Rags To Riches - Players you can buy cheap and sell for more.

SWalton

This is a thread for people to share there stories about players who they've paid pennies for and have become multi-million pound stars. Whether its a unknown youngster or a burntout star making a glorious comeback.

Please don't submit stories about obvious players, like buying Vela for 10m and him becomming 30m, or the more famous wonderkids eg. Bojan, Sadkho.

Here are 3 of mine from my crystal palace game. Please add your own.

Ariza Makukula:

Bought from benefica for 200k. His stats would suggest that he isnt that prolific but trust me he is.

39 goals in 46 games in the championship put his value up from £200,000 to £7 Million.

In my next season in the Prem he manged 16 in 25 but was injured for the last two months of the season. Although i finished 12th, good for my first season in the prem. Putting his value to £6.5 million.

Start of the third season he was 30 and although his natural fitness was high and he showed no sign of his stats decreasing a £8.5 mil offer from everton was too good and he left.

Aruna Dindane:

Valued at 1.7m i was surprised when i bought him for 2m fron Lens in my 2nd season. A panic buy on the last day as i needed another striker, and only expected him to provide cover and chip a few in, But he exceeded my expectations matching the previously mentioned Makukula then when he got injured Dindane stepped up to the plate and got 23 in 40 being that seasons top scorer and doubling his value from 2 to 4m.

Lubos Kalouda

Although he is more well known, i think this accomplishment is more a team like Palace buying him. 2.8 mil in the 2nd season predicted finish 19th i was surprised and excited at his agreement to join from cska. In the first few games he took the first team place from my current RM. He finished the season with a few goals and a ton of assists and his value going to £8 million with Chelsea, Liverpool, Juventus, Villa and Everton all chasing him. But astoundingly he didn't become unsettled and signed a new contract for 5 years and even said on the news ticker that he had no intention of leaving. Result.

There are mine, please add yours!

This is a thread for people to share there stories about players who they've paid pennies for and have become multi-million pound stars. Whether its a unknown youngster or a burntout star making a glorious comeback.

Please don't submit stories about obvious players, like buying Vela for 10m and him becomming 30m, or the more famous wonderkids eg. Bojan, Sadkho.

Ariza Makukula:

Bought from benefica for 200k. His stats would suggest that he isnt that prolific but trust me he is.

39 goals in 46 games in the championship put his value up from £200,000 to £7 Million.

In my next season in the Prem he manged 16 in 25 but was injured for the last two months of the season. Although i finished 12th, good for my first season in the prem. Putting his value to £6.5 million.

Start of the third season he was 30 and although his natural fitness was high and he showed no sign of his stats decreasing a £8.5 mil offer from everton was too good and he left.

Aruna Dindane:

Valued at 1.7m i was surprised when i bought him for 2m fron Lens in my 2nd season. A panic buy on the last day as i needed another striker, and only expected him to provide cover and chip a few in, But he exceeded my expectations matching the previously mentioned Makukula then when he got injured Dindane stepped up to the plate and got 23 in 40 being that seasons top scorer and doubling his value from 2 to 4m.

Lubos Kalouda

Although he is more well known, i think this accomplishment is more a team like Palace buying him. 2.8 mil in the 2nd season predicted finish 19th i was surprised and excited at his agreement to join from cska. In the first few games he took the first team place from my current RM. He finished the season with a few goals and a ton of assists and his value going to £8 million with Chelsea, Liverpool, Juventus, Villa and Everton all chasing him. But astoundingly he didn't become unsettled and signed a new contract for 5 years and even said on the news ticker that he had no intention of leaving. Result.

Robert Lewandowski

Bought him for 900k then in my 3rd season his value rised to £4.7M and then i offloaded him to AC Milan for £12.5

Alejandro Cobo:he is a regen but i got him on a free from Barcelona to AC Milan and he is now worth £36.5 Million. I had to check out how good he really was so downloaded a scout program to find his CA had got to 198 and his PA was 199!!

