i'm a car passenger. I'll even throw my hat in the ring to try a beta version and believe me it would be played rigorously. I need a new version of fm in my life!

I'm desperate for it as you can tell!!

• SI Staff
Cant we get someone from marketing to comment on this?

I don't think you'll get anyone from marketing to comment on their business plans and suchlike - not least because it'd be foolish for them to layout their plans and reasoning publicly where rival publishers could read them.

(bear in mind few developers are as foolhardy as us lot to stick their heads out above the trenches and publicly discuss things with people .... ;) )

I need a new version of fm in my life!

I'm desperate for it as you can tell!!

Wow, it sounds like there needs to be a support network for those who aren't getting their FMH fix.

If you were that desperate for it, surely you'd save your hard earned pennies and buy a second hand PSP or a second hand/refurbished iPod Touch off eBay and then download the latest FMH? Maybe you could earn some extra money working as a consultant for Sony. I'm sure your industry insight into whether the Vita will take off will be invaluable to them ;)

I already work 2 jobs thanks and just bought myself a galaxy tab as I like the android platform. I will never buy an apple product. P.s why would I ever want to buy a PSP/Vita second hand or not they are simply not worth the money...

Purely out of interest - how would you define 800x480 in the manifest file? - I've looked into Android development and you can't actually specify a resolution in the manifest you can opt to support a screen size (which means small phone, smart phone, tablet roughly and not always accurately) and on later OS revisions (only) you are able to define things in terms of pixels per inch*

I suspect the best approach would be a 'free' market app that merely tests the device for compatibility - screen resolution, memory availability, potentially processor speed, storage. Give it a link to the paid-for app, and/or in-app purchases (inc. a link to the "Buy from the SI Games website" link for people that can't buy via Google Play).

I'd also suspect you're big enough to licence such a 'test' app to other commercial developers and/or develop it in conjunction with Google themselves. That's obviously a broader commitment that you may not want to take on.

I don't care. Give Android FM! :)

• SI Staff
I already work 2 jobs thanks and just bought myself a galaxy tab as I like the android platform.

Fair enough - I quite like Android myself, although the sooner the 'rough edges' are taken off it the easier it'll be for people like my wife to appreciate it imho.

(at the moment it reminds me a little of a good Linux distro - its quite usable and potentially incredibly powerful if you know what you're doing .... but also a bit hard to get used to initially)

I will never buy an apple product.

Why are you so anti-apple out of interest? - I tend to try and keep an open mind to pretty much most manufacturers myself.

P.s why would I ever want to buy a PSP/Vita second hand or not they are simply not worth the money...

I'd agree - but I've been looking more and more longingly at the PSP Vita in recent weeks, luckily my wife and kids haven't left me enough spending money to indulge myself ;)

IMHO I'm not sure why i'm so anti apple, could be something to do with most of the people i know that own Apple products being complete douche bags, and can't accept that they are not the best phones on the market.

I think once Android 4.0 rolls out across all decent Android handsets maybe it would make things that little bit more universal, that could potentially enable you to really look into rolling out like a 5-10 game demo? Using only the English Premier League? I do think a demo rolled out onto the higher end phones just like Sky have done with the SkyGo app could be a pretty good idea, target the Sony Ericsson, HTC and Samsung brands seeing as they're the most popular and see how it takes off?

I understand that you are a small team and are committed to delivering the best product you can on your current supported platforms and i do fully respect SI for that. I just really would love to play FMH on my Galaxy tab 10.1 or on my Desire HD.

Here's to hoping someone from Sega reads this and realises the huge potential for the Android platform, and would give you a little more budget to play about with Android. As i've said before, i'd be more than happy to BETA test anything you threw at the Android platform, although i'm probably at the back of the queue for that lol.

Thanks for the post, I have however seen that and many more of Googles developer videos - You might want to read the blurb on that video explanation This talk will cover the memory management changes in Gingerbread and Honeycomb (concurrent GC, heap-allocated bitmaps, "largeHeap" option)

At last count 66% of android is on 2.3 (gingerbread) or later, and the amount on less than 2.2 is negligible. But ultimately if many other game studios including SEGA with games like Sonic CD and Sonic 4 can work around Androids limits, then why are SI so unwilling to entertain the possibility.

• SI Staff
At last count 66% of android is on 2.3 (gingerbread) or later, and the amount on less than 2.2 is negligible.

