Thread for Italian Football 15/16

2-1. Good game. Great goals by Pogba and Bovo. :thup:

We really need to work on our attack. Our movement breaks down time and time again because the players don't know where each others expects whom on the field.

Allegri now also has many options. For example, Cuadrado in 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. He also has 4-3-1-2 with Hernanes behind the strikers. It's unlucky that Khedira got injured. With many new players with different types, it will take long for the team to gel.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serie A is probably the most exciting league atm. So many good matches every week.

I disagree...

Juve-Torino was tense, but quite poor in terms of football.

Inter can't provide excitement to save their life, but apparently Roma made it up for them on saturday, despite losing.

Fiorentina-Frosinone was academic, with the second half being the epitome of "garbage time".

Speaking of garbage, the whole Sunday afternoon program ranged from scrappy (Genoa-Napoli) to godawful (Udinese-Sassuolo and Carpi-Verona).

Bologna and Milan's large wins were more due to the opposition sucking that to good football.

Frankly the only sides worth watching are Roma, Fiorentina and Napoli, but they're still way too erratic and inconsistent. Everything else has the potential to be a snoozefest, unless you count shin-kicking and constant tussling as excitement.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just jinxed Empoli big time on twitter. 10 minutes ago they were 2-0 up, I then tweeted "Empoli winning can Inter capatalise tonight" thinking Fiorentina were going to lose, they've since made it 2-2. Whoops.

Genoa were leading 1-0 until the 92nd minute thanks to Rincón.

Perin parried a header from a corner in the 93rd minute, but couldn't do anything on Acerbi's deflected rebound. 1-1.

But Cissokho kicked a long ball up field for Pavoletti's header in the 94th minute to make it 2-1.

Gasperson's face turned from grim to ecstatic within one minute. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the San Siro for Milan - Sampdoria at the weekend, realising a dream I've had since I first got into football. Truly a wonderful experience and despite probably being less than half full it was a stunning atmosphere (that may be more down to my usual match-going experiences being the English lower leagues than anything), great result too :D

• 3 weeks later...
Uh-oh, Juve are back. Despite the dodgy start they'll probably still win the league.

Most likely. Inter don't have the squad to compete all the way, imo, and their best case scenario for the season has always been top finish in the top 3 which they will probably do. Napoli and Roma are the only teams that potentially have the capacity to keep up/defeat Juventus, but Napoli are being Napoli and Roma's defence is very inconsistent. Juve are only 6 points behind now, they have an easy game tomorrow, and the others have fixtures in which they could potentially drop points.

Felipe Melo is going to get an extended suspension for that...First he gives away the penalty, then he comments a horrendous challenge and gets sent off. He's at full responsibility for this loss.

No, it's Mancini's responsibility. fully.

Every time Melo and Medel played together Inter was terrible. On top of that two players in the best form, Brozovic and Ljajic, were left out for no apparent reason. Montoya had 0 minutes until last weekend and then suddenly 3rd game in a week.

What makes things even worse is that it was pretty obvious what will happen with Melo. Everyone who's watched him over the years saw that he's losing it. Meanwhile, the 30mil€+ signing, Kondogbia, who played really well in the past couple of games, was warming up for 45mins and didn't even come on.

Mancini deserved this with idiotic (no other way to call it) lineup.

No, it's Mancini's responsibility. fully.

Every time Melo and Medel played together Inter was terrible. On top of that two players in the best form, Brozovic and Ljajic, were left out for no apparent reason. Montoya had 0 minutes until last weekend and then suddenly 3rd game in a week.

What makes things even worse is that it was pretty obvious what will happen with Melo. Everyone who's watched him over the years saw that he's losing it. Meanwhile, the 30mil€+ signing, Kondogbia, who played really well in the past couple of games, was warming up for 45mins and didn't even come on.

Mancini deserved this with idiotic (no other way to call it) lineup.

Whilst I agree, and whilst I absolute loathe the Felipe Melo and Medel partnership, Felipe Melo was trusted to do a job that was fairly basic and he failed in the most catastrophic manner possible. Maybe Mancini deserves the blame too for trusting him, but for me what he did was still total inexcusable.

Whilst I agree, and whilst I absolute loathe the Felipe Melo and Medel partnership, Felipe Melo was trusted to do a job that was fairly basic and he failed in the most catastrophic manner possible. Maybe Mancini deserves the blame too for trusting him, but for me what he did was still total inexcusable.

Like I wouldn't blame Mancini for anything if he subbed him at HT.

The logical solution was to sub him because he was obviously titled and enraged, he made a lot of passing mistakes and he doesn't offer much in terms of running around and covering the counter-attacks in the situation Inter was in.

This is the second time Mancini's setup completely self-destructs in home games he has to dominate and win against teams that are, or should be in Lazio's case around the top of the table.

If Mancini had Kuzmanović, Obi, Gnoukouri on the bench noone would said anything. But he had Kondogbia, Brozović, Guarin even.

He was the one who insisted on Melo signing and after getting some good performances out of him he's paying the price. We all knew this was bound to happen at some point.

Like I wouldn't blame Mancini for anything if he subbed him at HT.

The logical solution was to sub him because he was obviously titled and enraged, he made a lot of passing mistakes and he doesn't offer much in terms of running around and covering the counter-attacks in the situation Inter was in.

