FM16: Arsenal FC - Why Fly When You Can Walk on Water

FMFanatic2016

I brought in Lars Bender as he seemed like a bargain but he soon fell behind Coq and Arteta so I sold him after one season.

I also went for Balanta and Morata. Balanta was regularly getting 7+ ratings by the end of the season. Morata was disappointing in my game. 1 barn-storming game in 4 on average. He ended the season with only 13 goals but I might still give him a chance when I start again for the full release.

Ramsey seemed to be really disappointing so I gave him a warning about his form. He reacted badly and asked me to check his stats. When I did it turned out that his passing was very accurate, so I'm wondering whether there's an issue with the ratings for players who just run around making good passes.

Oh and if you sell Carzola, expect a s**t storm from the fans.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started my annual first save on FM with club I support. Like someone said above, as I was appointed I had the option to retain Arsene and decided to, this is a nice and realistic touch to this years game. I also kept all the existing staff members in place.

Player wise I had already decided I wanted to sign a striker as my main priority, as I wanted to rotate The Ox and Theo on the right wing. I would then use any spare money for youth buys and here's how the window went:-

In:-

Alvaro Morata £45m

Reece Oxford £4.3m

Tiziano Tulissi, Kuki, Dani Olmo, Juninho Bacuna & Andrija Balic all youths signed for a combined £13m

Out:-

Mikel Arteta £1.5m

My targets was met as planned in the window so would leave me free to play my 4-2-3-1 wide formation and I started off well, winning the community shield 2-1 against Chelsea and in the next 10 games I won 9 of them. But then I had a mini collapse where in 12 games, I won 4 drew 5 and lost 3 so I decided to change the formation to what I still currently play 4-1-1-3-1 wide.

I went into the January transfer window with the club in 4th and just about keeping pace but I decided that we needed a new partner in defence for Koscielny as Mertesacker was performing below par and Gabriel was a manic depressive, also a massive offer came in from Chelsea for you Chambers. Also with the new formation I needed a DM as back up for Coq, so here's how January went:-

Casemiro (loan) 325k per month

John Stones £55m

Calum Chambers £24.5m

During January we got knocked out of the FA Cup by Liverpool away at Anfield but in the league we won every game, then in Feb we drew with Liverpool away but won the rest of the games and also beat Juventus over 2 legs to get a Champions League QF draw against Barcelona. WE are now as it stands 2 games through March and have won both in the league and just gone top after 29 games with 66 points, with Man City a point behind. So the last couple of months should be exciting. Here's how the team has been set up for most of the season:

GK - Cech (Ospina)

DR - Bellerin (Debuchy)

DC - Koscielny (Oxford/Gabriel)

DC - Stones (Mertesacker)

DL - Monreal/Gibbs

DMC - Coquelin (Casemiro)

MC - Ramsey/Wilshere (Rosicky)

AMR - Walcott (Ox)

AMC - Ozil (Cazorla)

AML - Sanchez (Campbell)

ST - Morata (Giroud/Wellbeck)

Obviously Wellbeck, Wilshere and Rosicky had been injured for most of the season so have only just started getting games, also Sanchez is an ever present so has restricted Campbell's playing time though he has helped out when Ox/Walcott are injured. My best performers so far are Sanchez, Bellerin, Theo and Kos. Morata and Sanchez are neck and neck on 21 goals so far for the season with Ozil 13 and Walcott 12 behind them. Assists wise Walcott, Sanchez and Ozil all have 9, whcih shows we have great creativity behind our main striker.

In the summer I have already highlighted the need for another strong CM and started sounding out Pogba if we can afford him and a young left back if we find the right player, we will then change back to a more cautious version of my earlier 4-2-3-1.

If your plan is to develop younger players, I strongly recomend keeping Arteta for at least a year longer. He is a decent back up player with good mental attributes and model professional personality. He has a lot to offer mentally for developing youngsters. He might be a bit expensive, but with Arsenal, money is not an issue... :)

Got some of the squad report done. If anyone notices any mistakes please tell me and any feedback on the format is appreciated.

No mistakes that I can see so far. However, I am not at home at the moment so can't check, it might be worth looking at the Wenger situation. By that, you have the choice to keep him as DOF when you take over, he will leave the club if you wish. I know most people, me included will probably keep him around.

However, there is a down side to this. I have a feeling if you win the premiership or Champions league he gets really large bonuses. So, it might be worth checking that out and putting it into the summary so people know?

