World Cup pundits,the worst ever?

JP Woody

Well i think the pundits for this world cup for both BBC and ITV have been pretty poor at best,with the exception of a few.

We have all heard about the Robbie Earl tickets scandle which he has been sacked for, for me though Adebayor has been the worst pundit closely beating Edgar "personality dissorder" Davids and Mick "lets bore everyone to death" McCarthy

Apart from the fact i cant understand a word Adebayor say's,he is a bit of a cock,as this video proves:

Whats everone elses thoughts on the pundits? Who dont you like? and who would you like to see?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mick McCarthy is by far the worst. I find it hard to believe sometimes that English is his first language. I mean he finishes of a sentence with a new sentence a lot of the time

When he's being interviewed on Sky Sports news i have to turn over,i simply cant listen to constant moaning and know it all attitude.

When he's being interviewed on Sky Sports news i have to turn over,i simply cant listen to constant moaning and know it all attitude.

And somehow he gets the job as a commentator in the world cup, they must have gotten a lot of rejections

Davids is also one of the worst, Shearer even has more personality than him, he is the kind of guy ITV would employ. Then they choose one of the most hated footballers in England for an analyst, who nobody can understand

Hansen is my personal favourite, along with Chiles, although he isn't really a pundit and has been poor oj ITV

I'm in the USA. I think it should go without saying how the "experts" are here. They have Ruud Gullit and Roberto Martinez doing a lot of the talking, and they know considerably more than the others. Still not that good, they often just simply don't know what they're talking about.

One of the others said that if Brazil continued to attack through Maicon, nothing would happen. Right...

I'm in the USA. I think it should go without saying how the "experts" are here. They have Ruud Gullit and Roberto Martinez doing a lot of the talking, and they know considerably more than the others. Still not that good, they often just simply don't know what they're talking about.

One of the others said that if Brazil continued to attack through Maicon, nothing would happen. Right...

Roberto Martinez has been pretty solid I think. But then he's being compared with the likes of Alexi Lalas.

Apart from the fact i cant understand a word Adebayor say's,he is a bit of a cock,as this video proves:

Whats everone elses thoughts on the pundits? Who dont you like? and who would you like to see?

Not really sure how that proves that he's a bit of a cock? And it's easy to understand what he's saying ffs - he's just got a bit of an accent is all.

Mick McCarthy called the Nigerian defending "naiive", twice, rolling out some tired cliches. Alan Green said some mildly offensive guff about smaller nations not really deserving to be at the World Cup yesterday, Andy Townsend and Edgar Davids have been predicatably woeful.

On the positive side, I'm starting to warm to Martin Keown as a pundit on 5 Live.

Not really sure how that proves that he's a bit of a cock? And it's easy to understand what he's saying ffs - he's just got a bit of an accent is all.

Mick McCarthy called the Nigerian defending "naiive", twice, rolling out some tired cliches. Alan Green said some mildly offensive guff about smaller nations not really deserving to be at the World Cup yesterday, Andy Townsend and Edgar Davids have been predicatably woeful.

On the positive side, I'm starting to warm to Martin Keown as a pundit on 5 Live.

I don't think people (well my me and my friends anyway) have a problem understanding the words he says, just we have no idea about the content! Just seems complete jibberish.

BBC and ITV coverage has been absolutely terrible, not one analyst or pundit worth their pay...

All the analysts are terrible... I would have liked to have seen a Strachan like analysis after the games as there will be great contrast in the systems and football played by each of the countries to make it interesting but the guys they have on have opinions and knowledge found in your local pub.

BBC and ITV coverage has been absolutely terrible, not one analyst or pundit worth their pay...

All the analysts are terrible... I would have liked to have seen a Strachan like analysis after the games as there will be great contrast in the systems and football played by each of the countries to make it interesting but the guys they have on have opinions and knowledge found in your local pub.

Dixon/Shearer/Hansen is the only combo I can handle right now.

If you go on live TV as a pundit and your mobile phone goes off then im sorry,your a bit of a cock. As for understanding what Adebayor says,im glad you can because i seriously cant,the guy talks way too fast.

BTW, is the OP another DO alias? Can't seem to figure out that you hit space after punctuation.

What? Have you not got anything better to do other than check posts for minor punctuation mistakes? Are you and all your 13 thousand plus posts so perfect?

Doesn't bother me tbh. Some is a bit boring and lazy but the football takes my mind off that. On the forums during most matches so I don't pay a lot of attention to what they are saying and in fairness they aren't that bad imo.

If you go on live TV as a pundit and your mobile phone goes off then im sorry,your a bit of a cock. As for understanding what Adebayor says,im glad you can because i seriously cant,the guy talks way too fast.

Happens all the time ffs. On TV and in real life. People often forget to switch their mobiles off - I know I have done on occasion. Don't be a chump.

Happens all the time ffs. On TV and in real life. People often forget to switch their mobiles off - I know I have done on occasion. Don't be a chump.

Dont be a chump?

Do all the mods on here have attitude problems?

Dont be a chump?

Do all the mods on here have attitude problems?

No, just me.