This is the second time Mancini's setup completely self-destructs in home games he has to dominate and win against teams that are, or should be in Lazio's case around the top of the table.

If Mancini had Kuzmanović, Obi, Gnoukouri on the bench noone would said anything. But he had Kondogbia, Brozović, Guarin even.

He was the one who insisted on Melo signing and after getting some good performances out of him he's paying the price. We all knew this was bound to happen at some point.

Fair points, but isn't this Inter's 'style'? Be aggressive, hard to beat, make it impossible for the other team to score? You need players like Felipe Melo and Gary Medel (without their weaknesses) to do that successfully. I don' think Guarin, Brozović and even Kondogbia as much as I lkike him, are the right players to fit the roles in this current system. Unless you suggest Mancini change the system that has been successful so far and produced a string of 1-0 victories?

Fair points, but isn't this Inter's 'style'? Be aggressive, hard to beat, make it impossible for the other team to score? You need players like Felipe Melo and Gary Medel (without their weaknesses) to do that successfully. I don' think Guarin, Brozović and even Kondogbia as much as I lkike him, are the right players to fit the roles in this current system. Unless you suggest Mancini change the system that has been successful so far and produced a string of 1-0 victories?

I was referring to the Melo going mental thing and trying to kill someone whole game long. Completely idiotic challenge and giving away a penalty and that tackle in the end.

As for the system, he's been changing it whole season long, with great success for the most part, but this is the second game where he failed completely.

Inter didn't play 4-2-3-1 at all until the Frosinone game. Season started off with 4-3-1-2 with occasional 4-3-3 games. Against Roma 4-3-3 was played and Jovetić was on the bench. Same thing against Napoli.

Torino away game was in 3-5-2 formation. In Udine 4-2-3-1 was the formation, with Guarin in the middle. And I don't think that Udinese is less of a threat than Lazio who didn't win in 6 games since the last night.

Also, playing Biabiany was ridiculous. He has atrocious techincal abilities. On the other hand two players thar are in the best form were on the bench for no reason.

Yesterday Inter didn't deserve to win, but they had to, because that's how titles are won by big teams, winning even when you're playing badly is the most important thing.

It was pretty obvious that Melo and Medel have no chance to get the ball forward and that's just what happened. Inter had like two shots before the first substitutions.

What do Roma fans on here make of Iturbe leaving on loan with view to a permanent deal?

Not a Roma fan, but Iturbe was a huge mistake for them. Iirc nearly 25mil€ transfer and he's been completely garbage. Some flashy moves and dribblings, but no football intelligence or tactical awarness whatsoever. Who knows, maybe mindless running in EPL will help him out, Watford's got nothing to lose in that deal anyway.

I think it has an option to buy for just a few million less than what Roma paid doesn't it?

Granted, if he plays like he has for Roma, they probably won't use the option, but...

I was referring to the Melo going mental thing and trying to kill someone whole game long. Completely idiotic challenge and giving away a penalty and that tackle in the end.

As for the system, he's been changing it whole season long, with great success for the most part, but this is the second game where he failed completely.

Inter didn't play 4-2-3-1 at all until the Frosinone game. Season started off with 4-3-1-2 with occasional 4-3-3 games. Against Roma 4-3-3 was played and Jovetić was on the bench. Same thing against Napoli.

Torino away game was in 3-5-2 formation. In Udine 4-2-3-1 was the formation, with Guarin in the middle. And I don't think that Udinese is less of a threat than Lazio who didn't win in 6 games since the last night.

You're right, but my point is, regardless of the formation, it's been Inter's intent to block out the other team. You've gone with with '2 DM' systems for the majority of games and it's been Medel + Melo for the majority of games bot have been healthy and not suspended. Melo knows what his role is in this team by now, and it's certainly not to get sent off and let your teammates down.

Also, playing Biabiany was ridiculous. He has atrocious techincal abilities. On the other hand two players thar are in the best form were on the bench for no reason.

Yesterday Inter didn't deserve to win, but they had to, because that's how titles are won by big teams, winning even when you're playing badly is the most important thing.

It was pretty obvious that Melo and Medel have no chance to get the ball forward and that's just what happened. Inter had like two shots before the first substitutions.

Agreed. Biabiany is like a headless chicken and I think he has a very poor work ethic. Mancini needs to explain that one. I can't explain the thinking behind that move because just about any other player, even out of position, would have been better.

You're right, but my point is, regardless of the formation, it's been Inter's intent to block out the other team. You've gone with with '2 DM' systems for the majority of games and it's been Medel + Melo for the majority of games bot have been healthy and not suspended. Melo knows what his role is in this team by now, and it's certainly not to get sent off and let your teammates down.

Agreed. Biabiany is like a headless chicken and I think he has a very poor work ethic. Mancini needs to explain that one. I can't explain the thinking behind that move because just about any other player, even out of position, would have been better.

Not really, Melo and Medel played together only against Juventus, Torino (formation was 3-5-2), Genoa and now Lazio. In Sampdoria game Medel was playing in the back four.

I really don't see any aspect of the game where they're better than Kondogbia, even with his current level of performance and Brozović is also better than Melo, who's good only for games where Inter won't dominate during most of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived