Fm16 biggest flaw..

Every version of this amazing game comes in and I always somehow expect them to have sorted out what is the most unrealistic element of the whole game. REPUTATION!

You STILL have to wait to win trophies before you get any recognition, and are considered for better jobs. Theres no middle ground either, its either no offer or have your pick of any club on the planet.

Its happened on any save I've ever had. Last save I was Sunderland and had back to back 5th place finishes followed by an FA CUP final day out. In real life if someone took Sunderland in the stop half they would have people crawling all over them.

Im currently Celta Vigo, with a net spend of -£100m over 3 year (generated from player sales) I have finished 6th, 5th and now 3rd (qual for champs league) and still get laughed out of town by any clubs that have vacant position. Strange that someone who is sacked a week before is preferred to someone who has continually performed?? Now I know managers do get sacked and re-employed but 9/10 its too a lesser side. There are a handful of elite that don't.

David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers took two of the BIGGEST jobs in world football without winning a sausage and Pocchetino got the Spurs job after one ok season with Southampton.

Anyway my point is, if I win the Spanish Cup, I am more likely to gain recognition than qualifying for the champs league with an underdog. Now in no reality is that ever actually the case.

Anyway Im sure people must agree!

Partially disagree, I've gone from MLS -> Wigan -> Chelsea before without winning the league title in a previous title of FM. Going from Wigan to Chelsea was after winning the FA Cup, hence why I partially agree, but in the league we came something like 7th so wasn't like we actually overachieved too much. I also had to apply for the Chelsea job and not expect them to come after me.

Its happened on any save I've ever had. Last save I was Sunderland and had back to back 5th place finishes followed by an FA CUP final day out. In real life if someone took Sunderland in the stop half they would have people crawling all over them.

List of managers (not Big 6) recently in an FA Cup final:

Tim Sherwood

Steve Bruce

Tony Pullis

Roberto Martinez (won)

Avram Grant (won)

Dave Jones

David Moyes

Harry Redknapp

Alan Pardew

Dennis Wise

Gordon Strachan

Not too many of them have "people crawling all over them" in real life anyway - I guess Redknapp does, but that's only HMRC. After him ;)

I mean would too many consider these guys candidates for a big 6 job in the UK, let alone outside of it, just because they made it to the final? Moyes, Pardew, Pullis and Bruce have had the occasional decent season as well, but I'm not sure if the Chelsea job became free anyone would seriously consider one of them taking it on.

David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers took two of the BIGGEST jobs in world football without winning a sausage and Pocchetino got the Spurs job after one ok season with Southampton.

And both of them were successful and universally popular? They were taken on despite of their lack of silverware etc. Similar with Pochettino. All three of them were hired because of an identity/brand of football they would bring to the club.

--

So, I partially agree that reputation doesn't seem too fluid. I've not tracked it enough to see if an unemployed manager, or one who wasn't successful at several jobs, would see his reputation fall. Someone a bit like Alan Curbishley, possible England candidate now rumor for the Fulham job.

It wasn't the necessary the FA CUP final thing, but if any of those managers in that list took one of their sides to back to back 5th place finishes over two years in the job they would get media attention at the least. Its deffo flawed, as the same thing happens on my save every game, Ill win a trophy and then get offered to interview for every big job going. Im saying in football nowadays, whether it be a player or manager, if you're consistently performing at a higher level than expected then you are somebodies radar, trust me.

Okay if we look over the last decade instead then, the managers who came 5th they are:

Mauricio Pochettino

Roberto Martínez

André Villas-Boas

Alan Pardew

Harry Redknapp

Roberto Mancini

David Moyes (back-to-back)

Martin Jol (back-to-back)

Only two of them, nearly 10 years ago, achieved 5th two years in a row. I'm not sure what extra media attention that list are receiving vs. what you are in FM16 or what interviews they are getting that you aren't. What big club in Europe is considering Alan Pardew right now?