I always make a point with my products of making them available to as many people as possible - thats why the iOS games support 3.0 and above etc. ....

Around 98% of users would be supported if 2.2 and above was supported so yes if we do an Android version in the future that'd be the line I'd aim at most likely.

But ultimately if many other game studios including SEGA with games like Sonic CD and Sonic 4 can work around Androids limits, then why are SI so unwilling to entertain the possibility.

Theres quite a big difference between Sonic and FMH, we're far more memory and processor hungry than Sonic is ... which makes it a challenging proposition for mobile platforms, especially when there is a huge amount of fragmentation.

PS - Please do understand I'm not unwilling in the slightest - I'm originally a Unix bod so love the concept of Android (as its Linux under the hood) .... but I am trying to explain the complications potentially involved in supporting the platform ...

I applaud your valiant effort in trying to curb Android user's expectations Marc, I understand where you're coming from.

But I personally think that Android 2.3+ is what you should be looking at supporting. Anything older than that is just worthless as they would have slower processors. People looking to play games on their phones will be investing in their handset and considering their handset in a more serious manner. Just look at the kinds of response you're getting in these queries.

Can you do this (techy stuff)? Can you do that(techy stuff)? Look at how you can play the old versions on your phone by doing (techy stuff)!!? Its all very techy and it borders on desperation and offers of collaboration.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you make this software open source, as people are desperate for this game to be on Android.

I think another thing to consider is, who is your clientèle? Are they ladies who want a lower powered "nice looking" smaller phone? Are they men who love the most up-to-date gadgets? Are they wealthy? Are they poor? How often are people upgrading their handsets? Every month? Every two years?

I'd love this game to be on Android, good luck on your quest to port it over in the next coming years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Right I'm allowed to admit to it now - the game is coming on the Android (and fairly soon at that ;) ) ...

This has been largely a labour of love for me, you chaps have requested it a fair bit so I spent a LOT of my spare time writing a prototype and persuading people it was viable, it went into proper production and should be out soon - if its supported (ie. purchased by the community) then it'll become an ongoing franchise like on iOS, if not then I'll look silly for suggesting it to SEGA/SI in the first place ... entirely in your court now chaps ;)

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!11oneeleven

You beauty!!!

I have been waiting for this day for years!

All that business about "Android is too fragmented" and "We currently have no plans to release an Android version"! You were just playing with us!!

My battery is gonna be taking a real pounding from Wednesday onwards.

I only have one question: Are teams in the BSS available to manage? I'm going to take Eastleigh to the CL!

• SI Staff
All that business about "Android is too fragmented" and "We currently have no plans to release an Android version"! You were just playing with us!!

Wasn't playing with you at all - it was definitely a challenging undertaking ... and I did try and subtly change my answers once the product got approved and into development inhouse (ie. just indicating it had challenges which were unique to the platform and saying it wasn't announced rather than not happening) .... I did indicate as soon as it was possible we'd let you chaps know, and we have :D

My mum did a good job, I try not to lie ... but I'm open to subtle mis-direction ;)

I only have one question: Are teams in the BSS available to manage? I'm going to take Eastleigh to the CL!

Yes you'll be able to play down to the Conference North/South on the Android version.

Just to fill in for anyone passing - any Android device with Android 2.2 (or above) and 480x320 resolution (or above) should be able to play the game. Its been tested heavily on a wide range of devices from the original Droid (remember that) upwards.

Hey mark I noticed that it says the resolution minimum is 480x320, so higher resolution devices, will it just be that stretched such as FMH on iphone4 before the retina update, or truly at the natives res of the phone so say 960x540?

Hi Marc,

I just registered to say thanks for your efforts pushing this through; having spent a lot of time trying to persuade Miles that it was a good idea on Twitter (he was adamant that there were far too many hurdles for it to be viable in the forseeable future) I know it can't have been easy! To overcome so much resistance it really has to have been a labour of love.

Cheers,

Gavin

p.s. I'll definitely be buying it on the 11th - it's compatible with the standard HTC Desire running 2.2, right?

• SI Staff
Hey mark I noticed that it says the resolution minimum is 480x320, so higher resolution devices, will it just be that stretched such as FMH on iphone4 before the retina update, or truly at the natives res of the phone so say 960x540?

The way it works is that there are several different resolutions available and it uses the optimal one it can find for your device and then centers it (if there isn't a totally on the ball resolution, if there is it doesn't need to obviously ;) ).

