Favourite Formations

Just wondering what everyones favourite formations are. I have always gone with the 4-1-2-1-2 formation. Very rarely if ever do I use wingers. Not sure why just seams to always work using the 1 anchor man and 1 playmaker/free role player. Even if I take on a team which naturally cant play with this formation I will wheel and deal to make it happen. Do you just play to your teams strenghts or do what I do? Just curious thats all.

4-3-2-1 is maybe my favourite formation (with 3 MC's).

I like to try different formations with different saves though. Particularly if a specific formation is particularly associated with/popular in the country i'm managing at. I think it adds to the realism.

I used the Tactics Creator in FMLive and you end up with three or four stock tactics that you can use depending on the opponent / situation etc...

Limiting yourself to one tactic is a mistake.

Agree with you to a point about the 1 tactic thing but then if your successful with it why not? like i said i adjust to that formation with at least 2 players for every position so feel i can beat anyone with it

varied it depending on the club I was at in early days, then established a 4-3-1-2, 4-4-2 with wingers, and in 09 got offered someone (the only one I've ever taken) initially for central defence but when I got him I decided to use him in his 'natural' DM position so converted to a sort of 4-1-1-2-2, with a 'Y' shaped midfield if that makes any sense. A friend has actually created one that crowds one side with a Wing back, wide midfielder and winger, with only a full back on the other flank. There have been a few alterations in the last position, almost always GK-LB, CB, CB, RWB, DM, RM, AMR, FW, FW with the last position being 1st a sweeper (but they're in short supply so that was abandoned), another CB, and more recently either an RB or AMC. I know how it sounds but on the brief stints he's played it with me (the only time he plays FM) it held up pretty well, and last time he was doing badly and switched to it, and his form picked up quite a bit.

I always play 4-4-2, with AMR & AML. I try to adjust my team to that formation.

Primarily this, as well as a wide 4-3-3 (DM-2MC-FLRC). I am prepared to improvise though- see my 3-3-2-1-1, my 2-6-2, my 3-1-3-2-1, my narrow 4-2-2-2...

I use a 4-1-3-2 (DM-3AMC-2ST)

On FM10 I use 4-1-4-1 quite a bit, again with AML&R.

4-1-3-2 [narrow and wide], 4-2-3-1 [with two DMC's in front of the back four] or two CM's in midfield. I am not sure how successful the 4-1-3-2 [wide] would be in FM'10, though. It used to work fairly well around the time of FM'05/07. I may give it a try with the new FM'10.

I have started to play a 4-5-1 in every game i start. I use attacking full backs, a def mid, two attacking central midfielders, two advanced wingers and a big target man. If I play as a big enough team I always buy Artem Milevskyi (spelling) who is perfect for that position and normally only costs around £8-10m. I usually create about 4-5 different versions and some back up alternatives for emergencies.

433 variations and 4312 (3 MC's). I don't like crossing so much, or playing with a big target man. Prefer through balls, and cut-backs for my midfielders, etc.

Having said that, I think I'm in need of making a new 451 formation/tactic, because my defensive/counter-attacking tactic isn't working that well without wingers.

Personally I'm a massive fan of the 4-2-3-1 for my teams, with either 2 DMC's or 2 MC's and then AMR, AML and AMC for attacking. I find this gives width when attacking as well as solidity at the back with cover in the shape of the MC's. Although I have been struggling to find the right balance so far in the FM2010 with my MC's. Has anyone found this a problem? I know that to get past this I just need to keep working to find the right balance, but would be interested to see if anyone else has had problems with their CM pairing

I'll split here from convention.

I like to use a 3-1-4-2 in FM09 and I think it's even more effective in the FM10 demo. There doesn't seem to be a huge number of quality FB's, at least in the demo, so I use 3 CB's, a DM to protect the CB's, 4 in the mid-field and then two up top. I use the two CB's on the edges, with good pace, to mark the opposing strikers and the ML/MR to mark the opposing wide men. Seems to work quite well for me.

I used the Tactics Creator in FMLive and you end up with three or four stock tactics that you can use depending on the opponent / situation etc...

Limiting yourself to one tactic is a mistake.

