Is anyone else sick of FM10?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football Manager 10 is running on crap computers too. ;) SI opted for looks over substance as soon as they added player pictures in CM. And Football Manager 08 got a lot of people's blood boiling in its un-patched version too (closing down, one-on-one's anyone?). In fact, this is a game that made people so furious,

The long shot debate-if someone like Lamps smacks it in from 30 yards, thats fine, if someone like Gary Neville smacks it in from 30 yards, don't you think something is wrong? In the FM demo, I was Wolves, Milijas with long shots of 19 couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, yet my opponents with awful long shot stats, couldn't miss, its the same in the actual game, at Port Vale i've got a midfielder with 16 long shots on mixed so that if the option is there he can smack it, and he does.....they end up in the car park but what can you do. And to the guy having a go at me, yes I expected to struggle this season, but there is a difference between struggling because i'm outplayed, and struggling because of bugs. Losing my best defender and both forwards to long term injuries didn't help either, or my £500,000 debt.

It was already said that long shots are a bit off as of now, as is marking however, I have no idea what's making you think that all of this is a direct result of any new feature put in the game. Bluntly put, apart from the new skin and tactics creator there isn't even anything new (wrong, I know). Still this year's edition didn't havy any genuinely new features that were meant to set the FM world on fire, something that is being reflected in like every single press review, where the bottom line is always like: evolution rather than revolution. It was announced before that this year's version was mostly about polish, more or less. Bugs or balancing issues just happen. Games and consumer software are kind of complicated, and football management games more so than many else. Just think of all the data being processed.

I still think you're off with your EA comparison - the features EA would stuff in their games would have been wholly superficial, and one-offs to be taken out of the game in the next edition, probably to reappear again three years later. With FIFA Soccer there was no clear direction in development until they got their act together again, and this arguably still is the case in terms of FIFA Manager, where the core mechanics have a long way to go, but gimmicks are added a plenty. And that has got naught to do with SI, their press conferences and pitch sizes, all stuff meant to add to the core experience rather than providing gimmicks just cause. In fact, if anything, SI had such a lack of genuinely new,fresh, exciting features to advertise occasionally that apparently some marketing intern at SEGA had to make up buzzwords like SPEEDYFASTIER™ - a term meant to tout improved loading times as something that could be printed onto the back of a box without looking too embarrassing. Big fail if you ask me, but hey. :D

Anyone noticee how the AI can cross like gods???

I mean cmon miss some cross but no they all end up on the foreward foot and score also why the 2 central defender dont tacke the ONLY foreward but he goes in and get 1 to 1 with goalkeeper, but I am not talking about Top teams here any of them.

Very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think si could perhaps release an early match engine update patch before the big patch in december? As the only thing that's holding me back from playing the game and others is the defensive part of the match engine and i don't particuarly want to play a half working game

I wasn't saying that new features directly interfere with the ME, just that it distracts the programmers from working on the ME and seeing faults with it, cause there is no doubt that FM is a bitch to programme for. And as for the FIFA-FM thing, again my point is that EA put meaningless features in the game for the sake of it, just like SI are doing (half-heartedly, I might add) with press conferences and pitch sizes which make no REAL difference to the gameplay so have them in there at all taking up valuable time that could be spent on finding and fixing bugs, that is what I am saying. Also i've not really altered my tactics that much, just set my creative freedom to default and now they are doing as they are told, i've done that before and nothing happened, the code must go through little spaz attacks I guess. My defending is still crap, but at least my attacking getting better.

What I think has happened is that SI have got in the same mindset that EA did with FIFA, putting in meaningless, pointless features like press conferences, pitch sizes, editors for your own leagues, just because of a lack of competition and because no matter what people will always buy FM, FIFA turned to pot as Pro Evo shot on and became the best footie sim ever. EA learned their lesson and started focusing the core gameplay just as Konami rested on their laurels thinking FIFA didn't stand a chance, FIFA turned brilliant as Pro Evo turned rubbish, SI need to stop looking at new features, we don't need press conferences, we don't need our own leagues or a 3D engine, we need the ability to talk to our players, a decent transfer system and our players to follow our instructions most of the time and a match engine that mimicks a real match. Eidos are working on the core gameplay of Championship Manager and they will breathing down SI's neck in a couple of years if the don't pull their finger out.

