FM16: Arsenal FC - Why Fly When You Can Walk on Water

FMFanatic2016

I'm on a roll now. With Sanchez back, I could use Berardi as a AMR-inside forward again and things are looking awesome. I can finally say that my team is playing extremely well. 4-5 CCC per match. And Morata is banging in goals again. I changed two TI's: removed exploit flanks and instructed them to play a bit wider. This has created more opportunities for my attacking players. I'll post pics of my tactic later on today, when I'm home.

Two things though: Berardi is awesome as inside forward on the right, and full backs are just extremely good. Both Bellering and Jorge.

My first choice team;

Cech

Bellerin(fb-a) Stones Bosscielny Jorge(fb-a)

Neves (anchorman)

Ramsey (dlp-s) Ozil (AP-A)

Sanchez (IF-a) Neymar (IF-a)

Morata (CF-s)

How on earth did you manage to 1, afford Neymar and 2, Get him to want to join, never even lets me offer a contract.. ?!?

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How on earth did you manage to 1, afford Neymar and 2, Get him to want to join, never even lets me offer a contract.. ?!?

Let me answer your question: As I explained before I have a huge transferbudget, now 286 mil euros. I have been champion for the two past seasons, so I guess that drew attention as well. In my first season in charge I sold a lot of players for a lot of money. Managed to get 36 mil for Paulista, offered by Juventus. All of a sudden Kroenke decided to step down but soon after that announcement asked me if I wanted more transferfunds. I was happy to say yes. As the new chairman stepped in he also asked me the same question. I know that some other players here have had the same announcement by the board. It's not cheating. I guess I've just been lucky. I agree it's a bit over the top as I can basically buy everybody I want, but that takes the fun away for me. I just like buying young talent and make them worldbeaters.

Have an important away game in the league after a disappointing 0-0 draw midweek in the champions league. Arteta and Mertersacker only fit enough for the bench, so Kos gets the armband.

Kick off, Koscielny appears to be disinterested. 20 minutes in we're 0-2 down. Hauled him off before half team to be replaced. Livid. Lost 4-2 to Leicester. It's fine to make mistakes, but to be Captaining the side and looking disinterested. Disgusting. :mad::mad::mad:

/Rant

I love Bellerin in this years game.

?

I'm only ten games in and he has been my best performer. Always available as the outlet, can be relied on to put in a good delivery and dependable at the back. Such a player.

Z94O5d1.png

A mixed bag of results in the start of the season. A dreadful start was down to tactical issues, myself missing an instruction or two, coupled with tinkering. The Chelsea and PSG draws being the results which catalyzed a small unbeaten streak. Then smashed back down to earth with the Leicester game. And this followed...

qWu5BLf.png

Utterly shocking. Play Debuchy to appease him and get some game time. He starts the game with the body language of disenchanted and 25 minutes later 0-3 down. Will have to walk away from the computer for a little while:mad:.

You get on a nice run of 3 wins in a row, not playing free flowing football, but seeking out victories and getting more assured as the games go on, and think 'Hey! I think I've finally cracked a good tactic on 16, I may start to nail this game now' and BOOM!! 5-0 defeat by Donny at home when you've got 4 first teasers in your XI...Football Manager, I despise thee...

You get on a nice run of 3 wins in a row, not playing free flowing football, but seeking out victories and getting more assured as the games go on, and think 'Hey! I think I've finally cracked a good tactic on 16, I may start to nail this game now' and BOOM!! 5-0 defeat by Donny at home when you've got 4 first teasers in your XI...Football Manager, I despise thee...

In FM16, plug and play no longer works. There needs constant tweaks to exploit oppositions strategies. I believe you can exploit another team just through shouts, however an alternative tactic could really turn things around.

In FM16, plug and play no longer works. There needs constant tweaks to exploit oppositions strategies. I believe you can exploit another team just through shouts, however an alternative tactic could really turn things around.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's making it really interesting and keeping me on my toes for now

Another tip for Arsenal players!: Sign Wenger as your Director of Football. I let him handle signing youngsters and negotiations. Your most useful staff probably

i let him do my 1st teamers too. signed Goetze for 36m with 180k. happy with that

Arsenal has a very balanced starting squad, so winning the league in your first season is quite doable. However I find the Champions cup another story. As Aditya has posted above, there is no plug and play tactic. It is just not that easy anymore. You can easily have bad periods where nothing seems to work for no obvious reason.