I feel with the new TI one tactic is the way to go, BECAUSE it is so easy to make wholesale changes with the wizard. So one tactic becomes almost limitless tactics, with a few slight changes Switching between pre-sets was always so annoying as you lose all the little tweaks & OI's added so far in a match. Surely this was the point of the wizard TI? Each to their own I guess.

ive personally always been a fan of the 5-3-2 with wingbacks not even 100% sure why, but maybe i like the versatility of the midfield whilst not reallly comprimising on the defense/wings currently use these variations in the demo :D

3-3-2-2 - wing backs and a DMC

3-2-2-1-2 - DMC has moved into the AMC spot

3-3-2-1-1 - Striker has moved from FC spot to AMC spot

they just give me a lot of freedom i feel :)

I play either 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 because I always find myself with lots of strikers. When I buy a new striker I find it hard to sell my old one as I get caught up in lots of "what if"s. What if I get loads of injuries, what if he pops up and scores the goal for my relegation rivals that sends me down, etc. Strangely this doesn't happen with other positions.

Just wondering what everyones favourite formations are. I have always gone with the 4-1-2-1-2 formation. Very rarely if ever do I use wingers. Not sure why just seams to always work using the 1 anchor man and 1 playmaker/free role player. Even if I take on a team which naturally cant play with this formation I will wheel and deal to make it happen. Do you just play to your teams strenghts or do what I do? Just curious thats all.

I do almost the same; 4-1-2-1-2 formatian with attacking wing backs, anchor man , deep lying midfielder and box to box midfielder , advanced play maker , deep lying striker and a target man.

This is perfect for Milan, I make some modifications according the starting line-up but mainly this is my common strategy, I always use exploit the flanks and wing backs become like wingers.

Agree with you to a point about the 1 tactic thing but then if your successful with it why not? like i said i adjust to that formation with at least 2 players for every position so feel i can beat anyone with it

Nothing wrong with just one formation. I use an attacking 442 as my one and only tactic and I am very succesfull with it. I just make sure my transfer policy reflects my formation. This has never let me down yet!!

I also do not agree with the majority of people who have a home tactic and an away tactic. Why change the tactics. If you have a solid tactic stick with it. You do not see Chelsea or Man Utd changing tactics to suit their own opponent. My philosophy is concentrate on my own team strengths and forget the opposition.

ive personally always been a fan of the 5-3-2 with wingbacks not even 100% sure why, but maybe i like the versatility of the midfield whilst not reallly comprimising on the defense/wings currently use these variations in the demo :D

3-3-2-2 - wing backs and a DMC

3-2-2-1-2 - DMC has moved into the AMC spot

3-3-2-1-1 - Striker has moved from FC spot to AMC spot

they just give me a lot of freedom i feel :)

Totally agree, I have been experimenting this way with FM09 sice August - but the FM10 backroom advice keeps pulling me back to 442/4411/4132. I havent the nerve to go against that at present but the 532 variations will be my first point of call if/when the 442 wheels come off!

Totally agree, I have been experimenting this way with FM09 sice August - but the FM10 backroom advice keeps pulling me back to 442/4411/4132. I havent the nerve to go against that at present but the 532 variations will be my first point of call if/when the 442 wheels come off!

well as real madrid the backroom staf kept telling me 4132 or 4141, but using 5-3-2 varients i finished demo top of la liga, unbeaten beat barca 3-0 athletico 2-1, and qualified for the CL unbeaten, i dunno compared to the 4-4-2s i made it just seems more tidy

4-2-3-1

4-3-1-2

4-3-2-1

4-4-1-1

4-4-2

I usually use variants on 4-3-1-2 nowadays as I have a playmaker-forward and two strikers, one very quick one all-rounder. I also have aggressive wingers capable of playing in the middle as the wider of the 3, and one of my strikers can even do that role as he's a strong chap himself. 4-3-2-1 gives me a bit of movement allowing me to use my nippy forward to try and get into any space left behind. 4-2-3-1 is my defensive tactic. 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 are when things don't go so well and I need to go back to basics - thankfully, I have all the players I need to do all of these tactics.

Archived