He always scores between 25 and 35 goals in the league and 10 or so in cups. he's mental lol. Profile says he's a world class striker.

Acaymo Cano: also a regen also a striker worth £35.5 Million. I did pay £6 million for this guy but he has also become world class striker and scores 20+ a season. checked his CA and it's now 185 and PA is 187.

Both play well together and both are spanish. most of the world class regens in my game are spanish lol

Javier Acuna

Bought for Crewe in league one for a massive 12k the guy has awesome physical stats but lacks a bit in technical attributes. He went on to score around 70 goals over the next 2 seasons and fire us into the premier league. Then he refused a new contract and though he was bigger than the club so was shipped out for £6 million to Everton where he did absolutely nothing season after season.

Miguel Cevasco

Another forum favourite for lower teams he might be but the guy is just class. Bought to Crewe in the first season for 200k and 6 seasons later is one of the key members of the squad playing brilliantly as a holding midfielder, never spectacular but always reliable and solid in hte middle of the park bangs a few vital goals in and his value is up to £5.5 million.

Hugo

A good young Brazilian CB who plays for Desportivo Brasil bought for Crewe for a fee of 20k. He started to develope really well and was solid on over my head for £2.5 million which is a great profit.

Lubos Kalouda, when I'm not playing as Man Utd, is my alternative to Cristiano Ronaldo. He's never failed to perform for me as a right winger.

His pace and acceleration is better in 09 than 08, but some of his technical abilities have dropped. No doubt though, they'll grow with the right training.

Javier Acuna

Bought for Crewe in league one for a massive 12k the guy has awesome physical stats but lacks a bit in technical attributes. He went on to score around 70 goals over the next 2 seasons and fire us into the premier league. Then he refused a new contract and though he was bigger than the club so was shipped out for £6 million to Everton where he did absolutely nothing season after season.

Miguel Cevasco

Another forum favourite for lower teams he might be but the guy is just class. Bought to Crewe in the first season for 200k and 6 seasons later is one of the key members of the squad playing brilliantly as a holding midfielder, never spectacular but always reliable and solid in hte middle of the park bangs a few vital goals in and his value is up to £5.5 million.

Hugo

A good young Brazilian CB who plays for Desportivo Brasil bought for Crewe for a fee of 20k. He started to develope really well and was solid on over my head for £2.5 million which is a great profit.

Got to agree with you about Javier Acuna, when i got crewe to the prem i also sold him for £6mill, went to real madrid on mine thought and his career just died. Also gonna have to say the boy wonder, who we all know, and may or may not exist, the one, the only, Mascio (good intro there;)) bought him for around £15k and in season 3 i was getting bids of around £20mill for him. Another nice bit of business was Daniel Niculie on a free, sold him on a season later for just under £5mill:)

sercan yildrim - bought him for 1million in my first season with man city towards end of season robinho got injured and i had no one else to play upfront so plonked him in there .... 11 in 13 games wit ha goal and assist against chelsea! value went up to 11.5 since then and is showing no signs of stoping!

Ariza Makukula:

Aruna Dindane:

Lubos Kalouda

A Bit off topic , just wanted to say

nice idea for a thread , to bad i didnt think of it myself!

At the start of my Lyon save I bought Alberto Paloschi for £1m from AC Milan.

Less than 4 years later he had become World Class and I sold him to Man Utd for £45m. I didn't want to sell him but Man U had unsettled him and he wanted to move.

• 2 months later...

Zuculini - Bought for 250k for Napoli and ended up after half a season (he joined in Janurary) having AC Milan and others offering to co-own him for 5million. I rejected though.

Lewandoski - Bought him for about 1million for Napoli and after 1 season I had one of the big 4 Italian teams (cant remember which 1) offer for him, so I asked for 20m because I didn't want to sell him. I was shocked when they then accepted it. It was toogood to refuse so I accepted, however he rejected them and stayed.