Anyone else start with budgets off in the first window? I did and I've got to January and still have zero budget. Not sure if it's a common problem or not but I'm missing out on targets!

In more positive news, currently 8 points clear of Spurs in second.

Been offered £33m by Chelsea for Coquelin - I'm pretty happy with that considering his in-game value is £15m. Just need to find myself a replacement before he heads off.

Just been offered £38.5m by Barcelona for Gabriel. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of cash!

Been offered £33m by Chelsea for Coquelin - I'm pretty happy with that considering his in-game value is £15m. Just need to find myself a replacement before he heads off.

Just been offered £38.5m by Barcelona for Gabriel. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of cash!

I am looking at getting William Carvalho as a possible replacement for Coquelin. Looks quality, but my scouts think he would cost about £45-£60m

I've had a solid start to my season:

Result%20Aug%20Sep%202015_zpslqp7quec.png

The COC defeat at home to Villa is the biggest disappointment so far. I didn't help matters by experimenting with a narrow diamond and playing a mid four of Bielik, Flamini, Arteta and Reine-Adelaide, but Villa had four shots all game, scored from a set-piece and at the near post when Ospina made a mistake. Meanwhile, Giroud and Alexis misfired up front.

The Community Shield was disappointing, too. The game was even, but I felt we created the better chances and should have won the game before the penalty shootout. Campbell was the unfortunate one to miss a pen for us.

The goalless draw at home to Watord - a typical "have all the chances, can't score" type game - the only blip in the league so far:

League%20Table%20Oct%202015_zps2ia5apl9.png

Walcott is on fire so far, playing as a lone Advanced Forward in a 4-4-1-1. He's got 8 goals in 10 games. Ox has started very well, too with 5 goals and 3 assists.

Bizzarely, Alexis only has 1 goal so far, despite having several shots every game. He averages 7.57, and beats people for fun from the left, but either fails to hit the target or shoots straight at the keeper.

I've started my annual first save on FM with club I support. Like someone said above, as I was appointed I had the option to retain Arsene and decided to, this is a nice and realistic touch to this years game. I also kept all the existing staff members in place.

Player wise I had already decided I wanted to sign a striker as my main priority, as I wanted to rotate The Ox and Theo on the right wing. I would then use any spare money for youth buys and here's how the window went:-

Alvaro Morata £45m

Reece Oxford £4.3m

Tiziano Tulissi, Kuki, Dani Olmo, Juninho Bacuna & Andrija Balic all youths signed for a combined £13m

Mikel Arteta £1.5m

How does Oxford look? I know he's highly rated irl

How does Oxford look? I know he's highly rated irl

Reece%20Oxford_%20Overview%20Attributes.png

Here he is at the end of the first season with AI development (spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to see):

http://s401.photobucket.com/user/clokeagne_supernova/media/Reece%20Oxford_%20Overview%20Attributes-2.png.html

My scouts both at Leicester and Man City waxed lyrical about his potential, so I assume he has a very high PA.

He's only on a YTS contract at the start of the game, so theoretically you can sign him straight away for about £1m. Seems quite hard to tempt away initially though - in my City save, he turned down my offer of £5k per week plus large bonuses to sign a £850 p/w contract with West Ham.

Wow, £71.5m for two players who didn't exactly shine in my first save? That's enough to get Pogba in and still have funds for Morata and Balanta. Did that happen before your first season kicked off?

It happened in Jan of the 1st season. They weren't doing badly for me, but weren't doing brilliantly either so I had no problems with letting them go!

I'm starting to struggle a bit now. Sanchez is out for 8 to 9 months with damaged cruciate ligaments. He was (and still is) my top scorer, top assister, and the player with the highest average rating. So much of my game was built around him picking the ball up on the left and driving at people, but I've not got that option now. As I'm now out of the transfer window, the AML IF(A) spot is going to have to go to one of Ox/Santi/Welbeck/Meyer but none of them can do what Alexis does. May need to change my tactics to make up for him not being there.

I had a bad injury on him as well. I found The OX to be best at taking his place. I sold the Ox is season 2 though. I bought christian Pavon quite cheaply as Alexis' backup. Won the first season, but the second has been more inconsistent. Things are starting to get better now though.

Reece%20Oxford_%20Overview%20Attributes.png

Here he is at the end of the first season with AI development (spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to see):

http://s401.photobucket.com/user/clokeagne_supernova/media/Reece%20Oxford_%20Overview%20Attributes-2.png.html

My scouts both at Leicester and Man City waxed lyrical about his potential, so I assume he has a very high PA.

