Worst World Champions Ever?

djvandyke

The team is talented. They obviously aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. They did win.

I just found their style of play nearly as boring as Italy 2006. Nearly. :D I also wish it hadn't been Iniesta to take such a dive, then score the winner. I liked him...

finals usually are lousy games, even more when one of the teams is a newcomer and the other had really deserved it twice in the past. Nerves can kill the best of the players...

and of course kung fu mixed with catenaccio tactics (lol) by one of the sides, even more.

Anyway I guess for the casual watcher it might have seemed as a lousy game. Believe me, for me it was the most intense game I've ever lived, so can't really tell...difficult to really assess the quality of a match when you're so deeply involved with one of the teams :)

Oypus: Spain bases its gamestyle on similar basis to that of, for instance, Guardiola's Barcelona. Hard pressing to recover the ball up high, the highest the better, conserve the ball and move it around until an opening is found, and then accelerate the pace of the ball in the last 1/3 of the field. Spain however uses a double pivot configuration (Alonso-Busquets) with one playmaker MC (Xavi), while Barça relies on a single DMC and two MCs. That's almost the only difference tactically speaking, but doctrine is the same.

I can't really understand how that "stile of play" is "boring" while Barcelona has been widely recognized as the most offensive, entertaining, and attracting team to see during the last 2 years. I think that the fault is not on our side. We did play the style and doctrine we wanted and it's of an offensive football based on posession, ball handling and smart use of spaces. The problem is that every team we've faced has closed shop on us and placed at least 10 players out of 11 between the ball and their goal, closing spaces and giving up attack unless in fast but limited in numbers counterattacks. And at times against very agressive teams (when not downright violent, as in the Final)

Against such teams, to play brilliant, shiny and attractive football is very very difficult, yet at times we were brilliant. When one of the teams goes ultradefensive it has to really mess it up for the other team to shine, yet we did shine in some games. I think that Spain is not getting the credit it deserves for the football proposal we did, because we always had to deal with teams that would simply go catenaccio on us and playing against that kind of opposition is really hard, much more if you want to win with shiny football.

Anyway what do I care...we're champions! :D

Mark, honest question here... aren't you angry at your nat coach?. I mean, the Dutch team has always had a style earned after decades of brilliant football (or at least: an attacking doctrine and active search for excellence in offensive), a heritage created since the 70s, by guys as Cruyff, Neeskens, Rijkaard, Gullit, Bergkamp, and the likes.

Seeing tonight's game, don't you think that your guys have betrayed all of that going for the style they went?. As I said, it's an honest question, I've always been an admirer of dutch football. Heck, I'm a Barça fan and you know how much Barcelona owes the Dutch football style and doctrines since the arrival of Johann in the 70s (and even more after his time as coach).

All I know is that if Barcelona EVER does a match like tonight I'll feel really bad about it, even while winning it. 40 years of offensive tradition down the sink in a single stroke...would be something I'd have a hard time seeing in my favorite team...

To answer, I will post two direct and unaltered quote from me posting on FB earlier:

Spain were the better team. However, the refereeing was outrageously poor. No consistency, especially in the card department. De Jong should have been sent off for sure, Mark van Bommel should be sent off in every match he ever plays in based on principle alone. On the other hand, give similar punishment for similar fouls to either team.

Van Marwijk out, please. I can't stand to see Oranje play this way.

And Robben choked. 'Nuff said.

Well, credit where it is due, the least star-studded Dutch team (aside from van Gaal's reign, snort) in the last 20 or so years has accomplished what the RvN's etc. could not. I just can't help but feel like it's not the Holland I love to watch. Nostalgic, I suppose, but not a single match did I truly feel like we were doing all we could and had ... See Morethe potential to do. An own goal doing Denmark in, an uninspiring 1-0 victory over Japan, frayed nerves watching the cameroon game, a fluke win over Brazil due to a horrendous goalkeeping error on a long-distance free kick.

There was no flair, no beauty. It was conservative, fortuitous play, from where I was sitting. Plus I really dislike v Bommel, his bizarre combination of ruthlessness and Oscarworthy theatrics, and I was very surprised that v Persie kept being put in at striker, when a return of one goal in seven matches is quite low. Why not give Huntelaar a chance? Even Kuyt perhaps as a striker, or something.

I far from consider my own opinion as gospel, I just felt that v Persie never displayed the things you want to see in a "lone" striker, he wasn't there for rebounds, often seemed out of position and only once showed that "killer" instinct.

