A Match Engine Theory - Need Clarification!

Like many people have stated in Feedback threads I have seem some weird occurrences during matches and struggling to get the results from games I expected to win.

This evening I switched the Match settings to Highlights = Only Commentary, Camera = 2D and Replays = Goals. Not sure why but my form has improved dramatically, my strikers are scoring more varied goals, conceding less daft goals and the computer has stopping coming back from 3 nil down to 3-3 in games.

Can some other people please change there match day settings and let me know what the results are? It is a long shot but I am sure things are working better now.

When I'm having a bad bit of form I break out the Werthers Originals and suddenly my form improves after I've eaten about 3 of them. You can't chomp them though or the form doesn't improve, FM hates chompers :(

Like many people have stated in Feedback threads I have seem some weird occurrences during matches and struggling to get the results from games I expected to win.

This evening I switched the Match settings to Highlights = Only Commentary, Camera = 2D and Replays = Goals. Not sure why but my form has improved dramatically, my strikers are scoring more varied goals, conceding less daft goals and the computer has stopping coming back from 3 nil down to 3-3 in games.

Can some other people please change there match day settings and let me know what the results are? It is a long shot but I am sure things are working better now.

What you have changed has nothing to do with how your team is playing this is purely luck changing or tactics and yes many people will say this, because its true...its like saying if you use 3d settings its scripted to change your form...almost laughable to think that right.

I personally won't close this (just yet!) because it's always amusing to see how these threads pan out.

My tuppence - it makes no difference whatsoever!

there's always a day when you learn something new, and thanks to that thread i learned the new word, which i checked in dictionary and still have no idea what it means or whats the sense of it... :D

there's always a day when you learn something new, and thanks to that thread i learned the new word, which i checked in dictionary and still have no idea what it means or whats the sense of it... :D

It's a synonym for "two pence" :) (as uncle google just told me)

Whilst I have experienced part of what you say, I'm afraid it's probably down to 2 things

1. Placebo effect, you've done something different, therefore are perceiving different results

2. The 2d display is, in my view, a lot smoother than the 3d, so you don't see as many of the "glitches", using the term lightly.

But hey, whatever works for you...

i know it's a synonym of two pence, i got as far as that... I dont get the sense in that particular sentence... but i'm not english and maybe it's some kind of saying... In our country we have something like "I add my three pence to this", meaning someone is contributing sth, but overall it's insignificant, sometimes even not needed at all (for example: an irrelevant comment)

Just watching the games and making substitutions, no shouts or adjusting formation/instructions.

This sort of thing has come up in almost every edition.

I think only commentary makes people more accepting of results, precisely because we're not seeing the crappy match display ruin things. In our imagination, we lost to a battling display and won every damn battle but just couldn't do it in the end. >_>

Maybe?

When you start the match, the Match Engine calculates the entire first half of the game, using the formations, tactics and all other inputs to create the match events. The entire half of the match has been played before you see it using whatever mode of display and highlight option you choose. Those choices have absolutely no impact on what happens as it's already been calculated. If you make a tactical change during the first half, the engine will recalculate the match from that point until the end of the half. Again, your display choices cannot effect this as it's already all happened in the match engine before you see it. When the second half starts, you are again watching a match that has already been played in the match engine.

Just watching the games and making substitutions, no shouts or adjusting formation/instructions.

Are you less active now in how you respond to a match? Sometimes not knee jerking and letting the game play out can be the best thing to do, and that can lead to difference in form. So can team gelling, players improving, playing teams that are either weaker than yours or vulnerable to your tactics, players being better conditioned or happier or back from injury. The one thing that won't have caused a change is changing how you view a match.

Hmmm, my viewed of things might have been a little distorted. I agree that the game calculated the result and changed things accordingly, despite what "display" settings you had set. However, by limiting things to the basic commentary and 2D replays, would the game be showing a more "Purer" reflection of things, not trying to show more player skills and being reliant on shouts/instructions?

I hardly ever change fiddle with things during the matches, very old school player, which I did apportion to my lack of ability to win things, but I just changed the settings to speed up my progress to get through the matches and you can see the result in my uploaded results.

It's weird how when i watched Liverpool play Hull they lost and conceded stupid goals and yet when i watched them they Hammered West Ham and Spurs........

Did you mean to say you didn't watch one or the other?

If so similar to me - I watched the Hull game and we lost. Then I didn't watch the Norwich, West Ham and Tottenham games and they were brilliant (okay I watched the Tottenham game at 1am as I recorded it).

I'm looking forward to not watching them against Cardiff (thanks a lot BT).

Hmmm, my viewed of things might have been a little distorted. I agree that the game calculated the result and changed things accordingly, despite what "display" settings you had set. However, by limiting things to the basic commentary and 2D replays, would the game be showing a more "Purer" reflection of things, not trying to show more player skills and being reliant on shouts/instructions?

I hardly ever change fiddle with things during the matches, very old school player, which I did apportion to my lack of ability to win things, but I just changed the settings to speed up my progress to get through the matches and you can see the result in my uploaded results.

It makes absolutely difference what viewing method/replay settings etc you use. The match engine calculates the entire game, pass by pass, shot by shot when you start the match. You are then effectively watching a replay of that match in whatever form you choose (up until the point you make changes and it's recalculated). It's tantamount to you recording Match Of The Day on a Saturday night and saying the games have different results depending on whether you have the volume turned up :D.

And just to prove how crazy it is, you can take a game you watched in 2D and go back later and watch it in 3D and vice versa. You'll get the exact same game and result every time.

It is not necessarily a weird theory for anyone who remembers CM4, where the game results were different if you watched the game in graphic or only read the commentary. So, clearly, at some point the ME and the Graphic Display have been correlated so why not still?

Not saying I subscribe to it myself, though.

It is not necessarily a weird theory for anyone who remembers CM4, where the game results were different if you watched the game in graphic or only read the commentary. So, clearly, at some point the ME and the Graphic Display have been correlated so why not still?

Fifa Manager has always done that, but as far as I know, that's never been the case in an SI game. It makes no sense for them to do that, they're creating twice as much work for themselves with developing and maintaining two separate match engines.

Just to clarify also, I took peoples sarcastic/humorous comments in good jest, nobody offended me with replies, I know how the original post could have read to other people, was main after some willing people to make the changes and test out my bizarre theory.:thup:

There was match divergence, where it would (very, very rarely) show you a different match to the results you were getting, but it has never changed the match based on how you watch it.

I always find screaming at the computer helps break a poor run of form. It doesnt have to be words, just noises.

And if you combine it with smacking the mouse to the table multiple times, you'll score in the next highlight. (Note this doesn't work if you watch the full game)

Archived