FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angri - 2010/2011 End of Season Review

Media Prediction - 17th

Actual Position - 14th

All in all, i view this season as progress for Angri. Being their first season in the league, a finish of 14th place is a new record high position for the club - Record High

Having only won 1 of my first 18 matches, i was bottom of the table come the new year, but managed to pick up enough points in the 2nd half of the season to escape the drop, but only thanks to a 6-5 aggregate victory in my playout against Sangiovannese, the second leg of which saw me score goals in the 90th and 93rd mins to ensure my safety - Playout 2nd Leg

For the new season, my aim is now to improve on that standing, and also try and find some younger blood to try and continue the momentum ive started to build up...eg, my top-scorer last season is 40 years old! Massimiliano Bongiorni

without his 15 league goals last season i would never have survived, but with 0 funding ive only been able to pick up 1 or 2 who im not sure can carry me in the event of his eventual retirement, Sebastian Bueno the most notable of my signings...

Player of the year - Luigi Giandomenico - played a pivotal role from midfield, 36 matches, 6 goals, av rating 6.81

Other players of note -

Mikus Vigani - not a huge goalscorer, but chipped in with a few assists and a solid performer

Masimilliano Cianfarani - a bit of a rock at centre back, especially second half of the season, where i went on a run of 7 games without conceding, after shipping a LOT in the first half of the season

For next season, onwards and upwards i say!! fingers crossed anyway :D

I hereby solemnly swear to stick with Castillo CF until I am either sacked or until FM11 comes out, because that is likely how long it will take us to get out of this god forsaken division!! :(

We are 3-4-3 so far in the league. Same old, same old. I honestly don't think we will EVER get promoted :D

Can I sign some U-23s and register them in January for the remainder of the season?

Yes, and you can at any time sign U19 players on free transfers and use them straight away.

Unlucky having Boavista in good form in your league DodgeeD. You'll move up next year, I can feel it :)

Hang in there Gilbster. You're doing great really. :thup:

Good luck this season iacovone, how do those new Italians look? I wanna see Castillo at the next level! You can do it!! :thup:

Well done staying up G-Wiz. Hardest part done, most of us seem to be living on the edge the first season.

I'm getting close to the end of a very exciting season. Including some uncertainty about my job at one point. Will tell you more once I'm done. ;)

I'm excited already Ohanzee! The Italians are quite good but really nothing special enough to get us up the league! So depressing haha. We can't attract anyone that I'd consider a very good player in this league :(

My plan now is to buy youngsters, sell them on for a lot and build up the youth facilities! Then hopefully I'll get at least one half decent player through who can become the knight in shining armor we need!!

Keep going Iacocovone, you will get there.

Rangers are currently poaching my players on bosmans for the new season. I will be without my new striker (who I foolishly only signed on a 1 year contract), my Goalie of many seasons, and a DL. Well goalie isnt going to Rangers, but why don't my players ever want to renew their contracts?

That's a remarkable goal iacovone, I'm way to impatient for that :D My tactic is buying 18-23 year olds who are decent, they don't have to be good. Then play them, a lot. Cause attributes rise very fast when young players get to play a lot. Especially if they have high determination. After 2-3 years you'll have at least 4-5 players that are good for the level you're playing at.

Take Benedetti for example. I picked him up when I was in the same division as you are now. This is how he looked back then. He's still here and my first choice left back. This is how he looks now. My scouts didn't say anything about him having potential to be a decent LIGA BBVA player, but he has become one.

Well he is far better in his original profile than anyone I've had so I'm still struggling! But I do have quite a good defence now so if the new boy Alberto Merola can find some goalscoring form we may have a chance. Big test now at home to 1st placed Lugo...

Yea, my point was really about potential though. Scouts don't always seem to know what they are talking about. I don't remember what they said about Benedetti, but none of the players I picked up down there was better than "a good Second Division player" according to them, for potential. I don't know if it's just that the scouts want to comment compared to the division you are in or that they are really bad, but my point is that I don't think you should listen to them when it comes to potential.

A bit of help guys.

I currently have Demba Ba as my striker who is going great guns as you can see. I play with one up top, and my 2nd and 3rd options are not as good. 2nd choice is Muniain and 3rd choice is Seleznyov.

Here is Andre Pierre Gignac in my game. He's a favourite of mine IRL (I support Toulouse in Ligue 1). My scout reckons he can bought for ~7.5 million. Money wouldn't be a problem as I will be selling Seleznyov to fund his purchase. Would you recommend buying him? And if I do buy him, who should be first choice? Ba or Gignac?

A bit of help guys.

I currently have Demba Ba as my striker who is going great guns as you can see. I play with one up top, and my 2nd and 3rd options are not as good. 2nd choice is Muniain and 3rd choice is Seleznyov.

