Is this allowed?

I'm not sure if it's legal or not.

He seems to have compiled all the best downloads for FM onto one disc for simplicity.

It's only a couple of pound after all.

If this is legal then I'd buy it to save me surfing for hours.

Of course, if this is illegal... I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. :D

Guest roberto922

Of course it's illegal, if you take out the copyright images and ask permission from the makers of each guide/application it would be legal but not just now.

It's not just the player faces and team kits, by selling the patches he is also guilty of piracy. Prison is a serious possibility if he has made a lot of sales. At the very least he could face private legal action that would leave him in financial difficulty for years to come. Some people are just stupid.

I met Microsoft's counterfeit expert a couple of years back - piracy is more profitable than drugs and is becoming bigger business. Pirates rarely if ever escape with just a warning.

I used to make facepacks back in the day - although I haven't made any for FM08 (actually I made one, but meh), I'd be pretty annoyed if it was my stuff being sold on that disk. I made that stuff for free, for the community. Not for some arsewipe to bag it up and sell it.

Unfortunately I do have to stress this. You may not use any of the above images or my manual I provide with the disc. You are free to give copy's to your friends, but you may not copy the disc and sell this on for profit. If you do this then negative feedback will be given. This applies especially to the one person who copys my discs and tries to sell them on again each year. This is why I always have to put out a lesser version of the disc before a final version like this auction.

Is this guy serious?!

Cheeky bugger.

The guy has some cheek to sell a compilation of free resources then warn people not to copy the disc and sell it on at the end.

Has anyone tried reporting him through the VeRO Programme??? I can't, keeps throwing up an error.

This is funny too, at the bottom:

May I point out the files on this disc are not all my own work, I do not claim this anywhere on this auction. This disc is a service disc, without this disc you would have to download more than 250 individual files (some from premium download websites) and then extract the files and then install the files. I am cutting out all the downloading and extracting all you have to do is place one folder onto your harddrive. I also offer full support and will even install the update via MSN live. By buying this disc you get the files on a CD sent 1st class post, just take a look at my rating for speed of delivery 4.9 out of 5.

The audacity of some people is incredible. I just can't believe there are people out there who are so greedy they will try to sell other peoples work which is freely available elsewhere. Then he has the cheek to tell others not to copy it and sell it on

Get a friggin' job an make an honest living!

How do people know hes not made them?

Shut up, detectives.

1. Because the skins on there are known to be made by other people.

2. Because he didn't make the patch did he. I think you'll find SI did that.

3. Because the guy himself says so.

4. Because he didn't take the photographs, didn't design the kits and doesn't own the football clubs, therefore does not have the right to sell it.

Shut up, detectives.

Because the people who make these are pretty well known around the FM scene. I bet a lot of people around here could list the exact people who have made all the graphics he is selling,

And that one says DONT BE FOOLED BY SCHOOL BOY AMATEUR UPDATES OFFERED ELSEWHERE!! lmao!!

Lets be fair to this Ebay douché the guy has done well for himself. Wish i had thought of it first! We live in a world today where noone really cares what everyone thinks of them anymore, he clearly doesnt care.

I actually like the idea of a disc like this, it would save me trawling to very different sites to get the parts i liked the most, SI can't release their own disc obviously, if they could it would be in the game already.

So well done to this ebay turd, could anyone who bought something from his post his details here? :D

Shut up, detectives.

Because I have the exact same pictures in my game.

1. He is selling skins that have been released under the GNU license which is illegal.

2. He is selling images that are copyrighted which is also illegal.

It's basically just plagiarism.

Of course, all this "open source" and GNU stuff he's selling can legally be "sold" if you are careful with the wording...

You give away the DVD, but only to those willing to buy an msn messanger based web-support package.

Don't red hat sell linux under a similar basis?

The players pictures is a different matter though, unless he's personally taken them or knows they are all open source.

