Is anyone else sick of FM10?

wrong you don't need 3d ME due to personal preference

others do want it, needs tweaking that is all

but i agree with the rest of what you said

edit..... the poll we had on this forums (not so long ago) proved that the majority like and want the 3D ME to stay

I like the 3D engine myself, and I do want it in the game, but we don't NEED it in the game, it seems this year SI spent most of their time on the 3D pitch and how the game looks instead of how the game plays. I would much rather have a 2D pitch engine that works well than a good looking 3D pitch engine that quite clearly has many, many problems. The 3D pitch seems to have messes up the match engine, go back to one that didn't have a 3D engine and the game was much better, didn't look as good granted, but played better, and isn't that more important than anything else.

Edit-I don't want a good looking 3D engine if the rest of the game suffers for it.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best 'launch day' version of FM yet. Simply superb.

I'm sure that there are still the occasional 'glitches' but no gamebreakers.

I hate to say it, but most of the complainers simply haven't sussed the game yet, or don't have a rounded enough knowledge of real football in order to make common sense tactics.

To cut down on the Long Shots simply cut down on creative freedom and give the players a touchline shout to 'work ball into box'. There will still be the odd player who can't help himself having loads of long shots......sell him or put up with it....thats Football !!!

Anything constructive to say?

All I want to know is, this game in it's various forms has been around for a few years, surely by now all the basics of a match engine should have been perfected and then built upon.

Whats the point of me asking this though? there isnt. i just want the best from my gaming experience that I have bought as the customer.

• SI Staff
All I want to know is, this game in it's various forms has been around for a few years, surely by now all the basics of a match engine should have been perfected and then built upon.

Whats the point of me asking this though? there isnt. i just want the best from my gaming experience that I have bought as the customer.

Did you try the demo? Surely if you did you'd have been able to make your own judgement and save yourself some money?

We work our hardest to get this ME right, but we never claim its perfect nor finished. You have the right not to buy it if you dont think its up to scratch, all we ask is that people who want to raise issues do it constructively :)

lol It's funny how every year in this forum,you can read of the same bugs and the same complaints about the core features of this game,and SI still has the courage to say that they try their hardest to improve the stuff.........on which all the complaints from like the last 5 years are based on.

Paul C-With all due respect, all we ever get it from people at SI is 'its a known problem/issue and is under review'. You guys play the game just as much as the rest of us so you must know what is wrong with the game, its good points far outweigh the bad points, but it is the bad points like defenders not defending and players not following instructions that ruin the game. The same problems crop up year after year like players with less than 5 long shots consistently banging them in the top corner from 30 yards for the AI. while the human player can have someone with 15 long shots skying every opportunity, and tactics that do well for you one season and don't create a chance the next season, maybe i'm wrong, but I don't see managers having to re-write their tactic books every season, they alter their tactics for each team they face, but they don't change it completely like you have to in the game. We get people on here ALWAYS saying its the tactics fault, HOW is it my tactics fault when i've told my defenders to play it short, and when are not under any pressure they kick the ball out of play or hoof the ball up to nobody, not even the most stupid player in the world would do some of the things the ME does.

the most annoying thing I find is that when u do get ur tactics right and the defence don't make mistakes and the opposition aren't getting the ball through or getting headers, then a defender thumps it in from thirty yards. Haven't played a game when I haven't conceded in the league.

I'm not sick of it, though i don't claim to be any good at it yet! This is probably the worst start i've had on any game of FM or old CM ever. Maybe on any game, though i was rubbish at Double Dragon on the game boy.

Anyone know why some of my players numbers come up as -1 on the screen. Is there a way of giving young players squad numbers outside the 25?

It's an enjoyable game but hasn't been improved as i thought it would. The good thing about FM is it always goes for game engine over looks, and this one feels like it's gone for design and layout of menus over game engine, and a few annoying additions such as crap backroom advice. Couldn't give two monkey's poos about a 3d view either.

the most annoying thing I find is that when u do get ur tactics right and the defence don't make mistakes and the opposition aren't getting the ball through or getting headers, then a defender thumps it in from thirty yards. Haven't played a game when I haven't conceded in the league.

--------------------

I'd give anything to see a 4-3, 3-2 game. This season, my second. Played 35 scored 58 conceded 20. Just come off the back of a 0-0, 1-0, 0-0, 0-1 defeat. It's not as if my players miss loads, most of the time I have between 8-13 shots, 5 or 6 may be on target.

This is the best 'launch day' version of FM yet. Simply superb.

I'm sure that there are still the occasional 'glitches' but no gamebreakers.