Here is Andre Pierre Gignac in my game. He's a favourite of mine IRL (I support Toulouse in Ligue 1). My scout reckons he can bought for ~7.5 million. Money wouldn't be a problem as I will be selling Seleznyov to fund his purchase. Would you recommend buying him? And if I do buy him, who should be first choice? Ba or Gignac?

Why change something if it isn't broke. I would stick with Demba Ba for the rest of the season at least, he is scoring goals for you. Buying and putting Gignac in now could disrupt your scoring/winning sequences. Although buy Gignac now, use his as back up with the view for first choice next season depending on pre-season perhaps.

Agree with ToMexico tbh. Demba Ba looks in great form. If it works for you then stick by him for now. Gignac is a favourite of mine too though so perhaps snap him up in the summer!?

2nd place Cultural Leonosa next (we have an awful record against them).

Just had a 45 yard goal scored against me :mad: Neuer went out to the wing to intercept, tried dribbling his way out of trouble, cue him getting stripped off the ball, and the ball being laid to opponent player and him sending it into an empty net :rolleyes:

Well we drew 1-1 at Cultural Leonosa and I have to say I'm growing in confidence in this team. We may have a chance this year because the teams at the top seem beatable and are losing games. Dare I say it (here comes the curse) but I think we have a chance. Our defence looks so solid!

Well we drew 1-1 at Cultural Leonosa and I have to say I'm growing in confidence in this team. We may have a chance this year because the teams at the top seem beatable and are losing games. Dare I say it (here comes the curse) but I think we have a chance. Our defence looks so solid!

shouldn't have done that my friend........ :rolleyes:

Uffe - well done :thup:

el sid - you're the German Kevin Keegan :D

rlipscombe - I know I know :rolleyes:. Though we've carried on in good form, scored 5 past Mirandes to win 5-1 and keep up our great form. We have Leganes from B2 in the cup - 2 legs. From what I can tell its a cup for Division 2B teams. No idea why we've not been entered before though :confused:

Gilbster - 2026/27 Elgin City - Scottish Premier Division - End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Squad | Transfers | Alejandro's 11 season history with the club

What a difference a day and a season makes. After the last 2 dismal seasons, where we couldnt do anything right at all, we have rebuilt and rebuilt stronger than before. We so almost did the double this season, but unfortunately Rangers beat us to both halves of it.

Our league form was amazing as our positions chart will show, we were there, or thereabouts all season, and only missed out on the title by 3 points. And our second place points total was more than our winning total a few years back, so somewhere that has definitely been progress.

Rangers though are the real thorn in our side, not only did they beat us 3-2 in the Scottish Cup final, but they are taking 2 of our players on bosmans, which wil hurt. We generally seem to have issues holding onto players, but so long as I don't have too many leave each season, I can just about cope!

We will be entered into the qualifying stages of the Champions League, I just hope we can get past enough so that we at worse end up in the EURO Cup.

Aims

Get a new keeper urgently- Alejandro who we have fought to keep hold of for 11 seasons, is finally leaving on a bosman to Almeria in the summer.

Get a new DL

Qualify for some sort of European group stage

Finish in top 2 again next season

Try not to lose too many other players over the summer

Career So Far

Season    Division           Position    Points     Achievements
2010/11   Third Division     3rd         59         Lost in playoff semi final
2011/12   Third Division     1st         77         Winner
2012/13   Second Division    4th         56         Promoted from Playoffs
2013/14   First Division     1st         72         Winner. Challenge Cup Winner
2014/15   Premier Division   12th        34         Relegated
2015/16   First Division     2nd         67
2016/17   First Division     2nd         60
2017/18   First Division     1st         67         Winner
2018/19   Premier Division   7th         49         
2019/20   Premier Division   7th         47
2020/21   Premier Division   8th         47
2021/22   Premier Division   7th         54         Scottish Cup Winner
2022/23   Premier Division   4th         69         Scottish Cup Runners Up. Euro Cup 1st Knockout Rd.
2023/24   Premier Division   1st         75         Champions!  Euro Cup 1st Knockout Rd.
2024/25   Premier Divison    6th         52         
2025/26   Premier Division   7th         53         League Cup Runners Up
2026/27   Premier Division   2nd         79         Runners Up - League and Scottish Cup

Ok for my corners I leave the delivery on mixed (though thinking about it this could actually be changed to penalty area).

I then have two players staying back at all times (2 full backs). I have 4 players running from deep (2 CB's and 2 CM's), one on the keeper, one going short and two attacking the near post. Simples :)

After not posting for an entire week, it's about time to bring another update again. In earlier seasons I've always split up my season into a few parts (pre-season, youth-intake, transfers, post-season-summary) but since I haven't posted any progress about Farense in the past week, here's all that in one giant post. Hope you won't be bored reading my novel of a summary that I've written piece by piece during the past week ;)

Sporting Clube Farense in Liga Sagres, Season 2014/15

Pre-Season preparation

The whole team was saddened to hear about Vargas' and Ferreira's intentions to retire and I will bade them a fond farewell, because it was me that signed them in my first season as Farense's manager back in July of 2010. In their four seasons they were part of a successful history with Farense and played in a total of 54 (Vargas) respectively 41 (Ferreira) league and cup games. Both had also been part of the 2010/11 and 2011/12 Best Eleven squads and were essential in being promoted twice.

