How do you pull your goalkeeper?

Seems pretty clear to me. Is it possible to bring your goalkeeper forward (like if you are trailing in a cup game and get a corner in the dying minutes) and if it it's possible, how do you do it? Maybe "pulling your goalie" is a term used only in hockey but I assumed it was used in soccer too...

I've never done it myself, but you should be able to sub a fielder into the goalkeeper spot, and then move him out into the position you want him in.

oh yeah...thats true..how didn't I think of that!? But what if the game doesn't make tactical changes until its too late, is there an instant way to order the keeper forward or is that the only way??

Seems pretty clear to me. Is it possible to bring your goalkeeper forward (like if you are trailing in a cup game and get a corner in the dying minutes) and if it it's possible, how do you do it? Maybe "pulling your goalie" is a term used only in hockey but I assumed it was used in soccer too...

I think it must only be a hockey thing, or at least an American/Canadian thing. I've certainly never heard it in England.

I have seen the goalkeepers sometimes come forwards for corners and free kicks in the dying minutes when I'm set to overload, but I think some of it depends on their eccentricity rating. You might be able to do it through the set piece creator as well - there is a symbol for the goalkeeper, though I've never attempted it.

oh yeah...thats true..how didn't I think of that!? But what if the game doesn't make tactical changes until its too late, is there an instant way to order the keeper forward or is that the only way??

Unless there's a touchline shout for it, I think you're stuck taking the risk with a full blown tactical change.

Two things;

1. I don't want to know about you "pulling your goalkeeper" in hockey

2. 'Soccer' is a term not usually used in football either

As for your keeper coming forward, if you set your mentality to "Overload" in the dying minute your keeper may come up. It's pretty much suicide though in most circumstances. A corner in the dying minutes is pretty much the only reason to try it.

Two things;

HAHAHA oh man, and then you wonder why tehre's that stereotype about brits being arrogant

HAHAHA oh man, and then you wonder why tehre's that stereotype about brits being arrogant

Whilst that part of his reply wasn't exactly necessary your reply isn't needed either, 1. how do you know if he is british? and 2. labelling everyone with a 'stereotype' because of one person on the internet isn't exactly going to encourage people to help you.

That said, his comments on overload mentality are pretty much it as far as football goes as changing of players isn't as fluid as it is in ice hockey so its basically gk going forward for a last minute corner/free kick rather than actually replacing the gk with another outfield player as play would have to stop and it would be suicide really.

Two things;

You really need to tone your attitude down a bit. This is the second post I've seen in only about a week where you've responded so rudely and inappropriately. Third post, if counting the unnecessary "aboot" remark.

You really need to tone your attitude down a bit. This is the second post I've seen in only about a week where you've responded so rudely and inappropriately. Third post, if counting the unnecessary "aboot" remark.

...uhh... What? Ummm... Hmmm...

I mentioned how this isn't hockey and how the term Soccer isn't really used and suddenly you have a problem with my attitude. If I directly insulted hockey then maybe you have a the right to post about my "attitude", however I did not.

As far as I know there's a rule AGAINST "pulling" a keeper... so you can't substitute your keeper with an outfield player. (that rule prevented Jorge Campos from playing as impromptu striker during the 1994 World Cup)

However there should be a way to tell your GK to join the attack in special occasions... Maybe setting the menatality on "offensive" can raise the chances of it happening?

As far as I know there's a rule AGAINST "pulling" a keeper... so you can't substitute your keeper with an outfield player. (that rule prevented Jorge Campos from playing as impromptu striker during the 1994 World Cup)

That might be World Cup specific, as part of the conditions of having to call up 3 GK's in the squad. David James has been deployed in the Premier League as an outfield player several times.

I mentioned how this isn't hockey and how the term Soccer isn't really used and suddenly you have a problem with my attitude. If I directly insulted hockey then maybe you have a the right to post about my "attitude", however I did not.

"The term soccer isn't really used". Were you born stupid or did you take lessons? In North America its called soccer.

