The Afrovision Managerial Contest

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2009: April and May

There were no more games played in the World Cup Qualifying this month (the next games are in June), so that just leaves friendly results to be reported on. There were, however, just four teams playing friendlies, and it is the usual friendly fiends, who seem to be the only managers competent enough to arrange fixtures. One would think that the nations eliminated from World Cup Qualifying in the early stages would fill up their calendar with non-competitive matches, but perhaps those managers would prefer to simply put their feet up.

Tyler Burrows ’s Egypt welcomed Karl Unpingco’s Cape Verde to Cairo for their friendly match, which was contested fiercely and ended in a 2-2 draw (I don’t know how to set international friendlies on full detail: if anyone does could they please share?). Meanwhile, Mentho Latum’s Tunisia played another friendly, this time beating visitors Ryan Andrews’s Swaziland 5-1.

As we have the opportunity, I might as well inform you on the results from the European leagues, although they are view only and not to be taken too seriously.

Arsenal won the Premier League, with Liverpool finishing 6th and Tottenham taking the final Champions League spot. Sunderland, West Brom and Hull were relegated with Man City finishing 16th. Arsenal beat Tottenham 3-2 in the FA Cup Final, with Stoke and Newcastle Semifinalists, and Man United won the Carling Cup by beating Blackburn 2-0.

Lyon claimed the French Ligue 1 title, with Marseille and Bordeaux claiming the other Champions League spots. Grenoble Foot, Lorient Bretagne Sud and Valenciennes were relegated, with Ligue 2 team Metz beating Toulouse 1-0 in the French Cup Final and Bordeaux beating Marseille 2-0 in the Coupe de la Ligue Final. Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga, with Stuttgart and Leverkusen following, while Cottbus and Karlsruhe were relegated. Schalke beat Werder Bremen on penalties after a 1-1 draw to claim the German Cup.

Inter won the Serie A title, with Roma, A.C. Milan and Juventus finishing in the top four also. Chievo, Siena and Cagliari were relegated, while Roma beat Inter on penalties following a 0-0 draw in the Italian Cup Final. Juventus and Napoli were knocked out in the Semifinals. In Portugal, Sporting CP claimed the league title, with Benfica also gaining entry to the Champions League. Trofense and Naval were relegated. Sporting CP won the Portuguese Cup by beating Porto 3-2 and Benfica won the League Cup, with Porto runners-up once again after their 0-2 defeat. Elsewhere on the peninsula, Real Madrid were crowned Spanish La Liga Champions with Barcelona, Villarreal and Sevilla following in the top four. Almería, Sporting and Numancia were relegated while Barcelona beat Real Madrid 1-0 to claim the Spanish Cup. Atlético Madrid and Espanyol were the losing Semifinalists.

Real Madrid beat Inter 2-0 in winning the Champions League. Werder Bremen and Arsenal got to the Semifinals. A.C. Milan defeated Bordeaux on penalties following their 1-1 draw in the UEFA Cup Final. Sevilla and Chelsea were knocked out in the Semifinals.

Jeremy English ’s Sudan were one of our biggest movers, taking a four-place ascent to find themselves 71st. They are joined in the four-place movers category by Craig Hopper’s DR Congo, who are now 50th. Uganda, Benin and Kenya all moved up three places. Kleen Shavern’s Gambia, unfortunately for them, dropped 12 places to 102nd. South Africa, who are now 76th, and Angola, who are now 81st, dropped nine places. Robert Boyle’s Algeria fell eight places to 106th and Pompey 13’s Malawi fell seven places to 100th. A lot of our teams fell places, but these ones sustained the most damage.