After cleaning up Farense's first team squad so only truly Liga Sagres capable players would be on the roster, only 18 players were left. As you can see from the players' ages, most first-teamers have yet to reach their best years and are in fact poised to remain for at least another 5 years. The only exceptions are Eric Matoukou (30yo) who is one of our strongest defenders and Edwin Valencia (29yo) who has been an excellent defensive midfielder last season, no doubt capable of following in Hamilton's shoes.

Hamilton, well that's a topic: after I sold him in January 2014 my fans still haven't forgotten about it and are lamenting his transfer out, a whole six months after the fact. Though judging from his low average rating of 6.14 at his new club Corinthians Sao Paulo, I was probably right to sell him. It's much the same with our other transfer out, striker Kelvin Garba, who didn't fare much better for ZSKA Sofia (22 apps, only 1 goal and 6.35 avg rating).

Sporting Clube Farense, Season 2014/15

Pre-Season stats

Pre-season stat: Transfer budget: € 1,428,831 (after pre-season transfers € 1,489,308 remaining)

Pre-season stat: Wage budget: € 216k / month (last season: € 197k/mth)

Pre-season stat: Current wages used: € 110k / month (last season: € 117k/mth)

Pre-season stat: Sponsorship: € 417k / year (league average: € 1.2M)

Pre-season stat: TV Revenue: € 1.15M / year (last season: € 1.15M)

Pre-season stat: Opening Balance: € 2.2M (last season: € -189k)

Pre-season stat: Estimated Club Value: € 7.5M (last season: € 5.5M)

Pre-season stat: Season tickets: 1921 (last season: 1846)

Pre-season stat: Title odds: 1000-1 (last season: 2000-1)

Board expectations: safe mid-table position (last season: avoid relegation)

Media expectations: 11th (last season: 16th)

My expectations pre-season: top 10 finish, maybe 7th to 10th (last season: avoid relegation)

Expected key players: Tiago Candeias (DC), Edwin Valencia (DM), Giuseppe Gori (ST), Macauley Chrisantus (ST)

Pre-Season friendly matches summary

In our season preparation, Farense has six friendly matches on its calendar. Two of those are easy games against our feeder club CO Desportivo and the non-league club Atlético Clube Alcacerense. Another two are against fellow Liga Sagres opponents Vitória Setúbal (past record of 3-1-3) and Sporting Lissabon (0-2-6). The probably most difficult challenges lie with our international opponents Celtic Glasgow and FC Everton. It's my tentative goal to try for a top five league position within the next two or three seasons, which shouldn't be impossible if our current young players continue to mature. That's why I'm starting to match ourselves with successful European clubs. Without further ado, here are the results:

3:2 win vs. Vítoria Setúbal

1:2 loss vs. Sporting Lissabon

13:0 win vs. Atlético Clube Alcacerense

0:1 win vs. CO Desportivo

3:1 win vs. Celtic Glasgow

0:0 draw vs. FC Everton

Doesn't look too bad, right? :D On an unrelated note: Argentina rocked the World Cup 2014 when they blasted France off the map with a 5:0 victory in the final. They won all seven matches against Israel, Nigeria, Iran, Italy, Portugal, Uruguay and France.

Player changes/Youth intake

Transfer window July-August 2014

OUT: Jussane 23yo (ST; only 7 league apps and 1 goal in 2 seasons) - I initially signed him on a free transfer as a backup striker when we were first promoted to the Liga Sagres. As you can see from his short stats summary, he didn't get to play often and was not all that impressive when he did. Despite a very cheap contract (€1.4k/month) it was high time to sell him now that his stars-rating among my trainers sank to half a gold star.

OUT: Magnum 32yo (AMC; 82 league apps with 23 goals and 20 assists) - there is no doubt about it, he's been THE star of this team for the past three years, after we bought him from Brazilian club Iraty SC for a pittance of €5k. He's been one of the most consistent players and one of of the few who could turn or win a game on his own. Nevertheless, his accel/pace values have decreased from 15 when I bought him to 10 today (a huge recent drop was in fact the catalyst for selling him on such short notice). While I'm very sad to see him go, I'd rather take the transfer value of €1.1M now instead of having him play another season and getting nothing for a worthless football oldie later.

IN: Javier Ledesma 18yo (DM MLC) - I had him scouted by three of our scouts and all of them said, that he could play on a level similar to my current defensive midfielder Edwin Valencia in a few years. Well, since he agreed to a ridiculous low wage fee of €750/month, I've signed him until June 2019 (5 years) and he will most likely play two or three seasons for our new feeder club CO Desportivo in the Portuguese 2nd Division North - if he agrees to it, that is. Since there's already Luis Gil waiting for regular first team apps on the DM position, he has no impact on our first-team plans.