I actually like the idea of a disc like this, it would save me trawling to very different sites to get the parts i liked the most, SI can't release their own disc obviously, if they could it would be in the game already.

So well done to this ebay turd, could anyone who bought something from his post his details here? :D

If there was indeed a legal way of producing a disc with all this info on (would save hours/days searching and downloading) then I would certainly buy one. Pity some sort of charity can't be set up to provide this product. The authors of the various skins, logo/face packs would have to agree to offer their work to the charity.

Is this idea a viable option - or would there still be legal problems? Certainly if possible the charity concerned would benefit considerably as I believe many FM players would be happy to offer their support by purchasing a disc.

If there was indeed a legal way of producing a disc with all this info on (would save hours/days searching and downloading) then I would certainly buy one. Pity some sort of charity can't be set up to provide this product. The authors of the various skins, logo/face packs would have to agree to offer their work to the charity.

Is this idea a viable option - or would there still be legal problems? Certainly if possible the charity concerned would benefit considerably as I believe many FM players would be happy to offer their support by purchasing a disc.

It would be possible to set up an "Official Charity", but it would still be breraking the law, in regards to the copyright infringement of players, club logo's and competition logos they are still owned by the relevant assoications. Reproducing them without their permission it illegal.

The guys who produces this CD is guilty of plagiarsam... for the skins he's stolen.

Then piracy for the logos and badges and facepack's he has produced without permission.

It would be possible to set up an "Official Charity", but it would still be breraking the law, in regards to the copyright infringement of players, club logo's and competition logos they are still owned by the relevant assoications. Reproducing them without their permission it illegal.

Do you think the FA would give permission to reproduce logo and face packs for a charity of their choice?

They must be aware how popular FM has become over the years - and that individual produce shirts, logos & face packs for us to add realism to the game.

Sorry - missed out my last sentence:

They must also know that possibly a million people are using logos, face packs etc., and this means we are all breaking the law, possibly they might consider a workaround?

In reality, i've heard on here that only about 18,000 people use the si forums, and a lot less than that would be editing their game.

The problem would have to be so bad that the holders of the rights found their products were loosing value through this. Which the numbers above don't show.

If the guys on e-bay are going to expand their operation, then that might be the way we are going?

i used to sell xbox live trial cards that come with games. cannot believe that anyone bought them, let alone bid £5 for one. i stress, that was back in the day and i am utterly ashamed of myself :)

people like me have spent hours downloading and extracting files to my c:\ drive, even for leagues i will never manage in. it's not hard or very expensive to do that. and i appreciated those who have spent ages doing facepacks for entire teams, i take an age doing just one player picture... but making money, not just of FM08, but from the people who unwittingly contributed to this disc, and admitting that it is not your own work, is wrong. and whoever buys this disc is crazy.

Sorry - missed out my last sentence:

They must also know that possibly a million people are using logos, face packs etc., and this means we are all breaking the law, possibly they might consider a workaround?

No, we are not breaking the law as SI turn a blind eye to those to create things for the community for free, its only illegal when you try to sell things that are copyrighted by SI, such as updated databases etc as SI are the owners of the original db.

Anyone who finds somoene selling stuff illegally should email them at the address Ackter gave as they have a piracy team who deal with this stuff iirc

Hope that clears it up.

No, we are not breaking the law as SI turn a blind eye to those to create things for the community for free, its only illegal when you try to sell things that are copyrighted by SI, such as updated databases etc as SI are the owners of the original db.

Anyone who finds somoene selling stuff illegally should email them at the address Ackter gave as they have a piracy team who deal with this stuff iirc

Hope that clears it up.

SI purchase licences to use some of the logo's that they use.

There is a defence in piracy if it's on a samll scale and you don't earn money then you can't be proecuted.

The individuals concerned who are selling the discs don't own the copyright to such things as the Manchester United Badge, The Champions League Badge etc. These are the things they are selling.

Archived