I love this thread! And I love Fm16 so far. I failed miserably in my first season with Arsenal, third place in PL (4 pts behind bloody spurs), knocked out in the quarter final by Juve in the CL (they won the whole thing), lost (on 'purpose') in C1C and also lost the semi's in the FA Cup. Managed somehow to keep my job but certainly need silverware this season to keep it. To sum up the season a bit;

- Even though I tried to sell Olly in the beginning, I decided to keep him. 25 goals in the PL. Very pleased with him.

- So.many.injuries. Yes, I'm Arsenal, but anyways, almost everyone in my squad had an injury or nine during the first season.

- Bought Pogba. Him and Ramsey = gold.

- Bought Gaya. Him and Bellerin = <3

- Very disappointed with my wingers.

The reason why I'm posting is because City launched a bid of £35 mill. for Ox. Negotiated for a while, and now I'm stuck with a bid of... £65 mill! Straight on the table. How has he develpoed for you guys?

His season for me in the PL: 31 (5) games - 5 goals - 4 assist - 2 MOTM and an average rating of 6.96! Used him mostly on the right, but also on the left as Winger.

I really want to take the money, cause it's pre-season and I've already signed Bernardo Silva. If I sell I will buy Dybala for the money, and also Laporte. Thoughts?

i love this thread! And i love fm16 so far. I failed miserably in my first season with arsenal, third place in pl (4 pts behind bloody spurs), knocked out in the quarter final by juve in the cl (they won the whole thing), lost (on 'purpose') in c1c and also lost the semi's in the fa cup. Managed somehow to keep my job but certainly need silverware this season to keep it. To sum up the season a bit;

- even though i tried to sell olly in the beginning, i decided to keep him. 25 goals in the pl. Very pleased with him.

- so.many.injuries. Yes, i'm arsenal, but anyways, almost everyone in my squad had an injury or nine during the first season.

- bought pogba. Him and ramsey = gold.

- bought gaya. Him and bellerin = <3

- very disappointed with my wingers.

The reason why i'm posting is because city launched a bid of £35 mill. For ox. Negotiated for a while, and now i'm stuck with a bid of... £65 mill! Straight on the table. How has he develpoed for you guys?

His season for me in the pl: 31 (5) games - 5 goals - 4 assist - 2 motm and an average rating of 6.96! Used him mostly on the right, but also on the left as winger.

I really want to take the money, cause it's pre-season and i've already signed bernardo silva. If i sell i will buy dybala for the money, and also laporte. Thoughts?

100% sell

My summer transfer window is looking difficult already. Barcelona have offered £11mil (non-negotiable) for Cazorla and he wants to join, but I rejected it because I think I can get more. Now Bayern have offered £17mil for Gabriel and, again, he wants to leave and, also again, I rejected it because the offer is too low. I've promised both players I'll let them go if I get better offers.

Meanwhile, City have signed Busquets, Felipe Anderson and Jose Gaya, Chelsea have signed Morata and Spurs have, weirdly, signed Yaya Toure.

Here's how the Ox has done for me, I rejected an offer of £63m from PSG this window. The one thing against him is the number of games he misses through injury. I play him as an AMR Winger (support) and he dovetails beautifully with Bellerin, we are never quite the same when he doesn't play.

2015-11-19_00001_zpswkw3x3vc.jpg

Here's how the Ox has done for me, I rejected an offer of £63m from PSG this window. The one thing against him is the number of games he misses through injury. I play him as an AMR Winger (support) and he dovetails beautifully with Bellerin, we are never quite the same when he doesn't play.

2015-11-19_00001_zpswkw3x3vc.jpg

Impressive. On FM15 he had really solid stats for me as well, but after the disappointing season something had to be done, so I sold him to City. Bernardo Silva/Gabriel Barbosa/Wally will hopefully do the job.