IN: Tiago Candeias 20yo (DC) - Tiago isn't new to Farense fans, since he already played the 2011/12 season for us, when we were still in Liga Vitalis and FC Pacos Ferreira was our parent club. He impressed me back then with his total record of 32 cup & league games, because he'd netted only 3 yellow cards in all that time. Ever since, he has been on my shortlist and now that we finally have a reasonable transfer budget, he has joined us for a fee of €625k. Because he's Farense's first "big buy", we're counting on him to become a future star - he's certainly capable of it.

IN: Ali Koyun 18yo (GK) - surprisingly, Ali was sacked after only one season at Bayer 04 Leverkusen despite his immense talent. It's no wonder that German teams aren't all that successful in European competitions if they give up gems like this one. While I already have two young goalkeepers age 19 and 21, I simply couldn't pass up this free transfer. I'll most likely send him to play at our feeder club for this season and next year I'll sell the worst of our three keepers.

IN: Nuno Morais 30yo (DC DMC MC) - He's been a cheap €95k transfer for us. I signed him mostly because he can play on three important positions in our lineup and because I can regain the whole transfer fee during his contract, since I'm saving a lot due to his cheap wage of €2.8k/month. Most other players of his quality ask for a €10k/month and more, that saves me at least €85k per year in wages and I'm hoping to keep him for at least the next two or three seasons.

YOUTH: David Ribeiro 15yo (DC) - Not the greatest young player, but he's by far the best from this year's intake. What I love about him is not his skill but that he came into our youth squad from a town almost 300km away. Despite the club's "adequate" facilities all over, our youth team is slowly getting national attention. Once he's old enough for a professional contract, I'll loan him out to our feeder club.

Player changes/Youth intake

Transfer window January 2015

OUT: Eric Matoukou 31yo (DRC; 63 league apps with 4 goals) - with an intake of four defensively oriented players, Eric Matoukou seems to have lost his good form from the last two years. He has been an essential part of Farense's defense in the past two years and he was certainly responsible that we didn't get relegated in our first season in Liga Sagres. Nevertheless, after Magnum was sold before the season, he was the oldest player in the first team and the decision to sell was solely a financial one after he only played mediocre games in the fall - €625k is a nice chunk of money for us.

IN: Stefano Lucchese 19yo (DC) - Stefano is one of the more promising Italian newgens. While there are plenty of those in the game, only very few have been available on a free transfer, so Stefano will become only the second Italian player at Farense. He looks to be a solid player and those stats at his tender age make him a promise for the future. After reading Gilbster's ongoing problems with keeping his A-squad intact, I am ever more convinced that signing, shaping and developing young players on long contracts is the right method to success!

LOAN IN: Stefano Mora 20yo (ST) - on a free loan from our parent club Lazio Rome. He's fast, I give him that, but if our first team strikers Gori & Chrisantus can play, they will be chosen over Mora.

Regular season, league summary

• Our first match of the season was against FC Pacos Ferreira in an (almost) full house with an attendance of 11,714. This also got us a new record for gate receipts of €130k for this game. We improved on our positive balance (past record 2-3-1) and won convincingly with 3:0.
  • The next few matches were against teams we've struggled in the past but also against four of the big five in Portugal. While we didn't play as well as I had hoped in those first games, there were other positives: we had two consecutive attendance records (11,956 in a 12k stadium) and Macauley Chrisantus snatched the 'Player of the Month' trophy with 4 goals in his first 3 league games and a 7.90 avg. rating.
  • Five league games without winning against Boavista Porto, Sporting Braga, Benfica Lissabon, Sporting Lissabon and FC Porto put us on 7th position with a 2-2-3 record. That's satisfying enough but I'm all too aware that taking on the big clubs won't be as easy as I had hoped. On a different front we have yet to have a home game with a crowd below 10k - if that continues to improve, we will be needing a new stadium within the next 2-3 years.
  • The first half of the season done, it doesn't look too bad with a 6-4-5 record and Farense lying in 7th place, only 1 point behind 5th and 11 points away from relegation. We had some nice shootouts when we won 4:0 against CS Marítimo Funchal, 4:1 against Sporting Portimonense, 4:2 against FC Gil Vicente and had a 3:0 upset-win against CD Nacional.
  • Our luck definitely changed for the better when we played a home game against Belenenses Lissabon which we won 2:1 with a penalty in the 95th minute! From that point on, we somehow edged out a couple of important wins in the second half of the season which allowed Farense to climb as high as 4th position on the league table.
  • While we couldn't keep that position among very tough competition, the good performances caused our first completely sold out game with an attendance of 12,000 after we raised the record to 11,956 earlier in the season!
  • 2:0 victory against Benfica Lissabon, but we lost Lucchese to an injury for 3-4 months. 3:3 draw against Sporting Lissabon. 3:3 draw against FC Porto. 6:1 shootout against SC Vitória Guimaraes. That definitely looks better than earlier in the season, but I'd love to know where those high-scoring draws come from, they ruin all those statistics about our good defense.
  • During the second half of the season we've been coasting between 4th and 7th place, always on the edge of the Europa League places but with a real chance of getting our first international experience next season. In the end we made 5th place and I am more than ecstatic about it, although there were two or three games which we didn't win by the skin of our teeth. If we had been a bit more lucky, we could have made 4th place directly behind the unshakeable top three in Portuguese football.
  • Since 2010, FC Porto and Benfica Lissabon have each won Liga Sagres three times, with Sporting Lissabon placing second or third on five occasions. They're constantly on top of the league and breaking into this threesome will be the goal to reaching the Champions League some day.

