FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

Iacovone, I asked about the Stadium Expansions in a thread this year, but it seems they think they were in last year as well, that you were forced to expand as you move up the leagues. I know this wasn't the case as we had some incredibly small stadiums in the top leagues, across the board, and also no complaints about the stupidity of spending money without loans, someone is telling porkies. :)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm well aware berty after failing at the 3rd stage last year ;)

Well I did recall correctly then ;), I do appologize Iacovone, I got caught up in the excitement of it all with us both being in the play offs and all. :D

Seriously now though, congratulations on promotion there. That's unfortunate about the stadium expansion and crippling your debts though, stupid board. :(

Some excellent players you got there Ohanzee, Ferri still uncapped for Italy, what is the manager thinking of.

Well this is going from bad to worse. Transfer embargo has just been placed on me at the start of the summer as another consortium tries to buy the club. I really hope this is over fast otherwise I'm going to be attempting to avoid relegation with the exact same side as last year :rolleyes:

Great round up Ohanzee on a fine season. The two Ukranians really are amazing, its rare to see one top class Ukranian regen but to find two and both CB's is awesome! I assume they're first choice for Ukraine? Ferri is becoming a bit of a legend and I hope you continue for many many years to see how Ramon and Calzado turn out! Did either of them come through the academy?

EDIT: Also what is the point of having a bloody parent team if they don't send you anyone on loan!? I think my reputation is still so hideously low that I can only convince players from the division below me to join :eek:.

Not sure how I missed this yesterday but huge congrats Ohanzee on your EURO Cup win.

Iacovone, congrats on promotion too.

At the point that I went to work yesterday, I had just gotten to the end of the group stages of the EURO Cup. We got past the qualifiers comfortably enough, and then only had 1 loss in the group, which contained Hertha BSC, Charleroi and PSV, which has set us up a 1st knockout stage tie against St Gallen.

Our league form is interesting again, lots of draws and a few wins, but maybe the period for a month and a half without European football will fix that!

Iacovone, I asked about the Stadium Expansions in a thread this year, but it seems they think they were in last year as well, that you were forced to expand as you move up the leagues. I know this wasn't the case as we had some incredibly small stadiums in the top leagues, across the board, and also no complaints about the stupidity of spending money without loans, someone is telling porkies. :)

Haha someone is definitely lying there! I remember the same last year with Savona. There were definitely not enforced expansions on the last FM. Its ****ing me off that they're in this version though :thdn:

Tell you what, just escaping that bottom league after 7 years feels like I've completed the challenge :D. I've got sooooooo far to go in this haha. I wouldn't be too surprised if we get relegated this year /o\

EDIT: Amazing, we managed to get the pitch relaid. Except they've relaid the pitch at the wrong bloody stadium as we've moved!! More money wasted. What an incompetent boardroom I have...

EDIT2: Takeover hits the rocks again...

Well that is just absolutely ridiculous. Board takeover has dragged on the whole summer and I've not been able to sign a single player. The window has now shut and I'm entering the new Liga Adelante season with the bare bones of last year....

This is going to be really tough I expect.

EDIT: First game against Alcorcon away. Went 3-1 up but conceded when Abels was off the pitch receiving treatment. Then conceded in the 90th minute to draw 3-3. Bit of a disappointment but a point away from home is a good result so I'm reasonably pleased. 36 year old Ricardo Malafaia, captain of the club, started and scored 2 :cool:

Well who doesn't want a weekend break on a Canary Island? Think of all the tourists who can't be without football for so long, they may want to see a good Spanish club play!

I have actualy done that :D Well I was there for a few weeks and not a weekend.

iacovone - great review as ever. bit of a pain in the arse the whole expansion, debt and transfer embargo saga. survival must be the only option now.

ohanzee - a great reveiw again also. looks like you have a really good spine to the team there. good luck in the CL. your successes are making me all nostalgic to Real Oviedo last year.... ;) if only to be at that level again..... :(:D

your successes are making me all nostalgic to Real Oviedo last year.... ;) if only to be at that level again..... :(:D

It is great to be at that level isn't it! Though to be honest as painful as these years have been down a the bottom, they've also been incredibly fun (in a way). I love it when you discover a player who is just marginally better than the rest of the league and he looks like a world beater. See Alberto Merola for my example. Hero!