He's only on a YTS contract at the start of the game, so theoretically you can sign him straight away for about £1m. Seems quite hard to tempt away initially though - in my City save, he turned down my offer of £5k per week plus large bonuses to sign a £850 p/w contract with West Ham.

Looks good...hopefully can make him a good dm

He looks good clokey, was looking at signing him or dybala to replace giroud. How much did the gunners pay for him?

£36 million in summer 2016 (Arsenal are AI managed so I suspect he could be picked up a bit cheaper by a human player with some negotiating).

Cheers clokey and sheep.

Just biding my time til the full game comes out. If you guys have any other striker recommendations (or any other potential world beaters) for an Arsenal save please let me know, Im looking at buying bernardo silva from monaco who has been highly talked about by people playing the beta.

I can't believe people are buying Morata and not world class players like Berardi or Dybala.

ugggh

from my Juventus save

Morata - never rated him (didn't fit the system) and actually sold him to Arsenal in Jan season 1 (for 24m - I bet you managers wish you were dealing with me ;) )

Dybala - never found his best role, although am willing to keep him on because he was out for 4 months

Berardi - looks seriously good, basically powered Sassuolo to Europe in my save, wish I had the cash to get him

ugggh

from my Juventus save

Morata - never rated him (didn't fit the system) and actually sold him to Arsenal in Jan season 1 (for 24m - I bet you managers wish you were dealing with me ;) )

Dybala - never found his best role, although am willing to keep him on because he was out for 4 months

Berardi - looks seriously good, basically powered Sassuolo to Europe in my save, wish I had the cash to get him

dude Dybala is like Aguero's heir. This is him AI managed in my Spurs save. Been trying to get him but Juve wont budge. Basically Juve is doing a good job getting as much for Morata as he looks average next to him.

ceFkBkr.jpg

beast

yeah, but that heading 13 is probably why he doesn't perform for me

I'm quite the wide-play man, so the main goal for the striker is to get on the end of crosses (Mandzukic is my best player because of this)

as I said, I haven't found his best role yet, so am willing to keep him on until I do

although it's a beta-only save, so meh

and I play with a lone striker, and a Treq has never really worked as a sole striker

First season over - I won the league, community shield and league cup. The league was won on the last day of the season, away to 2nd placed Chelsea!

The board have given me just under £90m to strengthen my team for next year. I think I'll keep the squad largely the same, as long as there aren't any huge bids for any of my players. One addition that I'm thinking of making is Saido Berahino from relegated West Brom. I can pick him up for £9.5m - I doubt he'll play a major role for me but he'll be a good backup.

EDIT: Scratch that. Berahino wants £145k per week as a rotation player and his agent won't back down. No chance!

For anyone interested, four Arsenal players have made the Sortitoutsi Wonderkids list: Bellerin, Dragomir, Reine-Adelaide and Chamberlain. Full list here:

http://sortitoutsi.net/players/list/19242/football-manager-2016-wonderkids

First season over - I won the league, community shield and league cup. The league was won on the last day of the season, away to 2nd placed Chelsea!

The board have given me just under £90m to strengthen my team for next year. I think I'll keep the squad largely the same, as long as there aren't any huge bids for any of my players. One addition that I'm thinking of making is Saido Berahino from relegated West Brom. I can pick him up for £9.5m - I doubt he'll play a major role for me but he'll be a good backup.

EDIT: Scratch that. Berahino wants £145k per week as a rotation player and his agent won't back down. No chance!

Well done on the league title, Sean3h. Extra sweet to do it at Chelsea's expense, too. Such a shame they aren't as bad on FM as they are in real life right now.

---------------

My own save is going along steadily. I've spent a fair amount of time fiddling around with my tactics and have settled on three formations now: 4-2-3-1 as a main tactic, 4-4-1-1 for difficult away games, and 3-5-2 to combat two striker formations. They're not quite perfect, though. While our defensive record is impressive, the goals have hardly flowed this last couple of months.

Results%20Oct%20Nov%202015_zpstaok7pst.png

Not much to comment on, other than I was very fortunate to get a 1-1 at City and a 0-0 at Spurs. We were second best in both games, but had just enough defensive ability to limit the number of clear cut chances on our goal, at the expense of our attacking threat.

League%20Table%20Dec%202015_zpscxguqlvc.png

Chelsea at home next in the league. Would be nice to put some distance between us going into the Christmas period.