Started my arsenal save with the below first season transfers (in Australian Dollars):

In:

Rugani (loan for a year with a 57mil future fee)

Morata (20mil upfront, 40mil over 48 months P/ex Giroud)

Alaba (25mil upfront, 60mil over 48 months P/ex Mertesacker) - i couldnt get Gaya, but very happy with alaba. shocked he's only rated 4 stars though, but has been playing well so worth it.

Bernardo Silva (45 mil upfront, activated transfer release clause)

Rafihna (45 mil upfront, activated transfer release clause)

Marc Butra (18 mil upfront, activated transfer release clause)

Ajer (4 mil)

Zivkovic (2.6 mil)

Lincoln (3 mil)

Out:

Campbell (12mil)

Monreal (18 mil)

Flamini (4.6 mil)

Giroud P/ex

Mertesacker P/ex

Went a bit over board, but only took a punt with the 2 barca signings to see if i had a chance but had go through with it once they accepted.

Really struggled to sell players out right, even for what there worth so use them for exchange to get the players I wanted.

Was also lucky to get an increase in my wage budget (i asked for both transfer and wage increase only got 1) which helped get my signings.

Also trying to get Sven Bender who is listed for 13 mil, but I think i may struggle with the funds.

Any of you guys have tips on getting the best out of sanchez and ozil, this is my proper save after a quick test save with the gunners to get a feel for the game, but have struggled to get the best out of them.

I play a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-1-2-2-1 (for away games against tough opposition)

I play ozil at a AP support, and Sanchez as a IF Att/Support depending on the opposition.

My roles are the below

GK

FB/AU DC DC FB/AU

CM/AU (or box to box) BWM

IFA/Winger AP/S IF

CF

I've started an Arsenal save - my first of Football Manager 2016. After dabbling around with some European save - namely Milan, on the beta, and later Hamburg - I decided to give Arsenal a go, largely because I enjoyed reading about all your saves in this thread. I found myself following JEinchy's youth development posts particularly keenly.

As with all my saves, I disabled first transfer window budgets for added realism. Nevertheless, throughout my tenure, I brought Kit Symons into the club as a first-team coach and also brought back Thierry Henry and Liam Brady in youth coaching capacities, the latter doubling up as a scout for our youth players who are currently away on loan.

I'm about three months into my save, one which has provided me with plenty of enjoyment and frustration already. Here are my results to date, the first of October:-

All%20Results%20-%20October%201st%20-%2015-16_zpswhwtrgyx.png

PRE-SEASON

Pre-season was indifferent, largely due to my persistence in trying different approaches, different systems and different players. While the results were varied and inconsistent, one thing that is guaranteed is the talent of the players rising through the under-18 and under-21 sides respectively. I saw pre-season as an opportunity to introduce the likes of Jeff Reine-Adelaïde, Krystian Bielik, Matt Macey, Ismaël Bennacer and Chris Willock into what will soon be their day-to-day surroundings, the Arsenal senior squad. All, but Reine-Adelaïde and Bennacer especially, impressed and provided valid reason for first-team involvement during the forthcoming season.

COMMUNITY SHIELD

Our competitive season began in horribly false fashion. While the result of the may suggest a dominant Chelsea performance, it was anything but. We were the better team, made the better chances - many of which striker Theo Walcott squandered - and were ultimately beaten by the remarkably clinical pairing of Eden Hazard and Diego Costa. To literally add injury to undeserved insult, Per Mertesacker fractured his ankle and will subsequently miss upwards of three months.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

With Big Per already confined to observational duties, Petr Čech, an impressive performer during pre-season, was the next to face a spell on the sidelines; he suffered a lower back stress fracture some two days prior to the West Ham game, meaning David Ospina would deputise for at least the next seven weeks.

Čech's absence wasn't a factor in our draw at home to West Ham, but poor finishing from the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alexis absolutely was. We were ultimately saved by a Bellerín blast which flew past Adrián. Stoke, the following week, was similar to the West Ham game - but minus the injured Mesut Özil. Failing to gain significant control on the game, we relied on good defending and a fine Giroud half-volley to win it late on.

Alexis Sánchez, playing as a second-striker in Mesut's absence, was excellent against Leicester, laying on two goals. We then travelled to Manchester City, employing a similar strategy as Arsène Wenger did in our 2-0 win last season. While we couldn't (yet should've) found a decisive goal, a concerted defensive effort reduced the likes of Agüero, Silva and De Bruyne to taking shots from eighteen-twenty yards and allowing them little in the way of clear-cut chances. We consolidated our defensive efforts up North with a fairly comfortable win over Sunderland at the Emirates; Mesut Özil scoring his first of the season to win it.