EDIT: No Copa del Rey heroics this year. Got blown away 3-0 by Mallorca at home :(. Could really have done with the gate receipt money as well!

Euro Cup 1st Knockout Round:

Leg 1: St Gallen 1-1 Elgin City

Leg 2: Elgin 4-1 St Gallen

Wow we have made progress, not got past this round before :)

We face Galatasary in the next round.

Leg 1: Elgin 3-1 Galatasary

I just hope that away goal wont come back and haunt us.

Good luck Gilbster :thup:

We are nearing completion of the takeover apparently. Guarantee we'll receive absolutely nothing in the way of free hand outs from the new big wigs..

EDIT: Takeover hits the rocks AGAIN. FFS!! Get it sorted you useless muppets :mad:

2015/16 - Elgin City - Scottish Premier Division

Media Precition: 12th

Finished: 6th

League Cup: Qtr Final

Scottish Cup: 5th Round

Transfers - Hardly any activity this season due to transfer/wage budgets. A new LB in Lappin, a back up GK, when had a injury crisis earlier in the season and Ameobi as back up striker, though he played about 1 game as sub. Bosmans meant a influx of players leaving at the end of the season including Van der Post to Red Bull Salzburg.

League - We started well picking up points regularly. Then form decided to spasm and we yo-yoed between the heavy heights of 4th and lowly 9th. We picked up some decent results over the clubs below us but we were terrible against the likes to Rangers and Celtic picking up 2 points from a possible 24. We were lucky to finish 6th really, if it wasn't for their league system we would have finished 9th as we didn't win a single game in the Title play-off group.

Squad - Again pretty much the same squad for Elgin this season, will be reshaped in the forth coming season though. Smarason and Quintero were the spearheads and backed up by Van der Post and Carril.

Finances - Again started in the red due to under soil heating this time but were soon in the black after the friendlies. We then soon made money smashing our ticket sales twice during the season thanks to Rangers both times. We gained a creditable 1.4m for finishing 6th.

Next Season?

• Find some decent Scottish players
  • Mid-tabled finish.

Season|Division      |Finished|Achivements
10/11 |3rd Division  |1st     |Champions
11/12 |2nd Division  |1st     |Champions
12/13 |1st Division  |6th     |-
13/14 |1st Division  |1st     |Champions, Challenge Cup Winners
14/15 |SPL           |9th     |Survived
15/16 |SPL           |6th     |Consolidation

ToMexico!! - Well done finishing in the top half! That's one major step already.

iacovone - I've been to Gran Canaria a few times myself, lovely place and lovely people. I never got a single loan player from Werder Bremen myself either, really pointless. Sad to hear about the transfer embargo. We had ours at a much better period between transfer windows. Hope your scouts find you some free young gems for the winter window. It opens early in Spain, which is very nice. The registration window I mean.

About the Ukrainian stoppers. Actually neither of them was capped at the highest level before joining us. I don't really get why, but the obvious first choice for them have been Dmytro Chygrynskyi (of Barcelona) for the last 10 years. The second stopper for them seem to have been Serkiy Kryvtsov (of PSG). There's also 3 other regens that have 9-13 caps each. But I don't see why my regens never even got into a friendly match or as substitutes. Now they are both first choices for their country though.

On topic of national teams, Pedro Calzado got his first 2 caps already (only as a substitute though). Hard to break in with Fabregas, Busquets and Camacho all being around 30 years.

I'm just about to start on the transfer window. Scout reports and searches to go through, again. I swear I spend 4 times the time in the two transfer windows than in the rest of the season.

We already secured one major player though. I often forget to check players who's contract run out, but this time I remembered. Alan Dzagoev is the one. You've probably all heard of him already, bastard scored against Man Utd at Old Trafford. In real life he's regarded one of the hottest prospects in Europe (at least by me :D) In the game he's been with Benfica for 9 seasons. He's 29 now, but he'll bring some real quality into the squad. We have 5 central midfielders I feel are real quality now, so 2 of them can get injured or suspended.