For your phone it'd run with the UI at 800x480 centered on the device.

Post release presuming it sells reasonably I've already booked some 'artist' time to support additional resolutions as 'native' (ie. filling 100% of the screen with the UI) according to which prove most popular - at present tbh we don't have concrete numbers for how many of each device there is out there, so we've tried to support things sensibly and will as always be looking to proactively support and evolve the game once its released.

PS - The reason I didn't just scale was that scaling on uneven multiples gave the text and general UI a really 'fuzzy' look which wasn't particularly nice unfortunately, it is something I looked into.

• SI Staff
p.s. I'll definitely be buying it on the 11th - it's compatible with the standard HTC Desire running 2.2, right?

Yes in fact I'm 90% certain we have just that phone and OS configuration in the SI QA labs :D

I've gone to great lengths to try and ensure that the game should be stable and sane on ALL Android devices which meet the spec (ie. 2.2 with 480x320 or above) - post-release if anyone has any issues as with all our products just let me know and I'll work on ensuring they're sorted out asap.

Thanks Marc - my main worry was the low amount of internal storage on the Desire, but I can delete all that other junk I have on my phone (who needs an internet browser anyway?). I look forward to playing it :)

Hopefully it is A2SD compatible! :D

• SI Staff
Thanks Marc - my main worry was the low amount of internal storage on the Desire, but I can delete all that other junk I have on my phone (who needs an internet browser anyway?). I look forward to playing it :)

With some of the older devices (we've got it working on an original Droid for instance) you have to be careful about whats installed and/or have an SD Card for the data - but it should work fine on pretty much any device which is above spec.

• SI Staff
Thank you very much!!!!!!!! I waiting this day and every day read this forum . I have LG OPTIMUS 2X resolution 480х800 with Tegra 2 , I hope it will be work . Can you confirm Marc ? Thanks

I don't have one of those devices in my little collection here* - but I'd be confident it'd work fine on that. If you do have any problems please obviously just let me know and we'd get them sorted out asap for you anyway.

*My little collection -

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/3/1/3272480/20120402_215529.jpg

Marc

You little beauty..... these past few months youve gotton a lot of stick (from me included) but its my bday tomorrow and this is the best bday present i could hope for i just want to say, thank you for making this even if you was being very coy about it for a long time lol

I will be purchasing it first thing on weds...

Do you know if it will work on tablets? i have a samsung galaxy s2 running Ice cream sandwhich, am sure it will work fine on that, but i also have an asus transformer, if it works on that screen resolution of 1200x800?

Also since your neck is slightly on the line, have you considered, the same way you do a demo of the full game, where you can play up until christmas? you should release an add supported demo version where you can only play til christmas, this way that game with it being free will download a ton, and get to the very top of the android makret, allowing alot of users to discover the game, and will likely to not only lead to more sales, but also more revenue from since the demo will be add supported and well if angry birds can make over a million quid a month in ad revenue am sure you guys can to (also it will be ongoing revenue where as app purchasers always start off with alot then slow down after a few months.)

PS am so telling everyone i know with an android phone to buy this!

• SI Staff
Do you know if it will work on tablets? i have a samsung galaxy s2 running Ice cream sandwhich, am sure it will work fine on that, but i also have an asus transformer, if it works on that screen resolution of 1200x800?

My own phone is a Galaxy S2 - glad to hear ICS is on yours as its not available for mine in the US yet (waiting impatiently for it at present) - so I know that you'll be fine on that, we also support that with a new 800x480 skin so its full screen and all singing and dancing :D

We have a transformer in QA I believe and it works fine on that - although its not quite full screen (it runs the largest skin possible and centers it rather than stretch and have it go blurry). We will also be listening to feedback post-release and looking to create additional skins to support the most popular unsupported resolutions in their native format post release (simply put we have no idea which resolutions presently are popular as there aren't accurate figures on such things available unfortunately).

My own phone is a Galaxy S2 - glad to hear ICS is on yours as its not available for mine in the US yet (waiting impatiently for it at present) - so I know that you'll be fine on that, we also support that with a new 800x480 skin so its full screen and all singing and dancing :D

We have a transformer in QA I believe and it works fine on that - although its not quite full screen (it runs the largest skin possible and centers it rather than stretch and have it go blurry). We will also be listening to feedback post-release and looking to create additional skins to support the most popular unsupported resolutions in their native format post release (simply put we have no idea which resolutions presently are popular as there aren't accurate figures on such things available unfortunately).

