Leicester Icons/Legends in FM 17

I'm still playing the first version of this years game and Leicester are hilariously terrible. Got that one SPECTACULARLY wrong, boys! And they pride themselves on accuracy!

They can't see into the future. And Leicester are also a product of being more than the sum of their parts. Bit of a silly point to make really.

I'm still playing the first version of this years game and Leicester are hilariously terrible. Got that one SPECTACULARLY wrong, boys! And they pride themselves on accuracy!

Yeah you're right, they should have definitely have been rated as league winners.

Who'd have thought that, a team predicted by everybody in football to be fighting against relegation this season is rated as such in the game.

Shock horror...

It's almost as if they were 5000/1 to win the league or something?! :D

You pride yourselves on realism and accuracy. Make jokes all you like, but you should be genuinely embarrassed.

You pride yourselves on realism and accuracy. Make jokes all you like, but you should be genuinely embarrassed.

Not sure where I made a joke. They were quite literally 5000-1 to win the league.

The majority of their players have been around for years and have never been in or around title winning sides so they'll have been in FM as such. You can't always account for players such as Mahrez/Vardy/Kante having the season they've had which is why football is such a universally loved sport. The day we can accurately predict who'll win the league season after season is a day I don't want to see.

Whilst I doubt Leicester won the title in many (any?) FM games - they are *far* from terrible in FM. I've got six saves started in the beta and with patch 1, Leicester didn't get relegated in any of them and finished top half in 4 of them (11 and 12 the other two). The highest finish I've seen in my saves is I think 5th, and the highest in my older saves in season 1 is 7th.

Leicester winning the title is absolutely *bonkers* if it happened in FM, people would've complained that it was unrealistic :).

EDIT: Checking through all my saves now, so far the lowest finish for Leicester is 17th and I haven't found them higher than 7th, but still plenty of saves to check :).

Not sure where I made a joke. They were quite literally 5000-1 to win the league.

The majority of their players have been around for years and have never been in or around title winning sides so they'll have been in FM as such. You can't always account for players such as Mahrez/Vardy/Kante having the season they've had which is why football is such a universally loved sport. The day we can accurately predict who'll win the league season after season is a day I don't want to see.

Which is why football in Scotland is so boring most of the time. Celtic or Rangers (apart from recent years obviously). Sometimes Aberdeen make a go of it. Italy has been bad for it as well with Juve walking it. Same with France (since PSG got their investment) and Germany most years. Spain is getting slightly better for it with Atletico starting to challenge but it's still not massively exciting.

This is why English football is so good. And why SI can only do so much. As an Orient fan, I always do a save with them and on paper we were easily one of the strongest teams in League 2 this year. I won the title with games to spare on FM yet we're going to finish outside the playoffs while Northampton (who were nearly relegated last year and nearly went out of business this year) won the title at a canter. They were predicted mid-table AT BEST and rightly so. AFC Wimbledon are right up there pushing for the playoffs. Accrington (tiny budget and playing squad) and Bristol Rovers (newly promoted) are pushing for automatic promotion. On the game though, Northampton, Accrington and Bristol Rovers all got relegated in the first three years of my save and honestly I can't fault that because on paper there was a high chance of that happening. If it was so obvious to predict the winners and losers then we'd all be making lots of money.

Which is why football in Scotland is so boring most of the time.

You do know there are other things to decide other than who wins the league? Try looking beyond the two cheeks, and you might find something a bit better.

This is why English football is so good.

Because once, one team won when they shouldn't have. It doesn't change the fact that in terms of title winners - which you seem to base your levels of excitement on - there have been only six different champions since 1992 (out of 48 clubs involved). In the same period, 2 out of 21 clubs won the Scottish Premier League/Premiership/Justice League. Not that much different really.

Are you sure you're not Martin Tyler? Just because Sky tell you it's the best league in the World doesn't mean there isn't a whole load of dross in there too.

This is a great question. Vardy and Ranieri would have to be Legends for me.

Have Leicester been challenging for the title on people's saves since the update? It's scary that their players could need to be upgraded again for FM17!

Also, will the Natural Fitness attribute have to be renamed??

If you go to a foxes forum you will notice that most of the current starting eleven is also the all time eleven but for the goalkeeper really and okazaki.

Surely Vardy would line-up alongside Lineker?

You do know there are other things to decide other than who wins the league? Try looking beyond the two cheeks, and you might find something a bit better.

Because once, one team won when they shouldn't have. It doesn't change the fact that in terms of title winners - which you seem to base your levels of excitement on - there have been only six different champions since 1992 (out of 48 clubs involved). In the same period, 2 out of 21 clubs won the Scottish Premier League/Premiership/Justice League. Not that much different really.

Are you sure you're not Martin Tyler? Just because Sky tell you it's the best league in the World doesn't mean there isn't a whole load of dross in there too.