Another pundit who annoyed me was Alan Green on Radio 5 Live yesterday. Asked what he thought was contributing to the poor tournament, he basically put it down to the fact that there were 32 teams and, as a result, teams like New Zealand were there.

I wrote a blog about it: http://halftimewhistle.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/alan_green_1/ - it's not particularly well written and is pretty much just a rant.

I cba to write what I said in full, but basically I just felt that this was an incredibly lazy opinion, based on almost no fact. The smaller nations have, in some cases, been more entertaining than the bigger nations.

So yeah, Alan Green is a cock, which we all pretty much knew anyway. So he's another one on my list of pundits to avoid this year. It's been a poor year so far.

No, just me.

Another pundit who annoyed me was Alan Green on Radio 5 Live yesterday. Asked what he thought was contributing to the poor tournament, he basically put it down to the fact that there were 32 teams and, as a result, teams like New Zealand were there.

I wrote a blog about it: http://halftimewhistle.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/alan_green_1/ - it's not particularly well written and is pretty much just a rant.

I cba to write what I said in full, but basically I just felt that this was an incredibly lazy opinion, based on almost no fact. The smaller nations have, in some cases, been more entertaining than the bigger nations.

So yeah, Alan Green is a cock, which we all pretty much knew anyway. So he's another one on my list of pundits to avoid this year. It's been a poor year so far.

Well i agree with you on that one. Ive never liked Alan Green. He is far too eager to stick the boot into smaller teams, or indeed nations as you have pointed out. He has given my beloved Boro stick on many many occasions.

Am i right in thinking he is the reason Sir Alex Ferguson wont speak to the BBC?

Graham Poll? Please tell me he's not getting more airtime. /o\

Well i agree with you on that one. Ive never liked Alan Green. He is far to eager to stick the boot into smaller teams, or indeed nations as you have pointed out.

Am i right in thinking he is the reason Sir Alex Ferguson wont speak to the BBC?

I thought it was because of a spat he had with Motty. But Google reveals a different reason:

http://www.the-fan.co.uk/articles/why_alex_ferguson_wont_talk_to_the_bbc/

Graham Poll? Please tell me he's not getting more airtime. /o\

I thought it was because of a spat he had with Motty. But Google reveals a different reason:

http://www.the-fan.co.uk/articles/why_alex_ferguson_wont_talk_to_the_bbc/

Ah right,i wasn't sure,i knew Green and Ferguson had a major fall out though.

I took this of Greens Wikipedia page:

Green is known for his outspoken views which occasionally places him in dispute with football clubs, figures and authorities. He has an ongoing "feud" with Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager of Manchester United, and the pair have not spoken for years. Green said in an interview[5] that the feud dates back to an incident in which he said on air that he was "learning not to believe the propaganda that comes out of the Manchester United manager's office" after he claims he had been given inaccurate team news by Ferguson before a game. In the same interview Green defends his professional impartiality: "I'm supposed to hate Man United, but listen to my commentary on the 1999 European Cup final in Barcelona and try telling me I hate Man United. It's garbage."

never liked Alan Green.

Hansen / Shearer / Dixon have been pretty reliable on BBC, and Seedorf has done a decent job as well. Would have liked to have seen the likes of Strachan and O'Neill giving some expert analysis, as they really know what they are talking about.

ITV have been pretty dire as usual, Townsend is their best but he is rubbish. But the guy that annoys me the most is Jim Beglin. He is alwatys saying things like "No way, that's not a penalty for me, no chance." He wasn't giving the penalty to you Beglin, so shut up! And then he goes and backtracks when the replays show it clearly was a penalty. Jim Beglin = Cock. He actually makes me wish the World Cup was on Sky and we had Andy Gray, formerly the most annoying commentary analyst on TV.

Ah right,i wasn't sure,i knew Green and Ferguson had a major fall out though.

I took this of Greens Wikipedia page:

Green is known for his outspoken views which occasionally places him in dispute with football clubs, figures and authorities. He has an ongoing "feud" with Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager of Manchester United, and the pair have not spoken for years. Green said in an interview[5] that the feud dates back to an incident in which he said on air that he was "learning not to believe the propaganda that comes out of the Manchester United manager's office" after he claims he had been given inaccurate team news by Ferguson before a game. In the same interview Green defends his professional impartiality: "I'm supposed to hate Man United, but listen to my commentary on the 1999 European Cup final in Barcelona and try telling me I hate Man United. It's garbage."

But then listen to his commentary of Man United v Liverpool a few years ago. Rio Ferdinand scored a last second winner and, rather than commentating on that, Green said "and Gary Neville is an absolute disgrace...etc, etc" a reference to Gary Neville goading the Liverpool fans. So, rather than commenting on a dramatic last minute winner against Liverpool, he commented on Gary Neville basically being Gary Neville.

Edit - just found the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN8Wz9kMyE0&feature=related

i love how Adebayor's phone going off on air is proof that he's a cock :D

Precisely, plus the fact once he put it on the table he got straight back on with the analysis, instead of laughing about it or whatever.

Adebayor & Desailly are good pundits imo, Davids is awful.

Archived