Fantastic post, exactly right. I boughts PES 2008 instead of FIFA, but by FIFA 09 the games were just incomparable as FIFA became so much better. (Y)

Unofrtunately it just seems to have exactly the same issues that were with FM09 on it's first patch.

- Players shooting from distance even when they are told not to and clearly have passing options

- AI scoring a ridiculous amount of long goals if you don't play a DM, even players with poor long shot ratings

- Fullbacks still next to useless defensively, combining that with defenders inability to win aerial balls = excessive goals from crosses

- Defenders not reacting to punts forward, resulting in far too many through balls

A shame really, as there are some fabulous aspects of FM10, but these issues seem to come up every release

These are my main bugbears added to:

Oppostion players in League Two hoofing the ball clear under pressure, STRAIGHT into the path of their runner, who started his run just before the clearance, and ends up through on goal. Constantly. Aided by your defenders just watching the ball.

In League Two 70% of hacked clearances from your own area go out for a throw and the rest are contested in midfield. They don't set up inch-perfect attacking moves. Ever.

Too many goals from Direct Free Kicks. You might see two or three 'Beckhamesque' free kicks flying into the top corner in a season in League Two. I've conceded double figures so far this season. And it's only just Christmas.

Players 'running through treacle' when clear favourites to get to the ball first leading to them being under pressure or missing out completely.

Players leaving the ball to a team mate, when the team-mate is never going to get there.

Fantastic post, exactly right. I boughts PES 2008 instead of FIFA, but by FIFA 09 the games were just incomparable as FIFA became so much better. (Y)

I said this to eventually someone is going to better FM if it doesn't get it's arse in gear and stop releasing bug riddled games! Honestly i have NEVER played a game with so many problems year in year out

i'm sick of the way the game appears to "normalise" results and performances so that the stats at the end of the season look similar to real world stats. doing this creates unrealistic injuries, unrealistic missed opportunities, and is really getting on my nerves. e.g. i have an amazing striker, the first 3 games he played, he scored 10 goals, then bang, off for 2 months with a spine injury. he comes back, 6 goals in 2 games, bang, injured 2 months. his natural fitness is fine, he played in the reserves after injury etc, but if he carried on bagging 3 goals per game the stats would be way off so the game gives him an injury. rubbish.

if someone could let me know what sliders to move to make my FB's not run alongside oppostion wingers from the halfway line to the byeline before letting them whip a cross in, i would be very grateful.

btw, i'm currently 4th in the Prem as Bristol City, so i'm not frustrated that I'm losing all the time which I'm not, but I think it is a very valid and "constructive" question to ask why after so long of the same tweaked match engine, there are still problems which ruin the enjoyment.

This is really uncalled for and the biggest problem in this forums. The philosophy of if you don't like the game for whatever reasons, go play another game and stop bugging us. If people did as this people say, by Now SI had already closed doors. Is it little hard for you to accept that some bugs don't bother you and to other does? Is it hard to accept that some people have take things much at heart, when they lost a game due to a bug? Is it hard to accept that those people have bought a game for fun and they are not having?

And how would losing games after being promoted to a higher league possibly be a bug?

Either you want a realistic simulation based on real life or you want a game to play. If you want a game just use the old save game gig before each game. If you want a sim accept that as a reflection of real life a team winning promotion will, apart from a few exceptions, struggle.

If this game is clearly so terrible that you would come onto a forum and say how shocking it was then my suggestion to buy an alternative product is valid.

The first thing we need to realise is that the dots represent professional footballers. I've scored 30 yard screamers, and I don't come close to having the kind of ability even a Scottish Div 3 player has. Any professional footballer, given time and space, will be able at times to strike a mean shot at goal, even with an attribute of 3.

Given the above, there are various tactical factors that could cause your team to be conceding from them at an alarming rate.

