FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

2nd Round Playoffs Leg 1

2nd Round Playoffs Leg 2

So gutted. We deserved it especially in the away leg where we had a stream of chances 2nd half. Can't believe we went out on away goals in extra time. If Angel Luis hadn't been sent off in ET we'd have one it because they were down to 10 men through injury. Season review to come shortly.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Juan Baldomero's...

Castillo C.F 2015/16 End of Season Review

Second Division B1

The "so close yet so far away" Edition

2nd|Graph

Predicted Finish: 13th (up from 16th)

Squad - The heroic performers

Finances - we are financially sound these days.

Transfers - Merola, Thiam and Angel Luis were the pick of the bunch.

Season Ticket Holders - 45 (2 more than last year)

Estimated Value - £925k (up by £300k)

The Generalities...

An unexpected season that so nearly culminated in promotion. I'd expected a year in which we'd close the gap towards playoffs again but this was beyond our dreams. Credit must go to the goalscoring abilities of Alberto Merola and an airtight defence. We were so good this year that I am actually left feeling disgruntled that we didn't quite achieve promotion through the playoffs.

The Players...

Alberto Merola was cast off by the Inter Milan management and recommended by my scouts. He did far better than I expected and was scoring a goal a game til he hit his rough patch. I'm convinced we would have been promoted were it not for this. :(. Picked up the signing of the season accolade.

Jeffrey Vlug would still like to leave the club and is still listed by request. Despite this he put in his best ever season for us. A great player despite his obvious deficiencies in his stats, I hope I can convince him to stay.

Ravel Morrison was an inspiration this year. Following another tactical switch he now plays behind Merola in a two with Vlug and has been devastating. Another one to get injured for the playoffs though.

Enric Maureta has been at the club since day 1 now and is still club captain. This year was by far his best, contributing a significant number of goals from CM.

Johan Abels and Carlo Amodio pretty much played every possible game this year at CB together. They are by far and away the most solid partnership in the league and I desparately need to keep them at the club if we're going to go up this coming year. Amodio was voted fans player of the year.

In goal Fran was superb this year. He makes saves that I don't see other keepers make in the match engine. He played every game for us this year and will be vital next season too. Bit of a cult hero.

Average Attendance: 754(last year 649)

Fans Player of the Year: Carlo Amodio

My Player of the Year: Alberto Merola

The League Campaign...

So near yet so far should be the tagline. We had a very indifferent start to the year as shown by the graph but gradually our form picked up. Without being too smug I altered the tactics to make the AML and AMR - AMC's and its worked wonders. We play narrower but have an Arsenal-like style about us around the box! Obviously the key was realising the potential of Alberto Merola and once he started over Big Dom we were always in with a chance in every game.

The highlight of the year was going 15 unbeaten in the league. Our defence conceded just 29 goals and we scored the 3rd most in the league with 72! As mentioned before, we should have wrapped up the league on the last day but those scrappy bastards at Palencia prevented us by shutting up shop at our home. So we lost the league and then ever so unluckily lost in the playoffs to Alconcon. Still we have the experience of that now and I hope it will spur us on to lift the league title next year.

The Federation Cup...

No idea why we were entered in this cup but we did well enough, beating Leganes 3-0 on aggregate in the first round, Talavera 4-1 on aggregate in the second round before losing 3-2 on aggregate to eventually promoted Rayo Vallecano. It was enjoyable and I'm pleased to say we'll be competing in it again this year!

Other Stuff....

Club Info

Best XI

Overall Best XI

There have been no improvements to facilities or stadia at the club.

The U19s came 14th out of 16 and are still useless. Not had a single player through yet that is even close to becoming a consideration for the first team.

We have another new sponsor pushing us up another 10k worth of revenue.

The Plan...

We have to keep up the pressure at the top and achieve a playoff position again. Unfortunately we have a horror show set of fixtures to start the campaign. Away to Burgos (3rd last year) to open it up, followed by a trip to Barakaldo (12th) before newly relegated Ferrol visit us. We then have Palencia (7th) at home followed by last years champions Vecindario away! Awful start to the campaign :eek:.

