Football Manager 2011 official announcement

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very exciting news. It really looks to me like SI kind of ran out of big ideas for this year, so what they did was take a closer look at the forums than ever before. They've worked on the four big issues we've pleaded for most loudly - dynamic leagues, rejigged training, manager-to-player interaction and player contracts. I mean this not as a criticism, but in an entirely positive way.

Two-thumbs-up, SI!!!

I would be surprised if this raises legal issues, but I would love to see real journalists named in the game and with sketchy "real" personalities too. As an avid watcher of Sky's Sunday Supplement the charachters & opinions of these guys makes them just as importanat figures in the football world to me as the managers or even most minor players, I imagine their egos would be massaged by their named inclusion in the game and as newspapers get namechecks in the game nowadays, and as the in-game press conferences dont really throw up real controversy, I feel there should be no licensing / slander issues? For me it would make the press conferences more relevant :-)

Well..... isn't it nice when you watch some Soith American football game on ESPN, and you spot this good player who plays for a Colombian side, then you go and search for him on FM.......... and you find a "gem"?

World football is full of gems that we would proabably never get to manage because they'd dissapper after a while.

Or maybe, if your favourite striker is Lisandro Lopez, and you want to make him the best striker in the world EVER (!!!) by scoring bags of goals for you, ending up the top goalscorer for 20 seasons running?? Then finally when you get bored of him, you sell him and buy your other favourite striker, say Luis Fabiano, and try to make him better than the previous one(s)??

You can say that their ability players a part of them achieving or not achieving it, but I once has Chamak in my team, I played the teams' tactics to his strengths....... and he managed to get me 60 odd goals in 50 odd matches. And everyone know Chamck is not exactly world class.

That is possibly one of the most insane ideas I've ever heard - it's got nothing to do with realism and real football. And the word 'insane' was chosen carefully, plenty of other, more colourful adjectives I could have used. Part of the challenge of real-life managers is in dealing with the complex mechanism of team-building in which not only talent is a factor (as you evidently seem to intimate) but also age, injuries, intra-personal relationships, experience etc. This is simulated (sometimes excellently, sometimes less so) in FM and I see no reason why this should change, or why anybody would want it to, frankly.

I would be surprised if this raises legal issues, but I would love to see real journalists named in the game and with sketchy "real" personalities too. As an avid watcher of Sky's Sunday Supplement the charachters & opinions of these guys makes them just as importanat figures in the football world to me as the managers or even most minor players, I imagine their egos would be massaged by their named inclusion in the game and as newspapers get namechecks in the game nowadays, and as the in-game press conferences dont really throw up real controversy, I feel there should be no licensing / slander issues? For me it would make the press conferences more relevant :-)

If you download any of the media and journalist files knocking about, you DO get real journalist and media outlet names and in some cases, especially the better-known British journalists, they come with a specific personality (be it deceitful, enthusiastic, experienced etc). Drop me a PM in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Totally unrelated to the announcement but I would like to know if Miles enjoyed his day out at Clarence Park recently for the Watford friendly. :D

You were spotted by my friend, a fellow Saints fan, who said he saw you by the club shop and the burger van. He couldn't confirm if you were feasting on the fine cuisine served up at the Park or whether you were actually stocking up on quality St. Albans City merchandise. Personally, I suspect both. But he was able to tell me that you were apparently shorter than he expected and that you 'looked confused'. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us when visiting the home of the mighty Saints. Confusion is just one of the side effects. :D

Totally unrelated to the announcement but I would like to know if Miles enjoyed his day out at Clarence Park recently for the Watford friendly. :D

You were spotted by my friend, a fellow Saints fan, who said he saw you by the club shop and the burger van. He couldn't confirm if you were feasting on the fine cuisine served up at the Park or whether you were actually stocking up on quality St. Albans City merchandise. Personally, I suspect both. But he was able to tell me that you were apparently shorter than he expected and that you 'looked confused'. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us when visiting the home of the mighty Saints. Confusion is just one of the side effects. :D

Non-League side with club shop? I'm jealous. Ours is about the size of your average kitchen cupboard!

What so bloody good with regens for crying out loud? Would you rather have some dude called Jiri Kovac in your team or someone like Leonil Messi?? NO CONTEST!

Not too keen to get involved in this but I think that while managing known players does offer something nice there was a point in time when they weren't known. Every great player in the game today wasn't known (outside of a small majority who may have seen their team or country's youth games) to 99% of the public. Then they make a splash and voilla you have Lionel Messi or Ronaldo or.... the list goes on

I agree with the point about seeing a game and then finding that gem in the game - I remember watching Ronaldo for Sporting against Man Utd before he transferred so I can understand that.

