FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta send those cold victims home rlipscombe ;)

We defeated Talavera 4-0 in the 2nd leg to go through to the quarters where we'll face Rayo Vallecano from B4. They sit 2nd so that'll be a tough game!

We are away at top of the table Burgos next. Huge game!!

ToMexico - another great season and a wonderful future save to carry on with Rangers!

We beat Burgos 2-0 away!! What a result and it avenges our 1-0 home defeat to them on the opening day. I'll say it again. If Alberto Merola stays fit til the end of the season we will get promoted!! Please don't curse me forums...please

Casa Pia Portuguese 2nd Division Central 2013/14

League

We really had no problems this year. We won 25 of the 30 matches which is quite unbelievable. We had som crazy results though (7-1, 8-0, 1-6) that really surprised me.

In the 3rd tier in Portugal it´s not enough to win your group, to gain promotion you are entered in to a playoff against the two other group winners and you have to end up 1st or 2nd.

Table Fixtures

As you can see we won both games against Pinhalnovense which secured a place in Liga Vitalis for Casa Pia.

Portuguese Cup

We had lots of luck not getting a good team until facing Gil Vicente in the Quarter Final. We were unlucky conceding two early goals and despite a fierce offensive in the end we didn´t come closer than 1-2.

Key Players - Stats Transfers

Stevan Kovacevic

Offensive midfielder who are the teams playmaker. He can both score and make brilliant passes.

Ishak Belfodil

The striker came as a free transfer before this season and instantly made a big impact. 19 goals and 11 assists from 33 games is awesome.

Buba

Buba is with his 32 years this teams defensive brain and he also score a few on corners. Immensly important in the back. After 1-6 I actually were going to kick him off the team but some really impressive efforts kept him his spot and he was really impressive in the end.

Next season

Survival. Everything better than relegation is very acceptable. I just had a talk with my ass man and he told me we are the worst team in Liga Vitalis in every aspect except pace and height. Sounds like we need better players ;).

Career

Season   Division          Pos   PC         PLC  Achievements
2010/11  2:nd Division C   11th  1:st Rnd   N/A  NOPE
2011/12  2:nd Division C   5th   1:st Rnd   N/A  NOPE
2012/13  2:nd Division C   4th   3:rd Rnd   N/A  NOPE
2013/14  2:nd Division C   1st   Qtr final  N/A  Champions, Promotion via playoff.

Nice going iacovone! I find changing players helps a lot in tight matches. We won 4 away games in injury time last season with the sub striker scoring. He came on after 80 minutes. Usually I tend to resign in the dying minutes of matches if they get a goal, but now I've been making changes until the final whistle.

And I've stopped substituting defenders that play bad. I find that usually they get a bad rating just cause they made a mistake on a goal against, and are really playing well a part from that. So I rather spend my subs on attackers and midfielders who can give us a goal.

I've also started asking my Assistant to do opposition instructions and I refresh it 4-5 times each match now. Really helped me. Anyone know what attributes the assistant should have to get really good at this btw? I've never used it before.

Oh the board are expanding our stadium alright, 1,350 seat terrace conversion, whatever that means. I was hoping for 6,000-10,000. Oh well.

(edit) D'oh, they didn't expand it at all, just changed from 9000 (6000 seated) to 9000 (7350 seated).

(edit2) Brilliant. We can never expand our stadium due to lack of space. Guess I'll have to play a billion season and pray for a new stadium at some point then *sigh*

Ohanzee I get my ass man to do the opposition instructions too. I assume the best stats for that would be tactical knowledge/tactical coaching. That's one of the main stats I look for in my ass man.

I've always used subs right to the death too and completely agree with you on the issue of low defender or keeper ratings. Its only mistakes that bring their rating down so dramatically.

We drew 2-2 in the 2nd leg with Rayo - a brave performance but we're out 3-2 on aggregate. Proud of them nonetheless. We've not rested on our laurels though and have taken the game to a strong Real Union side at their place. 2-0 up at HT \o/.

Sounding good iacovone, KUTGW

Ohanzee - shame about the stadium. Not to make you jealous but I have had 2 expansions so far and this season, 500 new seats have been added, to take out some of the standing room, and making us closer to fully seated!

Only just starting this new season, and have so far managed to replace my goalie with a young one with loads of potential, that to be honest this season, I just hope keeps us up! Will probably try and find another if I can in the next season or so. Still need to find a back up AMC.

We will be entered into one of the Champions League Qualifying stages, just hope its one that if we lose, we get to play in the EURO cup!

Good luck in the qualifiers Gilbster!

The minimum expectation of my board this year is to finish top half, the pressure is on. We're given a £8,6M transfer budget and a £280K wage budget to play with though. Gonna search and prod under every rock for a, ehm, rock of a central defender or two.

Leg 1 vs Fiorentina - omg, omg, omg!

This result makes me not as worried about first league game of the season loss at home against Hearts. Never can beat Hearts anyway!

