Reasons 2008 is a bit rubbish

Just had my last post closed down for saying FM 2008 was crap. Ok "Ter" my reasons are based on the last year of game play. There are too many problems in the gameplay. I have lost count of the times I find myself 3 or 4 goals down in the first 10 minutes of games. You can blame my tactics but the fact remains that this game is meant to simulate real life but even Derby who were the worst prem team in history didn't do that.

Please sort out these problems or this game will continue to dispoint and I will never buy it again. Simple as that. So "Ter" convince me otherwise as I asked in my last post...

The game isn't meant to simulate real life as such. If that was the case, then it would be almost accurate in predicting the leagues. Anyway, the game is a MANAGEMENT simulation, it simulates what COULD happen.

I understand we all have **** seasons, but come on. Stop whining and either do something about your team(s) or do as you say and stop playing.

I have finally given up on this game.

Ok. Bye.

it just isn't fun anymore so i have chucked it in the bin.

Ok. Bye.

But I am open to suggestions - why should't I bin it? What makes this game worth keeping?

Why waste our time? You already "binned" it. Bye.

I agree this wasnt the best of versions. My favourite was the first one I played cm 01/02. Whether you like it or not fm is the best footballmanager around, I cant wait for fm09 and hopefully it will be as good as the older cm versions.

Originally posted by sheffieldred:

Just had my last post closed down for saying FM 2008 was crap. Ok "Ter" my reasons are based on the last year of game play. There are too many problems in the gameplay. I have lost count of the times I find myself 3 or 4 goals down in the first 10 minutes of games. You can blame my tactics but the fact remains that this game is meant to simulate real life but even Derby who were the worst prem team in history didn't do that.

Please sort out these problems or this game will continue to dispoint and I will never buy it again. Simple as that. So "Ter" convince me otherwise as I asked in my last post...

wah wah wah...

another year , another moan about ' im always losing! its so unrealistic!' ...

but lets be constructive shall we...

"but even derby....."

what do you want? a game that follows real life results exactly?, ITS A GAME! .. a simulation! ... if you keep losing.. its you, and not the game mate.. so id suggest yes, bin it , go play something less taxing... tiddlywinks for example....

"convince me otherwise..."

why would he want to do that? theres nothing anywhere near as wrong with the game as you make out...

name me one game that isnt released without bugs?.... if FM has more then most its only because it has ten times the complexity of data then all games out there... the pure amount of data is boggling...

name me one other company who takes as much time to listen to their fans and customers as SI? .. they release comprehensive patches until the bulk of any bugs found are solved... and mark my words... bugs are a certainty, ask any programmer.. no amount of alpha testing solves that..

Originally posted by sheffieldred:

And that is just the tip of the ice berg in terms of the game play problems, and if you read other posts on this forum I dfon't think I am alone in voicing my concerns.

Please leave these forums with all due haste. You're obviously better than this game deserves and I don't think you should waste your time here anymore.

I won't throw the identikit 'it's your tactics' rant in here (it probably is though, I might add).

Anyhoo, if 'I lose a lot' is just the tip of the iceberg, please please please list the rest of this iceberg. I'd suggest firing out any actual problems with the game and not just the fact you've just lost 5-3 after going 2-0 up, or something.

Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have finally given up on this game.

Ok. Bye.

it just isn't fun anymore so i have chucked it in the bin.

Ok. Bye.

But I am open to suggestions - why should't I bin it? What makes this game worth keeping?

Why waste our time? You already "binned" it. Bye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for wasting our time with your enlightened reply

I understand your frustrations, mate, but instead of bashing the game, it would be wiser and better for the makers to make a constructive critique of it instead of just a silly old rant.

There are times where I hate this game, but there are times when I love it.

The game can only get better by having constructive criticism and feedback thrown at SI so they can actually see what they are in need of improving, not just "this game sucks, make it better".

Either way, give it more time and see if you can turn things around.

The only areas I am not as impressed with on this evolution are:

1) Confidence bug, but it has not really effected me.

2) Unrealistic expectations of the board, just because I won the Champions league last year, don't get your bum in your hands because I only get the the semi final this year.

