Your favourite nations/leagues to manage in?

It's obviously been asked before but it's a good question so I'll ask it again!

What are your favourite nations/leagues to play on FM?

My firm favourite is always the English league structure. I suppose being from England and watching English football all of the time makes me more interested in this kind of game.

In past FM saves, I have also experimented with the Italian lower divisions (lots of fun with some big clubs down there), Irish leagues, German, Indian, Scottish and Swedish. I'm sure there are probably others too but I can't remember now. The Italian leagues are always a firm favourite for me with so many famous clubs, plenty of massive clubs languishing in the lower divisions and a great footballing history in the country generally to add to the 'story' of your FM save.

I've been thinking of trying some new leagues in different nations for my next save but I'm not sure where to go next. I'm due a return to Sweden, as I think that could provide a great lower league adventure, and the seasons are short and snappy, which could keeps things rolling along nicely. I'm also quite tempted to try Scotland again as the lower leagues are nice and challenging.

I've never been to France or Spain but I'm always slightly put off by the reserve teams in the their lower divisions (I like to play in the lower leagues). For some reason, I quite like the idea of going to Belgium and playing in their lower league structure - has anyone else played in Belgium? Mexico sounds quite tempting for something totally different so maybe I will also try there some time.

There are lots of different leagues and countries represented in FM and I realise that I have played in barely any of them! :o

I'm interested to hear other people's favourites and their experiences in different nations/leagues. So fire away!

The seasons I enjoyed most were in Russia and Mexico - quite a contrast.

Mexico is completely mad. Russia is a nicely balanced in terms of difficulty.

Don;t like England (too many games) & Italy (too many rules.)

The Brazil season lasts forever, unless you holiday thjrough the state championships, on the other hand, you get to play like you have eleven Brazilians in your team.

I played a few seasons in the Finnish leagues had a team in the 1st Division, took me 4 years to get promoted due to league restructuring and the team not quite being there, then in my 1st season in the top flight won it, unfortunately finished 9th the next season while managing to reach the group stage of the Champions League really enjoyed it there though as I had to rely mostly on free transfers which proved to be really profitable when the chairman kept selling them from under my nose, the only downside was the season starting in January which meant I played nearly a whole season before Euro comps I'd already qualified were played

Always stick to the top tiers of English football, also dip into La Liga now and then. This version of FM is the first time I've had a good enough computer to load loads of leagues, so currently I'm at Newcastle but once done will be jumping around the big leagues, want to try some of them out.

I always like managing in Portugal since it's my home country and it's always a good challenge to break the dominance of the big three, however it can also be annoying since the attendances aren't very high and the TV/prize money isn't that great which can lead to some financial trouble if you are managing outside of the big three, but since it's easy to make a profit on the transfer market in this game it doesn't end up being a big deal. It's also fun to sign a lot of south americans(specially brazilians).

I had saves with both Piacenza and Novara in Italy which i quite enjoyed, the Serie B specially is quite interesting to manage in my opinion, my only problem with Italy is the absence of a Reserve league which makes you schedule a lot of friendlies for your reserve team if you want to keep subs match fit which can be quite a chore.

Haven't managed in Spain for a long time because of the "B" teams issue, have no idea if it's been fixed yet.

Holland and Belgium seem to have an original league/play-off structure, i'm managing FC Eindhoven now from the dutch second division and qualified for the play-off on my first season but end up failing on the play-off final which is against teams from the eredivisie, 8 teams qualify for the play-off so it can be interesting.

I love managing in Germany, a lot of prize&tv money and there's a lot of teams that can challenge for the title.

I'm curious about the Russian League specially since it limits foreign players a lot i think, it can be an interesting save but haven't managed there yet, i'm still to do also a save on the South America which i've been wanting to do for a long time but always end up starting a save in Europe.

Mexico sounds quite tempting for something totally different so maybe I will also try there some time.

I'm playing in the 2nd division of Mexico right now. The biggest differences from European football are the very tight promotion/relegation system and the limited foreign player rules. I'm playing in the 2nd division and there is only ONE team promoted every year, that being the winner of a fairly extensive and competitive playoff system, played in 2 half-seasons with the champion of each pitted against each other for that lone promotion spot. The good thing about the apertura/clausera system (17 matches in each half) is that no matter how bad you finish in one half, your record is wiped clean and you have a fair shot at being competitive in the next.

