Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week I've had to endure the 'Nils Ali affair', A.K.A. 'Why my chairman is the biggest idiot on FM ever!'

My most recent season saw me comfortably top of Serie B with Verona, all of a sudden I see something in by inbox that would make me spit out my tea if I was drinking any. My Norwegian right-back, who in terms of ratings had been consistently our best player since I signed him a couple of years back, was sold above my head for 1.1M. What makes it extra stupid is that his 'base value' was only 750k and it represented a 500k 'loss', so why the chairman considered it 'too good to turn down' is beyond me. That was quickly followed by another star player but that wasn't quite as bad. I did have plenty of opportunity to buy replacements for both and did so but given the importance of having a settled squad (having made numerous signings that took a while to come together the previous season) they were two additional signings I felt we could do without making.

Fast forward to the summer, having thankfully managed to stay top for the rest of the season and I snatch the opportunity to re-sign Ali again since we're in dire need of a good right-back (though only because he was sold in the first place!) and he's still easily the best player available to us in that position. Unfortunately it was for double what he left for (though 2.2M was still a reasonable price on its own terms) and I suspect that having to spend the extra getting him back played a major role in not having enough left (and having dipped into the red even a few sales wouldn't have been enough) for the final signing I had been looking to get, though it wasn't that high priority and otherwise I had pretty much managed to do what I set out to in terms of getting players in.

All things considered it's one of the more ridiculous situations I've encountered in the game and that's really saying something. Admittedly there was the time I signed an incredible young forward from Brazil but lost him on a free transfer the very same day (as his contract was the exact length of time I had to wait for his move to go through as he wasn't even 16 when I made the deal), eventually signing him again on principle but at least that was entirely my fault.

• 1 month later...
Been a while, but please support EHM: Early Access, if you are a hockey fan!!! :)

I am really tempted to get it, but... i don't think i would have time to play it in a long time.

I only got FM15 last week, so it is pretty much eating my gaming time (which is already limited due to "family responsibilities")...

I am really tempted to get it, but... i don't think i would have time to play it in a long time.

I only got FM15 last week, so it is pretty much eating my gaming time (which is already limited due to "family responsibilities")...

Ignore all the crazy talk and allure of FMCU threads and join the side in SI that is EHM. :p

• 1 month later...

So I was getting messages every couple of weeks about some players due back from their loan to our feeder club. When I looked into it, said players have been at the feeder club for 4 years now ... and their contract with us expired 3 years ago. :D

Reported it to the bugs forum and apparently it's a legacy bug that was fixed for newer saves (my current save was started with the beta) :thdn:

Or like me play both at the same time :)

• 2 months later...

If a few other people are up for it I might. We had one last year (though I think it ended up being more GPTG than FMCU) which was interesting but frustrating (I seemed to have especially bad timing when it came to bringing in form players right when they stopped being good) so I'm otherwise not particularly inclined to do it again.

I don't know if anyone can help me. I love reading the stories here, but this always bugs me.

1. No one seems to talk about tactics. I read all kinds of updates and results and I have no idea how the teams are winning.

2. No one seems to talk about youth intake day. This is one of my favorite things to read about.

These two things are what I like reading about most, and I never see them. Does anyone know any threads off the top of your head that focus more on these things?

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know if anyone can help me. I love reading the stories here, but this always bugs me.

1. No one seems to talk about tactics. I read all kinds of updates and results and I have no idea how the teams are winning.

2. No one seems to talk about youth intake day. This is one of my favorite things to read about.

These two things are what I like reading about most, and I never see them. Does anyone know any threads off the top of your head that focus more on these things?

Hi Rochebag

Very few threads have ever had any sort of tactical theme but you do get people occasionally explaining their tactics in their threads when people ask them to or set them out at the start of a career so if you want to know a particular person's tactical set-up I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask.

A lot of people do post an update for youth intake day, either in a post all to itself or a clearly marked section of one. You especially get them in youth-only careers like Jimbokav's Gibraltar thread. Doing the rounds of the recently updated threads, Cougar's 'I've never played for a draw in my life', Lenzar's 'Double the RAM, Double the Fun?' and KDR's 'Up the Long Ladder' threads have them as well and you probably don't have to dig very far on to find at least a couple more.

I'd say pretty much every thread I've read has had youth intake details. Tactical not so much, although I do remember a particularly good Chelsea thread a while back that really went into the tactics in great detail. Good if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah I always include at least a couple of pics of youth intake day but thats really as far as it goes besides the odd mention for some players.