3) Transfer system needs a little more work, not much, but it is difficult to get the AI to agree a price on a player they don't want to sell, even if that player wants to go to you. I offer 20 million for a player worth 12million, they say they want 35 million. I offer 25 million, they now want 40 million. I offer 35 million, they now want 50 million. Hang on, you only wanted 35 million 3 days ago? What is up with that?

4) Challenge keeper bug, only match engine bug I have encountered, shame it was missed in testing.

Apart from that, everything is working great in this version for me.

I would not of played for so many hours if it was not a great game.

Originally posted by The Lambs:

2) Unrealistic expectations of the board, just because I won the Champions league last year, don't get your bum in your hands because I only get the the semi final this year.

3) Transfer system needs a little more work, not much, but it is difficult to get the AI to agree a price on a player they don't want to sell, even if that player wants to go to you. I offer 20 million for a player worth 12million, they say they want 35 million. I offer 25 million, they now want 40 million. I offer 35 million, they now want 50 million. Hang on, you only wanted 35 million 3 days ago? What is up with that?

4) Challenge keeper bug, only match engine bug I have encountered, shame it was missed in testing.

People continue to rant about the game being rubbish, but Lambs's comments really are the main problems. And not many of them are unworkable.

Sheffieldred's comments are just typical of lazy gamers not prepared to put in the work and understand the game. Yes, FM is supposed to be a sim, but it will never, ever be 100% realistic. It will always be simply a representation, and an imperfect one at that, hence why I always refer to it as a game.

We need to highlight genuine issues in the bugs forum and continue to upload games to highlight them. But if you don't like the game - and I refer to the bits that work - stick it on ebay and don't buy the next installment.

To be honest I think this year's version is the worst one yet. I've played them all since CM 97/98 and this is the only one I've not been able to get into.

The confidence system needs sorting out. I hate the way the fnas don't like a signing when he is one for the future and you don't play him immediately.

Another things that winds me up is the transfers. No way would Arsenal ever spend £27m on Adrian Mutu. Wenger just wouldn't do it. This should be looked at. Transfers should be made in keeping with the team's style and manager's past history regarding transfers. Too many unrealistic transfers happen. Denilson to Barca for £30m when he's 20?

The best thing about the game is the look. This years FM looks the best, just a shame about the game itself.

Overall, the game just isn't fun at the moment. I do hope FM09 is better because I used to love playing these games!

there's also the shoot straight at keeper from 2 meters thing. and the controversy that has to be there every other game... just had 3 goals disallowed in a match i won (don't really care if i win or lose, but it does overod it sometimes) i mean...cummon, just because its te best of existing games on the market, doesn't mean it isn't a dissapointment

Well, I'm not complaining. My first season with Eastleigh ended up with promotion (which I didn't really wanted). But my players thought differently and won by play-offs.

Funny how people complains about this and that. Sure, I lost vital games by 2-6 and 0-5 where the opp's kicked goals on every chance they had and if that wasn't enough we helped them with a couple of own goals. Then on the other hand, the win against the league-winner at home by 6-0 just baffled me. We lost the promotion-race by one single point and I can find quite a few games where I should've managed it better.

Fortunately, by the time of the play-offs I understood my players a bit better and they played as I wanted them to. (well, winning the playoff final by a 80th minute dubious penalty, doesn't take the shine away).

My very good keeper (loanie) let in at least 4 goals by giving the ball away.

My AMC/FW kicked an amazing 30+ goals with a finishing-rate of 4 and composure just above that?

Both of my best CD's managed to get sent off 3 times each during the season. Not including they both got banned twice I think for yellows.

So I'm not complaining about this version at all, I'm actually quite happy after one week of playing.

Ive been trying to work out fm 08 for a while now following and looking at what other people have put on the forums regarding problems and how they deal with them. I seem to have developed a system and tactic which is currently working for me. However what annoys me the most about fm 08 is the fact that sometimes the ai going 4-2-4 can't be controlled. This being because for those who adapt the tactics to combat it find that the flipping tactic takes ages to implement giving the ai plenty of time to score on occasions. In real life teams can switch formation/tactic/mentality etc instantly as its something they work on in training. Its something that drives me crazy when teams get cheap goals because it takes so long. In one case it took 15 mins match time for the tactic to change and saw me going from 2-0 to 2-2 just cause it went 4-2-4 and then when it does eventually change that tactic becomes useless meaning i have to change again taking more time. FM 08 isn't perfect by far but its the best football management sim out there. Maybe if cm and fifa manager raise their game it would force SI to raise the bar quite alot and im sure they easily could if they wanted too.