(edit) We've been given a £16M transfer budget and £516K wage budget for the season. Nothing like Real Madrids £3,5M wage budget (when they offered me the job), but it means I can try to attract a few quality players for our first Champions League season.

Right this is a really short update as I've fallen behind.

**Season Update - SO Romorantin - 2011/12 Season**

League

A good start. We had an excellent first few games and actually hit the top briefly we fell away in the end though and finished 10th.

Transfers

Quiet season for them.

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements/Wins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11			National			15th				Avoided relegation
2011/12			National			10th				Consolidated

Previous Updates

2010/11

Congrats on the title Ohanzee and good luck with the Champions League!

Glad that you finally got promotion iacovone but the boardroom stuff must be a nightmare. I had the same with Estudiantes Santander in Mexico on FM09 - a board takeover took all summer before collapsing altogether. Of course, it coincided with a summer in which a number of players left on pre-arranged deals or Bosmans and I had to cope with just 18 first teamers in three different competitions until January!

Looks promising in the Europa League Gilbster. An early goal for the away team in Istanbul always kills off the home side's challenge. ;)

PRDH - Good luck next year, I was half expecting you to be on verge of promotion this year already, what happened?

I dunno how you feel about talk of real life in here, so I'll keep this in small text. Here's a video of Dzagoev against Man Utd (youtube). He's really good at driving the ball forward and the finish he had on his goal was just amazing. Although VDS could probably have been slightly better placed. He's gonna be a big star if he keeps it up.

PRDH - Good luck next year, I was half expecting you to be on verge of promotion this year already, what happened?

I finished that season a while ago. I finished another one and I'm 6 games into the next one. So I really am behind!

I might get a similarly short update of the most recent season up tonight as well. Then I can plough on and be ready with my usual large updates again.

berty - I can have 4 scouts, 6 coaches and 2 physios now. Unfortunately just adding 2 coaches (up to 4) and 1 scout (up to 3) has taken me over my wage budget! That's before I've even signed anyone :rolleyes:. I'm in a real mess and results are mirroring this, we are 0-1-3 so far :(.

If I go down....

Ohanzee - I'm a big admirer of Alan Dzagoev (mainly because of my Amkar Perm file on FM09) where he took us to pieces season after season at CSKA. And I have no problem with real life talk! That goal was awesome, I too thought VDS could have done better but it was so good he can be forgiven. Milan Krasic was great that game as well.

Thankfully been given decent budgets this year, trying to make use of them. Secured the signings of a few 'coups' but still need to improve a couple of areas. Three 1-1 draws on the bounce now, scoring goals is becoming a problem.

Only got a couple of hours spare for this tonight but will be back in full swing tomorrow and friday going into the weekend.

Ohanzee - Dzagoev is an amazy player, good luck this season.

iacovone - well done on promotion, knew it would happen.

berty - thanks for noticing my title, has been changed now.

berty - I can have 4 scouts, 6 coaches and 2 physios now. Unfortunately just adding 2 coaches (up to 4) and 1 scout (up to 3) has taken me over my wage budget! That's before I've even signed anyone :rolleyes:. I'm in a real mess and results are mirroring this, we are 0-1-3 so far :(.

If I go down.....

Oh crap! Really good luck, would be such a shame if you went straight down again, even if your attendances go up a lot that wouldn't dent a huge debt like that.

Ok, can someone please explain to me exactly how the transfer system for Brazilian players work?

I've been trying to sign two 16 year olds who have been playing for 1,5 seasons in Santos and Corinthians. Both teams play in the ND1 division according to a search. I thought there was a rule against signing so young players from Brazil so I didn't expect either of them to come, but I wanted to secure them for the future so I activated minimum fee release clauses on both.

Carlos | Career stats

Tony | Career stats

Why did Carlos join us already, while Tony won't until 2021? I see no difference in them at all.

Good luck Gilbster, you can do it! :thup:

Sounds familiar PRDH, hang in there.