1: Compressed midfield/defence which, when under pressure, only half clears balls. Not a common reason, but a few AI sides at lower levels have issues with. Only usually an issue against a side employing DMCs, as it opens space for them to have a crack.

2: Large mentality gap between the DCs and midfield, enabling opposing players to set for the shot as the DCs back off and before the MCs get back into cover positions.

3: Too deep d-line with too low closing down, enabling players to have a lot of time on the ball when 25-30 yards out. Will be magnified by complacency.

4: Having no MC on Defend Duty to cover in front of the d-line.

5: Pushing your wide player forward too aggressively, being caught on the break and seeing your DMC/MD geting dragged out of position to cover the space out wide, thus opening up the middle.

6: Over aggressive settngs on covering MCs, causing them to get caught out of position, get skinned and quickly tire.

7: Over aggressive settings on DCs, causing the same thing and resulting in very fatigued play late on in matches, which opens space ahead of the d-line.

Your key words - time and space. My key words - one or TWO defenders all over him. Still love the game though, rant over. :)

Your key words - time and space. My key words - one or TWO defenders all over him. Still love the game though, rant over. :)

It's a subjective call. Were the really all over him or were they rushing out towards him after he had already set himself. Major difference. If the former, then you were very unlucky. If the latter, and it's happening often, then perhaps it will be something to do with you d-line depth/closing down settings.

I've rarely seen the former happen, whereas the latter is much more commonplace. From my experience, if a lower level player shoots from range having been tightly marked the whole time he's had the ball, it goes flying all over the place.

The big problem with the game is that there is no appreciation that a good player can make a bad tactic a winning one by himself. For example, last season even when Man Utd were struggling Ronaldo could make something happen. Teams with better players will win more games in spite of bad tactics - are you listening Mark Hughes?

The match engine is also poor at communicating what is going wrong - especially the 3D one.

How do I account for a player scoring a 40 yrd own goal or continually putting the ball out for a corner under no pressure?

How do I change my tactics for that?

I play with Wigan, signed with them in october, they where dead last, 20th place. i finished the season 11th. But the results are so random it makes me scream. I beat 4-1 at CHELSEA (i was stunned of that result), then i beat 4-1 MAN CITY at home, than i make 1-1 at Manc. UTD and then, dissaster, i lose 3-0 home to liverpool, lose 4-3 in 95th minute to sunderland, lose 4-0 home with WOLVES(WTF?????). The defense it's crap, i even watched full games many times and did exactly what the assistant said still the team didn't respond to tactics, i have even been beaten by a goal scored by the opposite goalkeeper with a freekick from outside HIS box. In one season, the golden boot went to PORTILLO from OSASUNA for scorin 60 goals in one season. I managed 3 teams by now and at each oane of it i had at least a striker with 30 goals per season ( that's way to much , season after season, no matter if it's din bucharest, din moscow or zenit). I am being equalized very often immediately after i score. If I have an 3-0 advantaje at first half, i surely will concede at least 2 goals even if go 5-5-0 ultra defensive. And i'm so frustrated with players who make one mistake, and then never gets back in the game, if the defender has a 4-5 rating in the first 10 minutes, he will do more mistakes untill final whistle (never the same player twice in a row).i'm also frsutrated that most times when i lose , i lose to at least 3 goals difference, they just keep scoring, like they never scored before, 90% of the time. I played fm since 2001-2002, and fm09 i played for 7days total so i'm not a newbie to this game. And i hate FIFA MANAGER, that just arcade, no sim there.

Yadda, why is when anyone says something bad about FM you throw a hizzy fit? You can lose games because of bugs, like the long shot one, the stationery defenders bug, the back passes that always go out for corners bug, the list goes on and on, its as if anyone backing a bad comment is commiting sacrilage to a holy text, if people didn't brink up problems with the game then they would never be found and the game would be the same as the first Championship Manager (which I have never played), stop being such a fanboy(hate that term) and stop insulting people who have different opinions to you.

I think everyone contributing to this thread needs to take a deep breath and a step backwards before posting again. I can see pain and abuse if current tensions continue.

To clarify:

1: Paul has accepted long shots are slightly overpowered. However, if you are conceding from them on a regular basis, it is more likely that the reason is tactical (see my above post for possible reasons).