Ive been trying to work out fm 08 for a while now following and looking at what other people have put on the forums regarding problems and how they deal with them. I seem to have developed a system and tactic which is currently working for me. However what annoys me the most about fm 08 is the fact that sometimes the ai going 4-2-4 can't be controlled. This being because for those who adapt the tactics to combat it find that the flipping tactic takes ages to implement giving the ai plenty of time to score on occasions. In real life teams can switch formation/tactic/mentality etc instantly as its something they work on in training. Its something that drives me crazy when teams get cheap goals because it takes so long. In one case it took 15 mins match time for the tactic to change and saw me going from 2-0 to 2-2 just cause it went 4-2-4 and then when it does eventually change that tactic becomes useless meaning i have to change again taking more time. FM 08 isn't perfect by far but its the best football management sim out there. Maybe if cm and fifa manager raise their game it would force SI to raise the bar quite alot and im sure they easily could if they wanted too.

Agree with that Smudge, changing formation should happen as soon as you confirm it, irl it doesn't involve waiting for the next stoppage to implement as does a substitution.

I don't see why people keep threatening to 'Never' buy the game again. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. Simple as. No need to complain in here, I for one would love GQ to be a better place, and imo the only way that is going to happen is if we don't get these kind of threads.

Some people just can't handle criticism of this game. It is all quite cringeworthy at times.

It's the best football management sim on the market but it's not as good as people make it out to be. I do play it and enjoy playing it, although sometimes the unrealistic events that it is packed with takes the fun out of it. FM09 needs to be a drastic improvement.

CM 01/02 was by far the best and most fun to play. I actually feel sorry for the people who weren't fans of the series at that time, because that was the daddy. It's a shame they missed out on the greatest game the genre has ever produced.

Some people just can't handle criticism of this game. It is all quite cringeworthy at times.

It's the best football management sim on the market but it's not as good as people make it out to be. I do play it and enjoy playing it, although sometimes the unrealistic events that it is packed with takes the fun out of it. FM09 needs to be a drastic improvement.

CM 01/02 was by far the best and most fun to play. I actually feel sorry for the people who weren't fans of the series at that time, because that was the daddy. It's a shame they missed out on the greatest game the genre has ever produced.

Agree. At least there is no much difference between recent versions. The game experience is getting boring.

@kevin chn

If you're wondering why I'm listed as visiting your profile it's because I'm used to clicking the name in the thread to see the last post but with the new forum it brings me to the user's profile page. So I haven't started stalking you.....................................yet :D

Sorry for going off topic :)

Ok. Bye.

Ok. Bye.

Why waste our time? You already "binned" it. Bye.

Your comments are completely unnecessary. If you can't add to his discussion with intelligent comments, rather than those that make you seem like a 8 year old, perhaps you shouldnt comment at all.

CM 01/02 is a true classic that should never been forgotten.

I did not realize that I can now edit my own post.

Sorry for double posting.

Yes we can finally edit :D. CM 01/02 was the first management sim i had. Was only 10 at the time but loved that game. Still could never go back to it considering the developments and progress which have been made. Just thinking now though im not sure if I was 10 with fm 08 being my first game i would have appreciated it as much. I dont know what it is but CM 01/02 was special.

Sorry but FM08 is by far the best footie management game ever and FM09 will be even better!

Whs

Every year the game just gets better. A lot of people mention the regen issue but as it affects EVERY regen its not an issue as it leads to an even playing field in the end.

Cannot wait for FM09

Sorry but FM08 is by far the best footie management game ever and FM09 will be even better!

Agreed, but then that does mean the game is all that good either. It is just better than the rest of the poor games within the genre.