I think our squad is strong enough, I'll obviously keep looking for improvements and I'd say an AMC is about the only position I'd look for at the moment. Merola must stay fit!!

Progress so far...

Season   Division          Position     Achievements
2010/11  2nd Division B1   15th         N/A
2011/12  2nd Division B1   12th         N/A
2012/13  2nd Division B1   8th          N/A
2013/14  2nd Division B1   13th         N/A
2014/15  2nd Division B1   10th         N/A
2015/16  2nd Division B1   2nd          Lost in 2nd Round of Playoff Phase, Quarters of Federation Cup

He really is! He's quick and has good finishing, but to be honest his stats aren't much better than a number of other forwards I've tried so I don't know why he's so much better! Not that I'm complaining of course. Must be his Serie A pedigree.

We are predicted to come 12th this year :D. Clearly the pundits think that was fluke last year. We nearly won the bloody league ffs! Carlo Amodio is now on the clubs favoured personnel list. I'm still not there though :(

Thanks berty. 2nd Div is a tough one but i feel really pleased right now. To bad there don´t seem to be any money in Liga Vitalis. I hope the attendance will rise at least.

There is not so much difference between the Second Divisions and Liga Vitalis. Of course you have the top third of the table filled with teams that were at some point relegated from higher up, but the rest of the league plays on 2nd-Division level.

Amazing progress ElDani, puts me right to shame for failing in portugal. :o

Thanks, but I have played many other lower league teams over the years in past FM versions in countries like England, Scotland, Germany or even Spain once. That's why I knew that my approach with buying experienced football oldies could work. There is also plenty of risk involved, because failing to be promoted means you need to build a new squad within 2-3 years and having such a high wage budget (some older players will be 3-4 times as expensive as youngsters) will certainly push you into debt.

So far the transfer window haven't been to good. My board decided to sell Massaro to Sampdoria for £10M over 30 months, and I just lost out to Bayern Munich in my hunt for a big central defender. Probably the next Lucio with my luck :p

I knew that Spain was a rich and fertile ground for newly promoted teams, but having a single transfer in excess of €11M is something I can only dream of here in Portugal. It's a real shame, because my whole offensive team (ML, MR, AMC, ST, ST) is worth that amount and some of them are being courted by clubs like Man City or AS Roma for - to them - ridiculous transfer fees.

Great Update iacovone. :thup: I would have been so frustrated by now after not gaining promotion. Great achievement to stay with the save for so long in the same division.

Just conceded a 94th minute own goal equaliser from my GK. Garrrrrrgh. Another point gained on the other hand.

Great Update iacovone. :thup: I would have been so frustrated by now after not gaining promotion. Great achievement to stay with the save for so long in the same division.

Just conceded a 94th minute own goal equaliser from my GK. Garrrrrrgh. Another point gained on the other hand.

Cheers. Now you say it I didn't realise that was my 6th season just gone! Shows I'm really into the save despite the minuscule progress :D! Still, that last season has given me loads of hope, I just pray we don't have second season syndrome and fall right off the pace again. Its a shame Ferrol got relegated because they are really strong. Could be hard to keep pace with them.

Unlucky with the GK own goal :o

Summer transfer window is over (Transfer History).

Here's the players we got.

• Bogdan Petrenko (DC) - Bought from Anderlecht for a record breaking fee of £10,25M. We're paying it over 30 months though. He looks brilliant and scouts said he's be a leading star in most teams in LIGA BBVA. Only worry is his language, but that's why I decided to go for the next player as well.
  • Azamat Krasnov (DC) - Bought from Feyenoord for £10M (also payed over 30 months). Another Ukrainian, which should help with the language barrier. These two brilliant Ukrainian center backs will hopefully make our defense very strong in the years to come.
  • Karel Kejcik (MC) - Czech Republic 18 year old. Very hot prospect, apparently.
  • Wanderson (AML) - Brazilian 18 year old. Huge prospect according to scouts. 2nd nationality Portugal, so already a EU player.
  • Lars-Gunnar Danielsson - Swedish 20 year old. Great prospect, but the main reason I signed him is he can play both fullback positions. Nice to have such players.
  • Karl Barrett (GK) - English 18 year old. Decent prospect. Mostly just a failsafe in case both my first team GKs get injured.
  • Pablo Riggio (GK) - Argentinian 19 year old. Same as Barrett.
  • Fraco Estevez (AMC) - Not a summer signing, but I forgot to link him in my season review. He came in the winter transfer window from Zaragoza who had transfer listed him. Promising, but he's a backup.

