Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Zanman777

Ever viewed "Full match" a whole season?

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if you ever viewed the full matches from start to finish of a season. Did you notice you had better results because of it (making better informed decisions, etc)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zanman777 said:

I was wondering if you ever viewed the full matches from start to finish of a season. Did you notice you had better results because of it (making better informed decisions, etc)?

always do, never played any other way so I can't really compare results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did this only in FM13 though for not a whole Season but till i had figured out the fundamentals of my tactic and since then i have never watched a full match ever again - "Extended Highlights" give you all the needed Information and be the best balance between Progress and Entertainement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did this for FM14. I always feel I get better results that way. I see more, so I see issues with my tactic that I may never pick up on in a highlights mode.

More importantly, I see how the match is going - how my tactic is functioning in this match against these players and their tactic. I can see when they're pushing for more or when they're going defensive. I can see individual match-up issues that works for or against my team. 

I don't do it anymore because it's time consuming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a guy who I'm sure did this because he also only played 1 game day every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always watch full matches. Playing the game this way lets you learn a lot about how it works. You see how your players and tactics look outside of highlights, which in turn helps in developing new tactics, looking for specific player types and so on.

Makes me really wonder why people only watch highlights. It's as if a manager would come out to the bench only when his team is in the penalty area, and then go back to his office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always play this way, I get through around 3-4 seasons per edition and newgens are wasted on me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prej said:

I always watch full matches. Playing the game this way lets you learn a lot about how it works. You see how your players and tactics look outside of highlights, which in turn helps in developing new tactics, looking for specific player types and so on.

Makes me really wonder why people only watch highlights. It's as if a manager would come out to the bench only when his team is in the penalty area, and then go back to his office.

Cause it's a game mate not real life. If you can win trebles and go from Vanarama to Premier with extended highlights only why would you bother watching 90min games? Not only are they boring and unrealistic, but it's not even needed and means you'll take forever to finish a season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did until FM15.

Then I started having less time and switched to comprehensive mode. I still play almost every game in comprehensive mode, sometimes I switch to full match if I need to spot an issue and if it is a cup game or friendly and I saw what I needed to see or we are winning by several goals, I might switch to highlight mode.

If you want to spot problems with your tactic, this is the way to watch the 3D match. If you don't do this and complain something is wrong, then that's on you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I like going deep into saves and watching young players develop, so it's not really practical for my game style. 

However, early on in a save, or if I've just taken over a team, I'll usually watch the matches on full or comprehensive until I know how the tactic works then switch it to extended for the rest of the season. I only ever use key highlights for meaningless games at the end of a season if I'm not experimenting with tactics. 

On this edition though, I'm thinking of moving to comprehensive full time. Extended isn't really showing enough for me this year. I just need to weigh up the time factor now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to only play games in full. It's not just that you don't get enough information from watching highlights, it also feels wrong.

But yeah, I'm getting older, I have to admit that I won't have the time to do everything I'd like to, so now it's full games early in the season, when I'm building a new team, and during important matches, otherwise it's "comprehensive highlights".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time doesn't allow unfortunately for me unless its a Cup Final or a game with something massive at stake, then I'll watch the full 90.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually watch all the matches until I'm satisfied with my tactics. Then, barring major games, I'll switch to comprehensive highlights.

If I find my tactics are no longer working, I'll go back to watching the full game until I'm happy with them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember doing a one-season save with Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga where I played the entire season on full match. I think this was on FM16 or 17. It was quite enjoyable, although it encouraged me to tinker a bit too much. I don't think it's something I'd do again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Prej said:

I always watch full matches. Playing the game this way lets you learn a lot about how it works. You see how your players and tactics look outside of highlights, which in turn helps in developing new tactics, looking for specific player types and so on.

Makes me really wonder why people only watch highlights. It's as if a manager would come out to the bench only when his team is in the penalty area, and then go back to his office.

Time constraints.  Plain and simple.

Your example is kind of ridiculous as a real life manager would of course watch the whole game - that is his job.

Most people prefer to be able to progress further in the game world's timeline than watch every single moment of every match.

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Prej said:

Makes me really wonder why people only watch highlights. It's as if a manager would come out to the bench only when his team is in the penalty area, and then go back to his office.