For those saves that focus on youth its much more relevant but for mine its three/four/five years down the line before the star youngsters start making an impact on the first team by which time I could easily have moved onto another club.

Tactics are a tough one for a career thread as they can change from match to match and if you were to post everything that went on the posts would be far too long. That said I'm always happy to talk about my tactics if anyone asks in the thread although I generally play a fair bit ahead of what I post.

Hi Rochebag

Very few threads have ever had any sort of tactical theme but you do get people occasionally explaining their tactics in their threads when people ask them to or set them out at the start of a career so if you want to know a particular person's tactical set-up I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask.

A lot of people do post an update for youth intake day, either in a post all to itself or a clearly marked section of one. You especially get them in youth-only careers like Jimbokav's Gibraltar thread. Doing the rounds of the recently updated threads, Cougar's 'I've never played for a draw in my life', Lenzar's 'Double the RAM, Double the Fun?' and KDR's 'Up the Long Ladder' threads have them as well and you probably don't have to dig very far on to find at least a couple more.

Thanks. The problem is I'm usually starting reading after there's already 10 pages of updates, so it's usually too late to ask. I'm not looking for tons of information on tactics I just mean like a screenshot of the main shape.

Thanks for the suggestions on the youth I'll check those out!

Namechecked! Fame at last! ;)

RocheBag: Here's a screen of my primary formation (I very, very rarely shift away from it) and 'default' team instructions. (I'm sure a mod will scream in a bit...)

vshKboh.png

The formation's unlikely to change, as I say, but I set individual players up on a per position basis - so the BWM spot may not always hold a BWM, and likewise with the BBM position. I try to keep an AP in that spot, but will use a DLP and alternate duties according to the game situation. The team instructions are also apt to change depending on the opposition team report, areas of relative strength and weakness, and so on (player instructions for the FBs are often changed, too).

Namechecked! Fame at last! ;)

I know the feeling. In the olden days many people credited other users or threads as their inspiration (SRL88 was almost always in there somewhere) so it was quite a feeling the couple of times I was mentioned instead. :D

RocheBag: Here's a screen of my primary formation (I very, very rarely shift away from it) and 'default' team instructions. (I'm sure a mod will scream in a bit...)

The formation's unlikely to change, as I say, but I set individual players up on a per position basis - so the BWM spot may not always hold a BWM, and likewise with the BBM position. I try to keep an AP in that spot, but will use a DLP and alternate duties according to the game situation. The team instructions are also apt to change depending on the opposition team report, areas of relative strength and weakness, and so on (player instructions for the FBs are often changed, too).

As someone who has always been a very casual player (especially tactically) in terms of how 'deeply' I play the game (though I have gradually gotten better and now do start watching games in depth and keeping in mind potential in-match changes) I certainly wouldn't scream, wwfan on the other hand... :D

From what I understand, things have really not going well for him in real life for a while so he stepped down in April saying he was going to have an extended break from the forums but hopes to be back eventually. I really hope he does because it's not quite the same around here without him :(

I would say most people would be happy to answer your queries on tactics on their own threads fella, so don't worry about asking.

As for youth intake, pretty sure most posters include it, and will update on player progress as the years go on.

A few years ago we had a fun game where we split into two teams (England vs Rest of the World), each taking charge of a BSN/S side and taking it in turns within the team to play a season and see which team could reach the top first. Unfortunately it was near the end of the FM year so it didn't last that long due to inactivity of a lot of members but I'm thinking of trying again when FM16 is released (when this place should be more active for a while and we can keep it going for longest) depending on interest. Here is the original thread...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/312478-FM12-Smylie-v-Roberts-England-vs-the-Rest-of-the-World!

I would say most people would be happy to answer your queries on tactics on their own threads fella, so don't worry about asking.

As for youth intake, pretty sure most posters include it, and will update on player progress as the years go on.

RocheBag - Yeah, as Withnail316 said. Any further questions re: my tactics or whatever, just ask in the thread.

From what I understand, things have really not going well for him in real life for a while so he stepped down in April saying he was going to have an extended break from the forums but hopes to be back eventually. I really hope he does because it's not quite the same around here without him :(

Well that's a bit ****. :(

RocheBag.

Someone has already mentioned my thread, so by all means have a look.