We sold quite a few players as well as you can see. Massaro was sold against my will, but I guess £10M is ok, and Wanderson looks a good prospect. Still have Hornsby and Saavedra who can play AML anyways. Other major sales where Thomas, Villagra, Morrison and Acimovic.

I kind of wish I had not sold Joseph Thomas now though, cause my two Ukrainians can't be registered for the EURO Cup :( I'm really happy to have gotten the two new center backs though. And they already made an impact in the Spanish Super Cup.

LEG 1 (home) | LEG 2 (away)

Another trophy in the S.D. Noja cabinet! :D

We've also played the qualifiers for the EURO cup. We got very easy opposition in FK Vetra Vilnius of Lithuania.

LEG 1 (away) | LEG 2 (home)

We completely dominated both games. Group stage draw gave us this group with Besiktas (TUR), Rapied Wiend (AUT), and BATE (BLR). I don't think any of those teams are better than mid table Spanish teams, so we should have a decent chance of getting through. Problem being our defense obviously since the new signings can't play.

Summer signings for us have certainly strengthened the squad.

Aleksander Gacic could potentially be awesome for us. With Jeffrey Vlug possibly leaving this year and Ravel Morrison deeply depressed about everything I needed more AMCs in the squad. He can also be back up striker for Merola. Happy with him.

Michael Muhr is another AMC who could really make a difference. He comes highly recommended.

Andy Clarke and Neil Simmons both come from the Glenn Hoddle Academy. Simmons will be back up to Fran in goal whilst Clarke could press for a starting position in the 3 CM slots as Malafaia is now nearly 35 and Maureta is 31.

We have great depth in midfield now but I'm going to ensure I don't rotate too much as this has been a mistake in the past. I'll be using the friendlies as my only basis on who starts.

Ohanzee the two Ukranians are amazing!! So is Estevez as well but I guess he's behind the young 19 year old no? Wanderson will have to improve his mental side to be effective I'd guess. Daniellson looks very good too, I like having full backs who can play either side too, always a bonus! Nicely done in the super cup :thup:

Nice signings iacovone. Gacic looks superb. And Clarke looks very promising. All of them do really.

Yea I play with Pardini, Ramón and Calzado in central midfield. Calzado is constantly at 70% or lower condition after 70 minutes though so Estevez will be the super sub to come on and win us games with his free kicks. And I'm sure there'll be injuries.

Just lost our first league game. Away to Barcelona though. 3-1, but we played well and funnily enough won the CCC stat 3-1. Shows that on a good day we can compete in the top, but we need our attackers to take all their chances.

I hereby solemnly swear to stick with Castillo CF until I am either sacked or until FM11 comes out, because that is likely how long it will take us to get out of this god forsaken division!! :(

We are 3-4-3 so far in the league. Same old, same old. I honestly don't think we will EVER get promoted :D

I'm with you all the way iacovone! I could well be in this division for all eternity! Two completors languishing in the bottom tier!

iacovone - Would you mind letting us in on your corner tactics btw? I asked already but you probably missed it cause I edited it in, back when people where talking about it. We scored a whole of 1 corner goal in 38 league games last year :o

Ok for my corners I leave the delivery on mixed (though thinking about it this could actually be changed to penalty area).

I then have two players staying back at all times (2 full backs). I have 4 players running from deep (2 CB's and 2 CM's), one on the keeper, one going short and two attacking the near post. Simples :)

This was posted last page. It worked for me two seasons ago in a big way. Last year I don't have the stats but I'm sure we did well.