I hate to say it, but most of the complainers simply haven't sussed the game yet, or don't have a rounded enough knowledge of real football in order to make common sense tactics.

To cut down on the Long Shots simply cut down on creative freedom and give the players a touchline shout to 'work ball into box'. There will still be the odd player who can't help himself having loads of long shots......sell him or put up with it....thats Football !!!

On balance I agree with your first sentence. However, for something launched as a "Polished" product I feel the crash dump problems & the 3d match stuttering issues are unacceptable. Tactically the game is as good as I ever imagined it would be but if the much hyped 3d is actually unwatchable then whats the point of it? I just hope patch 2 solves my own stuttering match action issue as I have tried all the Tech advice (fully updating etc). If that just means my PC is an "unlucky" model that clashes with the software then..., well it doesnt make me feel any better TBH. Am still playing it though, but am probably just 1 or 2 more technical issues away from giving up - I so hope that doesnt happen but at some point frustration outweighs enjoyment, simple as.

Paul C-With all due respect, all we ever get it from people at SI is 'its a known problem/issue and is under review'. You guys play the game just as much as the rest of us so you must know what is wrong with the game, its good points far outweigh the bad points, but it is the bad points like defenders not defending and players not following instructions that ruin the game. The same problems crop up year after year like players with less than 5 long shots consistently banging them in the top corner from 30 yards for the AI. while the human player can have someone with 15 long shots skying every opportunity, and tactics that do well for you one season and don't create a chance the next season, maybe i'm wrong, but I don't see managers having to re-write their tactic books every season, they alter their tactics for each team they face, but they don't change it completely like you have to in the game. We get people on here ALWAYS saying its the tactics fault, HOW is it my tactics fault when i've told my defenders to play it short, and when are not under any pressure they kick the ball out of play or hoof the ball up to nobody, not even the most stupid player in the world would do some of the things the ME does.

Did you use the tactical wizard? with the exception of everyone shooting from too far out I have found the other issues are pretty much solved by it. I even found the FM09 tactical wizard created tactics did the same - I think the answer is just turn down the longshots throughout.

• SI Staff

While I actually agree that long shots are a little too effective and will try to tone them down for 10.2, the idea that somehow the game is biased for or against the human manager is nonsense, and I cant believe people still waste time posting about it.

If flashback790 wants to send me a pkm of a match where his defenders ignored his instructions I'll gladly look at it and report back my findings in this thread :)

Did you try the demo? Surely if you did you'd have been able to make your own judgement and save yourself some money?

We work our hardest to get this ME right, but we never claim its perfect nor finished. You have the right not to buy it if you dont think its up to scratch, all we ask is that people who want to raise issues do it constructively :)

I did try the demo. it seemed ok and i presumed any 'issues' (although to be honest I never found any) would be dealt with when the usual -immediately after release- patch came out. I liked the new tactics feature, makes the game much easier than those darn rubbish slider bars to get where I want to be. I liked the new layout and it felt better and less clunky than previous versions. I like many features and the game itself is as absorbing as ever.

I bought the game after the first patch, knowing I would be getting a product that would be fixed if there were any issues (I repeat I found none that were serious in the demo or noticed any annoying problems as I was too busy enjoying it)

Since then I now notice after playing many games the following:

- Defending is REALLY bad. I have lost count of the amount of times my players give the ball away or fail to tackle an opponent and the only way I seem to be able to keep a clean sheet is by playing a sort of Sam Allardyce style 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 and grind out 0-0's or 1-0's. I even started a game as man united (pukes) to see whether it was me that was at fault and noticed the same things. Even with Man United I could be leading 4-0 at 80minutes and you can guarantee the opponents will score at least one or two from mistakes that you know a top Premiership defence would make only three or fours times a season.

-Stupid choices players make, strikers clean through on goal running to the corner flag whilst I have my team set at attacking. Midfielders shooting from 40 yards even though the right/left winger is in loads of space and my team are playing with lots of width and you would expect ANY player in that position to find the man in space 9 times out of 10, not 9 times out of 10 going for goal themselves. As well as that I like my teams to attack down the wings, i have wingers, loads of width, nice and attacking, everything set up nicely and... the wingers keep passing it to the DM who will go for goal from 45yards! :confused:

- Finally comes the obligatory immediate response. I know teams occasionally will concede a goal and then go up the other end from the kick off and equalise, but for pete's sake they don't do it every other game! So why does it happen to me whether I'm Man United, Swansea, Staines, Workington or Aston Villa!