Short answer: Yes. I've been complaining about van Marwijk since the game against Denmark. This style of football is the exact opposite of why Dutch football is loved by so many. It is not exciting, it is not fun to watch, it is a mess. Even in the group games, when they did control possession against weaker teams they could not do much with the ball, and I was just waiting for that short passing game, the insight, the individual brilliance and the cleverness that I have grown accustomed to. I miss Dennis Bergkamp.

To elaborate. They are a very skilled side, and have done well, but they are hardly an unbeatable machine. Take for instance the 2010 Switzerland side ;)

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying they're an "unbeatable machine", I'm saying they could beat any side ever... key word being could. For a start they'd almost certainly have the majority of posession against any international side and probably have more of a chance at winning, whoever the opposition.

Thanks Mark. I really thought you would say something along those lines.

If anything I've learned being a Barcelona fan and Spanish fan (Spain has been, as a national team, an offensive-minded team since the 90s), is that betting on the offensive and flair is always a sure bet. You might win or not, but you are always remembered for what you did even when you failed to win a trophy. That's why the Dutch national team of '74 and '78 will be always remembered no matter they lost. That's why '82 Brazil will always be a legend, no matter they didn't win (is the first WC I have memories of, and I can't remember anything from Italy or Germany -nor from Spain for that matter, other than we sucked, lol-. But I do vividly recall the likes of Socrates entering eternity). That's why I'll always hold that in USA'94 the deserving finalists should've been Spain and Holland (and you should've won that one, man, that was some team I liked to see playing...that 3-2 in the QFs against brazil was simply so unfair)...

I really hope you kick van Marwijk and bring some good coach for the role, who returns to the path that has brought the Orange the style that gave your teams legendary status, if not WC trophies. For me it was a shocking (and nasty) surprise to see a side I so much admire for their usual style and offensive doctrine as the Dutch National team trying to do what they did tonight.

One thing I have to give your players, though. They really fought until the last second, and staying in the field to congratulate the spanish team after the trophy award ceremony was pure class. But I really hated what I saw in the match coming from them...

go back to your usual proposal, be loyal to it, and I'm sure, you'll sooner or later grab the title. You lost it three times and twice really deserved it (not tonight, sorry ;)). I'm sure you'll get to see it soon. Anything can happen...had anyone told me in 2006 that in 2010 we'd be Eurocup and WC champions playing an offensive doctrine and style (or that Barcelona would win 6 out of 6 last year the way they did) I'd have laughed my ass off in disbelief... :)

I think the Dutch have to play in whatever way brings them more success, even if it's ugly, just like we (Brazil) have to do the same, that 1982 team was nice and one of the best that didn't win the WC, but I would rather have Dunga for eternity as our manager or any of the several other pragmatic managers we have if it means winning the title again, than playing beautiful football and losing. Winning have to always come first, even if the neutrals don't like it.

So for me: 1994 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1982

I am sure the Dutch would be similarly much happier if their team won playing ugly football.

I was 9 years old for USA '94 but I remember the squad and that fated game against Brazil. One might have wondered if playing vd Sar instead of de Goey would have made a difference. We got the short end of things in France '98, despite playing some of my favorite football. God help me if I have to think about 2002 again, but all in all, I do hope that v Marwijk goes. Rijkaard did a great job at Euro 2000, I thought Marco v Basten did good as well. I believe that we should be true to ourselves, and play the Total Football way.

I think the Dutch have to play in whatever way brings them more success, even if it's ugly, just like we (Brazil) have to do the same, that 1982 team was nice and one of the best that didn't win the WC, but I would rather have Dunga for eternity as our manager or any of the several other pragmatic managers we have if it means winning the title again, than playing beautiful football and losing. Winning have to always come first, even if the neutrals don't like it.

So for me: 1994 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1982

I am sure the Dutch would be similarly much happier if their team won playing ugly football.

Actually at some point I half hoped we would not win so we could get rid of van Marwijk. I like to enjoy watching football. I don't want to watch boring football, and above and beyond all of it, I am embarrassed to death to have a team that dives and fakes injuries and plays dirty and unfairly. It just makes me sick. I hate teams that play like that. (Looking at you, Portugal) And I would not stand for it as a coach/manager, and especially as a referee. I think that a confirmed "Schwalbe" should be an automatic yellow, and playing while being Mark v Bommel should be an automatic red.

I am pretty sure though I saw many Dutch users here pretty happy with this style, as it brought them to the final, but of course there will always be people (like you) who think differently, and that's fine of course.