Oww sorry, I guess I was the one that missed it then :o Thanks, I will try that this year :)

We won our first EURO Cup group game. 3-1 home to Besiktas. Lucky though, our defense is definitely our worst part without the two Ukrainians.

Oh for goodness sake! First game, Copa del Rey against non league Toledo. 5-1 win but Alberto Merola has twisted his ankle and is out for 4 weeks :mad:

Gacic the Bosnian came on though and went up top and bagged 2 :)

All is not lost but he really needs to stay fit this year :thup:

I'll be amazed if we can start the season unbeaten at Burgos.

Angel Luis (RB), Carlo Amodio (CB), Johan Abels (CB), Jeffrey Vlug (AMC) and Merola (ST) are all out! That's 2 thirds of my defence and my top goalscorers from last year :eek:. Guess this will test the depth of the squad now

EDIT: What an embarrassment. 4-1 loss. Ours was a consolation. Awful start to the new season :thdn:

After 3 and a half years and many good times and great successes spanning FM07, FM08, FM09 and just getting started on FM10, my laptop gave up the ghost and quite unexpectedly died today. :(

Off to the service shop tomorrow - I just hope it can be fixed without me losing all my saves! (Of course, I backed up my saves on a flash disk on a weekly basis over the last three versions of the game but had I done it yet for FM10? Had I ****! :mad:)

Woohoo! Turns out to be nothing more serious than a faulty battery. New one now charged up and ready to go - the Brancos ride again! :D

I think I may take a night off studying to load up and celebrate. ;)

Well unlucky iacovone, good luck for the rest of the season. I hate play offs too, don't think I've ever won any playoffs in FM (not that I remember), but that will have to change of course due to the nature of promotion from the Spanish Second B. :(

Fantastic news DodgeeD.

Currently bombing through my first season in the SPL. Update should be up tonight. Just got rid of my Assman, he was being an Ass. Replaced him with Paul Hartley who was already on my coaching staff.

One thing that is bugging me at the moment, coaches telling me that youth players should be signed to Pro deals...they're no way good enough but if I release all of them now we won't many left. Should be able to block/hide certain back room advice.

Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Lost 2-1 at home to Ferrol in our 2nd league game. 2 games 2 losses and again because of injuries. CB injured at 1-0 up, had to put my left back at CB and needless to say we were exposed. Lost in the last minute.

This could be a long season :(

EDIT: 3 of my 4 CBs are out. Got lucky with defensive injuries last year. This year its the complete opposite. Squad is decimated. We're going to have to ride this out and hope for a good strong run a month or so down the line

Congrats Gilbster!

I don't think I've ever been on such a good run in FM before. I thought it was about to end when Las Palmas got a 82' minute equalizer against us. But I put on another attacker and went for it, and it payed off. 11 wins in a row in all competitions, including 2 cup games where my B-team played. Long may it last. We're through to the knockout stage of the EURO Cup as well after 4 games.

Rui Silva is the new chairman of Casa Pia. He has told me he has no intentions to invest any money into the club. To bad.

We are still doing extremely well. First in LV and still in both cups. Ishak Belfodil is still scoring at will and has scored 12 in 12 matches.

Come on Iacovone. It IS a long season, you can turn it around.

Well qualified for the next stage Gilbster, good luck.

I'll do my update for last season at some point, but I'm starting the next season and I've already beaten the team who stopped me getting to the play offs last season, Ejido twice, in the cup and 4-0 in the league. Revenge is sometimes so sweet, just need to carry it on now.

Someone end the hurt. CM playing CB, lost 2-1 away to Barakaldo. I'm going to get sacked if this carries on :D

Think of me at the moment sitting at my desk delivering a Homer Simpson-esque hysterical laugh

I know how you feel, after about 10 games into the season I had the manager under pressure message before every match, talk about hanging by a thread. :D I shouldn't read too much into it because even after going on a run of 3 or 4 games without winning I somehow managed to keep my job. Keep going though iacovone, I've decided if I get sacked from Lorca i'll holiday to the end of the season and take a newly promoted team from then.

p.s. I was probably under pressure due to the fact I said Title winners at the start to get more wage budget, this season I've gone for top half finish. :D

Archived