I don't mean to be so... petulant but it's rather annoying when for the 5th time in a match your opponent has hit a long ball and your defender has dallied on it and given them an opportunity. Even Titus Bramble at his worst wouldn't do it 5 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no offence to Titus) :eek:

• SI Staff

I think you should send me the pkm of the match in question, as 5 times is seriously questionable I agree even at non league level. Go to the match controls widget and select the save option, then email it to me at the address on my profile.

Cheers,

Paul

I think you should send me the pkm of the match in question, as 5 times is seriously questionable I agree even at non league level. Go to the match controls widget and select the save option, then email it to me at the address on my profile.

Cheers,

Paul

I would if I could, I got the sack due to the dallying and now have a new club! However if i see anything like that again I will save it straight away! :)

Begenerton1985 - Maybe if you are playing with lots of width the opposition stikers are naturally in a position inbetween your defenders, so you will be vunerable to long balls, especially if the opposition play through the middle and strikers have good off the ball ratings?

Also, I find that the whole team play better with a narrow formation and pass like arsenal (even using lower league teams).

Not saying this will work 100% but may make your team a bit more competitive.

I would if I could, I got the sack due to the dallying and now have a new club! However if i see anything like that again I will save it straight away! :)

How convenient. :rolleyes:

so far im liking it, except for the 100%-long-range-shot-accuracy bug

Hardly a bug. Needs a tweak, but literally no more than that. Not least because noones actually complaining about scoring long range goals, just conceding them, and conceding them is what?

..das right! Down to your tactics :thup:

As for the OP, deluded, best version of FM yet, by a country mile, as can clearely be seen from the sales and overwhelmingly positive reception on theese forums compared to recent years.

I actually found the demo worked better than the game when patched on the match engine a few others have found this too.

Anyone else sick of threads complaining about FM? :p

In all honesty...although the long shots problem is still there, I don't read any threads complaining about their own players scoring loads, only about other teams scoring against them. Although it's a bug, and would like it sorted in the patch, it evens itself out really. Defending I think is fine, it's more about the way the 3D pitch is displaying the player's movements to you, I think. I've by no means got the best defence and with some time spent with tactics have conceded 22 goals in 20 games, which I'm not thrilled with but certainly not bothered with. My problem is at the other end, can't score to save my life sometimes!

To wrap up, yes there are some small annoyances, but I would not say there are any major game breakers unlike what we have seen before (injury bug anyone?), and I think once the 2nd patch comes out (as long as SI fix what we have pointed out, which they usually do :D) then this will be the best version of FM ever.

This catch up mentality, is driving me mad. Again up by 2 at home and they come back in the last minutes. %/$%$%

Against a relegation team!! Happens way too many times, doesn't matter if your playing a good team or not. Anytime you're up, u get an avalanche from the opponent when up until that point they did nothing.

i think there is a catch up mentality.

Of course anytime the cpu ai is losing they are going to attack mode, but is not enough to just want to turn the game around, u have to be able to do so. I can understand if Man U, Ajax, Lyon, etcetera turn a result against me, cause these are capable teams of doing so.

But if Lyon is at home up by 2, and Guingamp goes on overload, do u think they can? Don't you think Lyon would be able to control them. It seems any team in FM is able to turn it ON anytime they want.

Sure i can go counter, defensive, whatever, but i'm playing against a relegation team. How many times have you seen relegation teams dominating title contenders away from home every other sunday?

I given up. This game is impossible if I dont DL some superformation of the net that just happened to hit a softspot of the game. I have never been so frustrated, and I have played them all. FM05-10. So why cant i play this one? I dont understand a thing, but the tactics are a mess. It doesn't work.

I given up. This game is impossible if I dont DL some superformation of the net that just happened to hit a softspot of the game. I have never been so frustrated, and I have played them all. FM05-10. So why cant i play this one? I dont understand a thing, but the tactics are a mess. It doesn't work.

I've not given up yet, but i know exactly what you mean. I've never had any problems like this with FM before, only technical problems, but never in game problems. Probably the reason i'm on these forums so much to see if anyone else is having the same trouble.

Problem is also, the replies you get are very predictable. But i suppose this links in with the familiarity that the forum regulars have with typical whinging players.

I know the feeling. This year I've had much trouble even getting Man U to do anything useful on the pitch. However, as I am stubborn and really don't wanna go through the agony of finding something else to do with my time I thought long and hard, did some reading (TT&F) and had another go. The results are remarkable. Obviously I don't know what you are doing right/wrong, but I am very sure that it indeed is your tactics and if you do it right it works indeed. In my case I was destabilizing my entire midfield with too much emphasis on offense. Now I see much less long range goals, my defenders can focus on marking forwards instead of doubling as defensive midfielders which left gaps behind them and most interestingly of all my offense is better by far after going slighlty more defensive. Best of luck with whatever you choose to spend your time doing.