Srna - Paid 15m for him at the start of the game with Liverpool, then in the 1st Janurary window Real Madrid offered 30m for him. Doubled my money in just a few months.

Celso Borges - Bought him for under 1million for QPR and after 1 season Man City offered 7million for him. I then checked him a few seasons later and his current value was 20million.

Santon - Bought him for Liverpool from Inter for 2million. Then had Inter offering to buy him back for 10million at the end of the season.

At the start of my Lyon save I bought Alberto Paloschi for £1m from AC Milan.

Less than 4 years later he had become World Class and I sold him to Man Utd for £45m. I didn't want to sell him but Man U had unsettled him and he wanted to move.

He's the best striker in the world on my game.

I bought a Spanish CD newgen for £12.75m from Espanyol and after winning fans player of the year, he moved to Man City for £46.5m.

• 4 weeks later...

Which players have you sold very expensively in the first or second transfer window?

I'd like to know, as I am searching for a team to manage who can sell a player or two for massive sums.

I sold Gökhan Inler to Man City for £40m in the first transfer window.

Slothuus

Going to move this into this thread, as both serve the same purpose.

To answer your question, it can vary so much on each save. Teams who you can sell players for huge sums, Aston Villa (Barry for example), Fiorentina (Mutu can be sold for £30-odd million), Udinese can usually shift some players for some fairly large sums. Lyon can sell Toulalan for 25-30Million if not more (why you would sell Toulalan is another question though.)

Going to vary on each save though.

Tore Reginiussen .He plays for Norway and starts at a local team there ( Tromso I think). You can get him for 500-700k and sell him after a season for more then 8-9 m.

I got him for 700k(PSG) at the start of the season and sold him for 10 m upfront to Napoli at the end of the season. Beside this, he's good also :)

Another amazing tranfer that hapenned in my save. Atletico got Brighi from Roma for 2.9m and sold him after at the end of the season for 34m.

Load Brazilian players and have a look at Felipe Mattioni. On loan at AC Milan in the first season, often Milan do not exercise the option to buy and he returns to Maga an obscure Brazilian team. He can be purchased for £10k and with an Italian passport there are no w/p issues. Ideal for Championship and below (he even came to BSN in one of my saves). In my current Luton save he is rated by the 7* defence coach as a "leading Championship player" and is now worth £2.2M. So you can keep him and he'll do a great job or you can sell him on after a season for a serious profit.

Bought Nelson Rivas for Auxerre on the last day of the first season transfer window for about £875k, took that long for him to be able to pass a medical. Now he is a 6 star defender and I have set a £8.5 m asking price for him and a lot of clubs are interested.

Also try to Eduardo Costa. Bought him for about £475 k, quality stats for a DM, and after a season his value is £2 m.

One more, Loic Nestor from Le Havre. Bought him for £2.5 m second season, and he had one spurt of great improvement in his stats. In January, Bordeaux came and offered me £7.5 m, which I reluctantly accepted. The summer after Bordeaux sold him to Chelsea for £13.5 m. Very Strange I know, but a top player.

I'm surprised nobody has said Opare, well, my firefox CTRL + F seems to think not.

Anyway, 100k from Real Madrid, he's now one of the best right backs in the world and re-sold him for 12.25mil (before he became really good as i was managing a lower league team and he wouldn't stay).

Gotta put in a plug for Federico Laurito at Udinese. Bought him for 2.6m at start of second season (would probably be even cheaper at start of game), now 2 years later worth 15 million, could probably sell him for more. Great striker, with high determination and high penalty kicks!

first season :

gago(madrid) - 6.25m - above 21mil(Villa)

A. Russotto(Bellinzona) - free - 9.5mil

M. M'bami(Marseille) - free - 4 mil

Civelli(marseille) - free - 2.5mil

Josh Walker(M'brough)- free - 3mil(Celtic)