2: Paul has accepted that defenders don't always engage in a logical manner and stand off a little too readily. However, if they are never engaging, it is more likely that the reason is tactical.

Neither of the above are game breaking and can be easily reduced to minor irritations through good management. Those who like dramatic hair-pulling need to realise that SI have already started addressing their concerns, but also that many of their problems are of their own doing, and thus meet people halfway. This thread will become rapidly tedious if every third person rants and raves, stopping any possibility of constructive advice and feedback.

this happens a lot here in the forums, when the majority of players say that the defense is really bad and that the long shots never miss, there's always somebody that just thinks the manager it's worthless. i have read countless threads and there are users that for every single thing that is reported being wrong with the game we all love the most and take time from our lives to try to make it the best ever, they just say :BLAME IT ON THE TACTICS.

THE REASON FOR ALL THIS NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT FM IT'S THAT WE LOVE THE GAME SO MUCH AND SO THE DISSAPOINTMENT JUST TURNS INTO ANGER.

i thought fifa 10 was bad, so i just don't play it, you won't see me on the forums. or operation flashpoint, or ninja gaiden or many many other games. this is the one, the rest are just something to waste time with till fm is lunched.

wwfan, I agree with you, I opened this thread to see if others were sick of the bugs in the game, some are, some aren't, its when people start hurling insults because they have criticised FM, I only had a slight go at Yadda because all i've seen him do is insult people with different opinions.

this happens a lot here in the forums, when the majority of players say that the defense is really bad and that the long shots never miss, there's always somebody that just thinks the manager it's worthless. i have read countless threads and there are users that for every single thing that is reported being wrong with the game we all love the most and take time from our lives to try to make it the best ever, they just say :BLAME IT ON THE TACTICS.

THE REASON FOR ALL THIS NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT FM IT'S THAT WE LOVE THE GAME SO MUCH AND SO THE DISSAPOINTMENT JUST TURNS INTO ANGER.

i thought fifa 10 was bad, so i just don't play it, you won't see me on the forums. or operation flashpoint, or ninja gaiden or many many other games. this is the one, the rest are just something to waste time with till fm is lunched.

While I can appreciate that people can emotionally involved with FM, in order to get to grips with what might or might not be wrong with the game, it is important for us to delineate between ME and tactical issues. In this respect, neither of the following are helpful:

It's your tactics

I know it's not my tactics, I've been playing the game for years and have good tactics and good players. SortitoutSI!!!11!!

99.9% of the time the truth lies somewhere in between these polar positions. All the extravagant ranting, over the top claims and sarcastic abuse simply harms the chances of anything being done about the problem, as it muddies the picture and makes it more difficult to pick up on genuine issues.

For example, if I give tactical reasons for why something might be happening, it is incredibly useful if the person making the complaint then re-evaluates his pkm and tactical settings. If he still can't see any rhyme or reason for his consistently conceding certain types of goals, it is then useful to get Paul involved for technical analysis. This type of process enables us to sift through and identify genuine issues at a much greater rate, thus improving the game.

Sorry, but I've won the Europa League twice with Everton in two saves and I'm currently top of the EPL in my second season.

Nothing at all wrong with the match engine, other than very, very minor things - like the very occasional defensive lapse or the odd backpass that the 'keeper thoroughly ignores and lets roll out for a corner. Yet each of these work both ways - as the AI suffers the same issues.

Sorry lads and ladettes, the simple truth is that you aren't very good at the game. The guy on page one who blames a 6-1 defeat solely on the FM match engine is proof of this.

I have to agree with wwfan; the simple fact is that people aren't actually managing their sides to avoid the errors.

While I can appreciate that people can emotionally involved with FM, in order to get to grips with what might or might not be wrong with the game, it is important for us to delineate between ME and tactical issues. In this respect, neither of the following are helpful:

It's your tactics

I know it's not my tactics, I've been playing the game for years and have good tactics and good players. SortitoutSI!!!11!!