Thanks for hearing us and making it happen! I'd also like a 1280x800 skin for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I think other Tab owners from last year would also appreciate it :)

• SI Staff
Thanks for hearing us and making it happen! I'd also like a 1280x800 skin for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I think other Tab owners from last year would also appreciate it :)

tbh I'm expecting that we'll be doing an ultra-HD tablet skin for people in the near future once its out - but as I said earlier we'll wait and see what feedback is regarding which resolutions are most command and what is wanted most with regards to prioritizing such things (at the moment unfortunately there isn't much information regarding which resolution devices are out there really).

tbh I'm expecting that we'll be doing an ultra-HD tablet skin for people in the near future once its out - but as I said earlier we'll wait and see what feedback is regarding which resolutions are most command and what is wanted most (at the moment unfortunately there isn't much information regarding which resolution devices are out there really).

I was considering getting an Android when my current deal with a Blackberry expires in a couple of months time and this just cemented it.

tbh I'm expecting that we'll be doing an ultra-HD tablet skin for people in the near future once its out - but as I said earlier we'll wait and see what feedback is regarding which resolutions are most command and what is wanted most with regards to prioritizing such things (at the moment unfortunately there isn't much information regarding which resolution devices are out there really).

Thanks Marc, fantastic, so long as it works on tablets thats fine by me. TBH the vast majority of android tablets run the 1200x800 screen, only some of the smaller ones like kindle fire i think have a smaller screen res and obvs that didnt come out in europe where the majority of your sales are likely to come. Hopefully alot of android users will download this for their tablets and we'll get the HD version :)

bar it requiring android 2.2 are there any other min requirements for this? like processor speed or amount of ram?

Thanks again for all your hard work, youve really made my day!

(also i also saw your post on eurodroid which is a great lil android website, thats not as mainstream as the big android centrals etc)

This is fantastic news. I own 3 Android devices(Transforner, Desire HD and a Samsung Galaxy WiFi player) and I have been eagerly awaiting this. Fear not, you have definitely got my support. Any ideas how much space the game will take up in terms of storage?

Its a shame that there's no way of having online savegame storage to continue a game from your tablet to your phone, would be ideal for train journeys in to work. Saying that, i might have a English game going from my tablet and a Spanish one from my phone.

Well done to the team for listening to their customers and keep up the good work.

• SI Staff
This is fantastic news. I own 3 Android devices(Transforner, Desire HD and a Samsung Galaxy WiFi player) and I have been eagerly awaiting this. Fear not, you have definitely got my support. Any ideas how much space the game will take up in terms of storage?

The game is designed to be as compact as possible and it also only downloads the skin files required for the device you install upon - this makes the total installation (roughly) around 160-180Mb or so (depending on the resolution of the skin installed) although I'd recommend you retain an additional 10Mb or so minimum for save game storage (each save game will be between 3-4Mb in size).

This was vital in ensuring that the game works upon the older Android devices which in some cases are quite storage challenged.

Its a shame that there's no way of having online savegame storage to continue a game from your tablet to your phone, would be ideal for train journeys in to work. Saying that, i might have a English game going from my tablet and a Spanish one from my phone.

You could easily do this if you install the game onto an SD card and save there - then you just swap the card from one to another ....

(Online storage mediums are something I'm planning ot look into in the future at some point for both iOS and Android btw - but first things first, I want to keep an eye on this release before getting carried away with future plans ;) )

• SI Staff
bar it requiring android 2.2 are there any other min requirements for this? like processor speed or amount of ram?

Only requirements are Android 2.2 (or above), 480x320 resolution (or above) - with regards to RAM/Processor speed obviously the more the merrier, but its been tested on some lean machines in these regards and will run fine on them.

(for example one of the things I ensured we did was getting a fair few first generation Android devices such as the original Android Milestone into QA for testing purposes, it runs fine on that - the game itself is designed to be fairly compact in memory so should be fine on any kind of RAM setup so long as its got something sensible (say 128Mb or above which I think all Android devices have) and the processor will just affect quite how fast it runs, it flies nicely on my Samsung S2)

Thanks again for all your hard work, youve really made my day!

You're more than welcome - I hope you enjoy the game :D

(also i also saw your post on eurodroid which is a great lil android website, thats not as mainstream as the big android centrals etc)

Heh - I get around ;)

Archived