Carlsberg Cup & Taca de Portugal summary

• We had the easiest draw yet in the Carlsberg Cup round 2 group phase. Where we had to compete against at least one fellow Liga Sagres team in previous years, this time both teams were from Liga Vitalis. I was hoping that we wouldn't get over-confident in our matches against Sporting Olhanense and Uniao Leiria, because we needed to win them both!
  • Of course, that would have been too easy! So we drew Belenenses Lissabon early in the Taca de Portugal 3rd round. Even though we won our earlier league game away with 2:1, I was prepared for a close match fearing a loss, because our first team GK was out with an injury. Well, I would've never expected to win 4:0 in a match that should have been a draw at best if you go by the stats.
  • The Carlsberg Cup draw for round 3 was a nightmare with Sporting Lissabon and CD Nacional two of the strongest opponents left in the draw. Since only the first placed team and the strongest second place team of all groups advances, I saw no hope to repeat last year's semi final success. We went into the game against Sporting with a 0-2-8 record and a goal difference of -12, which sounded pretty much hopeless. A rare 0:0 draw left us in the running but we'd need to win the next game with a better goal difference than Sporting and we faced the tougher opponent. Another draw (1:1) against a stronger opponent means we didn't lose a single game in the Carlsberg Cup and still didn't advance.
  • In the Taca de Portugal we defeated SC Varzim, CS Marítimo Funchal, SC Beia-Mar and advanced into the semi final where we once more met Sporting Lissabon. Although we lost away 3:2 in the first leg, there was still a chance if we could play well with our home advantage. Since Macauley Chrisantus shot a hattrick in the game before, I was hoping for a good performance again, but for once the game ended without any goals in a 0:0 draw.
  • For the third time in a row we've managed to advance until the Taca de Portugal semi final and for the second time in a row we've lost against Sporting Lissabon. I'm starting to get irked about our bad record against them!

End of season stats, overview & summary

Liga Sagres || Transfers || Finances || Graph

Average attendance: 10716 (last season: 9025)

Expected Key players: Tiago Candeias (DC) - he played solidly but had very few matches where he played a critical role. Edwin Valencia (DM) - much of the same can be said for him, but at least he had 5 key passes this season. Giuseppe Gori (ST) - he was a convincing striker, having 22 goals in 30 league apps. Macauley Chrisantus (ST) - top scorer in the league with 25 goals in 29 apps, what's more to say other than he was Farense's brightly glowing star this season!

Surprise performances: Alberto (DL) - this 23 year old impressed me with his clever and error-free game getting on the score sheet a few times as well.

Top scorer: Macauley Chrisantus 25 (Top Goalscorer in the league!) (last season: Giuseppe Gori 14)

Top assister: Patrick Fernando 13 (Most Assists in the league!) (last season: Zé Mário 11)

My Player Of The Year: Macauley Chrisantus

Worst buy(s): Nuno Morais, because he had poor morale for the whole season, even though he played in about a third of the games. He didn't disappoint, but he never had a chance to shine either.

Best buy(s): Tiago Candeias (DC), because he had a solid 7.01 average rating in his 29 league games this season and has already doubled his value.

Best sale(s): Magnum (AMC) and Eric Matoukou (DC), because I got a total of €1.73M for two aging stars. Neither one had an excellent game for some time when I sold them and they have become replaceable, something that would have been impossible only a year ago.

Sporting Clube Farense, Liga Sagres 2014/15

My personal Best Eleven

GK: Fernando Magalhaes (26 league apps, 40 goals conceded, 6.88 avg rating) - Fernando came from our own youth so I'm more lenient with him than I probably should be. He hasn't progressed as well as I had hoped in his two years as a regular starter.

DL: Alberto (30 league apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, 7.20 avg rating) - he's the most improved player this season, and he's doing all that for a cheap wage as well.

DC: Tiago Candeias (29 league apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, 7.01 avg rating) - buying him was worth it, but I hope to get more out of this young 21yo player in the future.