We continued our decent form away to West Brom, winning 3-1, clawing our way back from Craig Gardner's opener. Chamberlain and Alexis were excellent, while Özil was very much the oil in an engine settling into a powerful rhythm. All three goals were of impressive quality, Chamberlain's the result of a quick one-two with Mesut and Alexis' brace a culmination of counter-attacks, supplemented by his powerful running and deft close control. Everton at home was another tough fixture, but one which we completely dominated - even after Gabriel's 47th minutes sending off. 62% possession and 489 completed passes nullified Barkley and Lukaku's effect on the game. Alexis and Mesut linked brilliantly well for the opener and Bellerín's second of the season was a beautiful goal to behold. Gabriel was dismissed for a chopping challenge on Lukaku.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Our group: SL Benfica, Arsenal, SK Galatasaray and Borussia Mönchengladbach. A tough yet navigable group, one which was far kinder than the group, for example, Manchester City was drawn into. The result against Borussia Mönchengladbach at the Emirates, again, was one which could have been so much different. Dominating possession and the game in general, Olivier Giroud, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alexis Sánchez all, in turn, failed to convert good chances. Mesut Özil was particularly excellent, providing poise and guile, conducting proceedings and deserved to have at least two assists.

Galatasaray away was another tricky test and one, especially after Burak Yilmaz's goal, I wasn't convinced we'd pass. Yet we did. We turned the game on its head entirely, drawing level thanks to a lovely Cazorla goal. We clinched and sealed the victory with Alexis and Giroud goal respectively, the former a result of a jinking dribble and a fine finish following a beautifully-weighted Cazorla pass. Giroud's goal saw him attack Kieran Gibbs' cross at the near-post, smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

Very much a brief saunter in the League Cup, but possibly a necessary one. With injuries taking hold, we lined up with a weakened eleven and a youthful substitutes' bench. We failed to handle Blackburn's physicality and chaotic set-pieces. Alex Iwobi (starting), Ismaël Bennacer, Krystian Bielik and Kaylen Hinds (substitutes) all made their first-team debuts, with Hinds rewarded for his impressive development with a tap-in.

Barclays Premier League table; as of October 1st, 2016

Barclays%20Premier%20League%20table%20-%20October%201st_zpsy9rpkdog.png

If you have any questions about the team, systems, tactics, transfer, youth development - anything! - by all means ask them and I will endeavour to answer them. I'll hopefully be posting a bit more often in here from now on. I'll keep you updated on my save but, more importantly, enjoy yours!

Dominate, but only win 2-1, against Chelsea, beating Swansea 1-0 for 80 mins, get beat 3-1...Standard Arsenal save!

To say Higuaín was my 'star' buy, I'm not sure I'm impressed, 7(2) with 4 goals and 1 assist, with his goals coming against Benfica, West Brom, Man City & Watford. He has already been out injured for 3 weeks due to a back strain

My control tactic stopped working for some matches. I have switched back to attacking with fluid setup. I conceded a lot because of easy high passes behind my defenders, but I have been able to cancel that out by playing offside. Really great results now. Morata and Sanchez are banging in goals for fun. But, my word, Bellerin is just insane. Barca and Real are already knocking on the door. Average rating of 8.5 like WTF! Koscielny is 32 now though and Cech 36. I might have to start looking for decent follow up. I just wonder how long we can go on with Cech. I do really like him a lot though. Awesome professional guy!

Having a very successful first season so far. Signed a lot of youngsters and am mostly relying on what's already in the squad for my first XI, bar a massive move for John Stones. Bellerin has been absolutely incredible for me as an attacking full back.

League table:

2r6gm07.png

Player perfomance overview in the league

25koufb.png

First XI

2bob5t.png

transfers

5eanv9.png

squad stats

nmev47.png

Having a very successful first season so far. Signed a lot of youngsters and am mostly relying on what's already in the squad for my first XI, bar a massive move for John Stones. Bellerin has been absolutely incredible for me as an attacking full back.