B. Jankovic - free - above 10 mil

R. Faty(roma)- 2.5 mil - never sold

T. Motta - free - 3mil

Pogrebnyak(dec. 2009 free) - 10 mil

Keirrison free

K. das Neves(free) - 3 mil

kameni(Espanyol) free - 3mil

Mounier(lyon)- free - 4mil

kroos(Bayern)- 6-8mil - a lot for selling

Balotelli ussualy dislikes Mourinho(after a season)

N Sahin(BvB)- free - sold for 10 mil

Falcao(River)- free

Nimani(Monaco) - free

just to name a few

If you want to get a player for free and he is interested to join you offer him a bigger contract then his club does, then reject; after a while if you don't have competition sign him for free and with less wage; yes i know that's cheating. They are overpaid anyway.

Mota from Seongnam (sp?) in south korea, bought him for 1.5m and he didn't play especially often because he never played too well in my formation but still managed to sell him on for 7.5m the next summer.

Davide Santon from Inter if you get him first season as well, £900k but he turns out to be a world-class winger so you can either keep him or let him go eventually for a top price.

Hélder Barbosa from Porto - £200k~

If you take your time letting him develop (and he usually becomes a great player) you can easily make several millions off him, depends just how greedy you are :)

Also Maor Bozaglo (holds a French passport) from M. Tel-Aviv - Man City bought him for £900k, but I think you can buy him for cheaper, in the future he can be worth up to £20m, he goes around the big clubs (currently in Chelsea on my game). Never bought him myself though, so I wouldn't know if he's any good.

• 2 weeks later...

as someone said earlier sergio krivets i got in the first season for 375,000 the sold at the end of the season for 10 million

on the same game i bought witsel for 4.5 then sold to man city for 25 million (not to sure if that was a good deal or not) as he was turning into a qaulity player although with the money i bought dzagoev for 15 million.

• 5 weeks later...
first season :

gago(madrid) - 6.25m - above 21mil(Villa)

A. Russotto(Bellinzona) - free - 9.5mil

M. M'bami(Marseille) - free - 4 mil

Civelli(marseille) - free - 2.5mil

Josh Walker(M'brough)- free - 3mil(Celtic)

B. Jankovic - free - above 10 mil

R. Faty(roma)- 2.5 mil - never sold

T. Motta - free - 3mil

Pogrebnyak(dec. 2009 free) - 10 mil

Keirrison free

K. das Neves(free) - 3 mil

kameni(Espanyol) free - 3mil

Mounier(lyon)- free - 4mil

kroos(Bayern)- 6-8mil - a lot for selling

Balotelli ussualy dislikes Mourinho(after a season)

N Sahin(BvB)- free - sold for 10 mil

Falcao(River)- free

Nimani(Monaco) - free

just to name a few

If you want to get a player for free and he is interested to join you offer him a bigger contract then his club does, then reject; after a while if you don't have competition sign him for free and with less wage; yes i know that's cheating. They are overpaid anyway.

Yeah i've had Mounier on a free a few times ok for mid table clubs. And then some other mid table club always pays twice his worth for him.

Bought Armenian international Eghishe Melikyan for £9k from Banants, sold to Dinamo Minsk for £500k in next transfer window then re-signed him for £80k in the next window.

Signed Denys Vasin on a free from Chonomorets sold for £500k in next window.

• 2 weeks later...

on my celtic save i signed Jeremy Mathieu in the first transfer window for about £1.5M or £2.5M and when I left at the end of the season the new manager (Martin O'Neill) sold him for £32.5M to R.Madrid, he also sold Brown to Man U for £18.5M and McGeady to Barce for £43.5M. Too bad I left before the money came in :(

I always try buy lassina diarra at the start of my game, i signed him for 12m for the gunners, and sold him on after 3 years for 31m to barca, i cant see past him tbh. Must say though, good topic, already studying some of these finds, well done!!!

altidore from villareal. bought him for 5million for aston villa in my 1st season then sold him couple seasons later to real madrid for 33mil. quality striker who always scores important goals

Archived