The Mexican leagues have a very tight rule on foreign players. The top division allows for 5 foreign players and the second division allows for only 3 foreigners. You really have to carefully play the use of these slots and nearly always those slots are filled with North or South Americans. Right now, I have a Brazilian creative midfielder, a Colombian winger, and my starting keeper is an American. I've only seen two teams with players from outside North or South America - once a Polish player and once a South Korean. If you love scouting all over the world and finding foreign talent to fill your roster, Mexico isn't the place for you. The teams do have a pretty good amount of income, so it's not an impoverished league by any means. But there are only so many Mexican players in the gameworld and competition for them is tight - since Mexican teams are required to have so many Mexican players and other South American leagues themselves have very limited capacity for foreign players.

There is definitely talent in the Mexican leagues, as Chicharito has shown IRL. The FM league reputations are 140 and 100 for the top and second divisions, which is roughly comparable to the Dutch top two divisions.

Can you elaborate on 'Mexico is completely mad' please! :D

Dankzryz gives a very nice summary. Basically, I finished nowhere, then won the league, then didn't get promoted. Meanwhile, it's possible to finish in mid-table and go down.

Combined with having three players and an ass man called Hernandez, I didn't know what was going on.

And it's possible to play South American style and not get your ass kicked.

I love Spanish Second Division B or whatever it is. Frickin' difficult to get promoted. Still don't understand how that works and it took me 10 years to get out with a reasonably competitive team. Then we got relegated back to the division and i'm 4 years marooned in it and counting. It's challenging and you really need to know your tactics and be canny with transfers. Very rewarding, but punishing on occasion.

Seen a fair few people mention Brazil so when I get a little bit bored of my current Arsenal save, I will go and try my hand in the lower reaches of Brazil and make one of the teams a top,top team. Might put some enjoyment back into my Arsenal one as I usually get bored of it after 4-5 seasons.

England because it has great reserve leagues and good money. The only drawback is the crazy fixture around Christmas/New Year.

I also enjoyed managing in Germany before FM09, before the German researchers **** up everyone's attributes.

England, I know all about the players so it makes it easy to build my team.. Not that they ever do good!

And Norway, I started a game with Stabaek and havent looked back since :) they are like the Tottenham of Norweguan football :)

England because it has great reserve leagues and good money. The only drawback is the crazy fixture around Christmas/New Year.

I also enjoyed managing in Germany before FM09, before the German researchers **** up everyone's attributes.

What's happened with the German research then?

Spain - I've spent so many playing hours there that any time I try some other country I get confused and get back to Spain as soon as possible.

Never played in England, France and Germany, had some period at Fiorentina and Napoli in the Serie A + 10 seasons at Valle del Giovenco, Serie C team.

Whenever new version of FM is released I choose one of Spanish lower leagues teams, AD Alcorcon usually, then when I get used to the new features I try to win something with my favourite team from my country - Widzew Lodz.

England is always my top choice, not just because it's the one I follow in real life but also the rules are straightforward and fair, and all teams get a good amount of games. And of course for the FA Cup, where you get David v Goliath fixtures, something that doesn't really happen in Italy or Spain.

I have managed in many different nations over the years. Brazil was interesting in the 3rd division, where I somehow got promoted in my first season. But I notice that alot of teams in that league end up with a big holiday if they don't get through the first stage. But then they have the State Championships and it's like having 2 seasons in one every year. Italy and Spain have good, competitive leagues, but I am not a fan of the cups, as mentioned above. The other big European nations tend to be dominated by one or two teams and I find them a bit boring lately. Have also tried Mexico and Argentina and struggled to understand what was going on with promotions/relegations, etc, which was fun!

Also tried Singapore and Japan in the past, with the latter being quite an interesting league which kept me entertained for quite a few seasons.

I also like custom leagues, in particular my own attempts at a World League, but due to editor problems this year I haven't created one so am playing a slightly edited version of the English structure.

The Spanish lower leagues for me.

I love the English tier system, but I love lower league teams. There's more talent (attribute-wise) in Spain B1-B4 then Blue Square. In Spain I get less frustrated.

The playoff system intrigues me; it's just so much different than England, etc.

for ease and simplicity i like managing in Ukraine theres alot of potentiol there lots of money decent sized stadiums overall a good league

i generally pick a league based on a team i want to manage though but like i say i do enjoy the ukrainian leagues and the english

Bulgaria is quite good I find. You can sign players from anywhere in the world and it takes just 3 years for them to get citizenship, so you can have fun filling your team up with top quality African players. Seasons are short as well - unlike in English lower league management which gets to me after a while because of the number of games you have to play.

Bulgaria is a bit of challenge as well because there is a sallery cap, so you have to be careful about how much you spend.