99.9% of the time the truth lies somewhere in between these polar positions. All the extravagant ranting, over the top claims and sarcastic abuse simply harms the chances of anything being done about the problem, as it muddies the picture and makes it more difficult to pick up on genuine issues.

For example, if I give tactical reasons for why something might be happening, it is incredibly useful if the person making the complaint then re-evaluates his pkm and tactical settings. If he still can't see any rhyme or reason for his consistently conceding certain types of goals, it is then useful to get Paul involved for technical analysis. This type of process enables us to sift through and identify genuine issues at a much greater rate, thus improving the game.

ok, so i'm a bag manager, i was a good one in fm09, but lets just say that fm 10 is far more realistic and i'm just bad at it. that could be true. but there are still problems that are out of my damaging reach. like, so many games with high scores, i mean,in 70% of the results are at least 5 goals. and the strikers just score in one season of the game, the amount of goals that some of them score in 3 seasons real life. I think that fm09 third patch gameplay was better than fm10, without so much long shots beating the keeper, so why didn't they improved that before releasing this version. why not take something good and make it better? and you can't tell me that they did just that, cause you don't make something better by improving some areas and simply crashing other areas that were fine.

like, so many games with high scores, i mean,in 70% of the results are at least 5 goals. and the strikers just score in one season of the game, the amount of goals that some of them score in 3 seasons real life.

High scores: Your games or all games? Haven't noticed crazy numbers of high scoring games in my saves.

Striker scoring: I'd agree it is too high (7-10%), especially in lower leagues. It's a nightmare to balance though.

So it's realistic to expect defenders to stand and watch as the ball sails over their head whilst the other bloke runs on to it perfectly giving him a 10 yard head start, several times a game.

It’s my fault that League Two players in the opposition can pass the ball 60 yards like Ronaldo? There are a lot of very unrealistic elements in the match engine that can sometimes make it hard to create an a viable tactic. Watching international football tonight I saw defenders doing something that very, very rarely happens even in the lower Leagues on FM.. Kicking the ball into touch under pressure.

Because there’s not a lot you can do when your defender decides to stop running for the ball, leave it to his team mate who is 10 yards behind him, when there is an opponent right next to him.

There’s not a lot you can do when a free kick to the opposition is not far off being as good as a penalty. Or when you need four one-on-ones with the ‘keeper to score one, when the opposition slot it into the bottom corner every time. (An issue that has been in the game for years. I’ve taken Macc Town into the Premiership and still seen my strikers firing the ball straight at the ‘keeper time after time)

Defenders who hover three yards away from the man they are meant to be tackling as if they are both magnets with the same polarity, full-backs on a wide formation standing 10 feet from the centre-back whilst a winger has free run down the wing as they watch.

Etc.

• SI Staff

As wwfan says, certain people need to take a step back before clicking post. We love constructive criticism but there are certain people who are making it harder for us to keep the patience required to search it out.

So it's realistic to expect defenders to stand and watch as the ball sails over their head whilst the other bloke runs on to it perfectly giving him a 10 yard head start, several times a game.[/Quote]

If you have little or no cover in front of your back four, DCs often hesitate as to which threat to deal with. I see it happen myself, and it is always because I've pushed up too far and left them too open to multiple threats.

It’s my fault that League Two players in the opposition can pass the ball 60 yards like Ronaldo?

Yes, if you've open up the space that allows them to have huge amounts of time on the ball. Stop the time they have and you stop the passes.

Because there’s not a lot you can do when your defender decides to stop running for the ball, leave it to his team mate who is 10 yards behind him, when there is an opponent right next to him.

I've not seen that happen. Do you have a pkm of this? Can you briefly explain your defensive settings?

There’s not a lot you can do when a free kick to the opposition is not far off being as good as a penalty.

Again, my perception is direct free kicks aren't scored enough. What are your defensive settings?

Or when you need four one-on-ones with the ‘keeper to score one, when the opposition slot it into the bottom corner every time. (An issue that has been in the game for years. I’ve taken Macc Town into the Premiership and still seen my strikers firing the ball straight at the ‘keeper time after time)

This is usually the result of one-dimensional attacking play which results in a lot of TBs down the centre that the FC has no time to make a decision on. He just has to turn and shoot, or toe poke. If it is happening to you, but not the AI (especially in FM10), it is likely down to your tactical setup.