Leg 2 vs Fiorentina - Unbelievable! Excuse me while I faint in shock!

Group Stage Draw - 3rd place can be the only realistic aim I feel. Either way delighted to be back in the group stages. I reckon Rangers' group is even tougher though!

Haha just got the weirdest news item. Ravel Morrison has been in great form lately and then this came up:

The San Bartolome de Tirajana Football Messenger has reported today that Castillo C.F.'s Ravel Morrison is deeply unhappy at recent press attention.

The young attacking midfielder has reportedly threatened to quit Spanish football if he is not left alone

I thought footballers loved the spotlight!?

Love that news item iacovone. Haven't had it myself yet!

I do hope that 2nd place is achievable, but our luck in group stages hasnt been great in the past season or 3. I am very worried about whether the fact I've only signed 1 player all summer is going to be enough, and whether or not this goalie I found is good enough, but hes definitely better than my old backup one. Shame my rock in goal has left the club, so will probably go through a few goalies in the coming seasons until I find one, I like as much. Not had the most encouraging start to the league campaign, 4/9 points, doesnt seem like a lot, although it did include a draw against Celtic!

Just so glad to have gotten past Ajax and Fiorentina, in some style, and to be back in the groups!

Great job getting through Gilbster. Good luck in the group, I predict 2nd to. :thup:

Morrison is a bit of a rebel iacovone, but he's worth the trouble. Although I'm considering letting him go soon. He's been more of a backup the last 2 seasons.

So far the transfer window haven't been to good. My board decided to sell Massaro to Sampdoria for £10M over 30 months, and I just lost out to Bayern Munich in my hunt for a big central defender. Probably the next Lucio with my luck :p

Ah well, onto the next target. To bad we're not getting all of those £10M right into our transfer budget.

(edit) And my second choice central defender went to At. Madrid :(

(edit2) Haha, I've just been approached by At. Madrid. They want me to take over as manager and are willing to give me a £20M transfer budget and £1,4M wage budget. Think I might make a backup save as well for later.

Good first season Gwiz, always a good target to finish higher than the media prediction.

Well done on promotion Uffe, I failed in Portugal (slightly harshly sacked but still failed) and didn't go back because of the difficulty of promotion.

Well done Gilbster for getting back to form in the league, the title is there for the taking again soon.

Amazing progress ElDani, puts me right to shame for failing in portugal. :o

Congrats on the cup win Ohanzee and of course qualifying for Europe.

Great progress ToMexico!, doing well with thse Elgin boys too.

I've finished my first season and it's not bad but it's not great either, I'm aiming to win a promotion within a month of release so a couple of weeks yet. ;)

Good going Gilbster. Very impressive to win over both Ajax and Fiorentina, I also think you will end up 2nd.

Thanks berty. 2nd Div is a tough one but i feel really pleased right now. To bad there don´t seem to be any money in Liga Vitalis. I hope the attendance will rise at least.

Come on Castillo. You can make it!

I just played my first friendly of the season. I lost my first team left winger for 4 months.:thdn:

And I just can´t find any players better than the ones I have who are willing to come to Casa Pia.

And my chairman has just now turned from Loves the club to Willing to listening to offers. Is he looking to cash in when selling a Liga Vitalis team rather than a 2nd Div team?:)

Well now I am going to try to find a new left winger and defender. 34 year old Alejandro Marañón has been great but 7 in acc and pace isn´t good enough now.

Good luck in the qualifiers Gilbster!

The minimum expectation of my board this year is to finish top half, the pressure is on. We're given a £8,6M transfer budget and a £280K wage budget to play with though. Gonna search and prod under every rock for a, ehm, rock of a central defender or two.

Do what I did. Use the 48 month payment option and improve your squad (that includes every position unless they're head and shoulders above the rest of the team already) as much as you can.

So, after following the thread for some time now, I’ve decided to join. Don’t have too much time on my hands right now (I’m going to become a father in the coming weeks, if everything goes well, and in addition I’m renovating a house), but I hope that as soon as I get this game going, I’ll be able to squeeze in a few games occasionally.

Merida UD

First, here is my manager profile.

Background

The team I have decided to go with is Merida UD. The team is the predecessor of CP Mérida, which had been founded in 1912, and eventually came to play in La Liga for 2 seasons during the 90’s, but disappeared in 2000 due to asphyxiating debts. Some of the more familiar names to play for CP were Paraguayan striker Miguel Angel Benitez, Santiago Canizares, Leonardo Biagini and Leo Franco.

Eventually, the club's reserve team, Mérida Promesas, established in 1990, changed its name to Unión Deportiva (UD), going on to take Merida CP place as the main team in the city. Having played mainly in the fourth level as a backup team, it did manage seven presences in the third independently, but returned to Tercera in 2009, just to return a year later for me to take them.