League table:

2r6gm07.png

Player perfomance overview in the league

25koufb.png

First XI

2bob5t.png

transfers

5eanv9.png

squad stats

nmev47.png

What are your team instructions and maybe important player instructions? Looks like a good formation and the results are very nice!

The tactic has been incredible. I've done a few 1-2 season saves. Went unbeaten with Lyon in the first season and won the Champion's League. Got Wolves promoted with 117 points then 7th in their first Prem season and got Norwich to 6th first season with it. I don't set any player instructions and I adjust the roles to the suit the player but essentially always have 3 attacking mentality in the front 4, except if you're the weaker side then have 2. Usually the RB is on support or defend, just that Bellerin is go good as an attacking full back. Team instructions below.

1678013.png

Currently struggling a bit in my second season. Won the Community Shield, beat Sunderland at home, but have since lost 1-0 at Man City, draw 2-2 at home to Everton despite leading twice, and lost 2-0 at Chelsea. We actually didn't play that badly against Chelsea, but Morata scored a worldie and then from a set-piece and, as usual, we struggled to put the ball in the damn goal. Happens every game.

Defensively we've been awful. Nobody picking up runs whatsoever. I'm genuinely baffled as to why this is now happening when last season we were so good at the back.

EDIT: And now we've lost to Watford 2-1. Can't defend at all at the moment. I'm getting sacked at this rate.

A brief snippet from my save. With the international break dragged somewhat, it did have its advantages - not least providing ample opportunity and time to begin and conclude negotiations with Alexis Sánchez over a new, long-term contract.

Alexis%20Saacutenchez%20-%20contract%20extension%202020_zpslqnd9kzo.png

I'm very much contented with this business, especially as Alexis' agent, Felicevich, was initially demanding a basic wage of £230,000-a-week. It is, by all means, a well-deserved reward for an excellent season to date.

Next up, hopefully: Nacho Monreal and Mesut Özil. I anticipate no problems in negotiating with the former, but I may need to try a bit harder with the latter. I am also contemplating whether or not to extend the contract of club captain and valued squad member, Mikel Arteta. Coincidentally, I encouraged him to take his first steps toward becoming a manager and he did so. Here's hoping for a prosperous career in management.

Mikel%20Arteta%20-%20Coaching%20Overview%20October%202015_zpsr6lblv7j.png

Just finished my first season. Won the Premier League by 4 points. Won the League Cup and lost in the Champions League Final on penalties. Struggled to get a settled team and didnt make too many signings in the first season. Signed Embolo in January and he was very good!

So given 94m transfer budget, sold a lot of players to fund a summer spending spree.

IN:

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg £25m

Matheus Pereira £4m

Mauro Icardi £40m

Bartlomiej Dragowski £2m

Abdelhak Nouri £11m

Various Regens

Out:

Martinez £4m

Akpom £4m

Gnabry £11m

Walcott £40m(Chelsea)

Welbeck £20m(City)

Paulista £7m

Jenkinson £6m

Sanogo £5m

Szczesny £5m

So still have £95m to spend

The tactic has been incredible. I've done a few 1-2 season saves. Went unbeaten with Lyon in the first season and won the Champion's League. Got Wolves promoted with 117 points then 7th in their first Prem season and got Norwich to 6th first season with it. I don't set any player instructions and I adjust the roles to the suit the player but essentially always have 3 attacking mentality in the front 4, except if you're the weaker side then have 2. Usually the RB is on support or defend, just that Bellerin is go good as an attacking full back. Team instructions below.

1678013.png

Hi BJG,

Have been struggling with tactics on my Arsenal game. Has been relatively inconsistent over a span of half a season. It will be a blast if you can upload your tactics here. may be useful as a bedrock for others.

Regards

Ivan

Anyone else getting Petr Cech in his fetching new pair of red leggings? not sure whether it's a bug or just what the database determines he wears.

I've seen it happen (to a few goalkeepers) in the cold conditions (seeing it in Jan/Feb is very common)

so maybe they're wearing long trousers to keep them warm, even though it doesn't happen irl

Yeah I've had the same happen.