I got 20 days left of the transfer window and it's busy busy. Arsenal bought my Rossi (AMR) for £17M over 30 months. Not very happy about it, but we got a couple of backups now that Bianchi can play there and Ribeiro has to step up soon, maybe he will. We also lost Saavedra to Juventus for £7M and Shalamanov to Roma for £8M. But I wanted to sell them.

brand.gif

Lorca Deportiva Club de Futbol - Season 2011/12 summary - Spanish Second Division B4

Spanish Cup - 2nd Round: 2-2 vs Alicante (5-6 on penalties)

Media Prediction - 6th

Final Position - 1st

Final Table - Graph

Average Attendance: 7512

Results1

Results2

Squad stats

Best XI

Overall Best XI

Stadium expansion

Finances

Summary:

The league:

The first league game against Cerro Reyes is a game we should be winning but despite having numerous chances it ended 0-0, I was wondering if that was the shape of things to come. How wrong could I be as we won the next 4 games, scoring 14 while only conceding 2 (that included a 4-0 win against the team who beat me to a play-off position last season, Ejido) before getting a respectable draw at Ecija. We never really looked back from there and mid season we went an incredible 10 games without conceding a goal thus parking the tank, this was followed by our first defeat of the season, a 1-0 home defeat to Ceuta who were my closest challengers at the time. So a 22 match unbeaten run was ended then we went on another 13 match unbeaten run (12 of these were victories) before another 1-0 home defeat to surprise play off contenders Roquetas. We ended up 18 points clear of Ceuta as we set a record number of points and goals scored and goals conceded.

The play-offs:

We were drawn against Vecindario in the play-off semi finals, a team who themselves gained 91 points in their division. I knew it wouldn't be easy and when Vara got sent off I was fearing the worst but despite them having a goal disallowed we deserved to win it with 3 clear cut chances to their none but it ended 0-0. In the back of my mind was the fact that our only two defeats all season have come at home, so when Pinau then Rodri scored in the first half my mind eased because we were all over them and they never looked like coming back from there, Pinau grabbed another in the 80th minute to give us a deserved 3-0 win and we were promoted.

Then it was just the matter of playing the final to decide the Second Division B overall champions and we were up against Alcorcón with the away leg first again. This time we made no mistake as we cruised to a 3-0 win. Despite their best efforts in the second leg we went into a very early 2-0 lead and seemed to switch off but it was too late for them and they came away with a 2-2 draw which meant we were champions.

The cup:

We were entered in the cup this season and were drawn away to the team who beat me on the final day last season to make the play-offs at my expense Ejido. We came away with a deserved 3-1 win that gave me confidence for the season ahead, but a battling 2-2 draw at home to Alicante was followed by a shoot-out which we lost. I was gutted because later in the competition Alicante played against Real Madrid so that could have been me trying to emulate Iacovone's success against Barca. ;)

The players:

1. Salvatore Sirigu (GK) - Kept an amazing 20 clean sheets including a run of 10 consecutive games without conceding. Very solid in goal.

2. Graham Kelly (DC) - Signed on a free after being released by Chelsea and really broke through this season by keeping Ochoa out of the team. Scored a hat trick in a game which is more than

3. Ivan Djurdjevic (DL, ML) - Losing his pace but still does a job when called upon.

4. Rodri (DC, DM, MC) - What a season he had, 6 goals, 10 assists and an 84% pass completion rate. Despite being 32 he will defanitely do a job at the higher level.

7. Pasquale Pinna (DM, MC) - Signed from Sampdoria on a free and played most games in the MC role and did well, his passing was also excellent.

9. Saúl (ST) - Signed on a free after scoring 17 goals for Burgos the previous season, so I knew he had goals in him. Started the season on a flyer scoring something like 18 goals in 16 games, but slowed down towards the end, ending up with 25 in total, but also an impressive 12 assists.

11. Julián Vara (DR, WBR, MR) - Played on the wing and was highly impressive getting 20 assists which I can't really ask for more from a winger.

12. Steve Pinau (AMRC, FC) - Signed on a free from Genoa and I retrained him as a striker and he made the position his own. Ended up as top scorer with an impressive 30 league goals. Not surprisingly the fans player of the season.

13. Bastien Chantry (DR) - Signed in January to replace De Wree and was very good, I'm sure he can carry on the good form next season.

