Last 16 - Japan v Paraguay 3PM

Last 16 - Japan v Paraguay 3PM

Japan-flag-small.gifsmall_flag_of_paraguay.gif

Loftus Versfeld Stadium

loftus-versfeld-stadium3.jpg

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)

Assistants: Peter Hermans and Walter Vromans (both Belgium)

Fourth official: Peter O'Leary (New Zealand)

TEAM NEWS

Japan coach Takeshi Okada has named the same starting line-up for three games in a row and is unlikely to make any changes against Paraguay. Defender Marcus Tulio Tanaka has declared himself fit after picking up a knock against the Danes.

Paraguay midfielder Victor Caceres is suspended, so Carlos Bonet is likely to deputise. Antolin Alcaraz, who missed the 0-0 draw with New Zealand with a minor injury, returned to training on Saturday and could start.

One booking from suspension: Vera, Santa Cruz (Paraguay); Abe, Endo, Nagatomo (Japan).

Players to watch

Justo Villar v Keisuke Honda

Injured in the opening minutes of Paraguay's Germany 2006 campaign, Villar has been seeking to make amends this time and conceded just one goal during the group campaign. The 32-year-old Paraguay captain, however, will have to be wary of Japan's danger man Honda, the midfielder-turned striker who has scored twice so far. The 25-year-old CSKA Moscow man has quickly become Japan's new talisman over the past months, scoring six goals which led to six wins.

What they said

"With their pace and agility, Japan are a team hard to play against. They have players who can change the direction of a game so we have to come out very focused and keep running throughout the game," Roque Santa Cruz, Paraguay forward.

'Paraguay's defence is compactly organised. They have physical strength but are also good on the ball. I think they will be difficult opponents," Yuki Abe, Japan midfielder.

Route to last 16

Japan

V Cameroon 1-0

V Holland 0-1

V Denmark 3-1

Paraguay

V Italy 1-1

V Slovakia 2-0

V New Zealnd 0-0

Possible teams

Japan

21 Kawashima

03 Komano

04 Tanaka

05 Nagatomo

22 Nakazawa

02 Abe

07 Endo

08 Matsui

17 Hasebe

18 Honda

16 Okubo

Paraguay

01 Villar

03 Morel

04 Caniza

05 J Caceres

14 Da Silva

13 Vera

15 V Caceres

16 Riveros

07 Cardozo

09 Santa Cruz

18 Valdez

Come on Japan!! 2-1 Japan.

images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cjunichi-inamoto.jpg

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why do you think that? I can see this being quite good.

mon the Honda :cool:

if you have seen the matches of these teams you will know why. japan are aweful when attacking, they can only score from set-pieces. and paraguay play very very rigid and defensive.

Really hope Japan win. Love everything about the country. Loved them even more after they hosted the world cup. Loved them even more after Inamoto came to Cardiff.

Both teams play a five man midfield so it'll boil down to who keeps the ball better. I think (have a bet on) Honda will score.

2-1 Japan

Have the feeling Japan will take this. C'mon Nippon

Honda :cool: Interest in him will be high over the summer...
could be, but he just moved to CSKA Moscow in January, and that Russian isn't really broke, so they won't have to sell him (ofc, if a major bid comes in they will certainly take it in consideration, but only with huge bids I guess)

Loving the love for Japan in here. :cool:

I my betting syndicate it's my turn to do the match preview to sort out what we're going to bet on.

I've suggested Japan 2-1 (14/1), Inamoto last scorer (25/1), Endo to score first + Japan win 2-1 (125/1) and, for those that think Paraguay will win, Paraguay to win in ET at 8/1.

Mon Japan!

I find both teams very enjoyable, but as Japan seem to lack a bit of oomph in the box (bar Honda, but Paraguay will realize that and take measures) and Paraguay are playing fast and wide, I think Paraguay will pip it if they can limit the numbers of fouls around the box.

I'm off to this one. Two evenly matched teams but I'm dying to see Japan and my hero Endo win.

Me so jealous,

Christ, you've been to a lot of matches haven't you?

What can I say, wish I could have done that..

Archived