[font=Courier New]  [b]Nation     P W D L F A GD[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Cape[/font][font=Courier New] Verde[/font][font=Courier New] 1 0 1 0 2 2  0
 [/font][font=Courier New]Egypt[/font][font=Courier New]      1 0 1 0 2 2  0
 [/font][font=Courier New]Swaziland[/font][font=Courier New]  1 0 0 1 1 5 -4
 [/font][font=Courier New]Tunis[/font][font=Courier New]ia[/font][font=Courier New]    1 1 0 0 5 1 +4

[b]No[/b][b] Ga[/b][b]mes:[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Algeria[/font][font=Courier New], Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina  Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Djibouti, DR Congo
Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania
Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania
Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe[/font]

Nation in the Spotlight

100px-Flag_of_Chad.svg.png

Name: Chad

Capital: N’Djamena

Population: 10.3 million

Manager: Hryhorii Zahorchak (bergtaur)

World Ranking: 140

Stadium Capacity: 8,000

Last Three Results: A vs. Mali, 0-3; H vs. Sudan, 0-2; A vs. Sudan, 0-2

I'm one of those managers with my feet up.

This looks interesting;

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Arsenal won the Premier League, with Liverpool finishing 6th and Tottenham taking the final Champions League spot. [/font]

Perhaps a premonition of what is to come in real life...:(

2009: June and July

With these being the last two months before the voting takes place, the managers were certainly keen to win their competitive game in order to boost their chances. One game was played in World Cup qualifying, but it may just be the most important one.

Once again, the fixtures were compounded into one nice and easy match day. In Group 1, two 4-0 victories were had: one by Adam Wilkinson’s Guinea over Jack Browne’s Rwanda and one by Mikael Schøler’s Mali over Des Tiny’s Nigeria. Didier Dardon’s Morocco beat Cape Verde 3-0 in Rabat in Group 2, while Uganda lost 0-1 at home to Cameroon. Mentho Latum’s Tunisia beat Burkina Faso 5-2 in their group, while Alfredo Dick’s Ghana could only win by two goals to nil over Guinea.

In Group C, Jeremy English’s Sudan scraped a narrow victory over a fellow Arabic nation, Libya. Christina Modoglou wasn’t able to inspire the boys to another victory when the Ivory Coast came to visit, and Albert Holstein’s team won 2-1 in Lusaka. Egypt and the Democratic Republic of the Congo struggled to a 0-0 draw in Group 5, while Senegal won 3-2 in the home of Alfred Jarry’s Kenya. So far, Mali, Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Senegal have perfect records, although there is of course plenty of time for that to change.

As well as the African World Cup Qualifying, two African nations competed in the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Matt Lepino’s host nation were drawn into Group B with Spain, Brazil and New Zealand. Tyler Burrows’s Egypt were in Group A alongside Italy, the United States and Iraq. Egypt started by drawing 1-1 with the Americans, but then couldn’t capitalise on a game against Iraq, drawing 0-0. A 0-1 loss to Italy put them in 3rd and eliminated them. South Africa claimed a magnificent 1-1 draw with Brazil in their opening game, adding a 3-0 victory over New Zealand to that in their second. Finally, they drew 1-1 with Spain to go through with the European team. The semifinal saw Lepino’s team lose 0-1 to Italy in extra time, but they ended up finishing 3rd with a penalty win over the United States following a 2-2 draw.

Some of the African nations also played friendly games in this two-month period. Des Tiny’s Nigeria travelled to play France and lost 0-5. Tyler Burrows’s Egypt thrashed visitors Be Jayatsena’s Burundi 4-1 while Tunisia won another game in Kuwait City. Nigeria travelled to Ljubljana and lost against, 0-1 to the Slovenes.

Understandably, Matt Lepino’s team rose the most places out of any of the African nations in the past month. South Africa ascended 36 places to 40th. Jeremy English’s Sudan climbed 15 places to 56th and Mikael Schøler’s Mali climbed 14 places, up to 29th. Following an absolutely torrid month, Des Tiny’s Nigeria have plummeted 24 places to 50th. Dees Blake’s Togo have fallen 15 places to 105th and Angola, Zambia, Algeria and Libya also fell by amounts in the teens. But the drop that will probably be the most hurtful will be Liam Ferguson’s Cameroon falling four places from 17th to 21st. Combined with Edward Still’s Senegal’s one place climb, it took Cameroon out of the way for Senegal to claim that all important highest-ranked African team mantle. That means that Senegal will make it into the Afrovision final automatically, with Cameroon, as well as the Ivory Coast, Mali and all the others who missed out, having to qualify in one of the three semi-finals.

