FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Camp Nou, Barcelona!

I've decided to go for it, using my traditional narrow 4-3-2-1 formation. This could be messy...;)

There are 58,935 in attendance, not bad! Our bank balance before the tie is £408k.

We're missing Alberto Merola and Michael Muhr but overall have a strong side out. They have a similar team out again.

24mins: Fran makes a great save, tipping a Guarante free kick onto the post.

29mins: Andy Clarke's rasping drive fizzes past the post. Keeper got a touch.

HT

54mins: We break down their possession round our box and the ball falls to Andy Clarke who chips a delightful ball over the top for Onyema to chase. In on goal....GOAL for Castillo!! Beautifully slotted in the bottom corner! 1-0

82mins: Carletti picks the ball up and smashes a 30 yarder off the bar!! So unlucky. Gone all out defence now.

85mins: They're flooding forward but we catch them out again. Carletti sends his effort just over again.

87mins: Zlatan with a great chance but Fran saves at his feet. Immediately from his goal kick Bangoura is through 1 on 1 but Fran stands firm again!!

90mins: Zlatan puts a point blank header wide!!

93mins: The final whistle goes!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-0 CASTILLO!! 1-0 CASTILLO!!!

And we just made £1.1m from their gate receipts :)

That'll buy us a new youth academy thank you very much :D

Wonder who we're gonna get in the next round :)

EDIT: Awesome we've been drawn to play Atletico Madrid!! Hope they're ready for a beatin'

Wow iacovone! That's amazing. Not only did you win, they created zero clear cut chances :eek: I wanna buy your tactic! :D

Big congrats! On the money to! And crossing fingers for Real Madrid in the next round :D

(edit) Ah, At. Madrid, that's just as good. This is gonna do wonders for your finances!

Des Tiny's Turkish Kebab

Ummm Adventure maybe...

The New Challenge

Yes I was very annoyed at the penalty loss, so instead of continuing at Elgin I decided to have a Turkish go, reset date is 20th June, and I have a save on 17th if anyone requires it. I have signed up as the manager of Afyonkarahisarspor...yes you read that correctly, probably pronounced it wrong though. From here on forwards the club shall known affectionately as The Afy's! Boring I know, but what else can I do. We don't own our stadium, we pay 9k a year in rent for a 10000 (7000 seat) stadium, we are expected to finish 17th of 18 teams and to Avoid Relegation (Board offered attempt) I can have 9k transfer & 13.75k wages, current wages are 1,660 p/w haha. So about 12k to play with there, and we currently have 34 players on the books, quite happy, though I can have 0 foreign players so have to be looking for Turks to start with.

Des Tiny's Profile & Personal

The Club's Info, Facilities & History

The Squad's Senior & Youth

I`ll try to do a Castillo away against Porto now on Estádio do Dragão. We play our normal tactics offensive tactics and I´m pleased to say my team is at full strength which means Ishak Belfodil (15g/15m 7.62 avR) will play.

10 min - Nooo. Romeu off inj. Dany to replace. (5g /2(8)

19 min - Belfodil free but a good tackle clears.

20 min - Kiraly scores on a header. 1-0 Porto.

Ht - They have the chances 6-2, we have the possession 42-58. If we can get a goal in I think we actually stand a chance against Porto away.

50 min - Ferreira makes an easy save on a Soares breakthrough.

70 min - Porto has nothing but a mistake by Alejandro Marañón allows a crossing that scores on. 2-0 Porto. It´s clearly not the day for a cup upset in Portugal.

84 min - Helder Barbosa scores. 3-0.

FT - 3-0 Porto. Ah well. We played well against Porto and had the possesion but could not convert it into chances.

At least we got £200K in Gate Receipts.

Aww, I missed all the action last night. :(

Wow, iacovone, what a tie and a great result against Barca at home and then to win away is amazing.

Good luck in Turkey LLR.

edit: I'm gutted, just noticed the team who beat me on penalties in the cup are now playing Real Madrid, if only. :(

brand.gif

Lorca Deportiva Club de Futbol - Season 2010/11 summary - Spanish Second Division B4

Spanish Cup - Not entered

Media Prediction - 9th

Final Position - 6th

Final Table

Results1

Results2

Squad stats

Best XI

Summary:

The three friendlies I played went well scoring 12 goals and not conceding so that put me in a confident mood going into the league campaign.