I go into quite a lot of detail with regards to the Youth intake and because of the nature of the way I am playing this save, it's very much the focus.

In terms of tactics, I think a lot of people go just a little easy in tactical discussion in here because if you really want an in depth look then at tactical development then the Tactic and Training Guide Forum is really the place to look. In particular I would point you in the direction of the stickied threads and basically anything that has ever been written by Cleon, (he just has a really good style of posting that allows previously very cloudy issues to suddenly become crystal clear). The link to the SI Sportscentre is a good one, but maybe you should read the stickied threads first before going in there.

Having said that, I have recently dipped my toe in the "discussing tactics" pool in my thread. It just seemed that it needed to be discussed because I was having to change stuff. I tend to discuss absolutely anything that pops into my head and rather then play a few months and even seasons ahead of an update, (as seems to be common in many threads), I actually write my updates live as I am playing and try to use as many pictures as I can so that the speed-readers can just glance through the thread and follow it without pouring over all my waffle.

What I would say is that while most people in here wouldn't be interested in uploading their tactic, (for a variety of reasons), they are often more than happy in discussing why they do particular things.

From reading these forums over the years I have picked up loads of little things from loads of different people and it#s helped me create and develop not just the way I play FM, but also the way I post and update threads.

I think it's safe to say that anyone who is going to the trouble of updating a regular career thread, is going to respond positively to any questions about anything, (including tactics), relating to that thread. Those who play considerably ahead of their updates might not be able to provide screenshots to answer your questions, but they will certainly be able to tell you what their thinking was with regards to a certain decision. Whether that decision is a correct one.... well that will be up to you to decide. The reality is that just because something works for us, (or doesn't in many cases), that's not to say that it will or won't work for you. Sometimes a tactic can be completely pants with one group of players, but hugely impressive with a different team or at a different level.

+1 for Jimbo - if you like discussion about the minutiae of management, particularly around the youth intake, and a good bit about the thoughts behind the tactics, that's the thread for you. Probably the best example I can think of.

From real life tonight:

Corners: Montreal - 10 ; DC United - 3

Possession: Montreal - 67.7% ; DC United - 32.3%

Passing accuracy: Montreal - 83% ; DC United - 66%

Shots: Montreal - 25 ; DC United - 1

Shots on target: Montreal - 8 ; DC United - 1

Final score: Montreal 0-1 DC United

SORT IT OUT, SI! :mad:

:D

I could say the same about Ipswich letting leads slip in stoppage time (having been 2-0 up as well), having also done so something like 3 times in a single month alone last season. Clearly the AI gets a boost late on in games ;) Was just about to make an fb post (which I very rarely do about football) celebrating the win and Norwich finally getting some bad luck for a change and realized just in time or I'd have looked a right nana.

This explains it...

Having a hard time getting back into FM. Don't want to return to the big save because of the MLS bug that affects beta saves. Trying to start another save, but feel like "why bother" when we're getting close to the FM 16 announcement. Then I figure "Well, I'll just wait until the final patch this time, so that would give me a good 5, 6 months on a new save." Then I think "But I say every year that I'll wait, and I never do."

FM16 won't be released until late Oct, early Nov thats nearly three months away, you can get a lot done in three months, its like 25% of your FM playing time ;)

I generally wait until the second patch before starting on the new version so that tends to be around December, by then most of the serious issues have been ironed out which would give you a little more time.

You could also try something different to what you normally do, international management? a small country? maybe one thats more closed off Australia, South Africa, an Asian save?

FM16 won't be released until late Oct, early Nov thats nearly three months away, you can get a lot done in three months, its like 25% of your FM playing time ;)

I know. I have no idea why FM activity drops of by Summer (and it seems to be even earlier in recent years) as it's still something like half the FM year!

I know. I have no idea why FM activity drops of by Summer (and it seems to be even earlier in recent years) as it's still something like half the FM year!

My FM interest drops every year around July time. I've added an updated database and trying a save with that and really enjoying it, but i chose newly League One side Wigan and so far the season has been a breeze. With things going so well i don't feel its worth documenting, people are used to failure from me!

I generally wait until the second patch before starting on the new version so that tends to be around December, by then most of the serious issues have been ironed out which would give you a little more time.

You could also try something different to what you normally do, international management? a small country? maybe one thats more closed off Australia, South Africa, an Asian save?

I've downloaded classen's megapack, so we'll see if that helps. :)

Archived