I've had to dig into the reserves of my squad due to frequent niggly injuries. Reine-Adelaide has played more than played and has done very well. Joel Campbell likewise. Even Alex Iwobi has gotten a couple of sub appearances due to injuries. Fortunately, I've just got Rosicky back from his injury, and Wilshere shouldn't be too far behind. Looking forward to getting Welbeck, too.

Walcott managed to get on the shortlist for the Golden Ball, somehow. Alexis got on, too, despite still struggling to score goals. For some reason, he just keeps blasting his shots over the bar.

I always read these threads and roll my eyes at some people's stories, thinking "I wonder how many reloads that took?" My first season with Arsenal made me feel like I must have cheated, won the league with six games to go, won the League Cup 4-0 against Spurs in the final, and beat Man Utd 3-1 in the Champion's League, knocking out both of last season's finalists on the way. Oh, and the season started with a 4-0 tanking of Chelsea in the Community shield. The "obligatory competition not won to make it more believable" was the FA Cup, where I was knocked out by Man City in the semis. I'll be less sceptical from now on. :D

League was a canter, Chelsea had a worse start than real life, Mourinho gone before November with Carlo back to replace him. United were too inconsistent, winning 5-0 one week, losing to Sunderland the next. City drew far too many games, allowing me to pull away from November and never look back. Only lost twice all season, both weakened teams, away to Everton 3-0 and home to Sunderland 1-0 (a classic batter them but can't score game) and both after league was won.

League Cup was almost over before it begun, away to Palace first game, 2-1 down before Stephy Mavdidi equalised in the 80th minute. We won on penalties. A succession of home draws against Championship clubs followed, before a Charlton semi and the derby final. The Steve Morrow curse struck, however, and Sanchez broke his leg in the final, missing the rest of the season.

FA Cup was another run of home ties against lower division sides until the City semi. We were the better team, but my FM nemesis Aguero scored two crackers to put us out 3-1.

We got an easy Champions League group (which actually made me wonder if the seeding is implemented correctly) and topped the group with sixteen points. Past Benfica in first knockout round saw us draw Juve, first leg away. We were 3-0 down after 80 minutes, and deservedly so, before Welbeck popped up with two lucky late goals to keep us in it. A 2-0 home win out us through. A Barca semi final, first leg at home we beat them 2-1, conceding a stupid away goal due to a bad Cech mistake. Changed system slightly for the only time all season, and managed a 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp and on to final against United, who had beaten City in their semi. The final was all one way, Campbell, Giroud and Walcott scoring in a 3-1 win.

i played a 4-2-3-1 all season, with a backup 4-1-2-3 I only used away to Barca, but may use more often next season. Giroud top scorer in all comps with 34, 28 in the league. Walcott, Sanchez and Campbell all got around twenty, with most of Theo's coming in the cups.

Likewise for me. Finding him to be an excellent keeper. Ospina, on other hand, has made a couple of mistakes so far.

I always read these threads and roll my eyes at some people's stories, thinking "I wonder how many reloads that took?" My first season with Arsenal made me feel like I must have cheated, won the league with six games to go, won the League Cup 4-0 against Spurs in the final, and beat Man Utd 3-1 in the Champion's League, knocking out both of last season's finalists on the way. Oh, and the season started with a 4-0 tanking of Chelsea in the Community shield. The "obligatory competition not won to make it more believable" was the FA Cup, where I was knocked out by Man City in the semis. I'll be less sceptical from now on.

So, how many reloads did that take? ;)

Out of curiosity, did you bring any players in? I noticed you had success with Giroud and Campbell, which is nice to see, since most players will replace these guys very quickly.

Out of curiosity, did you bring any players in? I noticed you had success with Giroud and Campbell, which is nice to see, since most players will replace these guys very quickly.

I play with the first window off, so no new players. Nobody in January either as Rosicky, Welbeck and Wilshere were coming back.

Campbell was my star in August and September, he didn't quite reach those heights again, but he was pretty consistent. I had a lot of forward injuries and he slots in nicely as an AMR/AML or SC, though he performs noticably better as an AMR. Also got one of the player of the year awards.

Loved Giroud, he scored some lovely glanced headers I've never seen before in an FM game. Best aerial threat I've had since I had Andy Carroll on loan at Gateshead in the Conference in FM 9 or 10. :D

Do you play him as a sweeper keeper or regular keeper? Although that shouldn't have that much of an effect on his regular keeping duties.

I play him as a regular keeper.

Archived