Is there a rumour Chelsea are tracking this list as to who to replace José Mourinho that I've not seen?

Okay if we look over the last decade instead then, the managers who came 5th they are:

Mauricio Pochettino

Roberto Martínez

André Villas-Boas

Alan Pardew

Harry Redknapp

Roberto Mancini

Only two of them, nearly 10 years ago, achieved 5th two years in a row. I'm not sure what extra media attention that list are receiving vs. what you are in FM16 or what interviews they are getting that you aren't. What big club in Europe is considering Alan Pardew right now?

Is there a rumour Chelsea are tracking this list as to who to replace José Mourinho that I've not seen?

Fine work Sir. I love seeing somebody be put down with a response that is well thought out and includes a number of relevant, real world examples.

Mauricio Pochettino

Roberto Martínez

André Villas-Boas

Alan Pardew

Harry Redknapp

Roberto Mancini

this doesn't really make sense though? Spurs and Everton are clubs who a fifth place finish is considered to be a target before the beginning of the season. The op said he did this with Sunderland who are normal relegation contenders so it would be a huge over achievement for them to finish there. I actually remember when Martinez finished fifth people were touting him as a future Barcelona manager. Then the following season many say he was lucky to stay in a job.

The point being the op has a valid point and a good league position should be considered an achievement and a reputation gain and on FM seemingly its not.

this doesn't really make sense though? Spurs and Everton are clubs who a fifth place finish is considered to be a target before the beginning of the season. The op said he did this with Sunderland who are normal relegation contenders so it would be a huge over achievement for them to finish there. I actually remember when Martinez finished fifth people were touting him as a future Barcelona manager. Then the following season many say he was lucky to stay in a job.

The point being the op has a valid point and a good league position should be considered an achievement and a reputation gain and on FM seemingly its not.

Exactly!

Im not talking about finishing 5th with SPURS! They have huge resources.

In my current save I am Celta Vigo, now if they finish 6th, 5th and 3rd and have a huge negative net spend.....surely that warrants some recognition?????

The frustrating thing is, I have nowhere to go because as a cub commercially Celta don't make huge profits, so we have to sell players, making it harder and harder to compete, Realistically impossible to topple Barca or Madrid. Therefore I would like a new challenge but can't get one.

• Administrators

I've actually logged a feature to do with this - how if you start a big club with a user with a very small reputation, if you succeed at the big club and keep hold of your job, your reputation rises in higher increments every season you remain in the post. It's a difficult balance as essentially you're doing something very unrealistic (taking a massive job when you have a pathetically low reputation) so currently the game has to boost you from the lowest point possible. A couple of seasons over overachievement can't necessarily do that.

Can anyone remember Peter Reid being manager of Sunderland in the mid 90's for 7 years. In that time he got them promoted twice, though did relegate them once, & had two successive 7th places, which Sunderland fans would die for now. His win percentage of 45% is something his successors would also die for. Yet Reid is seen as a poor manager today, & anyone would laugh if his name was mentioned for a position.

Can anyone remember Peter Reid being manager of Sunderland in the mid 90's for 7 years. In that time he got them promoted twice, though did relegate them once, & had two successive 7th places, which Sunderland fans would die for now. His win percentage of 45% is something his successors would also die for. Yet Reid is seen as a poor manager today, & anyone would laugh if his name was mentioned for a position.

... and he got given the job at one of the biggest clubs in the land at the time Leeds. His work there and at Coventry and Plymouth afterwards may have something to do with his current reputation rather than what he did at Sunderland :/

The only people saying that Martinez could potentially be in line for a job at a club like Barcelona were people who are not involved with the sport at all, or journalists who wanted an eye-catching headline. Show me one reputable source from Barcelona who said that they were interested in Martinez...

The only people saying that Martinez could potentially be in line for a job at a club like Barcelona were people who are not involved with the sport at all, or journalists who wanted an eye-catching headline. Show me one reputable source from Barcelona who said that they were interested in Martinez...