Ok forget that then, let me rephrase. You are arrogant.

That's very insulting to the Brits... So you assumed because I'm "arrogant" that I must be British... hmmm... Now that's arrogance for you!

"The term soccer isn't really used". Were you born stupid or did you take lessons? In North America its called soccer.

Creative editing of my post mate. The original read:

'Soccer' is a term not usually used in football either

The term is used in North America yes, but if you're talking to a wider audience than just Yankydoodles and Canadians then you may want to use the proper term. It would be like me suddenly breaking into Japanese、でも私は日本語で話さないからしない。At the end of the day, being from one of those nations that calls football soccer I make sure I use the proper terminology to make sure that what I post is understood with the great irony here being that you've taken offence to the fact that I haven't just taken your blatant use of incorrect (in this context) terminology as normal. At the end of the day use any terminology you want, but on a forum about a football game you should probably call it by its correct name.

Fun Fact: The word 'Soccer' actually came from England.

Football (as seen by americans) is open for interpretation. Sure, it's highly unlikely that football here means anything but the kind we all love, but there is no need to crack down on people using a term that can not be misinterpreted. Just as there is no need to crack down on people with english as their second or third language.

Football (as seen by americans) is open for interpretation. Sure, it's highly unlikely that football here means anything but the kind we all love, but there is no need to crack down on people using a term that can not be misinterpreted. Just as there is no need to crack down on people with english as their second or third language.

Who needs to crack down on people who have English as even their 20th or 30th language?

People need to make sure they are clear and on here there is no need to use anything else but Football, to refer to football. I mean, the word football isn't even that confusing in America if you think of Australia. Since 2006 people have tried to bring the word Football back for the sport whilst having to compete with AFL football, Rugby League Football and Rugby Union football which all like to use that word.

Also, strangely enough some of the clearest posts I've read on here were by people who did not speak English as their first language, however they were clear and didn't ramble. The posts that are the most annoying on here are the ones that just do away with grammar, spelling and general structure and just turn into a single epic sentence that lacks clarity and sometimes even the content that they wanted to discuss.

No, you didn't "mention how this isn't hockey". You rudely hit out at biglukes' response, as if his clarification was encroaching on your personal space or human rights or something. Your exact words were:

Two things;

"I don't want to know about you 'pulling your goalkeeper' in hockey"...? Exactly what use does this response serve, and why was it so necessary to bring it so clearly to his attention? His original question was obviously misunderstood, so he clarified it. Who are you to "set the record straight" on what you do and don't want to know from him?

And second, we can play semantics all day, and claim that you were merely telling him "how soccer isn't really used", but we both know your angle - you just wanted to take a jab at him for using the term soccer. Trust me, I see it happen every single time the term "soccer" is uttered in the presence of a European.

Lastly, there was "aboot". Yet another unnecessary personal jab at biglukes.

Considering this is the second time in about a week that I've seen you respond so rudely to someone, I can't help myself from saying at least something.

Why are those games called "football" anyways? The foot actually touches the ball very rarely in both games. If they refer to the length of the ball they toss around, they shouldn't - as a ball is a ball and is not a foot long.

Football should only be used to refer to the game where guys are running around kicking a ball with their feet.

No, you didn't "mention how this isn't hockey". You rudely hit out at biglukes' response, as if his clarification was encroaching on your personal space or human rights or something. Your exact words were:

"I don't want to know about you 'pulling your goalkeeper' in hockey"...? Exactly what use does this response serve, and why was it so necessary to bring it so clearly to his attention? His original question was obviously misunderstood, so he clarified it. Who are you to "set the record straight" on what you do and don't want to know from him?

And second, we can play semantics all day, and claim that you were merely telling him "how soccer isn't really used", but we both know your angle - you just wanted to take a jab at him for using the term soccer. Trust me, I see it happen every single time the term "soccer" is uttered in the presence of a European.

Lastly, there was "aboot". Yet another unnecessary personal jab at biglukes.