DC: Joao Pereira (26 league apps, 1 assist, 6.82 avg rating) - he's not really my best or second best defender, but he played the first half of the season and was back again in the first team after Lucchese was out with a long term injury.

DR: Lillo (30 league apps, 1 assist, 6.89 avg rating) - he improved a little bit over last season and played a solid fullback during the whole season. Lillo is a player you don't have to pay much attention to, because his solid performances came very regular.

DMC: Edwin Valencia (26 league apps, 3 assists, 7.02 avg rating) - he has always played solidly, not showing any great weaknesses, but he hasn't had any star-moments like Hamilton did before him.

ML: Patrick Fernando (29 league apps, 3 goals, 13 assists, 1 MoM, 7.01 avg rating) - coming from my own youth, Patrick has played his third year as a starting member of the first team and he's only 19 years old. His progress has been steady and he was already nominated for the Portugal squad, though he didn't play yet. I hope to see further progression for the next 2-3 years, then he'll be a Liga Sagres star winger.

MR: Zé Mário (30 league apps, 2 goals, 10 assists, 7.04 avg rating) - his performance was much the same as last year and while he had something going for him then (one of my key players, best assister in the squad), he was not outstanding anymore. He's the best example that Farense has really become stronger, because despite his good performance, he was only one more solid player on the grass.

AMC: Omar Hernández (29 league apps, 3 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM, 6.94 rating - what I am missing from Omar are his goals from outside the penalty area from long shots and free kicks. He hasn't had the impact that Magnum did before him, but that is to expected with his low finishing stat. On the other hand, he plays an important role in our lineup, because he as well as the two wingers allow both strikers to perform above their expectations.

ST: Macauley Chrisantus (29 league apps, 25 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoM, 7.46 avg rating) - he played an outstanding second half of last season and he didn't let me down this year either. Funny thing about Macauley, in his whole career he hasn't played a single season below a 7.00 average yet.

ST: Giuseppe Gori (30 league apps, 22 goals, 5 assists, 6 MoM, 7.38 avg rating - four seasons in our squad and he has noticeable improved each time. Unfortunately he was looking to move to a bigger club, but since his contract is valid for another three years, I'll either get some money out of him or he'll help us become a serious contender in European football. Maybe then he'll be interested again in signing a new contract!

Goals for next season

• Get Zé Mário, Markus Berger, Joao Pereira, Lillo, Fernando Magalhaes and Alberto to sign a new contract. At least four of them are regular starters and I plan for them to remain with the club. They still have a contract for the next season 2015/16, but I don't want them to leave with an expired contract. I hope that they won't eat up all our wage budget, but I know that contract extensions will become more and more expensive from now on.
  • Get the situation in the defense resolved. We have enough defenders but still no real standouts. At the moment it looks like we'll need two or three more seasons until the current young talents will come into their own, but will that be too long? Can I keep all other players here for that duration? Will that eat into my wage budget too much?
  • Resolve our goalkeeper issues. Magalhaes hasn't progressed as far as I had hoped and my French backup is no solution either. Maybe I'll look for an old experienced guy for one season, now that we're playing in Europe?
  • Judging from last year's 5th placed team, we will need to play two qualification rounds for the UEFA Europa League. This season, CD Nacional lost against Legia Warschau after winning only narrowly against a Croatian club. I hope that we'll be stronger! I'd love to advance to the group phase, that would be plenty of success for Farense in its first European season under my lead.
  • Our goal is also to repeat our success of this year by finishing in the top 6, or winning the Taca de Portugal for the first time. Both of those results would guarantee us an European adventure.
  • Keep our wage budget tight. We made a small profit of €221k over the course of this season, discounting any transfer income or spending. If our TV revenue remains the same and we have an equally successful season, then I'm looking towards total wages of no more than €135k (€105k currently). Should we go over that number, we'd most likely lose money slowly and there's no immediate way to earn it back, except by selling a player. That being said, the board would allow us to double our current wage budget, but I'd rather impose a healthy budget on myself.
  • On a positive note, I'm not planning on spending any money on transfers in preparation for next season. All important contracts are valid until at least June 2016, so if I spend any money it needs to be on bargains. Of course we're always looking for new and young talents that will be glad to sign their lives away to us in cheap 5 year contracts. We're also looking for two or three backup players with cheap wages that will join Farense from a free transfer - they'll find a place in our reserves squad when two or three of our older guys will retire.

SEASON   LEAGUE        POS   T-CUP       C-CUP       NOTES
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11  2D-N          1st   5th Rd.     -           Promotion!
2011/12  Liga Vitalis  1st   5th Rd.     3rd Rd.     Promotion!
2012/13  Liga Sagres   14th  Semi Final  Final       Not relegated!!!
2013/14  Liga Sagres   9th   Semi Final  Semi Final  
2014/15  Liga Sagres   5th   Semi Final  3rd Rd.     Qualified for Europa League!
2D-N = Second Division North | T-Cup = Taca de Portugal |
C-Cup = Carlsberg Cup

P.S.: Gilbster, I'm always surprised that you manage to make the best out of difficult situations. How often you've needed to completely rebuild your squad I don't know, but you seem to have a talent for starting from scratch and being immediately successful! Good luck in your European future. Good luck to the rest as well.