I like Australia as long as I start the game there, otherwise it struggles for longevity. Ultimately, I always end up back enjoying the English league ladder as I have the best grounding as to what reputation everyone is.

I want to try Brazil eventually, it looks good fun, but I've never got round to it. I might go for Ituano - I think that's where the magician that is Juninho is now.

Actually, I'm a bit fed up with Europe. This thread is making me nostalgic for my 2010 Mexico save. Mmm... Mexico.

I 've played in: England, Spain, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Ukraine, Turkey, Italy, Norway, Czech Rep, Bulgaria, Holland, Germany, France, Australia & MLS. So my choice is quite well researched.

i like Germany, very competiative country to manage in and plenty of money going about after a few seasons. I enjoy Italy up to a point, can be very difficult but i get frustrated with the 1 non eu player each season rule and the crazy system of buying half a player annoys me, never used it and never sell players to clubs this way. Spain is just boring, if your not real, barca or athletico then its a slog for a number of seasons with chairmans expetcing success. I had a good couple of seasons in mexico, but it is a crazy system to get your head round, and can be quite restrictive with the non mexican rule, there are only so many good mexicans going about. Argentina just confused me, having the league and relegation over a couple of seasons threw me off a bit, plus the league struggles money wise, saying that i havent tried in FM11 but i remember starting with Boca in FM10 have being massivly over budget before doing any kind of transfers. I have started an Australian league but yet to get stuck into it properly, quite fancy managing an aging Robbie Fowler tho!!

I enjoy Italy up to a point, can be very difficult but i get frustrated with the 1 non eu player each season rule and the crazy system of buying half a player annoys me, never used it and never sell players to clubs this way.

Yeah, I never use the co-ownership thing either and I just find it annoying when clubs keep pestering you for it all of the time.

Spain is just boring, if your not real, barca or athletico then its a slog for a number of seasons with chairmans expetcing success.

Don't know why but I've never had much interest in Spain. Not sure if I have managed there since the days of CM actually. Probably not.

I had a good couple of seasons in mexico, but it is a crazy system to get your head round, and can be quite restrictive with the non mexican rule, there are only so many good mexicans going about.

The strange system puts me off places like Mexico. I mean, they essentially have two titles a season dished out based on half a season of games. Seems a bit mental to me. :confused:

Argentina just confused me, having the league and relegation over a couple of seasons threw me off a bit, plus the league struggles money wise, saying that i havent tried in FM11 but i remember starting with Boca in FM10 have being massivly over budget before doing any kind of transfers. I have started an Australian league but yet to get stuck into it properly, quite fancy managing an aging Robbie Fowler tho!!

I'd really like to have an epic save somewhere totally different for once.

The strange system puts me off places like Mexico. I mean, they essentially have two titles a season dished out based on half a season of games. Seems a bit mental to me. :confused:

I'd really like to have an epic save somewhere totally different for once.

Argentina is worse, in effect you can finish top of the league and not win, or finish mid table and get relegated, it takes a while to get your head around.

Getting the Australian one going is my next challenge, i have only loaded the aisian leagues with european players loaded so it might not get the 10/15 seasons but it should have enough to keep me going.

Scandinavia is also my next challenge, i have read a few good threads with people managing there and it looks interesting, just need to find a team that gets me interested.

A-League - Great fun although in the long run the salary cap does not rise so makes long term games hard. At first I find it quite even in the league and the play-off system at the end is good fun.

Argentina - I have only really managed here in the future, there are loads of talented regens about and you can sell players very easily. Only being allowed 3 foreign players makes the game quite hard in terms of buying and it is also possible to attract older Argentinian players back home. I had a 37 year old Mascherano still kicking ass, a 34 year old Mauro Zarate getting 20 goals and 20 assists in 40 odd games, a 34 year old Fazio still good at the back. All of these were great tutors and I have seen Tevez go back aged 33 and he still had wicked stats. The league system is a bit weird but I like it, if you can win the opening stage you qualify for continental competition straight away.

New Zealand - Just for fun, it is extremely easy. The standard of the opposition is so poor you can get rubbish players and make your team play like Barcelona. Not that much fun for a long term game but for a few seasons it is great and the World Club Cup gives you a chance to face the best teams from each continent every year.

I like Romania, it has a lot of potential, the rules are not that strict about foreign players and is in the EU so players from most of Europe don't count as foreigners. Also at the start of the game 6 clubs qualify for Europe with the winner directly into the Groups stage of the UCL. CFR Cluj, Steaua or FC Timisoara are the way to go. The prize money is crap but the TV money is good for this level and combined with the money form the CL it should be enough to cover your expenses. Ticket prices vary but are not that high. Your main income will still be selling players. I currently play with UTA Arad. Started in the 2nd division and got promoted the first year. I'm now in 2027 and going strong. I buy cheap african players (<100k) and sell them a couple of seasons later for 3-4 million. Except for the ones that really shine. Those I keep. It's an enjoyable save.