But I would never swap a title for just playing beautiful football.

PLMF: I find that your argument is basically flawed: you don't have to give up your style to win anything. Spain certainly didn't and see what has brought us : Eurocup and World cup in 2 magic years. I honestly think that with the players Brazil has, it could win the World Cup with an offensive proposal. Of course, with an adequate coach. You seem to like Dunga, the same guy who kept Marcelo (best brazilian LB by far atm), Hernanes or Ganso at home, but bring "amazing stars" like Gilberto Silva as starting midfielder. And look where did it bring you to. Also remember: today's footbal dictates tomorrow's. The football the children see today is what will guide them to be big stars in the future. Stars as Iniesta or Xavi, or Villa, or Cesc, grew up watching Cruyff's Barcelona, and grew up in a doctrine of offensive, attractive, yet EFFICIENT, football.

Today we're WC winners but I have to say that we're such because of the football we've played and put our bets on since the 90s in Spain (way more in Barcelona). Kids grew up playing offensive football and now look at the dominance of spanish football in the last years, not only because of our nat team, but because of teams like Barcelona (6 out of 6 last year, 2 CLs in 3 years, etc) who will -always- bet on an attractive football and have done so for decades.

If we ever give up on that we'll have to start again from 0, and our kids won't be so entertained and won't feel the magic of football so much, so less of them will dream to be the kind of player that makes a team great.

I don't see the reason why everyone thinks that playing attractive football means playing uneffective football. True, '82 brazil did lose and did not take the WC back to Brazil. But that wasn't because they played attractive football, because Brazil had won the WC three times with that doctrine. It was because bad luck came in one match that ended dreams of a dream national team. And because of that you have to give up on something that has given Brazil so much glory?. '94 WC Brazil was full of talent but horribly boring to watch, you think they couldn't win had they tried to play a more attracting football?.

I disagree and with good reason. Historically teams that play attractive, usually win the big trophys. I can start mentioning examples like Barcelona last years, or Cruyff's Ajax, to Pele's Brazil. Teams that play worse statistically lose more. Not all the way around.

But to each it's own, the more defensive brazil goes for the years to come, the lesser of a threat they'll be. IF you want that for your national team, I'm not the one to tell you to think otherwise ;)

Mark:

as I said, is a pleasure to read you. I'm glad you think the way you do, for I wholeheartedly agree. Almost half a decade of tradition doesn't lie: the Dutch team will always be a big team because of the tradition all your national teams created in the meantime. And the WC owes you one, at least one. I'm sure you'll win it sooner or later, if you keep the faith on what has made you great :).

PLMF: I find that your argument is basically flawed: you don't have to give up your style to win anything. Spain certainly didn't and see what has brought us : Eurocup and World cup in 2 magic years. I honestly think that with the players Brazil has, it could win the World Cup with an offensive proposal. Of course, with an adequate coach. You seem to like Dunga, the same guy who kept Marcelo (best brazilian LB by far atm), Hernanes or Ganso at home, but bring "amazing stars" like Gilberto Silva as starting midfielder. And look where did it bring you to. Also remember: today's footbal dictates tomorrow's. The football the children see today is what will guide them to be big stars in the future. Stars as Iniesta or Xavi, or Villa, or Cesc, grew up watching Cruyff's Barcelona, and grew up in a doctrine of offensive, attractive, yet EFFICIENT, football.

Today we're WC winners but I have to say that we're such because of the football we've played and put our bets on since the 90s in Spain (way more in Barcelona). Kids grew up playing offensive football and now look at the dominance of spanish football in the last years, not only because of our nat team, but because of teams like Barcelona (6 out of 6 last year, 2 CLs in 3 years, etc) who will -always- bet on an attractive football and have done so for decades.

If we ever give up on that we'll have to start again from 0, and our kids won't be so entertained and won't feel the magic of football so much, so less of them will dream to be the kind of player that makes a team great.

I don't see the reason why everyone thinks that playing attractive football means playing uneffective football. True, '82 brazil did lose and did not take the WC back to Brazil. But that wasn't because they played attractive football, because Brazil had won the WC three times with that doctrine. It was because bad luck came in one match that ended dreams of a dream national team. And because of that you have to give up on something that has given Brazil so much glory?. '94 WC Brazil was full of talent but horribly boring to watch, you think they couldn't win had they tried to play a more attracting football?.

I disagree and with good reason. Historically teams that play attractive, usually win the big trophys. I can start mentioning examples like Barcelona last years, or Cruyff's Ajax, to Pele's Brazil. Teams that play worse statistically lose more. Not all the way around.