Defenders who hover three yards away from the man they are meant to be tackling as if they are both magnets with the same polarity, full-backs on a wide formation standing 10 feet from the centre-back whilst a winger has free run down the wing as they watch.

Again, I'd suggest this is tactical and that you need to explain your defensive settings, as I don't see my side or the AI doing this.

High scores: Your games or all games? Haven't noticed crazy numbers of high scoring games in my saves.

in my game, a lot of 4-4 and 3-3. i played with uruguay against bolivia at home, had 3-0 half time, ended 5-5, next game at peru, had 0-2 in 25th minute, ended 3-3. like i said earlier, i'm currently at wigan, never thought about a draw against chelsea, i won 4-1 away, then next game 4-1 home against man city (they eliminated me from fa cup, 0-4 at home), then i draw at old trafford, and i lose with liverpool, aston villa, even wolves at home 0-4, it all seems so random. i managed dinamo moscow (i was championship holder) and i restarted a game against zenit 7 times, and didn't even managed to draw, in one atempt i lost 0-7, and in other their goalkeeper scored from outside his own box.

and something else, i say it's a bug, i was offered to manage cote d'ivoire in february 2010, after just 8 months of managing dinamo bucharest, i hadn't won anything, it was half of the first season.

i want to try something right now, please tell me what tactics should i use for possesion, i don't care if i don't have one single shot in an entire game,i just want more than 59% possesion and not to lose by 3 goals difference??i have a game against wolves, at home, i'm with wigan. so if you're online, just post some tactics for me, i'm a fan of classic tatcics to if it's easier. i am not being sarcastic or anything, i really want this game to make sense for me, and this would help very much, thank you

As wwfan says, certain people need to take a step back before clicking post. We love constructive criticism but there are certain people who are making it harder for us to keep the patience required to search it out.

I know this sort of email isn't that helpful to those having problems, but I'm absolutely rinsing the opposition with a very simple but nicely constructed wide 4-4-2 formation and a couple of variations on the theme! My players are quite clearly acknowledging my instructions. I've experienced problems with players completely ignoring me in previous versions, but not this release.

I am having some technical/bug issues with FM10, and some problems with Tactics Creator doing weird, inexplicable stuff (setting all my players to 'Hard Tackle' and whole pitch 'Closing Down' without being asked to, for example), but having bypassed Tactics Creator, the instructions I give are being observed.

Also, I've been rubbished for saying this before, but I think actually having played football to a reasonable level is invaluable for setting up a good working tactic in FM. Playing the game in real life helps to know what players should be doing in certain roles. That, or watching a hideous amount of live footy. Or both! ; )

have not got FM2010 yet , after 2009 activation debacle , it was a nightmare thanks to STEAM , NEVER AGAIN! , however still enjoying FM2009 , but i don't feel confidant about FM2010 after reading about all the bug's that should just not be happening!

Yeah, you're 100% right mate. Steam and everything to do with it absolutely sucks. I would use ruder language to describe it but I'd get an infraction. The fact that when Steam feels the need to update its useless self when the user is not online prevents the user from using offline mode is utterly ridiculous. It has ruined two potentially fantastic FM-filled train journeys for me! I love FM, but abhor Steam.

in my game, a lot of 4-4 and 3-3. i played with uruguay against bolivia at home, had 3-0 half time, ended 5-5, next game at peru, had 0-2 in 25th minute, ended 3-3. like i said earlier, i'm currently at wigan, never thought about a draw against chelsea, i won 4-1 away, then next game 4-1 home against man city (they eliminated me from fa cup, 0-4 at home), then i draw at old trafford, and i lose with liverpool, aston villa, even wolves at home 0-4, it all seems so random. i managed dinamo moscow (i was championship holder) and i restarted a game against zenit 7 times, and didn't even managed to draw, in one atempt i lost 0-7, and in other their goalkeeper scored from outside his own box.