I feel peoples problem with the game revolves around the lack of control. Its a management sim, buy FIFA if you want more control. Being a manager does mean its slightly out of your control but thats what makes it fun. If anything this game gives you too much control at places. If I was the manager of Falmouth in real life I dfon't see them carrying out complex instructions.

And what managers do you think intend their tactics to fail. Do managers go on losing streaks, do they try and change things and fail. Thats football - if you expected a simulation in winning then you might want to find another game.

Now there are some obvious logical flaws but they are not as severe as the excuses people want to make for losing.

Is it just me or does it seems that the you concede a goal as soon as you score...could be that my team has low concentration compared to the other teams but just wanted to check with others if this is happening as well

I've read the forums, I've read the Tactical Theroem and I have pretty much given up

That's just it.

No disrespect to the work that goes on in the tactics forum - you can't fault them for that. But while there are some gems in there, most of it's rubbish.

You'll get as much out of the game by doing your own thing and (crucially) having a bit of patience, as you will by reading the tactics forum and following their advice - a great deal of which is over complicated and irrelevant. In my opinion.

I know the feeling. This year I've had much trouble even getting Man U to do anything useful on the pitch. However, as I am stubborn and really don't wanna go through the agony of finding something else to do with my time I thought long and hard, did some reading (TT&F) and had another go. The results are remarkable. Obviously I don't know what you are doing right/wrong, but I am very sure that it indeed is your tactics and if you do it right it works indeed. In my case I was destabilizing my entire midfield with too much emphasis on offense. Now I see much less long range goals, my defenders can focus on marking forwards instead of doubling as defensive midfielders which left gaps behind them and most interestingly of all my offense is better by far after going slighlty more defensive. Best of luck with whatever you choose to spend your time doing.

Then what am I supposed to do? I have read abit about tactics. I understand the basic. But nothing works.

Lets say I play like this:

---------- Complete forward (Vucinivic) -- Trequartista (Totti)

------------- -------- acm (Baptista/Totti/Rivaldo)

--------------- ballwinning (Brighi)-- central/box (Pizzaro)

---------------------anchor/playmaker (De Rossi-

Wingback (Riise)----cb (Mexes)----------cb (Burdisio/Juan) ------------Back/wingback (Motta/Cicinho)

Fluid -- This is because I dont play with wingers, so the middle might be congested. So therefor they must be able to move around abit

Control - I got good strong midfielders, I should be able to keep possesion. Something I havent

Short -- A variation of passes is fine, I dont play with tall strikers so there is no point in flying the ball, and I like to keep the ball in the team, with quick short passes. My players are technical enough

Default creative- I would like them to stay to their instructions, but not extremely much

Default closing down-

Zonal marking. Because my players should keep their position, manmarking, nah.

Drillcrosses, as i dont have tall strikers. There will be no point in going in with high balls here either.

More Roaming, same as fluid.

Primary playmaker: De Rossi, my best midfielder. Got a great passing foot, stay in a position where he can recive the ball from the Cb, and give it off. He got enough talent to see the best opportunity.

Why do I get crushed game after game? And unfortanly I cant do anything about the defenseline vs closingdown, as I can in the classic tactic version.

I tried to rs some matches. Started well in the first 10 minutes of the first match, but then it goes again. They shoot from 16 m straight into the top corner, while Juan just stands at his side. Bollocks.

"Impossible" "broke" "doesnt work!" "i give up!" "this game is rubbish!" "catch up mentality!" "tactics are a mess"

Get a grip people. It's like mass hysteria. Quite funny to read some of it. :D

I feel peoples problem with the game revolves around the lack of control. Its a management sim, buy FIFA if you want more control. Being a manager does mean its slightly out of your control but thats what makes it fun. If anything this game gives you too much control at places. If I was the manager of Falmouth in real life I dfon't see them carrying out complex instructions.

And what managers do you think intend their tactics to fail. Do managers go on losing streaks, do they try and change things and fail. Thats football - if you expected a simulation in winning then you might want to find another game.

Now there are some obvious logical flaws but they are not as severe as the excuses people want to make for losing.

I've been playing the SI versions of football manager games for years, what i like about them is the varied difficult challenges they offer compared with other games, and their game substance over apparent style and graphics.

Like you say, if you wanna play a crap easy game, play FIFA.