I am from Barcelona and I can say it was just a speculation because of Martinez's style of football.

or shall i say. does anyone remember steve bruce promoting teams twice from the championship to the premiership. His gonna make it a 3rd time. It's just as hard lifting a team from the championship than keeping your job in the premiership above relegation positions. Now thats what i call a manager Steve Bruce. Beats my mind why united didn't give him a shot instead they opted to get moyes (fergies pen friend) who didn't have the in's and out's of united like Bruce did.

• 2 weeks later...

After 10 years of fm im turning my back on the game. Ive just finished 2nd in la liga with celta vigo and won the spanish cup and cant even get a job interview at a higher rated club. The staure of the club has increased significantly because of performance in last years champs league but my reputation is still terrible! The game is flawed! I have nowhere to go.

I've actually logged a feature to do with this - how if you start a big club with a user with a very small reputation, if you succeed at the big club and keep hold of your job, your reputation rises in higher increments every season you remain in the post. It's a difficult balance as essentially you're doing something very unrealistic (taking a massive job when you have a pathetically low reputation) so currently the game has to boost you from the lowest point possible. A couple of seasons over overachievement can't necessarily do that.

Or just automatically assign a realistic, low sided, reputation depending on the starting job and let it evolve from there.

• Administrators

That was what we had in for a while - it would 'force' you to have a reputation suited for the club. I argued I wanted to make 'me' (crap reputation and all) and if we restricted users choice people would get upset.

I finished 9th in the first season with Truro, they were predicted to finish 22nd, so I got manager of the year. 10 games into the start of the following season, I was offered the Stockport job, a club with a higher rep than Truro.

In my Sheff Wed save on FMC, I have also had a couple of decent job offers.

Biggest flaw for me this year is the addictive rating is set way to high once again, making it impossible for me to put the game down. Personally I think that this means that instead of the game being broken, it is me that is in fact broken. SI please fix this in the next patch otherwise next year I will buy the game again.

That was what we had in for a while - it would 'force' you to have a reputation suited for the club. I argued I wanted to make 'me' (crap reputation and all) and if we restricted users choice people would get upset.

That was not a good idea.

That was not a good idea.

why was it not?

I'm sure SI only thought about the long-term one-club plans when they first implemented the feature, hence why it was locked

then (after Neil's argument) they actually considered that the 'unemployment challenge' needed to become harder, by actually making it as if Joe Armchair Manager was actually in the game (starting from scratch and working the way up)

there's nothing wrong with that, it actually means that SI have considered more options than those they initially considered

getting back to the point, there seems to be a cap on how high you can actually go (unless you actually lift trophies domestically, or have a good European run)

and that probably needs a tweak, but also consider that some big club isn't going to hire you within the first 5-10 years if you're playing it that way

because the bigger managers from today are still around (Rafa Benitez has won one European competition since his CL win 10 years ago, as well as 3 Italian cups)

and you're competing for those role with the likes of Ancellotti, Simeone, Klopp (all of whom have moved jobs within my season of playing) as well as some of the more successful managers (Unai Emery, Bielsa)

Those playstyles should be made harder with the stuff they're currently working towards quite succesfully imo, by making regens less gamey etc, not stuff that has knockon effects in ways that don't just make it harder but make it janky and unrealistic.

One thing I'd like to see in order to create 'me', is to eliminate the reputation from the manager attributes entirely. I shouldn't have to push up my football reputation to be considered a determined person, some of those attributes should be free attributes, independent of the reputation. And, yes, I know that will just give incentive to people to min/max it, but then those people are going to do that regardless of whatever system you put into place.

• 2 weeks later...

OK just to prove to everyone that this game has to be flawed!! Im still on my original save with Celta Vigo.

We have finished

6th

6th

3rd

2nd (Won Spanish Cup)

Winners of la liga!