Perhaps what you real request might be is better ways for the "gems" to be unearthed. I for one would love better scouting that says something along the lines of "X scout has heard of an incredible talent" or your scout spots a great player in an U17's international or as in the case of Ronaldo a teenager rips your team a new one when you play them.... The only thing that I guess stops this to an extent is that the major clubs KNOW of these players because of their vast scouting networks so unlike say Euro 96 when the Czech players came to prominence in their early 20's these day's they'd have been identified years before. This world cup is the first for years where a few players playing for smaller clubs have come to prominence (Ozil and Sanchez for 2)

As for the rest - Regens are an important part of the games longevity and while you are free to play the game as suits your taste I think you're wasting your time and energy rallying against one of the most concrete elements of the game!

Where the Egyptian Premier League in the game with the Egyptian Premier League the best League in Africa and the Egyptian team football was the ninth world ranking , why is not there is any interest in Africa or Egypt .

I hope to get an answer !!

• SI Staff
I, personally, would love it; absolutely love it if SI get rid of those daft regens! Or at least they should give us an option where we can choose before the start of any game not to have any regens in it.

You should have a look at our online multiplayer game, Football Manager Live, as the "returning stars" gameworld is something that may interest you - players do age, but when they retire, they regenerate as themselves as an earlier age - http://www.footballmanagerlive.com

Great news!! We have a new football manager game to play. But I have a question, is there any possibility we could play this on Linux systems?

We will not be offering Linux support.

Will in FM 2011 Achievement system? And if yes I hope in the better system.

We will be using Steam achievements again, and there will be new ones.

Great work guys this fm is looking so sweet, and nice video miles great job,

I like the shirt u had on right at the beginning if you don't mind me asking could you tell me where you got if from please.

http://store.glennz.com/

• SI Staff

I did have a good day - not exactly the first time I've been to Clarence Park - many years ago I used to go to college in St.Albans for 2 years, so was there quite a bit.

I did have a burger, which was just about edible, and the confusion was caused by a Watford fan who I and the people I was with hadn't seen before singing very strange songs very loudly for the whole game. I didn't buy any merch though...

Non-League side with club shop? I'm jealous. Ours is about the size of your average kitchen cupboard!

Well, when I say club shop, it basically consists of a small shed-like structure in which about two people can get into at any one time. That and a couple of tables outside it displaying the latest replica shirts etc. :D

I did have a good day - not exactly the first time I've been to Clarence Park - many years ago I used to go to college in St.Albans for 2 years, so was there quite a bit.

A closet Saints fan then? ;)

I did have a burger, which was just about edible, and the confusion was caused by a Watford fan who I and the people I was with hadn't seen before singing very strange songs very loudly for the whole game. I didn't buy any merch though...

The mad chap in the main stand singing by himself? The embarrassing thing is that he is actually a Saints fan and there most weeks singing like that. Turns out his other team is Watford! :D

Hope you enjoyed the game anyway. I thought it wasn't bad for a pre-season friendly and we put up a pretty decent fight for much of the game.

Good luck to Watford this season. :thup:

Im almost certain this wont be a feature in this year's release but it's something I would really like to see. I use two computers generally to play FM, which is fine with Steam of course. However, when I want to play the same game on two different machines, i have to constantly copy/paste my game file between the two computers. Its not the end of the world but it would be fantastic if Steam could store your games, as well, so that when you log on to your own FM account, you instantly have access to all games played with that account... I dont know if it's even possible, but if it is, any chance at all Miles? I assume this wont be possible this year, but perhaps in the future?

Well, when I say club shop, it basically consists of a small shed-like structure in which about two people can get into at anyone time. That and a couple of tables outside it displaying the latest replica shirts etc. :D

That sounds more like it! Nice kind Nike have done ours out and it is a lot better, but they can't make it any bigger. It's even more frustrating when you consider that there is a megastore less than 20 metres away, that is solely used by S**e S**ks. (I refuse to write their name. If you're confused, they are a rugby premiership team with the second name similar to the characters within)

Just because Sky tell everyone the EPL is the best league doesn't necessarily mean its true.

Oh I wasn't using sky as my main source for reaching that conclusion. Was more the fact that the prem has had the higher number of CL semi finalists than any other league. It would be fair to say that la Liga has overtaken the prem in the last two years though.

I, personally, would love it; absolutely love it if SI get rid of those daft regens! Or at least they should give us an option where we can choose before the start of any game not to have any regens in it.

Players age should stay the same and that’s it! Or at least make them restart their careers all over again as 16-17 years old.

I don’t want any of my favourite players retiring. I buy this game because I want to manage REAL players, not some boring, fake ones.

Well i dont think that should happen, but it defiantly has room for improvement on the re-gen side of things. Its a little like a dark era of football once you hit the 12 season mark.

Some youngsters take longer to bloom and some start strong but dont go on to become the world beater people think, But its all about finding them. Plus the national teams get way biased towards the leagues that play in.