Because it is a game. People have not got the time to sit through 3 or 4 full matches per day. Plus watching 90 plus minutes of match engine with, lets face it poor graphics quality is hardly like watching real life Premier League football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great we have the options, no point being critical of a players preference one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always watch every match in full. No other way to see if your little pixel people are really doing what they are supposed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Your example is kind of ridiculous as a real life manager would of course watch the whole game - that is his job.

Talking about a game that simulates the job of a football manager. Sure, why would you want to do what he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prej said:

Talking about a game that simulates the job of a football manager. Sure, why would you want to do what he does.

As many have said, time constraints.

Not everyone has the time to watch 90 minutes or more of a match at a time, which even if you speed things up a bit is a significant amount of time for a single match.

Yes, it means you may miss things, but that's what the stats and heat maps help to fill in for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually watch the full match as well, whenever I can. I use a trick, thouh. I assign the keys "1", "2" and "3" to slow, normal and fast match speed, respectively. As I'm watching the match I alternate between speeds. For example, when a keeper baloons the ball forward, I press 3 then 2 again (to speed up the golf-like trajectory of the ball).

Spares me a bit of time. 

 

44 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

As many have said, time constraints.

Not everyone has the time to watch 90 minutes or more of a match at a time, which even if you speed things up a bit is a significant amount of time for a single match.

Yes, it means you may miss things, but that's what the stats and heat maps help to fill in for you.

I have a hard time making sense of the stats and heat maps, to be honest. Only by watching the match can I tell, for example, if players are losing the ball because they have no one to pass to or if they lose the ball because they suck at passing (hence giving away the ball to the opposition). This kind of details is what I never figure out how to read between the lines in stats. Or they take a lot more guessing and imagination for me whenever I'm watching a number sheet.

Frankly, I feel I've alway sucked at reading number walls.  Thank God Football Manager is becoming less and less a number wall...

Edited by Zanman777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha I don't even watch real matches in full. It's either highlights, on demand so I can skip through, or I'm doing something else in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Prej said:

Talking about a game that simulates the job of a football manager. Sure, why would you want to do what he does.

It doesn't though. It's a game that takes a glamourised fictionalised idea of what a 'football manager' (who nearly don't even exist any more) does and makes changes so that it can be made into an enjoyable game.

It's as realistic to management as Call of Duty was to serving in Afghanistan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

It doesn't though. It's a game that takes a glamourised fictionalised idea of what a 'football manager' (who nearly don't even exist any more) does and makes changes so that it can be made into an enjoyable game.

It's as realistic to management as Call of Duty was to serving in Afghanistan.

You better hop on Wikipedia then and delete that "football management simulation game" entry, could be rather misleading.

Also, expecting a simulator to be as realistic as real life is pretty far fetched and I don't think anyone is looking for that when buying a video game of any genre.

Of course you could make your Call of Duty experience more immersive by having someone shoot at you while you play. Give it a try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prej said:

Talking about a game that simulates the job of a football manager. Sure, why would you want to do what he does.

If I was being paid to do it as my full time job, sure, the least I could do is watch the full match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Prej So you've changed your mind?

Your original stance:

4 hours ago, Prej said:

Talking about a game that simulates the job of a football manager. Sure, why would you want to do what he does.

Your new stance:

3 minutes ago, Prej said:

expecting a simulator to be as realistic as real life is pretty far fetched and I don't think anyone is looking for that when buying a video game of any genre.

Which is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, git2thachoppa said:

Which is it?

Both.

It simulates the job of a football manager, but obviously not with real life accuracy. Just like any other simulation game on the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Prej said:

Both.

It simulates the job of a football manager, but obviously not with real life accuracy. Just like any other simulation game on the market.

No, your stance on the guy's attitude toward it.

In the first you ridicule someone who explains to the guy that it's a manager's job to watch the whole game, so most game players aren't going to feel compelled to do it, because you feel it "simulates the job of a manager" so of course you'd want to treat it realistically.

But then you say "expecting a simulator to be as realistic as real life is pretty far fetched and I don't think anyone is looking for that" immediately after encountering someone who looks for that (and in reply to me who you're agreeing with, yet want to disagree with!)

Edited by git2thachoppa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

No, your stance on the guy's attitude toward it.

In the first you ridicule someone who explains to the guy that it's a manager's job to watch the whole game, so most game players aren't going to feel compelled to do it, because you feel it "simulates the job of a manager" so of course you'd want to treat it realistically.

But then you say "expecting a simulator to be as realistic as real life is pretty far fetched and I don't think anyone is looking for that" immediately after encountering someone who looks for that (and in reply to me who you're agreeing with, yet want to disagree with!)

