Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

This forum is for career updates in a factual style.

The stories forum is for a fictional story based around a FM save creating characters, giving depth and background to them with the actual save playing second fiddle.

Getting there, but not all stories have the detail of tenthreeleader's work. Mark Wilson and Faramir write in very game-based ways, as does Donners and Tubey. Now there are differences- Donners' use of pronouns, and Faramir relays his reports back in the style of newspaper articles with manager and assistant commenting, but the stories aren't as fleshed out as percieved.

Currently, the main difference is the inclusion of screenshots in this place, but they're even allowed in FMS as long as they're linked to and are used to aid rather than dominating the story.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SCIAG is right, gentlemen. Dafuge asked Terk and me to look through all of your threads and determine which are 'FMS-like', if you will.

First I should say there is some good writing talent in here, but the fact of the matter is that there are about half a dozen threads which could make the grade in the stories forum. SCIAG is right to say that there are different styles of writing, all of which are acceptable in FMS.

My own writing takes the form of a novel and is thus inappropriate for anyplace EXCEPT the stories forum, but some of the work I've seen here is plenty good.

For me, it all boils down to detail. Individual match writeups, unless short, are in FMS as well. The fact that so many of you use pictures separates you from FMS since you can link to photos in FMS but not post them directly.

Is it the perception of the three of you that all the threads here should be moved to FMS? Or that it should simply be thinned out, with some remaining?

I'm happy for people to make their own choice, I don't plan on moving any threads just because they are better suited for FMS.

If people are choosing to post FMS style threads here, it must be for a reason, possibly because they want to include images or they might want a bit more discussion in their thread.

Agree completely with dafuge. You're trying to sort out your own rules and I was asked for an FMS perspective. As a matter of fact, the 'FMS' threads I mentioned to him would have to be edited to appear in our backwater in the first place. My point was that despite being minimalist in your writing, you've got some talented people and I plan to lurk here from time to time.

Can I start a discussion about discussion?

I'm not sure if this was something that was wanted or not but how do people feel about other people posting in their threads?

Do people want the discussion in their thread about their games or would they prefer people to keep out, to keep all the updates together?

I think that it needs to be down to the thread starter. I'm all for discussion in a thread I start, but if people don't want it in theirs, if they don't want their updates broken up, they could just state that in the OP.

Seconded.

It's reasonably simple to filter through the updates alone.

I am quite happy for people to post their thoughts in my thread! As long as it is regarding my thread, or at least linked to it! but again I would respect people who didn't want me to get in between their updates...

I am quite happy for people to post their thoughts in my thread! As long as it is regarding my thread, or at least linked to it! but again I would respect people who didn't want me to get in between their updates...

My feelings too. I like the idea of people commenting on my thread and vice versa, which IMO adds to the feeling of generating some kind of community within this forum.

I think that it needs to be down to the thread starter. I'm all for discussion in a thread I start, but if people don't want it in theirs, if they don't want their updates broken up, they could just state that in the OP.

I want to get discussion in my thread, in fact i'm trying to encourage it !

<pimp>everyone read my thread and comment!</pimp>

I know this was only a joke but it does raise a serious issue.

Under no circumstances should anyone be spamming any other thread with adverts for their career thread. If it is entirely relevant the there's not a problem with linking to your thread, but please don't advertise for the sake of it (spamming). I've noticed a few people with little adverts in their locations, I've not got a problem with that at all, it is not an issue.

Yeah, I really like this forum. As of yet, there isn't enough feedback for the games :D - Or maybe I only feel that way. Also, even taking what daf has said into consideration, I have a spare post at the beginning of my thread, (it was going to be used for something I now no longer need it for) - so please give my thread a check, and particularly the most current post, asking you guys, the users, for what extra info you would like to see from me on a season basis. :thup:

I am also heavily in favor of discussion in threads. I've refrained from it currently, because I didn't know the ins and outs of the rules for that, but it seems its ok. So I'll be visiting you guys' threads a lot more in the near future :D

Why cant the PA and CA of regen players be revealed, I wont be doing it I just wondered seems a bit strange to me.

For me, I don't want to see how CA/PA relates to in game performance. I want to play the game with no knowledge whatsoever of data that is not designed to be seen by the player.

The other reason is that a total ban is much easier than a partial ban.

I don't see why anyone would need to mention CA/PA anyway. If you are cheating by looking at these values then a ban on mentioning them gives you the chance to keep this quiet.

Getting there, but not all stories have the detail of tenthreeleader's work. Mark Wilson and Faramir write in very game-based ways, as does Donners and Tubey. Now there are differences- Donners' use of pronouns, and Faramir relays his reports back in the style of newspaper articles with manager and assistant commenting, but the stories aren't as fleshed out as percieved.

Indeed, and I would not claim otherwise. I view it as a diary of playing rather than a story in the creative sense. Then again, a formatted layout of data can be sufficiently creative and reflective of original thought to be the basis for copyright, so I would be lothe to divide writing by levels of creativity...

For me, I don't want to see how CA/PA relates to in game performance. I want to play the game with no knowledge whatsoever of data that is not designed to be seen by the player.

The other reason is that a total ban is much easier than a partial ban.

I don't see why anyone would need to mention CA/PA anyway. If you are cheating by looking at these values then a ban on mentioning them gives you the chance to keep this quiet.

As an extension to this issue how do you feel about coaching stars?

Are we allowed to refer to coaches opinions or is this too close to CA/PA?

As an extension to this issue how do you feel about coaching stars?

Are we allowed to refer to coaches opinions or is this too close to CA/PA?

I think that is fine, since it is something that appears in the game and is meant to be seen by the player.

I know when I sign a hot prospect regen I always try to put a screenshot of a scout/coach report up, to give an idea about his potential.

Indeed, and I would not claim otherwise. I view it as a diary of playing rather than a story in the creative sense. Then again, a formatted layout of data can be sufficiently creative and reflective of original thought to be the basis for copyright, so I would be lothe to divide writing by levels of creativity...

Wasn't talking you down at all mate :)

Sounds like most of you want the discussion going on in your threads, which I think is good really.

If there is anyone who doesn't, can I suggest that you mention it in the opening post and use the Mod Requests thread to ask for any deletions that are necessary.

I'd love discussion in mine, not getting much though :D

Won my first trophy :)

Archived