But to each it's own, the more defensive brazil goes for the years to come, the lesser of a threat they'll be. IF you want that for your national team, I'm not the one to tell you to think otherwise ;)

Mark:

as I said, is a pleasure to read you. I'm glad you think the way you do, for I wholeheartedly agree. Almost half a decade of tradition doesn't lie: the Dutch team will always be a big team because of the tradition all your national teams created in the meantime. And the WC owes you one, at least one. I'm sure you'll win it sooner or later, if you keep the faith on what has made you great :).

I actually don't like Dunga as a manager at all, he made some silly mistakes like calling up Felipe Melo and Michel Bastos (Gilberto Silva is fine, we need "destroyers" in the team), but Brazil didn't lose really because of Dunga or the style, it lost because this generation is not so good (with or without the likes of Marcelo, who is not the best left back, Roberto Carlos is better, although I like Marcelo a lot), and because this is football, you can't always win, the Dutch were more mentally prepared that day and scored when they had the chance. The style worked fine in the past, but with these players Brazil wouldn't go anywhere in the WC.

I don't know if Brazil would win in 1994 playing more attractive football, but given the past record since Pelé retired, that title indicates Parreira was right in the end. But Brazil really won because of the players, the style is of secondary importance, just like Spain won because they have a fantastic team, not because of their style.

And I really disagree with this part:

But to each it's own, the more defensive brazil goes for the years to come, the lesser of a threat they'll be. IF you want that for your national team, I'm not the one to tell you to think otherwise

Historically teams win mainly because they have good players, regardless of playing like Barcelona or Internazionale.

The question of tactics and style if more a question of preference, but I would never trade a title won in a ugly way for losing playing in a beautiful way. But of course ugly teams lose too (Brazil in 1990 for example).

Anyway, if I were Dutch I would be proud of their team, the team fought hard until the end and played in a competitive manner. They were unfortunate to have a team like Spain in the final.

And anyway, my point is this:

The ifs are the key parts, if you think you are more likely to win playing in a certain way, then that's how you should do, regardless of it being ugly.

Obviously playing beautiful football and winning is nice, but I don't trust beautiful football that much, although it works for Barcelona.

Mark, honest question here... aren't you angry at your nat coach?. I mean, the Dutch team has always had a style earned after decades of brilliant football (or at least: an attacking doctrine and active search for excellence in offensive), a heritage created since the 70s, by guys as Cruyff, Neeskens, Rijkaard, Gullit, Bergkamp, and the likes.

Seeing tonight's game, don't you think that your guys have betrayed all of that going for the style they went?. As I said, it's an honest question, I've always been an admirer of dutch football. Heck, I'm a Barça fan and you know how much Barcelona owes the Dutch football style and doctrines since the arrival of Johann in the 70s (and even more after his time as coach).

All I know is that if Barcelona EVER does a match like tonight I'll feel really bad about it, even while winning it. 40 years of offensive tradition down the sink in a single stroke...would be something I'd have a hard time seeing in my favorite team...

Are you joking?! Holland is a small country, 17 mln people. What are the odds we ever reach a world cup final again?

If we'd won it after penalties with 4 red cards and 10 yellow ones, I'd take it with pride. We can play beautiful, we can win beautiful, but we can't win all beautiful. And I'm glad if we erase the memory of 74 & 78 because it was like sympathy for your little stupid brother.

There's this prevailing notion that everyone has to play the right way and win, not everyone will play like Spain and even flair teams won't always play with flair, Brazil don't have the players to play the way they have traditionally played but it'll come back around again, perhaps, at some point. Forget this silly expectation of 'winning with style', I'd take any kind of win, thanks, I think it's difficult to play with style at the top, top level, even the teams that do keep the ball and play incisive football end up frustrated and decide to help the ref in his decision making.

I don't think Spain have been poor at all though, not a tournament blessed with great, great performances one after the other for anyone though tbh

Are you joking?! Holland is a small country, 17 mln people. What are the odds we ever reach a world cup final again?

If we'd won it after penalties with 4 red cards and 10 yellow ones, I'd take it with pride. We can play beautiful, we can win beautiful, but we can't win all beautiful. And I'm glad if we erase the memory of 74 & 78 because it was like sympathy for your little stupid brother.

17m people in a country that loves football is a big pool of potential stars, that's why Holland have always been at the forefront of the International scene. Take for example France, 60m people in a semi interested country and it's probably a similar size pool of potential players. Uruguays population 3.5m!