[font=Courier New]  [b]Nation       P W D L F GA  GD[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Egypt[/font][font=Courier New]        5 1 3 1 5  3  +2
 [/font][font=Courier New]South Africa[/font][font=Courier New] 5 1 3 1 7  4  +3

[/font][font=Courier New]Niger[/font][font=Courier New]ia[/font][font=Courier New]      3 0 0 3 0 10 -10

[/font][font=Courier New]Tunis[/font][font=Courier New]ia[/font][font=Courier New]      2 2 0 0 8  4  +4

[/font][font=Courier New]Benin[/font][font=Courier New]        1 0 0 1 0  2  -2
 [/font][font=Courier New]Burkina Faso[/font][font=Courier New] 1 0 0 1 2  5  -3
 [/font][font=Courier New]Burundi[/font][font=Courier New]      1 0 0 1 1  4  -3
 [/font][font=Courier New]Cameroon[/font][font=Courier New]     1 1 0 0 1  0  +1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Cape[/font][font=Courier New] Verde[/font][font=Courier New]   1 0 0 1 0  3  -3
 [/font][font=Courier New]DR Congo     1 0 1 0 0  0   0
 [/font][font=Courier New]Ghana[/font][font=Courier New]        1 1 0 0 2  0  +2
 [/font][font=Courier New]Guinea[/font][font=Courier New]       1 1 0 0 4  0  +4
 [/font][font=Courier New]Ivory Coast[/font][font=Courier New]  1 1 0 0 2  1  +1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Kenya[/font][font=Courier New]        1 0 0 1 2  3  -1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Libya[/font][font=Courier New]        1 0 0 1 0  1  -1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Mali[/font][font=Courier New]         1 1 0 0 4  0  +4
 [/font][font=Courier New]Morocco[/font][font=Courier New]      1 1 0 0 3  0  +3
 [/font][font=Courier New]Rwanda[/font][font=Courier New]       1 0 0 1 0  4  -4
 [/font][font=Courier New]Senegal[/font][font=Courier New]      1 1 0 0 3  2  +1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Sudan[/font][font=Courier New]        1 1 0 0 1  0  +1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Uganda[/font][font=Courier New]       1 0 0 1 0  1  -1
 [/font][font=Courier New]Zambia[/font][font=Courier New]       1 0 0 1 1  2  -1

[b]No[/b][b] Ga[/b][b]mes:[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Algeria[/font][font=Courier New], Angola, Botswana, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea
[/font] [font=Courier New]Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritania
[/font] [font=Courier New]Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, São Tomé and Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia
[/font] [font=Courier New]Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Zimbabwe[/font]

Nation in the Spotlight

100px-Flag_of_Sierra_Leone.svg.png

Name: Sierra Leone

Capital: Freetown

Population: 6.4 million

Manager: Cardio Hernandes (Cardiovascular)

World Ranking: 160

Stadium Capacity: 36,000

Last Three Results: A vs. Nigeria, 1-2; H vs. Equatorial Guinea, 0-2; n/a

Canvey: a quick question about the sum-up in the code-table. What does that represent? I can see in the last update that Mali have 1 game, but they have played more than 1 game. In the update for 'February and March' they have 2..

" Tyler Burrows’s Udinese were in Group A alongside Italy, the United States and Iraq."

Ummm say what??

Really gutted with the loss by Nigeria, if we miss qualifying because of it I am going to fire my manager and drop all my players...oh wait I am the manager...crap!

You try running two sign-ups at once with a lot of the same people :(.

You try running two sign-ups at once with a lot of the same people :(.

At least you know he's reading the updates.

It seems my fears are coming true, Djibouti just don't play much football. I can't decide whether that's a good or bad thing, on the one hand no games but on the other no losses.

Oh my, I had no idea this had started! Zimbabwe's gonna be a tough task...think I might be able to tempt Grobbelaar out of retirement? And by that I mean the retirement home?

It would also appear I have a draw...but I'm not really sure who I drew against

Semi-Final 1: Eastern Africa

Without further ado, the first tournament is about to begin. I’ll start with the Eastern African Semi-Final, which will begin as soon as I have all the votes. Votes will be revealed in reverse order, so if you vote first your votes get read out last. There’s an advantage to being the very first to vote, as if it is a tight situation you will know who has won first. Partway through this Semi-Final I will start voting for the second Semi-Final, North and West Africa.

