Coaching reputation at start of career

Curious as to what the majority of players set as your reputation when starting a new career. I always see people choosing the very best level with 20 attributes for most areas of coaching for all games.

I prefer to start at lowest possible and progress by doing coaching courses regardless of what club I choose. I feel this lets me progress my skills whilst gaining the players trusts gradually. It also offers much more of a challenge in the early stages, getting the players to trust my ideology and tactics whilst having terrible stats and reputation.

Just started as Liverpool on lowest possible. (It's tough but well worth the effort when you become a top manager who has worked from the bottom up)

Curious as to how you guys go about this subject?

Please discuss :)

I start unemployed with all coaching badges but semi professional. So will usually get a job at a lower division and hopefully work my way up. I'm not good enough at the game to start with no badges

Very realistic way of going about the game though you have there. Must be a big sense of pride when you achieve good goals and results?

I always start unemployed sunday league manager with no badges, have to wait till about oct/nov to get a job in the lowest league but get to try different teams and you really get a sense of pride when youe worked your way up to getting a top job and winning the CL

I typically pick the recommended for the club I'm managing, but tone it down based on what I actually want

so for this save - I'm top rated coaching badges, and a semi-pro

but have whacked it all into mentals, and have maxed out the bottom 3 (can't remember what they are off the top of my head)

I try to keep it as realistic as possible. Meaning I have no coaching badges and have no experience playing Football so I'll always start off on the lowest unless I'm doing a short-term save. :D

It's a great feeling of accomplishment to work your way up through the ladder. I play realistic journeyman games mainly, meaning I have no set rules except career progression. If I manage one club, great. If I manage ten, also great. The end goal is greatest manager of all time.

I use the recommended for club option. I like managing Gillingham but found in recent versions that having no experience or badges was just a nightmare. The players were disinterested during teamtalks and were constantly whinging. Even if I got off to a good start one defeat would destroy everything.

Curious as to what the majority of players set as your reputation when starting a new career. I always see people choosing the very best level with 20 attributes for most areas of coaching for all games.

I prefer to start at lowest possible and progress by doing coaching courses regardless of what club I choose. I feel this lets me progress my skills whilst gaining the players trusts gradually. It also offers much more of a challenge in the early stages, getting the players to trust my ideology and tactics whilst having terrible stats and reputation.

Just started as Liverpool on lowest possible. (It's tough but well worth the effort when you become a top manager who has worked from the bottom up)

Curious as to how you guys go about this subject?

Please discuss :)

Start with top possible apart from my career game which will run for ever were i start unemployed with Sunday League footballer. Ive tried starting that as Sheffield Wednesday and even then the players didnt respect me so not sure how people can do that at top flight clubs?

When I do one-club saves, I generally use the settings recommended by the game. Realistic.

When I do journeyman saves, I always start unemployed with Sunday league experience and no badges. Realistic for me as that mirrors my real-life situation, but unrealistic in relation to the game, as no one with such a complete lack of both experience and training would ever get a job in any of the playable leagues... ;)

Start with top possible apart from my career game which will run for ever were i start unemployed with Sunday League footballer. Ive tried starting that as Sheffield Wednesday and even then the players didnt respect me so not sure how people can do that at top flight clubs?

I'm Liverpool on lowest possible and have got off to a great start of 7 unbeaten, so its possible to create a good atmosphere amongst the group. I feel man management is the key, encourage and trust them and they will deliver. Very rewarding, working through your badges and adds a lot of realism to the game for myself.

I'm Liverpool on lowest possible and have got off to a great start of 7 unbeaten, so its possible to create a good atmosphere amongst the group. I feel man management is the key, encourage and trust them and they will deliver. Very rewarding, working through your badges and adds a lot of realism to the game for myself.

Well done then but thats not realistic, Im a Sunday League manager(Div9 to Prem in 10years and we finished 5th in 1st season there and currently 4th in 2nd season in Prem) but id get no respect in League 2 never mind the Premier and thats what i found when trying to manage Wednesday in the Championship on FM15.

I start with Sunday league rep and no coaching badges and unemployed and usually wait until Jan/Feb before taking over at a team unless a Vanerama North team with a decent rep job comes up before that that I have my eye on. My aim this year is to write a story and concentrate all my efforts on 1 journeyman save rather than play about 100 different games on a series

I don't see the point in creating a virtual version of myself in a video game.

If I'm going to pretend to be an orc in world of warcraft, manager in FM or something else, I'm going to aim for the stars.

That said the best manager you can make seems to be off, none of the star players turned manager can have the kind of career you can have in FM.

Got offered Aston Villa, FC Twente and Paderborn (I think some 3rd or 2nd league german team.) when I started unemployed, maybe that was okay, but after winning ED with FC Twente, I got headhunted for Barcelona and Juventus, that seemed totally wrong due to my lack of experience. The game should require at least 2-3 good years, before the top teams should bother with someone.

this year I've started as Sunday league manager and no badges and I have noticed alot of players getting unhappy very quick (I'm managing in Vanarama South), this makes perfect sense, tbh I thought this was a bit odd as I can usually keep my players happy but I usually have some badges and at least semi pro.

Thats a really good aspect that I never really thought that made much difference, except from having good coaching stats etc

Love how in depth this game is (Y)

this year I've started as Sunday league manager and no badges and I have noticed alot of players getting unhappy very quick (I'm managing in Vanarama South), this makes perfect sense, tbh I thought this was a bit odd as I can usually keep my players happy but I usually have some badges and at least semi pro.