I think that if Shevchenko retires a new Ukrainian player should appear in a youth team, who will go on to be a similar player. obviously you wouldn't know who it was though. That keeps the game even throughout.

Anyways back to FM11.... can't wait for all these new features to be announced. Love the agents thing, although i'm sure it will frustrate the hell out of me when i play (in a good way)

New training.... wait and see. But i'm sure it will be brilliant.

Can't wait

They would have to put it in PR/publicity because a lot of people will not buy it if they don't use licenses.

I know thats why they would never do it. Im just thining of all the people that have logo/kit/face megapacks which contain all of the ingame ones anyway. Its easy enough to add files. The money they spend on licenses could be used in better areas IMO but I do understand why they do it.

I know thats why they would never do it. Im just thining of all the people that have logo/kit/face megapacks which contain all of the ingame ones anyway. Its easy enough to add files. The money they spend on licenses could be used in better areas IMO but I do understand why they do it.

I'm sure glad they do it. I always forget fixing Germany and such, and it's so annoying when I'm way down the line and it can't be changed. Not like SI could advertise it in any way either, as the lawyers would have a field day with them. Which is surely why nobody can talk about how to fix it in this very forum. Besides, the vast majority of players do not do anything with their game. Even all the people on this forum is a small minority of FM players. Would be a terrible shame if at some point down the line perhaps no players could have their real name and such.

I guess he'll be waitin' for the last patch, so he doesn't has to argue about bugs like he did when FM10 came out. :p

I actually worked it out after I posted. Fair enough. :thup:

I must say that, in my opinion, FM10 was the most playable 'out of the box' version of the whole series up to this point.

I actually worked it out after I posted. Fair enough. :thup:

I must say that, in my opinion, FM10 was the most playable 'out of the box' version of the whole series up to this point.

Agree with you there and after the 3rd patch it was the best managment simulation ever IMO. Let's hope FM11 ups the standards. :thup:

Players age should stay the same and that’s it! Or at least make them restart their careers all over again as 16-17 years old.

I don’t want any of my favourite players retiring. I buy this game because I want to manage REAL players, not some boring, fake ones.

Twenty years ago, there was no Lionel Messi the footballer, or Wayne Rooney the footballer, or Xavi the footballer, or Andre Oojier the footballer. When Maradona, or Le Tissier, or Guardiola, or De Boer retired, did they "start their careers again"? No! But new players continued to be born and rise to fame.

Hi, I am from Argentina, so I can't preorder the game in foreign stores, so I would like to preorder it on steam so I can start playing from day one.. Does anyone know when the game will be available to preorder? There will be any price reduction for preorders?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all, I just got a new MBP and although I probably will be using Steam to get the download and hence can install it on Windows and Mac PCs, I was wondering if the Mac version is a complete rewrite of the FM sourcecode or if they just port the windows version on to a mac. I'm asking this because even though my mac is more powerful interms of RAM, Gfx and Processor, the performance rating that the FM10 gives is 2.5 stars whilst my Windows laptop gets a 5 star rating. Any clarity on this is appreciated, thanks :)

Hey all, I just got a new MBP and although I probably will be using Steam to get the download and hence can install it on Windows and Mac PCs, I was wondering if the Mac version is a complete rewrite of the FM sourcecode or if they just port the windows version on to a mac. I'm asking this because even though my mac is more powerful interms of RAM, Gfx and Processor, the performance rating that the FM10 gives is 2.5 stars whilst my Windows laptop gets a 5 star rating. Any clarity on this is appreciated, thanks :)

The star system is flawed. SI already know about it. Just ignore it :thup:

What I think would be a good idea is that SI could contact the creators of the massive face pack and logos pack from susie, when the transfer markets shut, and give them the unique Ids of all the players and clubs in the game so they can get to work making there packs before the release of FM11. This way it'll just be like we have the licences of the leagues we dont have licences for. :thup:

Once miles gets the 100 million out of his pocket to pay fifa off for the rights we mite get them ;)

And Miles will only get that £100m if people stop pirating the game, we have runaway inflation and there is a bank error in his favour. A few passes of "Go" could help, I suppose.

What I think would be a good idea is that SI could contact the creators of the massive face pack and logos pack from susie, when the transfer markets shut, and give them the unique Ids of all the players and clubs in the game so they can get to work making there packs before the release of FM11. This way it'll just be like we have the licences of the leagues we dont have licences for. :thup:

And then they're cooperating with putting unlicensed stuff in the game and they get sued. Have you noticed you don't find these packs at this official forum?

And Miles will only get that £100m if people stop pirating the game, we have runaway inflation and there is a bank error in his favour. A few passes of "Go" could help, I suppose.

And when he has the fifa will just higher the price, because, well, they're just greedy bastards. (I'm sure the WC and WC bid books has proven that)

Archived