A reminder on the rules; all 17 nations give a selection of points to the other nations in the Semi-Final. These points are added up and the five nations with the most points qualify for the Final. The Semi-Final line-ups were and will be selected geographically, so there may be some Semi-Finals that are more difficult than others to qualify from. If you are one of the managers involved in this Semi-Final, please look at the screenshots of the performances of your colleagues and PM me with your votes accordingly. If you wish to have some sort of national celebrity reading your votes, or even just someone you made up, send me a name to use along with your PM.

Burundi Results

Manager: Be Jayatsena (jayatsena)

Manager Nationality: Italian

Neighbours: DR Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania

Comoros – No Results

Manager: Tom Hamilton (hamilton162)

Manager Nationality: Australian

Neighbours: Madagascar, Mozambique, Seychelles, Tanzania (all Maritime borders)

Djibouti Results

Manager: Whoopy Dee’e (Whoopy D)

Manager Nationality: Cameroonian

Neighbours: Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia

Eritrea – No Results

Manager: Quandiose Yancy (SCIAG)

Manager Nationality: Gambian

Neighbours: Djibouti, Sudan, Ethiopia

Ethiopia Results

Manager: Steve Axworth (Loojay)

Manager Nationality: Finnish

Neighbours: Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan

Kenya Results

Manager: Alfred Jarry (Hamuel)

Manager Nationality: French

Neighbours: Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Tazania, Uganda

Madagascar Results

Manager: Joaquim Ntadi (corinthiano)

Manager Nationality: Mozambican

Neighbours: Comoros, Mozambique, Seychelles (all Maritime)

Malawi Results

Manager: Pompey 13 (pompey13)

Manager Nationality: English

Neighbours: Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia

Mauritius Results

Manager: Alex Almond (Almondo)

Manager Nationality: American

Neighbours: Seychelles(Maritime)

Mozambique Results

Manager: dafuge (dafuge)

Neighbours: Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe (all Land), Comoros, Madagascar (both Maritime)

Rwanda Results

Manager: Jack Browne (jack.browne)

Manager Nationality: American

Neighbours: Burundi, DR Congo, Tanzania, Uganda

Seychelles Results

Manager: Super Lampard (super_lampard)

Neighbours: Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Tanzania (all Maritime)

Somalia – No Results

Manager: Matt Ferguson (MattFergie)

Manager Nationality: Scottish

Neighbours: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya

Swaziland Results

Manager: Ryan Andrews (NeoAC)

Manager Nationality: South African

Neighbours: Mozambique, South Africa

Tanzania Results

Manager: Thelonius Davis (Northerm Lights)

Manager Nationality: Senegalese

Neighbours: Burundi, DR Congo, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia (all Land), Comoros, Seychelles (both Maritime)

Uganda Results

Manager: Jose Rodriguez (SJ234)

Manager Nationality: Spanish

Neighbours: DR Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania

Zambia Results

Manager: Christina Modoglou (himan)

Manager Nationality: Cypriot

Neighbours: Angola, Botswana, DR Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

So please PM me your votes! If you do not vote, or if you vote incorrectly, your nation will receive a 12 point deduction. The deadline is the time of this post (11:00am) in British Summer Time on Wednesday 31st March.

Your Own Nation:

Spokesperson (if wanted):

12 points:

10 points:

8 points:

7 points:

6 points:

5 points:

4 points:

3 points:

2 points:

1 point:

So only managers of nations that have qualified are to vote? Or am I missing something?

There are three Semi-Finals, each containing 17 nations.

In this Semi-Final, these 17 nations allocate the points among themselves. Two other Semi-Finals will follow with a different selection of 17 nations each, so that 51 nations will have voted, although each one will only have voted in one Semi-Final. Senegal and South Africa will also vote, one each in the latter two semis.

The top five qualify from each to make a 17-strong Final, in which everybody votes.

So if you're not one of the nations in the post above, just sit tight for now :).

Archived