A 1-1 draw at one of the title favourites Écija in the first game followed by a 1-0 home win was a good start. However the next 4 games without a win and the pressure was growing, I know now I shouldn't have predicted a title win for the board to get a higher wage budget. :DThis message started coming up before every single match for the rest of the season whether I won or not. It was quite satisfying I happened to win that game then this happened. Things just weren't going to plan and we were as inconsistant as Simon Cowell's comments about John and Edward. Then towards the end of the season, thanks in no small part to Dervite (see screenie later) we found form. Somehow the table going into the final game looked like this. We were playing Ejido at home and Jerez Ind. were home to champions Jaen, simple, win and we're in the play offs, draw and Jerez don't win and we're there, lose and Ejido make the play offs. Well, not good, before the players even had a chance to start playing Ochoa was sent off in the first minute and we were 2-0 down at half time, we pulled one back only for them to go 3-1 ahead before we scored in the 81st minute. Despite going overload we couldn't find an equaliser, and we would have made the play offs due to our record against Marbella.

At the end of the season Ancelotti got the England job which is a good choice, but Guess who got offered the U20 job, I was honoured.

Key players:

Dorian Dervite - This was a major coup, I have my scout to thank for finding him, picked him on a free (ex Tottenham) around October but had to wait until January to play him. Was by far the player of the second half of the season if not the whole season.

Ivan Djurdjevic - Played on the wing and was excellent all season which is highlighted by his 14 assists, he can also hit a free kick with some venom and swerve.

Rodri - At the start of the season he was wanted by a few clubs and despite his high wage we kept hold of him and I'm glad of it. Played most of the season as a defensive midfielder and was excellent.

Lloyd Sam - Picked up on a free after being released by Charlton to solve my right sided problem. He actually played most of the second half of the season as a striker as I only had one registered, but did well in that position.

Adam Szalai - Another freebie who was playing for Real Madrid previously, mainly for their B team though. Was our top scorer but I will be looking for another striker or two in the summer.

Best player not to play a game:

Romualdo - On £4.1k a week and he couldn't play a single game, couldn't even get rid of him. In the boardroom meetings the board kept suggesting we take him off the list, weirdos. The funniest thing about this is he went to Granada on a bosman and then they go and get relegated and are now in our league, so he is spending another season out in the cold, they're only paying him £2.9k a week though. :D

Season   | Division             | Finished | Spanish Cup | Achievements
2010/11  | Second Division B4   | 6th      | N/A         | Close to the play-offs

Just finished a small shift at work so got around 10/11 hours today to play with until I go back to work at 10pm tonight.

[rant]What I learnt last night was my board are pants, given me a pish budget for transfers (1.5k ha) and 6.9k a week wages. Was already using that before the new season started and I'd released a few players. The board rejected both my advances for more transfer and wage money. They are more worried about the facilities than the players at this point in time which is annoying. I thought establishing ourselves in top flight football should take priority. [/rant]

Anyhoo's....I jut signed a Scotsman. Nothing special just a 32 year old Simon Lappin who will be my LB for the season. Just beat Sheff Utd in a friendly and Everton to come next. Raking some money in via friendlies is awesome.

OMG an away victory over Barca thats HUGE! Biggest result of the thread so far haha. :)

That's all I wanted to hear :D

Des Tiny's Turkish Kebab

Ummm Adventure maybe...

Good luck with the Afy's Des, good to have you back!

Lorca Deportiva Club de Futbol - Season 2010/11 summary - Spanish Second Division B4

Season   | Division             | Finished | Spanish Cup | Achievements
2010/11  | Second Division B4   | 6th      | N/A         | Close to the play-offs

Great first year at Lorca berty :thup:. 6th is an excellent finish.

On the Castillo front I've just been informed that my chairman is looking to leave the club. I just hope he doesn't pocket that £1m from the Barca game :p. I also hope that I don't get a tycoon takeover - as much as I loved it with Savona last year, I'd like this year to be my own hard work and not millions of pounds thrown at the club!

\o/ convinced the board to relay the pitch at the end of the season as it is currently 'terrible'. Need to hope the new board bring ambitions of a youth academy as the current idiots seem dead set against it! I'm convinced they are going to scarper with the cash in the bank :mad:

We need a new name for this challenge :)

in what way??

Iacovone - marvellous result v Barca. couldn't manage to stay up last night for it but it's just made my lunch!! fantastic mate :thup: and the money is nice too.

LLR - good luck with the Afy's. i had debated trying Turkey so it'll be interesting to see how you go.

Ohanzee - that was a great job offer. done the right thing staying with Noja though!! ;)

berty - good first season with Lorca. some decent signings too. it'll be interesting to see how you get on with Dervite for a whole season... good luck.

Good luck in Turkey LLR.

Btw, you can't sign foreigners in the 2nd Division but did you know Azeris, Kazahks, Uzbeks and Turkmenis do not count as foreigners? The only problem is the regens from all of those nations are generally rubbish! :p

Having said that, I did sign an aging Kazahk striker (Aliyenkov I think) in FM09 to help Yalovaspor theough their first few seasons and there was a handy Uzbek striker (regen) who spend most of his career in the Super Lig so it may be worth checking the central asian regens once in a while.