Well well well...we just went away to Barakaldo (1 place below us in 8th) and won 6-0 :eek:

We really are playing superbly at the moment. We sit 7th but are only 2 points off the playoff places and 6 off Burgos at the top. Exciting season no matter what. 17 games played, so plenty to go.

Anyone else finding it impossible to score of corners?

We've had the same problem with corners in the beginning. That was mostly due to cheap strikers who were only talented with their feet and of course wingers who were harmless at crossing.

In the meantime our tactics have evolved towards a simple but effective strategy: 4 defender + 1 defensive midfielder are looking to avoid conceding goals while 2 wingers, 1 offensive midfielder and 2 strikers keep the pressure on our opposition. While this 4-4-2 diamond system does not favor greater possession - in fact we're barely above 50% in games we dominate - it is very difficult to defend against us.

In the past season both wingers and the AMC had a total of 31 assists in league games while both strikers shot a total of 47 goals. Because we can attack from three sides with equal strength and we have the option to play with fast strikers or passes to their heads, we have a successful tactic for almost any opponent.

10 goals already for Alberto Merola in half the time it took Big Dom to achieve the same feat last year. He HAS to stay fit for us to get promoted. Sadly Big Dom and Elvis Onyema have both been injured for 2 months each. That means Merola is my only man left up front. PLEASE stay fit...PLEASE!!!

S.D. Noja 2017/18 Season Review

The League

It was a brilliant season. We got off to an amazing start 4 of the first 5 games. And we kept picking up wins both home and away. Mostly thanks to a great golakeeper and lots of attacking options. And a bit of luck, we scored injury time winners in 4 away games. This actually lead to a better away record (10-3-6) than home record (9-3-7). At the half way stage we where 6th in the table and we never left that position for the rest of the season. Europe here we come!

The Cup

• This competition was very exciting this year. After tossing Sporting out with a 4-0 win away and another MoM performance by our goalkeeper, I thought for sure it was already over when we drew Barcelona in the next round.
  • After a thrilling match at home which ended 4-4 I was even more sure it was over. After 30 minutes at the Nou Camp we where 3-0 up, I was shocked. Barcelona pulled 2 goals back, but we hung on to the 3-2 and Villarreal waited in the next round.
  • After being 2-0 down at half time in the away game I told my players I expected more and they gave us 2 away goals in the second half to make it a 3-2 loss. At home we where brilliant and a MoM performance by Pardini gave us much deserved 4-1 win.
  • Getafe where next and after winning the first leg 4-0 at home we already had one foot in the final. We almost blew it though, being 2-0 down at halftime in the away game and playing bad. I again told my players I expected much better and they came back to make it 2-2.
  • At. Madrid waited for us in the final. They where having their best season ever and had already won the league by quite a margin. I wasn't expecting much and told my players to just enjoy the match. They enjoyed it for sure. At half time we where 3-1 up. After 67 minutes we where 5-1 up. Pacheco and Aguero pulled two back in the last 10 minutes, but we hung on to a 5-3 win and could lift our first trophy!

The Take Over

With the season going above all expectations I got some at first interesting news. A consortium lead by businessman Justo Villar wanted to take over our club. I was excited at first, but then got the news that Villar would want to replace me if he got the club. For the next months I was biting nails. Part of me hoping the take over would take place and maybe I could keep the job, part of me worried I might lose it. My current board thought of me as untouchable after all.

On the 28th of February came the news we where waiting for. The consortium had taken over S.D. Noja. The first personal message was worrying, saying that the new chairman would want to replace me and install Manuel Pablo. Better news was that money got invested right away, and that work had begun to improve youth and training facilities. The new board also cut our link with feeder club Werder Bremen.

A worrying few weeks continued for me as I was waiting for the new chairman to decide on my future. On the 10th of March came the news I was hoping for. Villar was impressed by the support I had at the club and decided to keep me.

The Players

Here's the team stats (poke if you wanna see anyone in particular).

My pick of the season is Paolo Stella. Without his amazing performance in goal we'd probably not be in Europe next year. He let in 70 goals in 42 matches, which sounds bad, but it's not his fault, it's the defense. Once again not a single defender played above 7.00 on average.

I also wanna mention Ferri and Vlcek who's goal scoring ration is really good. Ferri plays better, Vlcek was more of a super-sub. I'm training all 3 strikers to become AMR/AMC/AML respectively as well, cause I need goal scorers in those positions.

I should also mention Hans Saavedra who managed to stay healthy most of the season (just one minor injury). He managed to get into the LIGA BBVA team of the year, with Ferri as a substitute.