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand what you're getting at anymore. Either I'm too stupid for long and winding sentences, or there's something wrong with your perception of this discussion. Could be both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Prej said:

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand what you're getting at anymore. Either I'm too stupid for long and winding sentences, or there's something wrong with your perception of this discussion. Could be both.

Feel free to ask like a normal person.

Try and go one post without taking jabs. Or move your confidence issues elsewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Feel free to ask like a normal person.

I think this discussion has run its course since I feel we've started missing each other's points.

 

Quote

Try and go one post without taking jabs.

Been there. Still, starting a discussion by calling someone's arguments "ridiculous" is never a good ice breaker.

 

Quote

Or move your confidence issues elsewhere.

Don't think I have any, but always striving to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Prej When being suspected of being an 'internet arguer' stereotype disagreeing with everyone, and challenged to last just one post without jabs... the worst reaction is to then break it up into little quotes going on about "arguments" and "points"...

Edited by git2thachoppa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

@Prej When being suspected of being an 'internet arguer' stereotype disagreeing with everyone, and challenged to last just one post without jabs... the worst reaction is to then break it up into little quotes going on about "arguments" and "points"...

Oh boy. Sure thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Prej said:

Oh boy. Sure thing.

And then the internet arguer tries to get the last word...

Watch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost. All comprehensive, including friendlies. Took me 3.5years to play 7 seasons. Even watched players I scouted. Deffo my most successful save, had a blip in the middle too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Declan Cahill said:

Almost. All comprehensive, including friendlies. Took me 3.5years to play 7 seasons. Even watched players I scouted. Deffo my most successful save, had a blip in the middle too

I've been watching the full matches on a brand new safe. I can play about 1-2 matches per day. Haven't even left pre-season yet lmao! But I'm getting a much better insight into my team, my tactics, etc. So far it's being enjoyable, let's see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zanman777 said:

I've been watching the full matches on a brand new safe. I can play about 1-2 matches per day. Haven't even left pre-season yet lmao! But I'm getting a much better insight into my team, my tactics, etc. So far it's being enjoyable, let's see.

Deffo worth it if you plan on doing a long save. I'm just starting my long term save now. I'm happy to just play 1 match, I found if I binge play games it become a bit boring, especially on touch when you just sim the pre season, I tend to do that to just see what works. Then I proper go for it. Won't be getting FM again now until at least fm24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Declan Cahill said:

Deffo worth it if you plan on doing a long save. I'm just starting my long term save now. I'm happy to just play 1 match, I found if I binge play games it become a bit boring, especially on touch when you just sim the pre season, I tend to do that to just see what works. Then I proper go for it. Won't be getting FM again now until at least fm24

It's refreshing to see people here who don't buy ever year's FM version as well. Which FM do you play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zanman777 said:

It's refreshing to see people here who don't buy ever year's FM version as well. Which FM do you play?

Fm16, from release day until end of September 2019. Took a month off, started FM 20 about a week and a bit ago. Full FM doesn't run great so just been playing touch on pc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2019 at 17:28, Zanman777 said:

I was wondering if you ever viewed the full matches from start to finish of a season. Did you notice you had better results because of it (making better informed decisions, etc)?

Always. Am currently midway through my 5th season of a Journeyman save on FM2019 started in Feb this year, have watched every game - including friendlies and some arranged matches between my first team and my reserves. 

I like to make numerous micro-adjustments to my tactics during a game based on my how team is performing. Generally I find this helps results, and not sure I'd have the same results if I watched Key or Comprehensive highlights.

A perfect case in point happened last night. Playing at home, game is tied 1-1. I've had to adopt a Cautious mentality as my side were under pressure for much of the second half. In the 92nd minute (of 94) the ball ends up out of play near the right corner flag in the opposition half. Before the throw is taken, I switch my tactics to "Positive" and "Hit Early Crosses" - figuring there's not enough time for the change in mentality to effect my defensive performance too badly. 

The ball is thrown to my Striker (who has come short, despite instructions to "lurk near post", but that's another matter) who touches it off to my RB. The RB takes a touch before launching a quick cross towards the back post. My LW (brought on as a sub) leaps over the defender and heads the ball into the opposite corner of the goal. The crowd go wild.

Would this have happened had I not made those changes to my tactics? Maybe. I'll never know, but I like to think not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...