And fingers crossed FM09 is better. Doubt it, especially after the last 2 editions have seen very little improvement in innovation and progress. Fingers crossed that they eventually sort out the joke that is the transfer system!

yeah for me the transfer system still needs a bit of tweaking , what he says above (number 3) is exactly what happens to me does seem a bit strange , i mean if it was a big club not wanting to sell then maybe , but small clubs with not much money would sell there best players if they got a good offer , valuations for me are still to high on most players

the main problem i've found is, like others have mentioned, there aren't massive changes between different versions of fm.

in fm2008 they added a transfer centre, which doesn't really change the game a hell of a lot more, they only did it so that people would buy the newer version rather than getting updates of fm2007.

i always have and will buy fm, but the next version does need a few big changes, just to freshsen it up a bit

i think this thread is mis-named. surely it should be called, 'my tactics and squad are so terrible'. yes sometimes teams score a few quick goals against you, but who were you playing? are you derby against arsenal? if teams can score 3 goals in ten minutes, who says it isn't going to be the first ten? stop whining and get a better squad, and better tactics.

the main problem i've found is, like others have mentioned, there aren't massive changes between different versions of fm.

in fm2008 they added a transfer centre, which doesn't really change the game a hell of a lot more, they only did it so that people would buy the newer version rather than getting updates of fm2007.

i always have and will buy fm, but the next version does need a few big changes, just to freshsen it up a bit

The transfer centre is just the old transfer screen on one screen rather than using a drop down menu to flick through it.

Added in FM08:

Coaches report on players- good, works well.

Confidence- good idea, works badly.

Match engine overhaul- worse than the last ME. Sure, full backs over lap, but set pieces are messed up, it's not as smooth, and it's less realistic IMO.

Skin- worse than last skin (but I won't go into that)

Ass man tells you best youth rather than second best team- I'd rather have both tbh ;). A nice touch.

Scouts report back after scouting a country/region/competition- works well, good idea.

The ME ruins the game for me- 07 was better, but 08 isn't terrible

knob. if you dont like it dont play it

Genius. I wish we had all thought to call him a knob. Really makes your comments worth reading.

The manners of some of you on this board are really quite shocking. If you disagree with someones comments, you should put some thought into a counter argument and discuss it. Name calling just shows a lack of intelligence and manners and should result in a ban.

Ahh, 3 weeks away, a new forum and yet still the same old pointless moans.

Anyone who's complaint is that they regularly go 3-4 goals down within 10 minutes but who at the same time is adament that it has less to do with their tactics and more to do with problems with the game is a fool. IT'S YOUR TACTICS. If it wasn't then everyone would be shipping 3-4 goals in the opening 10 mins of each game, and that clearly is not the case.

You then argue that this game is supposed to represent real life and use Derby as an example. Well the simple fact is, if you put a numpty who knows nothing about tactics in charge of Derby they probably would get hammered 4 or 5-0 every game. But instead they employ managers with years of knowledge and experience to ensure that doesn't happen. Real life goes out the window when your allowed to take charge of a footy team mate.

I agree, FM08 is a bit rubbish - especially compared to FM07. The fact is, the games are fixed. You can be closing in on the title race, then you suddenly lose at home to Derby County, letting in the most ridiculous of goals. Then when you look at the other results that day, you notice the team that was top lost or drew. Basically, no matter what tactics you used, how you set up your team or how much better I was than the opposition, I was not going to win that match because FM08 decided my team wasn't ready to go top. This happens frequently.

Other stupid things happen too, you spend weeks setting up tactics and then players simply do idiotic things for no reason. There's not enough consistency - if you buy the best players you expect some sort of consistency - not perfection.

I don't buy the idea that because it's a simulation anything can happen and it doesn't have to be realistic. Any game that goes into as much depth as FM08 should be as realistic as possible - and when realism loses the plot, the game becomes pretty much worthless.

FM07 was bar far the most realistic of the series, if you were at a big club bought the best players, had a brilliant team and played with intelligent tactics - you won trophies. On this game, it all counts for sh*t. It's easier to win the FA cup with a non-league side than win it with Arsenal - because the match engine declares that there are upsets in the FA Cup and Arsenal will be the victim.

Archived