Considering this is the second time in about a week that I've seen you respond so rudely to someone, I can't help myself from saying at least something.

Actually I have a nerve injury in my right hand from an accident many years back and have a tendency to double type letters due to my hand twitching slightly. I generally catch them, but hey, insult the cripple, why not? Apart from that I don't think the response was as direct and confrontational as you're making out, but hey, its hard to determine tone from text isn't it.

Enjoy your day.

There's always a keeper. A team will always have a keeper because they are really at the end of the day, just like any outfield player but who can use his hands in the box. The dynamics of hockey are different to 'soccer' in regards to this. IIRC a hockey goaltender can't go past his third of the field? There is also limited interchange and in most situations a keeper will come up there will be no subs left. Finally, there's no "powerplay" style ease of puck or ball control, due to having so many players on the field.

Some leagues have additional rules that specific that a keeper must be named on the bench, and he cannot be subbed in for an outfield player. The Australian League is one example of this.

In FM, overload with ultra-mentality might have the keeper coming way off his line and being as close as you can get if your team is camped in their half. Because they'd be playing as a sweeper-keeper and running to collect the long lofted clearances as soon as possible.

You can send the keeper 'forward' at a free kick, throw in or corner, by setting the keeper into a position in that set piece instruction. You can also set your keeper to take penalties and free kicks (I'm not sure about throw-ins and corners, I've never done that).

Sometimes the keeper will go forward on his own.

However, they generally run straight backwards as soon as the ball leaves his general area. Only if the ball drops to them or they are the closest will they generally play the ball and most of the time will just pass it off. If it comes to their feet in the box in a position they can shoot they will and do.

Why are those games called "football" anyways? The foot actually touches the ball very rarely in both games. If they refer to the length of the ball they toss around, they shouldn't - as a ball is a ball and is not a foot long.

Football should only be used to refer to the game where guys are running around kicking a ball with their feet.

Yeah well, don't ask me... I'm surprised that people don't call Hockey football sometimes, however I think that might be because Canadians have more respect for the World.

Corner instructions are pretty much the only way I think. You could create a 4-4-2 normal and a 4-4-2 goalieup or something and use the "change to a saved tactic" shortcut? it'll happen as fast as a shout can be taken into account / removed anyway. Make it when you are trailing late on, if you score QUICKLY change it back.

edit: Worth remembering that aSOCiAtion football, SOCA, or ultimately Soccer, is an english term. One used in the late 1800s and early 1900s to differentiate "Soccer" and "Rugger" footballs. Now simplified to "Rugby" and "Football" in common usage.

Change team mentality to ultra-offensive (i.e. the highest possible team setting) and you should notice your keeper coming up for corners. The commentary will say "but who's this?" as he charges forward.

It might be partly down to the keeper's traits too, but ultra-offensive is what you want to try.

The rugby, American, Gaelic and Australian variants share their origins with association football.

The rugby, American, Gaelic and Australian variants share their origins with association football.

Which is why the term soccer developed in England, to differentiate it from the other versions of "football" popular at the time.

Two things;

As for your keeper coming forward, if you set your mentality to "Overload" in the dying minute your keeper may come up. It's pretty much suicide though in most circumstances. A corner in the dying minutes is pretty much the only reason to try it.

The OP is Canadian. Maybe he doesn't know much about soccer, but he was asking an honest question, and all you do is criticize his use of the word 'soccer'. If you're asking for respect, why don't you give it first instead of bashing how we call a sport? If you had any knowledge of North American sports we already have a sport called football.

I'll go ahead and use the official name - Association Football.

Rugby Football, American Football etc are all variants on Association Football, but these variants existed prior to Association Football being associated - so that's why the term Soccer was coined.

What are you going on aboot guy? He isnt giving attitude really, just pointing oot we don't use the term soccer, buddy.

Football (in all it's wonderful variations) is called football because it's played on foot. Nothing to do with kicking a ball.

Archived