Welcome to the Castillo del Romeral for this 4th round 1st leg tie against Atletico Madrid. We have a 2/3rds full stadium of 2626 fans in attendance today.

I have thrown a new signing straight up front in Merola's absence. Wonder if Nicola Giacomini can surprise a few people. He has electric pace that's all I'll say :D

Atletico have neglected to include Sergio Aguero and Andre-Pierre Gignac thank god!

12mins: Juan Carlos receives a pull back and hits one 20 yards out, deflected but Fran makes the save.

34mins: Jonathan Gomez put in a low cross to the back post where Barkroth was waiting. Too far out for a shot he put another cross into the 6 yard box and it was a battle of will between Amodio and Hoarau. Hoarau won the scamble...1-0 down.

38mins: Disaster, Barkroth sent the ball into the box and Amodio challenged Juan Carlos but tripped him - penalty. Hoarau stepped up and converted the penatly. 2-0 down :(

45mins: Ravel Morrison found space on the left and beat the full back. Went to swing a cross in and it was deflected for a corner. Except the defender tried to keep it on, instead heading straight to Morrison, who picked his spot to make it 2-1. GOAL for Castillo!!!

48mins: Fran to Angel Luis at RB. As the pressure came he hoofed the ball forward, inadvertantly sending the new boy Giacomini through on goal. He moved the ball onto his left foot and bang! GOAL!!! 2-2!!!

HT

54mins: Giacomini strikes just wide for the good guys.

77mins: Horoau tries to get a shot off but its bravely blocked again!

84mins: Juan Carlos sends one just wide of Frans post.

91mins: An Amodio corner is swung in and Carletti heads a looping header to the back post....cleared off the line!! So unlucky...

93mins: Ball breaks to Vlug who carries it forward and slips in Giacomini...the Atletico defenders catch him up but the ball breaks to Carletti who bundles his way through two tackles...chance....GOAL!!!!! 3-2 Castillo!! 3-2 Castillo!!! What a well taken goal!!!

Unbelievable...how on earth are my players defeating Atletico Madrid and Barcelona and then losing to Gimnastica 2-0!? Madness.

It really doesn't!! With performances like this we should be winning our league by miles. Must be my team talks or something :rolleyes:.

Either way we'll be celebrating this result for a while! We have Barakaldo at home (which we'll probably lose) and then head to Madrid for the big one!

They are 2nd in Liga BBVA by the way. It really is madness, I've never had a set of results like this :cool:

First off potential new chairman Pedro Gil has stated he wants Javi Baraja to become the new Castillo manager should his consortium take over the club. **** off this is my house!!!!

Secondly...Welcome to the Nuevo Vicente Calderon!! We have a full strength squad to pick from, other than Alberto Merola and I've stuck with the same side that played in the home leg.

Atletico have brought Gignac and Gio Dos Santos back into their side and are quite clearly going for this!!

1min: Jose Angel crosses for Gignac to tuck in a header from close range. 1-0 down, losing on away goals.

10mins: Maureta caught in possession but Amodio gets back to make the tackle.

16mins: Giacomini has a chance but it is straight at the keeper. The resultant goal kick finds its way over our defence and Gignac is in...chopped down by Amodio, penalty...2-0 down :(

23mins: Angel Luis caught in possession by Dos Santos...he maraudes down the right and crosses for Gignac...3-0 and a 23 minute hattrick :thdn:

44mins: Gio gets down the right again, crosses for Barkroth who is chopped down by Amodio again. Penalty again. Goal again. 4-0...4 for Gignac.

HT

56mins: We clear a header off the line.

62mins: Fran tips over a Gignac point blank header.

69mins: Gacic hits one from distance for us. Our first highlight \o/

72mins: We break up play and hit them on the counter attack. Malafaia's shot goes harmlessly wide though.

82mins: Raul Garcia picks the ball up on the edge of the box and smashes one home to make it 5-0

FT

Well I guess we had that coming to us in the end! 5-0 is kind of what I expected to happen in the Barca games and the home leg of this game so can't complain really. Carlo Amodio did have a shocker though (3.4)...

Good luck in Turkey LLR!

Porto are tough Uffe. Great players and play a formation I hate to (in my game)

berty1978 that's an amazing first season. I think you must be the first one to not finish a breath away from relegation the first season in Spain? Well done! You have some brilliant players though, how is your wage budget? Rodri alone have almost twice the budget I had first season (our budget was £3,3K total). :eek: Looks like you've found a club with great promise! :thup:

Amazing result at home again iacovone! :D I agree, it don't make sense. My team also seem to perform a lot better as underdogs. Always been the case in FM though imo.

We've played a few more EURO cup matches ourselves.

