2D will it always be an option to use

I actually think that making a somewhat enjoyable 2d vision is being detrimental to the 3d vision... Players in real life get much closer to each other, closing down, dribbling past players, etc, than what they do if you look at the current 3d vision. Now if SI changed this, translating it to the current 2d view, with such big "dots" for each player (which I reckon is necessary for us to be able to see what is going on), would look weird because dots would need to be almost on top of each other very often. Now, I believe that the future of the game is definitely 3d, so that is what SI games should care about improving, even if it means a less enjoyable 2d version of the game.

2D is so 2005 and has had it's day, ok some with old spec computers would disagree as this is the only option they have to play the game and there is a few who like 2d because they use to play tiddley winks as a child.

3D is the future of gaming in football manager and most better get use to it and if not upgrade your computers because a game like fm will always be worth it.

2D is so 2005 and has had it's day, ok some with old spec computers would disagree as this is the only option they have to play the game and there is a few who like 2d because they use to play tiddley winks as a child.

3D is the future of gaming in football manager and most better get use to it and if not upgrade your computers because a game like fm will always be worth it.

2D is so 2005?... Really?... What did we do between 2006 and 2009 then? Play the tiddlywinks we loved so much?

2D is so 2005?... Really?... What did we do between 2006 and 2009 then? Play the tiddlywinks we loved so much?

Well there's what FM did, and what every other game did (albeit before 2005). I think that could be the point here.

I can't think of anything more boring that just the commentary tbh. And the 3D is so poor at the moment not to mention that it doesn't work on Macs that it will take a major overhaul before its considered the primary mode of watching matches on FM.

I'm pretty sure 3D isn't brand new anyways, it was in LMA Manager years before FM.

If you had it working you wouldnt be saying 2D is the best, ok you need a good system to run 3D to high quality but believe me it's worth it.

I have a great PC, and the 2D is miles better because it shows more.

CAMRAD.

There is just too much to the game of football to have it accurately displayed on a 3D engine at the moment. With the 2D engine it leaves a lot to the imagination which is good. When I play a match I envision it as a real football match, not a bunch of choppy animations rotating in circles and moving like tanks.

I commend SI for the attempt and I know that a lot of people like it, but I would say that it's necessary to keep the 2D option to keep the game accessible to everyone. FM is the game of the people, just like the sport that it represents.

There is just too much to the game of football to have it accurately displayed on a 3D engine at the moment. With the 2D engine it leaves a lot to the imagination which is good. When I play a match I envision it as a real football match, not a bunch of choppy animations rotating in circles and moving like tanks.

I commend SI for the attempt and I know that a lot of people like it, but I would say that it's necessary to keep the 2D option to keep the game accessible to everyone. FM is the game of the people, just like the sport that it represents.

I'm with you with this. Come to think of it, it was part of the fun, imagining the players moving and how they scored, but with the sake of realism (3D) is losing that fun. But that is my opinion.

If you had it working you wouldnt be saying 2D is the best, ok you need a good system to run 3D to high quality but believe me it's worth it.

I had it working on my PC and to be quite honest 3D is still too weak and to take your words "The FM10 3D is so 1990!" ;)

This is a really interesting discussion, I personally want to embrace 3d but I honestly feel the 2d shows tactical changes in a clearer way

I agree, I like the 3D and it works fine on my laptop, but I can see why people like the 2D view.

Just want to add that I too still feel the dots are the best and should be retained forever more. I played the game since CM9798 and was initially suspicious of these intruding dots but it didn't take long before I grew to love them with all my heart!

Particularly on my many long term Cm03/04 saves I found myself paying so much attention to these sluggishly moving Dots that my family were a little worried....

It is my opinion that even a vastly improved 3D engine will never be better than the Dot system. It's to do with the human gamer's imagination of what the dots represent.

A goal from 30 yards from a Dot conjures up all sorts of amazing images in the gamers mind of what the goal might have looked like in real life whereas the 3D match engine only has a certain number of permutations and once you've seen them all that's it, leaving little to the imagination.

thats rubbish, i have a great computer that runs the 3D really well but i prefer the 2D. Its a matter of personal opinion and not fact in any case.

