England V Russia - Group B - ITV1 KO: 20:00

Djstu23

Gutting end to the game last night, deserved to win the match, in fact it should have been put away in the first half. Really poor goal to concede with like 90 seconds remaining. Got to stop the ball getting into the box there. Rose was never winning the header at the back post.

Said mid way through the first half when we kept failing to put the chances away that it would come back to cost us and it did. :(

Sterling was utter cack all game, he has no goal instinct, he seems to have no idea what he wants to do when he gets the ball, isn't actually that good at dribbling, which for a winger is one of your biggest strengths, his decision making is very poor and it seems like he only decides what to do at the very last second, rather than having an idea in his head of what to do when he recieves the ball. Bench for him for the Wales game please.

Vardy should have come on for Kane around 65/70 mins, Kane was just as poor as Sterling, he looked shattered all game and i'm fed up of seeing him taking all of the corners, he can't even put a good ball in anyway. Always seems to overhit them. Plus the fact that I don't like to see strikers taking corners. Get him in the box ffs!

Very surprised to see Dier take the FK, wonder how he persuaded Rooney and Kane to let him take it? :D

Game on Thursday has just got that much bigger now. Heads could be down after the Russia result. Think the result from last night may well have ****ed up the whole tournament for us now. If we qualify I expect it to be in second place behind Wales and then that means we would face France I think in the next round? Presuming they top their group.

I agree with this, Sterling was poor and it just summed up his form from the last few months. Kane started brightly but just found it too hard going - should have made the change to Vardy in the second half, or even look to bring Vardy on alongside him. We did play well though, just looked a bit rusty in the final third. I still think we'll get through though.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think that's a bit harsh. Several chances were pretty big. Didn't Lallana have basically a tap-in at the back post for instance? Rooney's that went just wide was pretty decent too, and many others. When watching, it definitely felt like England was close to scoring many, many times, and should have done so much earlier. If England play like this in the next two matches, it's hard to see them not go through.

He was way offside for that anyway and did he even reach the ball anyway? Rooney's was the best chance when Akinfeev tipped it onto the bar.

Apparently Kane didn't have a single touch in the opposition box last night.

Maybe not as much of a "fantastic attacking performance" people are making out. Especially when you have to rely on a set-piece to break down a woeful Russian side.

So it's one game and people already want to move square pegs into round holes. Never change. Vardy should have come on earlier (not out wide) and Kane shouldn't take corners but it really wasn't that bad.

I would rather Wilshere over Rooney even though he played alright but I would be fine with giving the same line-up a start against Wales. I wouldn't be adverse to Vardy starting but not on the wing and it would be pretty silly to drop our best striker after one game and equally worrying if Roy had changed his mind after that performance.

If we qualify I expect it to be in second place behind Wales and then that means we would face France I think in the next round? Presuming they top their group.

No, second place in the group means a game against the group F runner-up (possibly Austria) in the next round, and then probably the winner of France's group in the quarter-finals.

First place in the group means a game against the third-placed team in groups A/C/D, and then the winner of group F (possibly Portugal) in the quarter-finals.

Archived