and something else, i say it's a bug, i was offered to manage cote d'ivoire in february 2010, after just 8 months of managing dinamo bucharest, i hadn't won anything, it was half of the first season.

i want to try something right now, please tell me what tactics should i use for possesion, i don't care if i don't have one single shot in an entire game,i just want more than 59% possesion and not to lose by 3 goals difference??i have a game against wolves, at home, i'm with wigan. so if you're online, just post some tactics for me, i'm a fan of classic tatcics to if it's easier. i am not being sarcastic or anything, i really want this game to make sense for me, and this would help very much, thank you

This suggests that you play with an exceptionally open tactic with results more reliant on player motivation and morale than tactical nous. When teams are playing cautiously and you are playing well, you are able to rip into them, hence the big wins. However, if your players are having a bad day or facing a better team, your defence gets found out and you concede hatfuls. Add in complacency after a good first half, and you start shipping goals all over the place later in games.

The second half of your post highlights the conceptual issues you are having. There is no such thing as a tactic 'for more than 59% possesion and not to lose by 3 goals difference' in the real or virtual world. Teams continuously adjust to the questions being posed by the opposition, elements, good or bad form/motivation of their own/opposition players. They have a set playing philosophy, but match tactics are not static but fluid and dynamic. Playing a 'plug'n'play' tactic is likely to bring a set of random results, as you are never responding to the opportunities presented or questions posed.

I can't post a classic tactic, as I don't touch the sliders and rely completely on the touchline instructions to adjust in matches.

I can't post a classic tactic, as I don't touch the sliders and rely completely on the touchline instructions to adjust in matches.

I don't suppose you have any idea why my touchline instructions have got 'stuck', do you? No matter how often I create new tactics, my game ALWAYS starts with 'Hassle Opponents' and 'Get Stuck In' selected by default. It's really irritating...

I don't suppose you have any idea why my touchline instructions have got 'stuck', do you? No matter how often I create new tactics, my game ALWAYS starts with 'Hassle Opponents' and 'Get Stuck In' selected by default. It's really irritating...

Did you save it in a match? If so, try and save it again outside of a match and see if it sorts it out.

The problem is, people take the highlights, and indeed the match engine as gospel. Do not trust anything you see in the match itself, it is merely trial and error.

Because the match is scripted according to tactics, things such as defensive mistakes might not be mistakes at all. For example, I see defenders constantly losing their man, or just missing the ball entirely, because the engine has told them that there is supposed to be a chance.

Unless it's something drastic like the keeper running into the opposition's box every chance you get I wouldn't worry about it, you should just keep trying different things.

wwfan, I agree with you, I opened this thread to see if others were sick of the bugs in the game, some are, some aren't, its when people start hurling insults because they have criticised FM, I only had a slight go at Yadda because all i've seen him do is insult people with different opinions.

No, the premise of this thread was about your team not performing after getting promoted. You say it's happened for the last four years and you don't appear to enjoy FM and end up stop playing it. So buy a different game. How is that an insult? Seems fairly obvious.

So you start a thread with a certain premise. I disagree with you. I explain my premise. You say I have hurled insults at people who have a different opinion to me.

I'm sorry, I agree with everyhting you say. Is that what you were looking for?

Yes goals do go in against me in the last minutes, but guess what , i also score winners in the last minute.

Yes i do concede goals from 30 yards out, but guess what, i also score long range piledrivers, although it does happen to often but the powers that be say this will be addressed in 10.2.

I'm in season 2015/16 went on a 25 game without a win streak to get relegated.

Started at Hampton & Richmond won league 1st season resigned season 2013/14 after being unemployed managed Larne after 6 months resigned to take over at Cambridge in league 2 , now 7 points clear in BSP the game ain't easy but its making someone who is very ill at the minute forget about his problems whilst playing.

Thank you all at SI

• SI Staff
Dear Paul C,

Have you tried to tone down the half time talks/complacency/morale effects.

I honestly think this is what leads to strange results and unrealistic come backs.

It has come to the point where I am afraid to click the wrong thing at half time, regardless of my tactics.

