I feel robbed, how was this not offside???

HOW the heck can u be offside from a corner ?? have u seen a corner when the ball is played forward ??

Although you're not wrong about not being offside from a corner - its nothing to do with the ball being played forwards/backwards, as you can still be offside if the ball is played backwards and you are ahead of it (the ball) and turn to get it.

You can't be offside from a corner due to no player being ahead of the ball - you are either level or behind it.

Although you're not wrong about not being offside from a corner - its nothing to do with the ball being played forwards/backwards, as you can still be offside if the ball is played backwards and you are ahead of it (the ball) and turn to get it.

Are you sure on that bit? I thought the ball had to be played forward before you can be offside?

Are you sure on that bit? I thought the ball had to be played forward before you can be offside?

Many do

Offside position

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the

second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play or

• he is level with the second-last opponent or

• he is level with the last two opponents

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball

touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,

involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or

• interfering with an opponent or

• gaining an advantage by being in that position

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick

• a throw-in

• a corner kick

The laws do not state anywhere that the ball has to be played forward/backward

I think the direction of the ball is irrelevant, the only thing that really matters is that the player receiving the ball is behind or in front of the ball.

A backwards pass to a player ahead of the ball would still be offside, should he manage to get to it.

fair play, just goes to show how complicated some of the rules are now a days!

Edit: AH i think i now get what the original point was, i was thinking more of a ball played backwards to a player offside, like a cut back situation.

:D indeed - if its cut back and the receiving player is behind the ball then its not offside

Thats the main point isnt it, player must be behind the ball, not the ball must be played forward?

The main point is the receiving player must be behind or level with the player passing. Which is generally going to be the case with a cut back, but it's nothing to do with whether the player is behind or in front of the ball.

Of course there is, not everyone who follows football knows the rules inside out, even if you do.

Like I said, its not one of the more complex rules. Like the everchanging 'offside' rules regarding inactive/active players in certain phases of play. Not being offside from a throw is a rule that has been around for donkeys years and any self respecting football fan should know this. Especially somebody as old as the OP. If it was a 10 year old then fair enough. Just my opinion of course but I'd be embarrased if I didnt know that a rule like that.

Well, then he probably just ran off the end during an attack of some sort it happens. In any case, in both pictures he was half on as you mentioned. Both the ball and players are only deemed to be out in a case that they are fully over the line, though for players it doesn't normally matter. The position of players is rarely important outside the offside law.

In summation you were not robbed, but hey... Have a good day!

Or maybe the game was simulating a thirsty player getting a drink of the league's official energy drink during a lull in the game, or simulating what my friend did during his (rugby) cup final and provided the half time entertainment by getting his lad out. There are many ways where you can temporarily leave the pitch without the referee needing to signal you back on.

Many do

A player is in an offside position if:

he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the

second-last opponent

[...]

The laws do not state anywhere that the ball has to be played forward/backward

Actually they do state it in an indirect way ;)

You can be offside after a corner... If the goalkeeper isn't behind the ball, isn't it automatically treated as offside?

Amazing topic by the way. :D

The rules state that you cannot be offside when receiving the ball directly from a corner. The position of the players is irrelevant.

The rules state that you cannot be offside when receiving the ball directly from a corner. The position of the players is irrelevant.

Makes more sense. Then it's an exception. Thanks for clearing that out ;)

You can be offside after a corner... If the goalkeeper isn't behind the ball, isn't it automatically treated as offside?

Amazing topic by the way. :D

Its perfectly possible to be onside and the goalkeeper ahead of the ball during open play.

If the rules say you can't, then whatever happens and whatever positioning, you can't be offside from a corner. PERIOD.

I think this rule exists so that in the very unlikely situation that a player is offside, he would always be offside by a few inches and that would always be a controversial decision.

By the way someone said above that the game should have more refereeing mistakes - NO! I keep conceding dubious goals and I get upset, now imagine if I watch my team concede goals from clear offsides!

Best GD thread for a long time.

Archived