The Finances

Brilliant. Thanks to two things. Our huge player sales last summer, and the consortium who invested no less than £13M. Our average attendance rose a lot this year, I'd like to think thanks to our entertaining matches :p It's at 7,780 now, up from 6,542. I migth ask for another stadium upgrade if we don't get one automatically.

Ramón watch (profile)

He keeps doing well and is definitely a first choice for me now. I gave him a new 5 year deal before the season and he took it. At the moment he is looking to help the club progress, and I hope we can keep him 'till his hair turn gray.

Pedro Calzado watch (profile)

Great season for him as well, although his concentration and stamina is letting him down still. He is a wonderkid. I gave him also a new 5 year deal before the season and he took it. His determination have gone up by 1 point. If only his concentration and stamina would rise he'd become a perfect midfielder.

The Future

Exciting. First time I've ever had a consortium take over. Hopefully they'll give us the financial backing we need to become a real force. We have a great team from the midfield and forward, and at the goalkeeper spot. However the defense is still very bad. I need to find 1-2 future superstar center backs if we are to conquer Spain, and eventually Europe. I find it a bit funny that 8 of our defenders and goalkeepers are wanted by other clubs.

Europe should be a fun experience. I have high hopes if we can get some lucky draws and our strike force keeps performing. It's interesting as well that At. Madrid took over at the top of Spain. Even if it's just a one season wonder they show that it's possible.

SEASON	LEAGUE	POS	S-CUP		NOTES
10/11	2D-B1	15th	-		Almost relegated
11/12	2D-B1	11th	-
12/13	2D-B1	2nd	-		Promotion!
13/14	LIGAa	10th	3rd rnd		Stayed up
14/15	LIGAa	1st	2nd rnd		Promoted!!
15/16	LBBVA	12th	4th rnd		Stayed up!
16/17	LBBVA	12th	Semi Final	Nothing exciting
17/18	LBBVA	6th	Winners		Won Cup! Europe qual.!
2D-B1 = Second Division B1 | F-CUP = Federation Cup | S-CUP = Spanish Cup
LIGAa = LIGA adelante | LBBVA = LIGA BBVA

After 3 and a half years and many good times and great successes spanning FM07, FM08, FM09 and just getting started on FM10, my laptop gave up the ghost and quite unexpectedly died today. :(

Off to the service shop tomorrow - I just hope it can be fixed without me losing all my saves! (Of course, I backed up my saves on a flash disk on a weekly basis over the last three versions of the game but had I done it yet for FM10? Had I ****! :mad:)

DodgeeD, dreadful news! Hope you get a good repairman!

On the Castillo front, 20 league games played (of 38) and we're 4th having won our last 5 in a row. Great form so far. We need to turn around a 1-0 deficit following the away leg at Talavera though to progress in the Federation Cup

2013/14 - Elgin City - Scottish 1st Division

Media Precition: 10th

Finished: 1st

Challenge Cup: Winners

League Cup: 3rd Round

Scottish Cup: 4th Round

Firstly during the season, we were taken over by a new board which was a pleasant surprise but no money was pumped in which annoyed me a little.

Transfers - Only 4 players in this season, we had a pretty decent squad all round but it down to fine tuning specific positions and providing back up to weaker positions. Goalkeeper was certainly one of those positions after we released both of ours from the previous season. Young Dutch keeper Adema joined after being released by Ajax. Peter Enckelman arrived much later in the January window as we could not find a decent back up. I also realised that defence was lacking key back up. So I went about signing a couple of players, Algerian Mokdad and Spanish (yes another) Ochoa both came in for free. Ten players left, including all the oldies, Need, Bednarek, Murty and Gray.

League - We started strong, then became mediocre, before building back up to be strong again and finishing with a flourish. We sat between 2nd and 4th nearly all season which gave me much pleasure after the media had predicted me a shocking 10th in the league. To be fair we overachieved this season, I was thinking another season in the division before mounting a charge on the SPL.

Squad - About par with last seasons squad I think but with a better average age. The squad gelled better and we had 3 decent strikers at last, Pedro was amazy, he started the season on fire but faltered towards the end, thats when Quintero took over, the Panama striker set the league alight firing us to the title with a 10 goals in 5 games at one point. Van der Post was decent all season and we were rejecting bids from St Johnstone and SPL side Dundee. The only disappointment was Trecarichi, 1 goal in 45 games and only 9 assists, maybe someone to replace in the future.

Finances - We made around 500k this season, through cup runs and better attendances. So we reached the magical one million mark before a stadium expansion was announced, which cost us 6mil and we plunged into the red. Days later the board restructured the debts. Thank God.

Next Season?

• Survive
  • Buy Scottish maybe....
  • SURVIVE.

Season|Division      |Finished|Achivements
10/11 |3rd Division  |1st     |Champions
11/12 |2nd Division  |1st     |Champions
12/13 |1st Division  |6th     |-
13/14 |1st Division  |1st     |Champions, Challenge Cup Winners

Archived