17m people in a country that loves football is a big pool of potential stars, that's why Holland have always been at the forefront of the International scene. Take for example France, 60m people in a semi interested country and it's probably a similar size pool of potential players. Uruguays population 3.5m!

That's clearly not true, I'm willing to bet a lot that France has more professional footballers than the Netherlands, both in total in the domestic league structure and including French players abroad.

I am truly baffled that anyone could call the Spanish style either boring or negative. What the Spanish team have displayed here is being able to get the ball and never give it up again. Why is Oranje (from the past, not the current team) being touted for voetbal totaal and remembered with love and not this Spanish/Barcelona+ a few others team? They have perfected the style and, opposed to Oranje themselves, got the deserved result.

As a Dutch fan I'm as biased as the next person but come on now. Spain outclassed every other team this WC.

As for Oranje, it's time we parted with this interesting but at the end hapless experiment. Defense is not in our genes and when push comes to shove comes to kick leg, we lose anyway because we suck at kicking legs...

I am truly baffled that anyone could call the Spanish style either boring or negative. What the Spanish team have displayed here is being able to get the ball and never give it up again. Why is Oranje (from the past, not the current team) being touted for voetbal totaal and remembered with love and not this Spanish/Barcelona+ a few others team? They have perfected the style and, opposed to Oranje themselves, got the deserved result.

You can't see how a team that spends most of the match playing possession football, passing it around among themselves rather than trying to get it into the box might be described as boring or negative?

Don't think what we saw from spain this world cup is anything like what we had from them 2 years ago, neither can they be compared to barca atm.

You can't see how a team that spends most of the match playing possession football, passing it around among themselves rather than trying to get it into the box might be described as boring or negative?

Yep, that would be boring and negative. Good thing Spain don't do that really.

Just my faith in open entertaining football.

Difficult to play open, entertaining football when every team you come up against sticks nine or ten men behind the ball and kicks lumps out of you. Every time I see you post it makes me doubt the validity of the following image in your case:

idiot2.jpg

Please stop comparing Spain to Barcelona.

Barcelona has Lionel Messi. The reason why people can say Barcelona have a good attacking style of play is because of that one player. Spain has nobody like that. (Don't take that the wrong way, Spain does have some of the best all around quality in any squad in the world.) I've sat in front of a TV watching Barcelona do the same stupid time wasting passing that Spain did many times. It's boring when any team does it. I just have faith in Messi to do something incredible at any given moment. Please realize that this is where most of Spain's possession came from, and even if two good passes in the attacking third are exciting, it wasn't really worth watching 25 build up passes between Spain's defensive players.

I much preferred watching Spain at Euro 2008, although that team, playing that way, would most likely not have won. The players and coaching staff deserve credit for that.

Worst World Champions ever? Such a stupid concept. I don't think Spain give 2 sh*ts if they aren't as good as Brazil 70 etc. They are competing with 31 teams in 2010. Nobody else. That is all.

fwiw I never liked the French side from 98. Great players on paper. But weren't an amazing team. Never convincing in any of the knockout games but they turned up and played superb in the final so everyone tends to forget the previous games.

Spain played boring negative football? I have to disagree. They played to their strengths, ie kept possession, dictated play and worked with the ball, rather than playing a high tempo game that didn't suit them and risk their defence being hit on the counter attack, especially considering they lack pace at the back (With the exception of Ramos who was normally much higher up the pitch).

It may not have been entertaining in the fact they weren't creating chances repeatedly throughout the 90 mins or taking on half chances regularly, but they passed and moved well, played patiently and the chances that they did carve out were clear cut and threatening.

Deserved World Champions imo

I think they are as good as previous ones. I wernt alive to see most of them so cant really judge them being the worse but I wonder how good the Uruguay teams that won the world cup compared to this Spanish one

Very hard judgment to make. Spain did fine, sometimes they lacked the experience of a winner. But anyway, both teams behaved like virgins in the final.

SLAMPA, I don't think Brasil 2002 (Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Roberto Carlos, Cafú, Marcos, Lúcio, etc) would lose to this Spain.

I think this World Cup has given us a glimpse of what future championships will be like, teams seem to care more about not conceding than scoring. Pretty much every team in the World Cup played like this at one point. Can't remember the tactics at previous tournaments being so negative tbh.

edit - @santa, I also think the Brazil team could give them a good game and probably beat them tbh and I think France's 98 team and even Brazil's would have given them a good game (with Ronaldo fully fit)

Archived