2D should definently remain in the game as I find it better to watch and analyse games along with a lot of other players.

I'm certain the 2D will stay forthe forseeable future. I'm confident in saying there are still far more people using the 2D view than are using the 3D view. Many, including myself, who have the option of running 3D with our system specs are still choosing to play with the 2D match enabled, I find it far more enjoyable

I prefer the 2d as well. Mainly because the 3d isn't advanced enough at this point to actually be worthwhile, the 2d allows you to fill in the gaps with your imagination. In a way the 3d feels to restricted...when a player scores a sweet goal it usually looks pretty crap in the 3d view, whereas you can imagine it to look like whatever you want in 2d.

Never had an issue with 3d on my macbook

Well I don't know what you have selected but its choppy as hell on my macbook pro. Takes a lifetime to load up and even longer to get through a half and thats with the quality at rock bottom. Its not my machine as its only a couple of months old. Same thing happened on my last mac with 09.

Unless of course that the choppy animation is the actual quality of 3D, in which case I'm more than happy to stick to 2D ;)

Aye, down with all of this new-fangled 2D nonsense. I prefer text! (If I could have my match reports via carrier pigeon that would be ideal) :D

I remain annoyed I can't do my press conferences via fax machine

Late night Football Manager, the computer screen the only glow in the room and you score a last minute winner...

the GOAL flash of the text lights up the room and all seems right with the world

I demand an end to all those 2d/3D progress nonsense...if you want style and nonsense such as naming your children and being able to kick the ball from the touchline and get sent off for it....go and play bloody FIFA Manager you bunch of kids ;)

Well I don't know what you have selected but its choppy as hell on my macbook pro. Takes a lifetime to load up and even longer to get through a half and thats with the quality at rock bottom. Its not my machine as its only a couple of months old. Same thing happened on my last mac with 09.

Unless of course that the choppy animation is the actual quality of 3D, in which case I'm more than happy to stick to 2D ;)

It's not SI, god is punishing you for buying a Mac.

I loved when 2d was first introduced, I think it made a big differece for the game.

The introduction of 3d did not make as big impact as introduction of 2d but still it is a very valuable feature and it will just get better. I hope they can keep 2d in place but as long as my machine runs 3d smooth and stable I'm not going back to 2d. Yes 2d shows more area of the pitch but Elevated full screen tv view of 3d is also showing all we need, you do not need to see your GK when you are attacking on the other half.

LOL how can you say 3D is for the lite users?

In Real Life, do managers view their games from a 2D perspective? Nope, I say 3D is for the more hardcore who have to see the tactics working in the 3rd dimension!

In real life, do managers view their games like they are being shown on the television? No! They see the whole pitch and don't just follow the ball like the 3D cameras do.

It's obvious that a top down view is the best for looking at player movement and tactics etc. That's why many managers go up to the stands to get a better view and it's also why much of their player analysis will be done using 2D tools such as prozone.

3D is for people who want to pretend that they're managing Manchester United and watching the match on the television. 2D is the only option for any self-respecting FMer. ;):p:D

Regards,

C.

Hehe, a bit of a silly argument that ;) Neither 2D nor 3D view is "realistic" if you want to be technical about it. Managers don't view their games like on a TV but they don't watch 2D dots from a top down perspective either.

2D will probably always be an option I think. Even if they move completely to 3D you will always have an aerial view camera that will serve the same purpose. 2D for the most part feels better because it leaves a lot to the imagination but some of the goals I've seen in 3D look fantastic and somehow more "satisfying" than in 2D. When they improve the animations to make the 3D view resemble a football match more accurately, many people will be switching, even some of those hardcore dots lovers :D

I totally agree with this. 2D ftw!

FM09 converted me to 3D because the 'Elevated' view was basically a 3D version of 2D where you can see the whole pitch. Now though, Elevated has zoomed in a little and only shows about half the pitch which isn't good enough for me. I have gone back to 2D!

Archived