This season's game seems so much different to me with regards to tactics, and results, and certain ways the game behaves, in game. Maybe i should abandon the new tactics thing, which was actually one of the additions i liked at first.

I'm gonna stick with it cos i like a challenge, like itsagoal.com, now that's a challenge. But it gets annoying when you get so many unpredictable results and seemingly unrealistic events. How can you beat Liverpool away one week, go into a game against a relegation struggler, on high morale, dominate the game, but come out with a loss?

Its like they've made the results more unpredictable to match real football, but made the way it happens a lottery you can't control, even if you give a player and a team explicit tactical instruction.

too keep this simple

the skin sucks

the match engine is worst than fm 09 because of the tacking

3-5-2 tactic don't work because the rm and lm goto rb and lb and can't do anything about it

fm 09 it is for me till patch 3 and the skin comes out

I would not say that its bad that the 3-5-2 doesn't work. That has been an easy way to success far to long. What I am saying it that its not bad that its hard, but its bad that you have to find one SUPER formation to be rather successful, instead of creating a just fine formation on your own. It really is a shame. Should be said that I managed to win against sampdoria, 3-2. Even after they went up with 2 goals. Wonder if I can replay and win some of these matches now.

Then what am I supposed to do? I have read abit about tactics. I understand the basic. But nothing works.

Lets say I play like this:

---------- Complete forward (Vucinivic) -- Trequartista (Totti)

------------- -------- acm (Baptista/Totti/Rivaldo)

--------------- ballwinning (Brighi)-- central/box (Pizzaro)

---------------------anchor/playmaker (De Rossi-

Wingback (Riise)----cb (Mexes)----------cb (Burdisio/Juan) ------------Back/wingback (Motta/Cicinho)

Fluid -- This is because I dont play with wingers, so the middle might be congested. So therefor they must be able to move around abit

Control - I got good strong midfielders, I should be able to keep possesion. Something I havent

Short -- A variation of passes is fine, I dont play with tall strikers so there is no point in flying the ball, and I like to keep the ball in the team, with quick short passes. My players are technical enough

Default creative- I would like them to stay to their instructions, but not extremely much

Default closing down-

Zonal marking. Because my players should keep their position, manmarking, nah.

Drillcrosses, as i dont have tall strikers. There will be no point in going in with high balls here either.

More Roaming, same as fluid.

Primary playmaker: De Rossi, my best midfielder. Got a great passing foot, stay in a position where he can recive the ball from the Cb, and give it off. He got enough talent to see the best opportunity.

Why do I get crushed game after game? And unfortanly I cant do anything about the defenseline vs closingdown, as I can in the classic tactic version.

I tried to rs some matches. Started well in the first 10 minutes of the first match, but then it goes again. They shoot from 16 m straight into the top corner, while Juan just stands at his side. Bollocks.

That's an extremely aggressive set up and will require a world class side to pull off. You are basically pushing the whole team forward and relying on your playmaker and two DCs to defend. Both The BWM and B2B will move up quite aggressively, as will the WBs, which will hurt your defensive shape, especially so if you have new players and ar ungelled/they don't respect the manager.

There are two possible issue with the Playmaker:

1: If a DLP: Because of how a playmaker moves into space for passes, he'll often be out of defensive position and be unable to cover for sudden losses of possession

2: If an Anchor Man: The Anchor Man role is basically a water-carrier. Setting an AM as a Playmaker hurts both roles, as the team looks to find him, but he won't play creative passes.

You haven't told us which duties you are using either. If you are messing around with duties, you can further unbalance things and open up even more gaps.

If you wanna protect the defensive line, your DMC must have closing down tuned down. Let Brighi, Pizarro or Perrotta (AMC in fm10??) do the closing down.

The way i see the game of football DMC is the most important player, he provides balance to my football teams, i can't have him running around to the lines.

Your DMC should never close down a guy on the line in my opinion, unless it's crucial. IRL it's how Porto, PSV and Marseille DMC play for example.

In FM10, if your DMC has closing down whole pitch, even with no roaming, he still runs around way to much. Check he's stamina, i had my DMC going to 70%. something had to be wrong.

Again it's just how i see it. There's plenty of different ways to set your team. Nobody can expect to bring a type of football better suited to holland or portugal for example and put it to work in england in a couple of months. In your case, Italy is very tricky, fluid football is probably not the best option. Remember, Roma was playing the best football in Italy 2 years ago, and they weren't getting scudettos either.

Maybe you're best suited to play in the spanish, dutch or portuguese league. For example i have a hard time coaching in Germany and England, but i do great in France.

Archived