14. Dorian Dervite (DC) - Arguably my player of the season, he carried on his outstanding form into this season and rarely made a mistake, also became an expert coming up for set pieces scoring 6 goals.

16. Manu Micó (DL) - Spent all season trying to get him to sign a new contract, has now signed and taken a pay cut. A good season at left back.

17. Juan Cruz Ochoa (DC) - Had a good season but had his position taken away by Kelly, but still good as a backup.

21. Enric Vallés (ML) - Excellent on the left wing, not only gets assists but also gets his fair share of goals too.

22. Manuele Benetti (DLC) - Signed on a free in anuary and came straight into the team, playing left or centre back and looks a good prospect.

Sold: Kris De Wree (DRC) - Signed at the start of the season and played very well in the right back position. An offer of £275k was accepted in January and he was gone again.

Season   | Division             | Finished | Spanish Cup | Achievements
2010/11  | Second Division B4   | 6th      | N/A         | Close to the play-offs
2011/12  | Second Division B4   | 1st      | 2nd Round   | Second Division B overall champions

Very good performance anyways Gilbster. Reputation keep rising :thup:

Congrats berty. You got some very talented players there already. :thup:

I'm just watching the world cup qualifiers (real life) while shifting through scout reports. Some unexpected scores so far.

Gilbster - 2028/29 Elgin City - Scottish Premier Division - End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Squad | Transfers | European Results | Scottish Cup Final

For the first season, my chairman made me feel like I was at a real football club. I actually had a £7.5 million transfer budget and a reasonably large increase in wage budget. As a result I bought in a few good players with that money, including a goalie (who is already unhappy!), and 2 defenders who have proven themselves all to be worth the money I spent.

Our league form started a bit dodgily but then improved but we were never looking at higher than 3rd place this season which is where we ended up.

It was though a season all about the cups. First up we made it to the League Cup final, where we lost to Rangers. We in a set of draws against beatable teams made it from the 3rd qualifying round, all the way to the Quarter finals of the EURO Cup, which is a fanatasic achievement. We also won our second Scottish Cup, also against Inverness CT.

Pretty happy all around with the season we had. Consistent with previous seasons in the league and domestic cups and a huge improvement in Europe, which can only help our rep.

We have already been told we are having another 5000 seats added to Borough Briggs, which when completed will take the capacity to just over 18,000. I fear though that yet more of our good player will be leaving on bosmans, so may be another one of those seasons to rebuild.

Aims

More progress in Europe

Another Scottish Cup

Top 2 would be good in the league

Buy a new striker

Buy some more midfielders (especially DMC and AMC).

Career So Far

Season    Division           Position    Points     Achievements
2010/11   Third Division     3rd         59         Lost in playoff semi final
2011/12   Third Division     1st         77         Winner
2012/13   Second Division    4th         56         Promoted from Playoffs
2013/14   First Division     1st         72         Winner. Challenge Cup Winner
2014/15   Premier Division   12th        34         Relegated
2015/16   First Division     2nd         67
2016/17   First Division     2nd         60
2017/18   First Division     1st         67         Winner
2018/19   Premier Division   7th         49         
2019/20   Premier Division   7th         47
2020/21   Premier Division   8th         47
2021/22   Premier Division   7th         54         Scottish Cup Winner
2022/23   Premier Division   4th         69         Scottish Cup Runners Up. Euro Cup 1st Knockout Rd.
2023/24   Premier Division   1st         75         Champions!  Euro Cup 1st Knockout Rd.
2024/25   Premier Divison    6th         52         
2025/26   Premier Division   7th         53         League Cup Runners Up
2026/27   Premier Division   2nd         79         Runners Up - League and Scottish Cup
2027/28   Premier Division   3rd         69         Champions League 1st Knockout Rd
2028/29   Premier Division   3rd         64         Scottish Cup Winners. League Cup Runners Up. Euro Cup 

Quarter Finals.

bjoggi33 - Jose Maria looks pretty good for lower levels. His mental attributes are a bit low for 20 years though, but his determination could make him pretty good.

rlipscombe - Good luck in playoffs.

PRDH - Good luck, sounds tense.

Archived