Former players as managers...

anyone seen any decent former players who have gone on to be very successful or even failed miserably as a manager?

a couple of failures that i've seen include frank lampard and sol campbell, who keep on getting offered great jobs and then completely ruin that team :D

haven't seen any really successful ones...

(screen shots maybe?)

I remember back in CM01/02 David Seaman doing a magnificently bad job at Southampton. He had "guided" them to the bottom of the then Division 1 with only ~10 games left. I took over and without any new players easily pulled them out of relegation and then with a few additions won promotion easily the following year - and that wasn't me being brilliant, it was me doing a decent job with a good squad and him having done an appalling one!

It's a shame that big clubs only seem to hire famous players. Why can't they get a former non-league player, if he's good enough? I think there are non-league managers who are very good, but they don't seem to get their chance. Ian Jenkins at Cray is quality and has little money to work with as the club are planning on getting their own ground soon, yet they are pushing for promotion from their league and are title contenders.

It's a shame that big clubs only seem to hire famous players. Why can't they get a former non-league player, if he's good enough? I think there are non-league managers who are very good, but they don't seem to get their chance. Ian Jenkins at Cray is quality and has little money to work with as the club are planning on getting their own ground soon, yet they are pushing for promotion from their league and are title contenders.

Two words..

Football politics ;)

same question here ...

but more interestingly cool skin and background pictures :D

First of all, thanks :p

Solskjaer is a bit of a traitor in my game, he left Utd for Murcia & then Murcia for Liverpool in the space of a year.

23j6355.jpg

Screenie of Barca's position here:

ohv1as.jpg

Haha, Barca are sh-ockingly bad ... and can't believe Ole Gunnar ... what a traitor lol, but he is a great ambassador for the game, and i think we can all forgive him ;)

What I find funniest about Ole in my game is that irl he would ALWAYS stay loyal to Utd, in the game he left them for more money at Murcia, now a Spanish powerhouse :D

Liverpool's listed as one of his favourite clubs. In one of my saves on I think it was FM 2005, he ended up at Liverpool.

Why on earth is Liverpool one of his favourite clubs? :eek:

Still doesn't explain why he left Utd for Murcia, does he have them listed aswell!!? :p

Collins John became Fulham manager before leading Holland to the World Cup. Kaka is Sao Paulo as well as England U21 manager, and Sami Hyypia has been in charge of Real Madrid for 15 years. And Paul Ince is England boss

The biscuit is taken though by... Bradley Wright Phillips, for leading Bristol Rovers into Europe.

No screenshots unfortunatly, but on an AI experiment I was trying back in May I saw the following:

Joe Cole at Blackpool in League 2

Micah Richards at Cambridge United in League 2

Ryan Giggs at Burnley in Premiership

These were the most notable managers, however:

Steven Gerrard became a world class scout

Frank Lampard was Assistant Manager at Chelsea

Ben Foster was Assistant Manager at Bolton

Also John Terry played until he was 42!

• SI Staff

This side of the game has always interested me. It's great to see what happened to the players you used to manage or what became of that youngster you sold many years ago. To make it easier, for FM09, I've added the functionality to go to the Best Eleven screen for any club or nation, choose a particular year and request a 'Where Are They Now?" report. You will then get a news item to your inbox informing you of what the players who featured in that team are doing now.

This side of the game has always interested me. It's great to see what happened to the players you used to manage or what became of that youngster you sold many years ago. To make it easier I've added, for FM09, the functionality to go to the Best Eleven screen for any club or nation, choose a particular year and request a 'Where Are They Now?" report. You will then get a news item to your inbox informing you of what the players who featured in that team are doing now.

Well done mate, this should be an interessting feature to use!!

This side of the game has always interested me. It's great to see what happened to the players you used to manage or what became of that youngster you sold many years ago. To make it easier, for FM09, I've added the functionality to go to the Best Eleven screen for any club or nation, choose a particular year and request a 'Where Are They Now?" report. You will then get a news item to your inbox informing you of what the players who featured in that team are doing now.

that's very cool !

Not got screenshots but i've seen Lampard managing barcelona, Sol campbell managing League 2 carlisle, Ryan Giggs managing Cardiff and Rio Ferdinand manage Englandtaking over from rafa benitez even though his only previous job was at shewrsbury

Luis Figo taking his first managment job at premiership Bristol Rovers, finishing 2nd and taking them to the Champions league quarter final, before moving to manage croatia and winning Euro 2016 and the World cup in 2022, stayin there for a total of 23 years, a very long time in international mamagement!! Rivaldo went on to manage Olympiakos, before enjoying long successful spells at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Portugal, Liverpool and England, winning a total of 17 league titles, 9 Champions League titles, 23 domestic trophies and 3 international trophies.

Hi Nick,

That's excellent news. One thing I also wish is that the game keeps the files of retired players who leave the game entirely, just so that I can look at their stats and honours history.

Lampard is actually a good manager in one of my saves...of Tottenham...he stumbled from club to club then found his way into a relegated spurs side and led them to promotion and then european qualification back to back.

What a great feature. Yet another little thing that will make a nice difference to fans and regular users of the FM series. Bravo!

Claude Makelele has managed FC Sochaux for a few years and then resigned while doing a good job.

Sol Campbell is doing an average job at Preston after managing Stoke for a season.

Olof Mellberg took over at a distinctly average Livorno side. They are currently 1st in Serie B, but they relegated a season ago.

Luciano Zauri has managed Grosseto into a strong mid table team.

Jonathan Woodgate is making Stevenage into relegation battlers and doing a terrible job with the talent at his hands.

Quim is currently managing Salernitana into a mid table team. He has proven to be a tactician already in the games i've played against him.

On my game Lampard is youth coach at Fulham (strange as his house was burgled by Fulham fans during 04-05 season) Aliaksandr Hleb is Tottenham manager (and taking them to the Championship by the look of things) and Drogba and Makelele are both unemployed managers waiting for their first jobs.

Archived