Are you bored of the 35 yard screamers into the net?

I've been playing the game for a few weeks and this is totally boring now. I've just conceded 3 'goals of the season' in one game. Seriously, watching the same goals over and over again is depressing.

I havent had them all that often. If you are getting several a game then obviously something is wrong tactically. Have a look in the tactics forum for posts by wwfan and they should help you with fm2009 tactics which are a bit different to previous games.

I haven't had any 30 yard screamers yet, so i'd have to say, no i'm not bored of them.

It's probably my tactics. Using 3 CD's cuts out penalty box shots so I think the AI gets round this by shooting from distance. Looks like I need a DM. However three screamers in one match, and a large portion of goals conceded overall, like this just makes me angry.

I can't say I've had an absurd amount of long-range goals, although out of the ones I have had the scorers have been a bit suspect. I've had the likes of John O'Pie and Wes Clown score them... However one thing that has been reported a lot, and I am extremely bored of, is the actual amount of long shot attempts. I expect it to be toned down a lot in the next patch, although hopefully not to the extent where they become as rare as a lunar eclipse

I get quite a few. There are, IMO, too many long range shots that fly into the net (often from players with VERY poor shooting/long range shots). Because they happen too frequently it kind of takes away the 'wow' effect for you know you'll see another soon... :(

I noticed that the first few games. Switched up the tactics and finally used the opponent instructions in greater detail (after largely ignoring them in FM07 and 08). Ended up going w/ tight marking,hard tackling and onto weaker foot for the central midfielders where most of the long shots come from. In some cases depending on the midfielder (i.e. Gerrard) closing down is also necessary. The key is likely tight marking b/c if not I found my defense ends up just let them get the space to shoot way too often.

In my games the opposition is more likely to score from outside the box than in the box. It's a bit ridiculous but it's not quite that annoying for me yet, I haven't seen someone with 7 in long shot score a hat-trick of screamers yet.

I would be annoyed by the 30 yard screamers but as i'm playing Liverpool and most of happen for me by Gerrard i'm not worried by itl

The only annoying on was from Manchester United (Darren Fletcher) after 3 minutes when we were at home. I didn't worry too much as we beat them 5-1 in the end.

I can't say i've noticed a large number of them really. Or atleast no more than i would actually expect to see anyway.

Neil

It really is your tactics!!!!

You're giving the opposition too much time and space to shoot. You need a DM enforcer, you need to close down more, and you should possibly tight-mark anyone with a particularly high long shot attribute.

I don't think I've conceded a single one in over 20 games; I've scored a few though.

I used to suffer from them rediculously, but I've managed to sort it out within reason, and now Keirrison often scores them himself (has over 80 goals this season circa 60 of which are from over 30 yards lol) it is a bit of a flaw but I got so fed up of being victim of it I've decided to exploit it.

Apart from closing them down, get a good keeper. The 3D animation isn't that clever - it either flies in top corner, goes straight down the middle to the keeper, or the keeper dives and touches it away. If your keeper is rubbish, as mine was, it'll look like the shots are all inch perfect but a better keeper might have resulted in it going down the middle. Odd, I know, but those are the limitations.

Apart from closing them down, get a good keeper. The 3D animation isn't that clever - it either flies in top corner, goes straight down the middle to the keeper, or the keeper dives and touches it away. If your keeper is rubbish, as mine was, it'll look like the shots are all inch perfect but a better keeper might have resulted in it going down the middle. Odd, I know, but those are the limitations.

Yes, there are a number of animations that look as if something is (or isn't) happening, especially with GKs. The technology isn't perfect yet, and people need to understand how it works.

In Pro Evo and Fifa etc your control dictates what the movement on the screen looks like, and that movement dictates the outcome of the next move; on FM, the outcome is calculated based on a set of circumstances, eg, heading, jumping, anticipation, vs the flight of the ball and the competing player's ability, then translates that into graphics that you see on screen. Just because your keeper is standing still or just appears to fall over, this isn't necessarily what the match engine calculated - it's just how the graphics translated that calculation.

I remember in 08 the ball could sit out the back of the net but it would still be a goal.

