Direct Free Kicks

Ever scored any?

I'm 28 games into my first season, with Newcastle in the Prem. I think we've scored one. The most have been scored by Arsenal (3).

Common theme or am I doing something wrong?

Who do you have for FK taker? The taker needs high FK, long shot, and technique attributes to pull off a goal. Goalie with poor positioning also helps.

For those who want to compare with real life, PaulC stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago that there is 1 direct free kick scored in every 20 matches in the (real life) premiership - so 1 in 24 isn't far off that.

Anyone who is still on 11.1 (rather than 11.2) - yes there were too few DFKs scored.

For those who want to compare with real life, PaulC stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago that there is 1 direct free kick scored in every 20 matches in the (real life) premiership - so 1 in 24 isn't far off that.

Anyone who is still on 11.1 (rather than 11.2) - yes there were too few DFKs scored.

No he didn't

He said 1/20 was still wrong but they cant do anything to improve it until they work more on ball physics.

And 1/24 is pretty far off. That is over a sample of 190 games, which is quite a lot.

Ever scored any?

I'm 28 games into my first season, with Newcastle in the Prem. I think we've scored one. The most have been scored by Arsenal (3).

Common theme or am I doing something wrong?

<My opening game was 5-2 in the championship and then next 3-1

Just had an absolute travesty.

Against Chelsea in the CL. Lose 2-0 to 2 long range free kicks. It's an absolute joke. No one can score a free kick. But Chelsea get 2 in one game. And I miss sitters of course. And to top it all off, one of my top DCs is out for 6 weeks. Its too much at times. What a joke.

Come to think of it... I'm willing to bet I have scored less than five in six seasons. You know what, make that less than three. At first I wanted to say none at all and I was pretty convinced that would be right, but then I started thinking about it and wasn't sure. Still, don't really score directly from free kicks. Set pieces, sure, sometimes, not often, but a direct shot? Not really. Now I don't have Juninho or Ronaldo but I would expect at least a couple of goals I guess?

• 1 month later...

15 games into my latest season, only one team has scored more than a goal (2) from a DFK... and that's QPR. The vast majority of teams haven't scored a single DFK, including my team. Telling players to disrupt the wall doesn't seem to work, I never see my players near the wall.

Hopefully looked at for the next patch...

I was thinking this last night when the DFK stat came up whilst the game was processing

25 games in & 7 have been scored

25 games x 20 teams/ 2 (for the 2 teams in a match)

250 games played / 7 DFKs scored = One every 35 games

A tad low looking at it unless I've screwed up the maths

I just signed a player who's scored at least 3 in about 15, and another with 2 in 10 (despite not being free kick taker). So yes, they do get scored.

However I hardly scored any when my free kick takers were pants, which isn't particularly surprising.

The question is, is it a lack of DFK goals or a lack of DFKs awarded in goalscoring positions that is the real issue? I have to admit that I don't see many given, and the ones that are seem to have a pretty high conversion rate, but I only watch key highlights at the moment, so maybe others are given and not scored.

Would be interesting if someone did some analysis on this.

SOME EPL STATS FOR ANYONE INTERESTED

as of Feb 3 2011, Matches Played(DFK Goals)

west ham 25(0)

birmingham 23(0)

chelsea 24(2)

liverpool 25(1)

wolves 24(0)

man utd 24(0)

wigan 25(1)

blackburn 25(0)

tottenham 24(0)

bolton 25(1)

stoke 24(0)

sunderland 25(0)

newcastle 24(0)

arsenal 24(0)

man city 25(1)

wba 24(0)

everton 24(0)

blackpool 24(0)

villa 25(1)

fulham 25(1)

8 in 244 matches

=> 0.03 per match

Source: http://www.sponsorship.barclays.co.uk/barclaysfc/bfc-about/publications/statement/pdf/No24_Statement_030211.pdf

as of may 9 2010

arsenal 37(3)

fulham 37(2)

villa 37(0)

blackburn 37(0)

bolton 37(2)

birmingham 37(4)

burnley 37(2)

tottenham 37(2)

chelsea 37(3)

wigan 37(2)

everton 37(2)

portsmouth 37(1)

hull 37(3)

liverpool 37(0)

man utd 37(3)

stoke 37(0)

west ham 37(1)

man city 37(3)

wolves 37(0)

sunderland 37(1)

34 in 370 matches

=> 0.09 per match

Source: http://www.sponsorship.barclays.co.uk/barclaysfc/bfc-about/publications/statement/pdf/Issue_36_9May10.pdf

Combined: 42 DFK goals in 614 matches =>0.07 per match

FM SOAK STATS

11.2 = 0.05

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/231054-Official-FM2011-Match-Engine-Feedback-Thread?p=6269777&viewfull=1#post6269777

I didn't score a single freekick with my "Dafuge" save until I was in the Championship, which was about 10 years of playing time, so maybe 550 games? That seems very low! My anecdotal suspicion is that there are a lot less direct freekicks scored in the lower leagues, which doesn't seem right. You'd have though, instinctively, that although the ball striker will be less technically skilled, that would broadly be equal to the relative lack of skill of the goalkeeper (positioning, athleticism etc).

• 1 month later...

Archived