Thats a really good aspect that I never really thought that made much difference, except from having good coaching stats etc

Love how in depth this game is (Y)

Your starting reputation is just a difficulty level. Setting everything to the max makes motivating extremely easy.

If I'm going to pretend to be an orc in world of warcraft, manager in FM or something else, I'm going to aim for the stars.

And I'm the complete opposite. Good thing FM allows for both, then... ;)

That said the best manager you can make seems to be off, none of the star players turned manager can have the kind of career you can have in FM.

Got offered Aston Villa, FC Twente and Paderborn (I think some 3rd or 2nd league german team.) when I started unemployed, maybe that was okay, but after winning ED with FC Twente, I got headhunted for Barcelona and Juventus, that seemed totally wrong due to my lack of experience. The game should require at least 2-3 good years, before the top teams should bother with someone.

People play in different ways. It's not impressive when somebody thinks they are great at FM despite starting with all the best stats and at a club like Real Madrid (for example)

The best career I had on FM was starting unemployed, struggling in the first seasons with a conference side. Moved to the lower leagues in Northern Ireland, Germany and then Belgium before being offered a chance back in England. Kept a terrible side in the football league after joining midseason, then over the following seasons turned them in to promotion contenders. After getting them up I had a heartbreaking decision to make when a 'larger' club came in for me early on in the following season. I took the job but felt like I was bailing on the side I'd built and despite the new club having players with better stats I found myself returning in January to sign some of the players who'd served me so well at my former club. In the following seasons I gained promotion and was competing at the top end of the Championship when I became aware that the manager of Nottingham Forest (the club I support) was facing the sack. I declared my interest in the job despite them sitting midtable in League One and was offered the position. The squad was shockingly bad but, again, I returned to my former club to bring in the players I was familiar with and they helped turn things around and get us promoted as champions.

To many that may not be the greatest ever career in FM, but to me it was the most enjoyable. Starting at the bottom, playing LLM-style using the scouts to identify signings rather than just buying the same old players, working my way up and earning the job at the club I support whilst using players and staff who had developed a relationship with me.

Personally I love getting into a good challenge, normally a journeymen or a youth challenge kind of thing. Basically anything that involves not being able to buy all the wonder kids straight away and boring myself, this generally means starting at the bottom of the barrel with no badges or reputation.

I have won the champions league with a 3rd division team from Belgium over several seasons. Started out with the lowest reputation, attempted it 3 times but failed/bored/demotivated.

But when I made it, this became the best FM save since 99/00. Now I want to do the same challenge starting with a level 9 club in England. If that's not aiming for the stars I don't know what is. Pressing continue and winning everything is not fun enough for me.

I have gradually lowered my starting skills and rep. I just got into the series with FM14 and am just learning soccer/football operations and tactics. In FM14 I would play with recommended badges and spend the attribute points but always started with lower level clubs, Like Dag&Red and Clermont Foot. After my lack of success I would take over smaller and smaller clubs until one day things started to click. On FM15, I played 2 journeyman saves starting with a recommended manager in Mexican Promotion League that led to Bari in Serie A. My second was a National C badge manager starting at Braintree Town in that same save in 2041 and ending up at AS St. Etienne in Ligue 1.

I just started a no badges and Sunday Rep Journeyman save in FM15 starting in Iceland. I am enjoying it.

People play in different ways. It's not impressive when somebody thinks they are great at FM despite starting with all the best stats and at a club like Real Madrid (for example)

The best career I had on FM was starting unemployed, struggling in the first seasons with a conference side. Moved to the lower leagues in Northern Ireland, Germany and then Belgium before being offered a chance back in England. Kept a terrible side in the football league after joining midseason, then over the following seasons turned them in to promotion contenders. After getting them up I had a heartbreaking decision to make when a 'larger' club came in for me early on in the following season. I took the job but felt like I was bailing on the side I'd built and despite the new club having players with better stats I found myself returning in January to sign some of the players who'd served me so well at my former club. In the following seasons I gained promotion and was competing at the top end of the Championship when I became aware that the manager of Nottingham Forest (the club I support) was facing the sack. I declared my interest in the job despite them sitting midtable in League One and was offered the position. The squad was shockingly bad but, again, I returned to my former club to bring in the players I was familiar with and they helped turn things around and get us promoted as champions.

To many that may not be the greatest ever career in FM, but to me it was the most enjoyable. Starting at the bottom, playing LLM-style using the scouts to identify signings rather than just buying the same old players, working my way up and earning the job at the club I support whilst using players and staff who had developed a relationship with me.

Great story Matt......must have been a great sense of achievement :)

• 2 months later...

I pick based on which club I'm at to make it feel more realistic. It's unlikely a Sunday League Footballer would be in charge of say my team Hearts, so ex pro is probably a good choice for them. Basically I don't just mirror my own (lack of) football qualifications in the game, I prefer to choose based on the level of the team I'm managing.

I've always played FM as a "role play", so I like to load up 2-3 countries as low as I can realistically get the league structure, call myself a Sunday league-r with either no coaching qualifications or the lowest, start unemployed, holiday until I get an offer or two, and if it seems interesting, I interview for the job. Otherwise, I decline and holiday some more. Aside from my first save ever, when I picked Hibernian as a international footballer, and battled Celtic for a few seasons, I've never started in a "top league" job. Doesn't interest me, doesn't feel realistic.

That's cute. Now you all need is a cookie, warm milk, and a kiss goodnight.

Seriously, though, I agree. I would love to do LLM but so far I'm not even good enough to keep Everton from firing me.

Archived