1st KO round

Dortmund (away) 1-1

Dortmund (home) 4-1

2nd KO round

Udinese (away) 1-1

Udinese (home) 2-1

We got Porto coming up, which will be tough I fear. They have some the best regens in the game in midfield. And they play a formation I hate, a sort of 352 with 3 MC and 2 WB. Either way we've done great in our first season. And we're doing great in the league.

Nice work there Ohanzee! Good luck against Porto - so rare to come up against teams playing WBs on this!

I think we may be back on track now. A 1-1 away draw with Ferrol was admirable and we've just defeated forever high flying Burgos (3rd) 5-1 at home. :D...could we make a late playoff push?

That included a hattrick from new man Giacomini :cool:

Great result against Burgos. They where my Nemesis for so long!

EURO Cup Qtr Final

Porto (home) 2-0 - We scored after just 6' minutes through our European striker of the year Ferri. After that Porto changed to a 532 with a back 5 instead of wing backs. And we controlled the match after that. Could have been more if they didn't have MoM Cavalieri in their goal.

Still that's a fine result, no away goals conceded too! Could be crucial.

Burgos have been a real thorn in my 7(:eek:) seasons but its now Vecindario who are the pain! They've only lost once all year and won the title off me last year. Somehow didn't get promoted! We have them at home next...

EURO Cup Qtr Final leg 2 | Porto (away) 1-2

I feared the worst as Porto set out in their 352 again and surely after 26' minutes we where already 2-0 down. At half time we had a hopeless 4 shots on goal to their 9. My assistant wanted to tell the players they only needed one more goal, but I was mad, really mad. So I told them just how angry I was with them. I guess they got scared (in a good way), cause they completely outplayed Porto in the 2nd half. We couldn't get a goal though as Cavalieri kept bringing out his best.

Extra time. First half nothing happened, and I mean nothing. Then aftet 107' minutes we got our goal. Paul Clayton from a corner kick! After 116' minutes Bianchi thought he had scored the equalizer, but it was disallowed. It didn't matter though as it finished 2-1!

Thanks for the corner routine iacovone. I haven't checked how it's done in the league, but that goal alone is worth it :D

We got Bordeaux (who beat Bayern Munich) in the Semi Finals. The other one has Manchester City and Benfica. Bad news is Ferri will miss at least 2 matches from his injury. That means he's out for our away match to Getafe, who we are actually still competing with for the league title. And the first game against Bordeaux.

--edit--

Whoo hoo! We beat Getafe easily. Hammered them really. This season is getting incredibly exciting now. We are top of the table. But Valencia just 3 points behind will beat us if we end up on even points cause we lost both home and away to them.

We have home games against Celta and Albacete and away games against Murcia and Espanyol left. Two of the tougher teams away. Valencia have Salamanca, Malaga and Getafe away and Sporting home.

I bet we manage to toss it away and end up losing on equal points even though our goal difference is miles better. Crappy rule. Exciting!

--edit2-

EURO Cup Semi Final leg 1 | Bordeaux (home) 5-1

The result does in no way reflect the game. A 3-3 would probably be a more fair result, but I don't care :D Vlcek stepped up to the task of replacing Ferri up front and scored a hat-trick. My turn to have the goalkeeper that plays 8.0+. Their goalie played 5.70.

We beat Celta at home 3-1, but Valencia also won their game. Vlcek pulled his hamstring and is out for 2 weeks :(

Hmmm Dodgee I didn't know that about the "non-foreigners" makes it a little bit more interesting, on another note I am able to scout all of southern europe, but I cannot buy any of their players, are you serious. And I am going to have real trouble with my future side, even in the top division I can only have a max of 8 foreigners in my 23 man squad, I have never played with a local based side before, but it makes for a challenge :)

I think Iacovone it has something to do with your team being given no chance at all and you throwing them out there in an attacking formation, the other team comes at you, your defenders just hack it down the other end and then a striker pounces and scores. Your main tactic is not a possession holding one is it? Because I have found in my 4 seasons with 4 different teams so far that if you use a slow possession game against those below you it seems to work better, while when you are under dogs a quicker attacking game seems to work. Of course I could just be fluking it haha.

Cheers iacovone. I hope you're right :)

EURO Cup Semi Final leg 2 | Bordeaux (away) 2-1

I took a bit of a risk and put two of our first teamers on the bench cause they where 1 yellow card away from a ban. Didn't matter though as our very own Stella played another amazing game in goal and got a MoM award for it. Another game we didn't really deserve to win, but we're in the final!

Manchester City awaits. I don't have to high hopes of beating them, they are most likely just in this competition cause England isnt playable in this save. They'd probably be in the top 4 of England by now with their money. They have some amazing players, but their defense seem to be the weakest link, just like for us. Could be an entertaining final.

Archived