I couldn't even get an interview with chelsea or barcelona. The spain job came up, so i took that and quit as Celta Vigo coach. The game keeps asking me how it feels to be unemployed??? When I'm managing spain! My reputation is at 55% which I'm assuming is still not very good as newport county in league one just invited me to interview???

Celta Vigo as a club is now regarded as title challenger and a huge club, ye the manager that made that happen in a 5 year project, is not even being looked at by the bigger clubs? The reputation increases are not correct or accurate!!!!

I think that doing extremely well in small teams (it doesn't mean win something, it could also be save a team from relegation) should increase the reputation of manager. I am Italian, so I don't know ho is in UK, but in Italy it works like this.

For instance, Arrigo Sacchi was non-professional player and after was coaching Parma in Serie B: he was then hired my AC Milan...

As opposite, the reputation should go down if you do a disaster with a good team. Even if wasn't like that with Rafa. :lol:

OK just to prove to everyone that this game has to be flawed!! Im still on my original save with Celta Vigo.

We have finished

6th

6th

3rd

2nd (Won Spanish Cup)

Winners of la liga!

I couldn't even get an interview with chelsea or barcelona. The spain job came up, so i took that and quit as Celta Vigo coach. The game keeps asking me how it feels to be unemployed??? When I'm managing spain! My reputation is at 55% which I'm assuming is still not very good as newport county in league one just invited me to interview???

Celta Vigo as a club is now regarded as title challenger and a huge club, ye the manager that made that happen in a 5 year project, is not even being looked at by the bigger clubs? The reputation increases are not correct or accurate!!!!

Did you start with Sunday League reputation? That would explain why the game still thinks you're an unexperienced manager. But I agree it's not realistic, even if you started as a total unknown, a couple of good seasons in La Liga would rapidly establish you as a La Liga quality manager. It's probably worth filling it as a bug report as that sounds wildly unbalanced.

Did you start with Sunday League reputation? That would explain why the game still thinks you're an unexperienced manager. But I agree it's not realistic, even if you started as a total unknown, a couple of good seasons in La Liga would rapidly establish you as a La Liga quality manager. It's probably worth filling it as a bug report as that sounds wildly unbalanced.

Jose Mourinho springs to mind.

interesting read. I started off playing parma in C division, I got them to B division and was offered job positions from Serie A teams. Because i moved 2 divisions up i got the attention of some ears. The big teams obviously that were interested in me was Torion, Bari not teams like Juve or Milan. Eventually i got parma into Serie A and i survived relegation that season and I was also offered a jobs from Fiorentina, Milan and Lazio in that season. Guess i'm doing something right.

I have a related issue that has always bothered me......In most FM games, historical performance has meant nothing it seems. What I mean is, on the last few versions of the game, Arsene Wenger gets fired within two seasons and almost always finishes outside the top 4 on every single save I play.....In real life, he hasn't finished below top 4 in decades. Josep Guardiola gets fired fairly often. Klopp is not too difficult and bounces around clubs quite a bit. Meanwhile, Andre Villas-Boas is like a god despite getting fired multiple times in real life. Brendan Rodgers is guiding teams to Champions League trophies. It's like history is completely irrelevant on the game. It's not to knock the game, I still enjoy the game. It's just a little detail that is inaccurate.

Won 2 PL titles as a manager with 'sunday league player' past experience and still getting 'felt the manager lacked credibility' from my players.

That's annoying. For the first time, I'm trying an unemployed journeyman career starting as sunday league experience and no badges. Frustrating to know that I'll still be dealing with the same problems as I move up the ranks

Most unrealistic???

Being employed by ANY club in the game perhaps? Nevermind just walking into a big club.

For extra realism how about the game defaulting to the Spanish language when you take over at Barcelona or Italian at Juventus? ;)

You already have to get out the pen, notebook and calculator to play. So why not the English -> Spanish dictionary too? ;)

Archived