Info/squad/finances

After the preview, and knowing the club’s history, it’s time to get to work. Unfortunately, after taking a look at my squad and facilities, I’ve found there isn’t much to work with. The only benefit being that my stadium is the 2nd biggest in the league with 14,600, after Sevilla Atletico’s 45,500 Ramon Sanchez Pijuan, which is also used by the 1st team.

The finances will not allow me any luxurious signings or investments in the coming season. I also still have some room in the wage budget.

The players

The main player is without a doubt 33 year old captain, ex Uruguayan international forward, Federico Magallanes. The forward has quite an history, and I am sure he will be our leading player for at least, the coming season.

Other players which I see as a major part of the squad are:

26 year old French defender Kevin Debris.

Veteran defender Luis Lopez.

29 year old centre back Raul Sanchez.

Last is 34 year old Argentine striker Dario Husain, who is quite a good striker, but unfortunately doesn’t have an EU passport, which means he can’t play in the league games. In addition, his wage is pretty big, so I’ll have to see what to do with him.

Staff

The club’s staff consists of only 2 people, me and the chairman. This is defiantly an area that I will look to strengthen before anything else. I have placed adverts for Ass. man, coaches, physios and scouts. The main priority is defiantly a decent ass. Man, who will help me find the rest.

Aims for the season

1. To build a decent backroom staff who will help me move forward.

2. Bulk up the squad a little bit with some experience.

3. Possibly find 1-2 young prospects.

4. Finish in the top 10 of my division (media prediction is 12th).

That’s it for the opening post. I Hope that I will get some time to take Merida forward. I’ll report back as the season will progress.

If you score a couple of goals now perhaps you will get 3rd at least Gilbster.

I´m currently having a blast in Liga Vitalis, Casa Pia is first after three wins in a row. I don´t get it. My ass man clearly don´t have a clue about the other teams considering I just thrashed Gil Vicente 3-0 away :)

Mixed emotions - delighted to be in a playoff position but the league was in our hands with a game to play and we drew 1-1 with Palencia despite absolutely dominating them. We even missed a penalty. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

We have U.D. Merida (4th in B4) in the first playoff round. Not entirely sure how they work though :confused:

Good luck in the playoffs iacovone

Anderlecht 0-1 Elgin

Table as it stands after 5 games, numbers in brackets is Goal Difff

Benfica 9 (+2)

Elgin 8 (+1)

Anderlecht 5 (-1)

Inter 3 (-2)

So its all to play for against Benfica, and at worst we get 3rd and Europa Cup knockout stages.

Good luck in liga vitalis Uffe! Well done on promotion!

Welcome Jobnik, good luck!

Awesome result Gilbster!

Good luck iacovone! Great job getting 2nd! You will be entered into the Second Phase Playoff I think, and then you have to play 3 rounds. 12 teams play in the first round and 6 move on to the 2nd. Here 2 of the 1st placed teams that lost their big playoff will enter making it 8 teams. 4 will go to the two finals and 2 of these will be promoted.

Question. Say I buy two players and they have already played a game in the EURO Cup qualifiers (early rounds). I already found out I can't register them for my 4th round qualifier :( But will it be possible to register them for the group stages if I get that far? Really mad at myself now, I didn't think to check if they had played qualifiers :(

Well done Gilbster, shocking that Inter are so poor in the group.

As for my Elgin team we're now venturing into the big bad world of the SPL. Won 1, Drew 1 and Lost 1 so far. So quite pleased, if we can make Mossat Park (ground sharing with Forres) into a small fortress then I will be happy. Taken screenshots of my first eleven to share with you all. Nothing special but have a couple of decent players there.

GK Adema - Young dutch national, great physical stats, but can improve elsewhere, probably to be replaced next season.

DR Thomson - Only Scottish player in my squad, shocking fact but the foreigners are better and cheaper.

DL Perraga - The first of the Spanish inquest. Joined from Granada two seasons ago and has taken LB for himself.

DC Shimmin - Played in the heart of defence for 2 seasons now and has done well, won't improve so will look to replace next season.

DC Leconte - Only French player in the squad. Released by Nice, scouts raved about him. Took over at CB in his second season.

DM Palsson - Icelandic DM/MC released by Liverpool. No great pace but doesn't need it when he's sitting in front of the back two.

MR Carril - Second Spanish national, prefers AMC but I don't use one. Has done well but may be replaced next season.

ML Trecarichi - We all know this Argie. Former Sevilla player has excelled like I thought he would but does the job.

MC Van der Post - Another Dutchman, continually improving, plays the box to box role well. Constantly wanted.

ST Tchite - New signing, good all round stats for my team, Released by Racing, after playing 9 games in the last 4 seasons.

ST Smarason - Looked to sign him last season, but rejected. Came this season though, released by Heerenveen.

Like I said not a strong team but we've got that blend of youth and experience. Depending on finances, (whether the new board want to give me some money or not) I will replace a majority of the squad for better models. Only time will tell.

Archived