Unexpected World Cup Winners

Anyone had an unexpected World Cup winner in their save game?

Mine is one I really was surprised by.

Mali.thumb.JPG.0fe87b644da51b1c0883b6e50399a262.JPG

First African nation to win a World Cup! You'd probably expect Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon or any of the stronger nations in Africa to win a first World Cup for Africa.... but Mali... and in 2022??

5 hours ago, fmonit said:

First African nation to win a World Cup! You'd probably expect Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon or any of the stronger nations in Africa to win a first World Cup for Africa.... but Mali... and in 2022??

I would maybe expect that more so in 2422!

That is crazy to have a low nation win a big tournament that early on.

I think the most surprising World Cup winner I've ever seen is Ukraine - twice (2010 winners on CM00/01, and 2014 winners on FM13). I've also seen Finland lose the 2002 Final on penalties to my England team on CM99/00.

No real surprises on FM19 for me yet, though Cameroon won the 2022 World Cup in a holiday save on FM19 Mobile.

6 hours ago, fmonit said:

Well, Qatar is a darn hot place, so it probably helped Mali against Argentina... Can you see the temperatures?...

In FM18 I had Poland beating England in the 2018 final.

Anyway, did you select France as a playable country? Maybe the game created a lot of half-French/half-Malian regens who aren't good enough for the French NT but who are good enough for the Malian NT.

Also, those finalists are pretty crazy. Messi (possibly) losing another final, then Netherlands losing their fourth and fifth World Cup final before finally winning the World Cup. It also finally came home for England.

Most of the champions i have seem are rather expected or i have seem them growth to be a contender, but seeing Zambia, Venezuela, and guinea bissau get past quarter finals was amazing especially zambia that gone to the final and got crushed by netherlands

9 hours ago, Zek said:

In FM18 I had Poland beating England in the 2018 final.

Anyway, did you select France as a playable country? Maybe the game created a lot of half-French/half-Malian regens who aren't good enough for the French NT but who are good enough for the Malian NT.

Also, those finalists are pretty crazy. Messi (possibly) losing another final, then Netherlands losing their fourth and fifth World Cup final before finally winning the World Cup. It also finally came home for England.

No, only loaded a modified English League down to level 12.

Also, this just happened in the current World Cup I'm playing.

Argentina.thumb.JPG.23c515e1c8a4e7d22b743fe4e1451249.JPG

Argentina as host nation losing against Scotland and Tunisia and not progressing to the Knockout Phase! I don't know what's worse, this one, or Brazil at home losing massively to Germany in the Semi Final in 2014?

hace 5 horas, fmonit dijo:

This was the road to victory for Mali:

1982666670_MaliGroup.thumb.JPG.aa20c85e8e69cd7d8e89064795e387f0.JPG

171492579_Maliknockout.thumb.JPG.6e5e0533558ba09f92c937ddcf9cb72a.JPG

I guess it helped they were in Qatar's group.

Yeah having a rather easy group helped them, but what i found more amusing is that 4 out 5 african nation reached round of 16 and only the top 2 nation in south america reached that phase

On 10/06/2019 at 13:03, fmonit said:

There I fixed it for you! 

eng.thumb.jpg.35d7f86a6ac6736c292a00627280d650.jpg

:brock:

IIRC I once had Wales beating England in the final (might have been the EUROs though, don't remember). Stuff like that you are guaranteed to see in your Career of playing this.

A couple things about this:

- It's a knock-out Competition over but a handful of games+ max. per team. Such a Competition almost guarantees that not always the actually best team competing wins. Even over a league Season, there are surprises that tend to be promptly corrected the follow up season/s for reason, and speaking of which, it doesn't look as if Mali was able to Keep being successful
- Bookies odds even for the real Competition imply signifcant (and real) chances of Outsiders Winning this, oftenly. 
- Connected to this: Familiar with the law of large numbers? Given the amount of World Cups simulated on this, the fairly unlikely should be fairly common place. A one in a hundred or thousand chance may not be much in Isolation; but given that hundreds of thousands are playing this…
- As far as FM is concerned, there is naturally also newgen players that down the road of a save can shake things up a bit. E.g. a Mali PA/CA 200 forward, etc.

It's that "Greece Winning the Euro / Iraq Winning the Asian Cup" story, except that the real world of Football only exists once -- whilst the virtual one as often as you, and I, and all the other lads Restart. :D 

Jist checked my 1 player game and the winners have been...

2022 france

2026 england

2030 germany

2034 england

2038 france

So nothing exciting or extraordinary there....one thing to note though....in 2022 england were eliminated by ukraine who lost in the final.

On 15/06/2019 at 08:13, Svenc said:

- As far as FM is concerned, there is naturally also newgen players that down the road of a save can shake things up a bit. E.g. a Mali PA/CA 200 forward, etc.

That is a possibility. Luckily I have a backup save from December 2022, so I checked what the squad looked like (using FMRTE).

Not a single newgen player in the squad and all their highest CA is 153.

317253937_malisquadfmrte.thumb.JPG.b75bfb6e93ee8964074c7e4e5d07b3c9.JPG

Interestingly enough, they also won the African Nations Cup in 2021. They were ranked 62nd before the African Nations Cup, 36th before the World Cup and 14th after winning the World Cup.

So they're not really a one hit wonder as they also managed to win the African Nations Cup.

I'm now in 2039 and they stayed around 12-16th for quite some time, but now they have dropped again to 35th. They have also won the African Nations Cup again in 2033, and runners-up in 2023 and 2029.

They got to the third round in the WC in 2030 and didn't get past the group stage in 2034.

Their current team's CA/PA is very similar to the squad that won the World Cup.

On 10/06/2019 at 13:03, fmonit said:

This is so annoying, human controlled, this would never happen, yet the a.i can do it...

In my various saves through the years, 2026 always seemed the silliest - in a Finland save on FM15 Australia won the 2026 WC, and on a holiday save on FM18 Bulgaria won it

I also once had El Salvador win the world cup in the 2050s, not sure which year exactly but it was relatively far in the future (FM15)

18 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

This is so annoying, human controlled, this would never happen, yet the a.i can do it...

You must be Living under a rock.

Human players win the leagues in sequence with the most average squads there are, right on this community.

They've been doing this for years and years.

And in a league luck plays less of a role, as it's 30-40 Matches as opposed to a handful+. 

Stats-wise (in-game team report under stats) human players do this by consistently, every season getting their Teams to convert next to 20% of their seasonal shots and upwards into goals, regardless of Team quality.  Whereas in Football in 700 Seasons measured until 2017 there was a total of 10 Teams who had converted over 15% of their shots into Goals -- with the exception of Monaco all of them the serial winner top teams in unabalanced leagues.  So luck isn't overly a factor here at all. You could actually argue that they manage to break the game Football. :DWhich is also why they can repeat this, rather than just getting one-time a bit lucky, a la Mali winning a World Cup (or Leicester Winning the EPL ;) ).

big-teams-conversions.png

• 1 month later...

I can't remember on which version of the game it was, but I've seen Ireland win the World Cup very early on in a save before. They beat Belarus in the final if I remember correctly.

Archived