Exclusively play MLS, and always select to play as Toronto FC. I get the most enjoyment from the game by snatching up young Brazilian players and having them play for Canada after a couple of years. In FM10 many of the players I signed in the initial transfer window on frees went on to form the nucleus of the Canadian national team...and even went on to win the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

I mostly manage in England, just because I understand all of the rules and know all about the league structures. I also like how there is a potential trip to Wembley for all the teams in the structure, (play offs, FAT, JPT, Carling Cup, FA Cup) whereas some domestic tropheys are dominated by the 'big-hitters

I did have a very good hotseat game where I was in the bottom spanish division, think it was 08. Took CF Gava (a catalan club that played in blue and red stripes) eventually to La Liga and cemented myself as a mid table side. Highlight of that was playing Valencia in a two legged cup tie, and lost 3-2 to a 90th min goal in the second leg (whilst I was in the 2nd div) and also beating Real Madrid 1-0 away in my first season in the top flight. Good times indeed

Had several half season games, but never really got into them. Germany, greece (moved to an English club after about 6 months), turkey, belguim

Would like to try managing in Russia one day. Mexico by the sounds of it could be fun aswell! Will maybe have to break the mould soon

Of what I've played so far in FM11, I think I like Portugal best. Apart from the "big 3", the leagues are pretty balanced and it always feels like any team has a shot at promotion if they have a good run.

Also enjoyed my time in Holland, but I've only done a single season there.

Currently playing around in Malaysia, and it's a very different experience. Restriction of zero foreign players so you definitely have to take a different approach. Somewhat refreshing.

I really liked Switzerland; there's practically no summer break, but there's a long winter break where you can schedule friendlies to make extra cash. It'll let you register 10 foreign players, too, which is pretty generous, and it's not terribly hard to break into the Champions League. Plus, there are only ten teams, so you get to actually learn the league a bit (you play everyone four times in a season).

Just don't play as Vaduz; they'll never make the CL.

What's happened with the German research then?

It went Nazi. As in radically low attributes for players who are supposed to play in one of the top divisions in Europe. Take the Romanian striker Ciprian Marica for example. His finishing is 8, composure is 6, and off-the-ball is 8. Way too low for someone who's scored almost 1 out of 3 international caps, as well as playing regularly for Stuttgart, who tops their group in the Europa Cup this year. Bayern's Thomas Mueller was another player whose attributes got shafted before the 11.3 patch. I have no problem with the CA/PA of the players; it's the weird attributes that make me mad.

Guest nik1313

I like Switzerland's servet,basel etc Romania's steaoua Portugal's braga Belgium's anterlecht Holland's feyenord.

with patch 11.2 i specialised in brazilian transfer market, purchasing players from 2nd division's teams like ASA

these, for short term saves where next jobs come straight from top clubs epl

Now, I m about to start my sunday league, unempl save with 15-20 nations open plus 3nd divisions.

free time needed!

*some mexican dmidfielders are like regens...freekick 17,positioning 2:P

Portugal, Brazil, England, Holland, Germany, mostly. And some times Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Argentina. I starting to get some interest in Mexico and some lower leagues around the world but never managed there.

Meanwhile, it's possible to finish in mid-table and go down [in Mexico].

Another key difference is the relegation system... the league calculates an "average points" (per game) for each team over the past few years and uses that to annually relegate the bottom team on that average points list. Meaning, if you have one bad season and finish bottom of the table, you may escape relegation if your other finishes are better.

I have to admit I'm quite boring when it comes to where I play. England & Germany are my usual haunts but I have done Italy & Switzerland in FM11. In the past I have tried Brazil, France & Scotland. Oh and Sweden once but most of those only lasted a season at most. I want to have a really good long term game somewhere different but I can never decide on a country and "settle down" so to speak. I have a really poor laptop so it can only ever be a one country save unfortunately

I always start with Manchester United as they're my team but I usually win everything in sight in around 3 seasons and get bored and, due to my specs, I can only load around 4 nations but I am interested in these:

Russia due to the fact that it is nicely structured and is emerging as a powerhouse in world football.

Germany because of the amount of teams who can win the Bundesliga.

Portugal because there is some decent money there and

Scotland as I'd love to build a mid table SPL side into an old-firm toppling powerhouse :)

Archived