I don't think so, but send me a match where you think this has happened and I will look at it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyt

So it's realistic to expect defenders to stand and watch as the ball sails over their head whilst the other bloke runs on to it perfectly giving him a 10 yard head start, several times a game.

If you have little or no cover in front of your back four, DCs often hesitate as to which threat to deal with. I see it happen myself, and it is always because I've pushed up too far and left them too open to multiple threats.

There aren't always multiple threats. There is one man and one ball. I generally have my DCs man marking if there are two up front. And one of them marking him if there is one up front with the other as a support defender. There shouldn't be any question. He's your man. Go with him, not three seconds after him.

They both stop and watch until he has got well clear before running after him. DMC would make no difference. I play with either one or two of them depending on the opposition as it is, but they aren't going to do anything about a ball over the top which the defenders ignore. They are another 10 yards ahead, supposedly to pick up the clearance.

Quote:

It’s my fault that League Two players in the opposition can pass the ball 60 yards like Ronaldo?

Yes, if you've open up the space that allows them to have huge amounts of time on the ball. Stop the time they have and you stop the passes.

I have high closing down, but they rarely do as they are told. This is also linked to the full backs being too far in even on a wide setting and the ability to hack the ball clear pefectly into space, despite being under pressure or in the process of being tackled.

Quote:

I've not seen that happen. Do you have a pkm of this? Can you briefly explain your defensive settings?

I change them based on the pre-match meeting. This isn't a tactical issue, it's basic common sense. The player should know he is favourte to get to the ball, should be able to tell immediately that he has to do it because the other player won't get there. The AI should do the simple things right.

Quote:

There’s not a lot you can do when a free kick to the opposition is not far off being as good as a penalty.

Again, my perception is direct free kicks aren't scored enough. What are your defensive settings?

It's a rareity in real life in League Two. And again this is nothing to do with defensive settings. It's about the ability of the opposition to curl unstoppable free kicks and other long shots with regularity.

Quote:

Or when you need four one-on-ones with the ‘keeper to score one, when the opposition slot it into the bottom corner every time. (An issue that has been in the game for years. I’ve taken Macc Town into the Premiership and still seen my strikers firing the ball straight at the ‘keeper time after time)

This is usually the result of one-dimensional attacking play which results in a lot of TBs down the centre that the FC has no time to make a decision on. He just has to turn and shoot, or toe poke. If it is happening to you, but not the AI (especially in FM10), it is likely down to your tactical setup.

Again, it's not tactics. My tactics have given the striker a run on goal. At some point, it's down to the player himself. Despite having been told to try and pace his shot, or to try and round the 'keeper or to lob the 'keeper, he does the same thing all the time. Gets to the edge of the area, and whacks it straight at him. If this is the match engine levelling things off, then it's very frustrating, because my tactic is creating chances. If one on ones have less value, then I'll have to start from scratch, because pacy forwards are useless

As I've said above, I have a lot of one on ones aginst me and they put it into the corner of the net time ater time. I play with one or two up front depending on the number of DMCs. With one up front I have two inside forwards either side of him and with two I play with wingers.

Quote:

Again, I'd suggest this is tactical and that you need to explain your defensive settings, as I don't see my side or the AI doing this.

Tight marking and usually a wide formation.

Again, it boils down to the absolute basics. You're a full back. He's a winger. You shouldn't need to be told.

I had a game where I was up 3-0 and I do not really know what I did wrong.

If I am a very bad manager, misinterpret things or just unlucky, then fine I can accept that.

I honestly do not know what I did wrong and people have told me its my tactics, something I said at half time.

I actually quit the game today but if you could tell me what I did wrong, then maybe I can learn from my mistakes.

Here you go Paul C.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/157252/OM-v-PSG---Morale-or-complacency-or-tactics-pkm.html

Thats the game where I was up 3-0 at half time and I went down 4-3.

I have watched the game a number of times and I can only think that the issue was down to...

1. Goalie with poor aerial ability

2. Materazzi having an off game (even though he has brilliant technical/mental attributes)

3. Silvestre seemingly going too forward, leaving his man open. (I don't know why that is)

4. Nearly every goal was a header.

Archived