In reference to Scottish football, I am predominantly talking about the SPL. It does get rather boring when Celtic win the title year on year.

With regards to English football, if you read almost the entirety of my post you'll see that I'm talking about English football in general and not just the PL. For me, the whole structure of English football and the thrills and spills it throws up are second to none across the world. Look at the Championship this year... Who would've predicted that last years relegation candidates Brighton would be challenging for automatic promotion? How many leagues go down to the last game with a winner takes all situation? League 1 still isn't decided. Neither is League 2.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that it's not just the title race that is exciting but also the race for the top 4 and the relegation battle. How many countries can you name where teams as big as Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford, Nottingham Forest and now Villa get relegated. And not just to the second tier... Bradford went all the way down to the fourth tier.

In reference to Scottish football, I am predominantly talking about the SPL. It does get rather boring when Celtic win the title year on year.

With regards to English football, if you read almost the entirety of my post you'll see that I'm talking about English football in general and not just the PL. For me, the whole structure of English football and the thrills and spills it throws up are second to none across the world. Look at the Championship this year... Who would've predicted that last years relegation candidates Brighton would be challenging for automatic promotion? How many leagues go down to the last game with a winner takes all situation? League 1 still isn't decided. Neither is League 2.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that it's not just the title race that is exciting but also the race for the top 4 and the relegation battle. How many countries can you name where teams as big as Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford, Nottingham Forest and now Villa get relegated. And not just to the second tier... Bradford went all the way down to the fourth tier.

So England is exciting across the board, but Celtic win the league every year in Scotland, therefore it's boring? Not really a fair comparison is it? Again, look outwith the two cheeks, and there's far more on offer. The playoffs now mean that over half the teams in every lower division in Scotland will be either promoted, relegated, or be involved in a playoff for either.

And with your edit..."big" is relative - for the past four seasons, arguably the second biggest side in the country has been outwith the top flight (through their own actions, but nevertheless). The season before last, three of arguably the biggest five sides were in the second tier. Last season, two of them. Next season we'll have one of the other from the theoretical top 6 in the second tier.

Again, just because Sky trumpets their product doesn't make it the greatest. It's the best marketed, it's the richest, but your post just reads like Sky blurb. Which means they've done their job I guess.

What an utter berk. If, when FM had come out, my game had spewed up Leicester as title winning in the first season, I would have called it a rip off. Similarly, if they had written this as a film before it became "based on a true story" (hitting all major cinemas 2018, folks), it would have been a totally unrealistic film. To suggest that FM should have had Leicester as being potential champions is simply absurd.

Mahrez is very good in the game. Vardy is decent. Kante probably underrated slightly but then he was in real life too! No-one else in that team is anywhere near title winning quality themselves - and that is kinda the point of this whole story. It's about a team coming together thanks to great team spirit, a fantastic manager who had a lot to prove, and fair winds carrying them to the most ridiculous title win in history - given the changes in finances, Forest/Blackburn etc don't even come close. This team SHOULD have been bottom half at best: even the top pundits mostly had them as third or fourth favourites to get relegated (I think I heard that 70% of sports writers thought they'd be bottom 3 after Ranieri was appointed, he was definitely massive favourite to be the first sacking). They had a stellar - no, totally unbelievable - season that is never to be repeated in my lifetime. If FM17 has West Brom or Swansea coded in as title contenders in the first season, I shall return my copy to the shop. And that won't change if it happens (it won't, even with the £100m-odd that those teams will have to spend) - because that's football. If it happens in one save in every 5,000 that's fine - because that's about how likely it was that Leicester would do what they have done. In 5,000 games of FM17, I would expect (and quibble about precise numbers - that would be something for the researchers and developers to tweak--- but as a guide) the first league title to go to:

Man City 1,600 times

Chelsea 1,200 times

Arsenal 600 times (more if Wenger leaves before the game is released)

Man Utd 600 times (more if LvG leaves before the game is released)

Tottenham 500 times

Liverpool 400 times

...and the rest about 100 times between them.

And by the way, whilst the money next year will keep things interesting, and there will probably be one team that "does a Leicester" to some extent (i.e. gatecrashes the top 4, not title winners), I fully expect Leicester to be mid-table next year. Probably higher mid-table, but I would be very surprised if they were even in contention for the top 4. And Ranieri knows that it is unrealistic to expect it. There's bound to be some joker who comes onto a football phone-in early next season though with Leicester in average form, mid-table, calling for Ranieri's head. Put it this way, if there's ever going to be a team to do what Chelsea threatened to do briefly this year and get relegated a year after winning the title, it will happen in 2017. It won't happen, but if it is ever going to, this is the time for it.

Finally, Leicester are currently significantly shorter odds for relegation in 2017 than to retain their title. And this is quite right. I'd be astounded if either happened but they are far FAR more likely to go down than to win the title again....

Archived