1st season ended disappointingly as I was knocked out of the Champions League in the Semis by Juventus. Won the league with 92 points though, my only trophy. All in all a decent season, given me a big enough rep boost to bring in Neymar for £82m for next season as well as activating £10m release clauses for Oodergard and Leon Bailey.

Update for my save:

We had another quiet transfer window. Gabriel was eventually sold to Bayern for £30 million in a deal where everyone wins. Coming into replace him is Emanuel Mammana from River for £8.5 million, who looks to be a very promising ball-playing centre back. Szczesny, Jenkinson and Sanogo were also sold, while a few youngsters/reserves were let go for small sums or for free.

Results%20Sep%20Oct%20Nov%202016_zps0bu2bysn.png

We started the season poorly, and it got to the point where the squad became unhappy with the results and morale was at an all-time low. I decided to go scrap my current tactics and go back to basics, and that's turned results around, although our recent run of fixtures has been quite kind. Nonetheless, defending our title is still very much a possibility:

League%20Table%20Nov%202016_zpsuxtkgmj5.png

It's all very tight right now. With such a competitive top of the table, everyone will end up dropping points, so we have every chance.

Inside Forward (Attack) on the left hand side of a 4-2-3-1. He gets plenty of supply. He has this annoying habit of trying to blast every shot he has (probably due to his high aggression). Maybe I should try and teach him the Places Shots PPM.

How is everyone playing Walcott and Chamberlain in the 4231 formation. I do not think Winget Sipport or Attack is the best because I want him to get in the box and score goals and from what I read the Winget just looks to beat his man and deliver crosses.

How is everyone playing Walcott and Chamberlain in the 4231 formation. I do not think Winget Sipport or Attack is the best because I want him to get in the box and score goals and from what I read the Winget just looks to beat his man and deliver crosses.

I tend to use Walcott as a centre-forward now - still trying to find the best role for him in that position - but I sometimes, usually as a substitute, use him on the right-hand side as a Raumdeuter. I believe it to be the role that is closest to what he used to play as in real life. And his attributes certainly suit it.

As for Chamberlain, I've used him a lot on the left-hand side, as an Inside Forward - Support. It's largely due to alternating injuries to Özil and Alexis, and it's more of a playmaker role, but he has scored a fair few from that position.

I tend to use Walcott as a centre-forward now - still trying to find the best role for him in that position - but I sometimes, usually as a substitute, use him on the right-hand side as a Raumdeuter. I believe it to be the role that is closest to what he used to play as in real life. And his attributes certainly suit it.

As for Chamberlain, I've used him a lot on the left-hand side, as an Inside Forward - Support. It's largely due to alternating injuries to Özil and Alexis, and it's more of a playmaker role, but he has scored a fair few from that position.

i use walcott as a poacher when hes been fit, but alternate him with giroud who plats as a target man/support not attacking, chamberlain as a amr as an attacking winger, 5 goals and 4 assists.

have been impressed with alexis though, 15 goals in 24 games and only 3 assists though as AML inside forward, only on 4th january at the moment so hoping i can get him to 30 goals this season! Ozil started the season off pretty crap tbh but after tweeking his amc advanced playmaker settings hes now on 11 assists and 6 goals in 25 games

Walcott up top on his own as a complete forward - goal a game all season. Ox is rotation for me, but usually left wing as a winger set to support.

bf097613-79f4-453c-843f-72bbde684679_zps6e4bc9d1.jpg

Pre-Season/ August Report

arsenal%201_zps5omvztyl.jpg

Pre-Season Games:

Pld: 5 W: 3 D: 1 L: 1 GS: 11 GC: 5

08/08/15 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Afobe 21 , Özil 34 , Giroud 86 | Assts: Ramsey/Oxlade-Chamberlain/Özil x1)

Leicester 0

15/08/15 | Barclays Premier League | Old Trafford

Arsenal 1 ( Ramsey 76 | Asst: Alexis)

Man Utd 0

22/08/15 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 1 ( Afobe 1)

Liverpool 0

30/08/15 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 4 ( Cazorla 10 , Adriàn O/G 45+1 , Cazorla 72 , Koscielny 90+2 | Asst: Oxlade-Chamberlain x2 , Cazorla x1)

West Ham 0( Moses Inj 31)

Archived