In FM09 it seems only the best keepers jump all over the place making saves.

You need to use the opposition instructions.

Always put the opposition strikers onto the weaker foot and close them down, and go in hard on the CMs and also always close them down.

Depending on the quality of the winger, I put them onto show onto weaker foot and go in hard. If the winger is ronaldo etc, I will put my right midfielder to man mark him aswell as my right back and put him as always close down.

I have moaned about it, but as soon as I started doing this they became much less regular, I think only Lampard has scored a long ranger against me in about 10 matches.

Have to say, I thought initially there were too many long shots, both on- and off-target. I then decided to watch as much live footie and highlights as possible over a couple of weekends, noting the long shots that occurred. I was quite surprised to find that RL results correlated quite closely with my game. That said, my watching was based on Prem, SPL, Championship, Bundesliga, and La Liga. My game is with Montrose in Scottish 3rd Division. It seems odd that Jimmy McClogger can hammer the ball so often from 25 yards or more, but then I guess the keepers aren't exactly your Buffons or van der Sars of the world - and most of them are Scottish! ;-)

The thing that would bug me more is if the events were out of keeping with the overall play of a particular game. Only once have I seen a player score a screamer out of nowhere, while my mid just stood off and watched. All the others have been pretty much in context - desperate teams laying long shots down because they can't play through or wide, either through lack of pace, height, or just because my defence is having a particularly good game.

Have to say as well I didn't have the 'keeper assists' thing going until recently. He now has two out of about 20 matches, but one was class. I was gobsmacked. Keeper took a free kick halfway in my own half, my striker not only killed the ball first time, but did what looked like a Cruyff turn to beat the defender, and then chipped the keeper from 20 yards. It's worth saying that it was the only time I've seen anything like it so far in the game. I also have to say it's not entirely unrealistic: I've done something similar myself, and I was just your average Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning bloke playing on the local swamp masquerading as a playing field, so it can happen. Occasionally.

PGB SPURS,trust me the DM myth doesnt work for this,I always play with a DM,I always have and I am still getting these 40 yard and 30 yard goals against me.I have also had all the stirkers getting closed down/weaker foot,also Midfielders weaker foot,none of it works the problem is in the ME and not "its your tactics"

I'm pretty sure it is your tactics.

For the first time ever, I'm using a copied tactic from here, and it's working brilliantly and seems to have cut out the long range goals - that + the opposition instructions anyway. You have tochange the instructions as soon as a sub comes on aswell.

I went from conceeding about 2 every game, to nearly zero unless it's a gerrard/lampard type player.

Yeah. You have to look at opposing players, their stats, and PPMs more and plan accordingly. If, for example, you play with a DMC, what is his marking set to, what about mentality and creative freedom? If your research has shown that their MC gets forward and has been hitting a lot of shots, do you task your DMC to man-mark him specifically, as well as set instructions for showing him onto his weaker foot, etc? Do you even know which the guy's weaker foot is?

You have to do all that...and then accept that he may still get one shot away that flies into the top corner. It happens.

I'm pretty sure it is your tactics.

For the first time ever, I'm using a copied tactic from here, and it's working brilliantly and seems to have cut out the long range goals - that + the opposition instructions anyway. You have tochange the instructions as soon as a sub comes on aswell.

I went from conceeding about 2 every game, to nearly zero unless it's a gerrard/lampard type player.

With the greatest respect a team's tactics don't explain why players with long shots skills of under 10 are banging in 30 yard shots. Surely the ME must calculate the chances of someone with low long shots scoring from distance against a keeper. Either the ME isn't calculating the shooting players chances properly, or not calculating the keeper's chance at saving it properly.

Either way something isn't right.

It's not just how often long shots are scored but who scores them.

Whether or not you close the player down 35 yards from your own goal has got very little to do with it.

Of course it does.

If you give a player the time and space to get a shot off, you shouldn't be surprised if it goes in.

You'll notice a lot of the time, the player is 35 yards from goal but unopposed and has all the space in the world.

Now, think about that. Do opposition teams let that happen with your players?

You have to close them down/go in hard and put them onto the weaker foot.

Archived