Thread for Italian Football 15/16

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berlusconi has lost his mind...

It's becoming a commonplace now... it's the same fate that befallen Allegri, Seedorf and Inzaghi: from hero to zero when they failed to play along the Boss' shenanigans or to live up to the insane expectations he had for a mediocre and ill-thought-out squad.

Solid karma for Sinisa though... he threw away his final months at Samp because he was moving on to bigger and better things and even accepted to take part in some of Berlusconi's gags during the presentation. A bigger sin for a former Inter figure.

Brocchi, poor guy... they'll eat him alive next season when he'll be unable to turn the next batch of no-hopers Galliani signed as a favour to the same agents into a decent team.

Just when you think things are gonna get better, you realize Mancini is the coach.

First sub in 73rd minute and instead of taking Melo or Medel out who're worthless in this kind of game, he takes out Perišić.

And he waited 73 minutes to do that. With Ljajić and Jovetić still on the bench.

And he's has the highest salary out of all coaches in Serie A.

Top10 world I think.

rofl

EDIT:

1-0

<.<

Just when you think things are gonna get better, you realize Mancini is the coach.

First sub in 73rd minute and instead of taking Melo or Medel out who're worthless in this kind of game, he takes out Perišić.

And he waited 73 minutes to do that. With Ljajić and Jovetić still on the bench.

And he's has the highest salary out of all coaches in Serie A.

Top10 world I think.

rofl

EDIT:

1-0

<.<

Can't believe you actually lost that. Shocked, especially considering your recent results and Genoa's battering at the weekend.

3-0 against Lazio. We're still nine points ahead of Napoli. :thup:

Totti is trolling Spalletti. :D

Crazy :D

That was not a penalty though. Poor decision. Still think Spaletti is making the right decision to bench him but considering Roma have vritually got top three wrapped up now, he prob will use it as an excuse to start him.

Can't believe you actually lost that. Shocked, especially considering your recent results and Genoa's battering at the weekend.

What else to expect when he puts Brozović in some kind of roaming winger position and Palacio was a trequartista with tendency to go wide.

And then Melo medel were the two central midfielders.

Gasperini simply let them be because he knows they're incapable of producing anything in attacking department.

What's your take on the Totti v Spalletti soap opera?

I'm firmly on Spalletti's side... Totti can still score such goals til he's 60, but that doesn't mean Roma should keep him around with a huge salary, much less if he's going to be passive-aggressive (or downright whiny on the media) every time he's not in the starting eleven.

Totti's career is a textbook example of the proverbial big fish in a small pond analogy, no wonder he's now refusing to face the sad reality of his age showing up... But if Roma want to move forward instead of remaining in their perennial state of "almost top club", cutting all the ties with the past is the first step toward a better future.

What's your take on the Totti v Spalletti soap opera?

I'm firmly on Spalletti's side... Totti can still score such goals til he's 60, but that doesn't mean Roma should keep him around with a huge salary, much less if he's going to be passive-aggressive (or downright whiny on the media) every time he's not in the starting eleven.

Totti's career is a textbook example of the proverbial big fish in a small pond analogy, no wonder he's now refusing to face the sad reality of his age showing up... But if Roma want to move forward instead of remaining in their perennial state of "almost top club", cutting all the ties with the past is the first step toward a better future.

Totti has only 2.5mil€ per year, and he'll probably lower it anyway if he stays.

De Rossi for example has 6.5 and Džeko has 4.5.

It's not even like Totti demanded he has to play or something.

Totti has only 2.5mil€ per year, and he'll probably lower it anyway if he stays.

De Rossi for example has 6.5 and Džeko has 4.5.

It's not even like Totti demanded he has to play or something.

2.5M for a 39 years old is A LOT... De Rossi's contract is widely regarded as the biggest waste of money in Italian football, ever, so it's not a fair term of comparison.

And Totti didn't directly demand to play, but his behaviour has been far from professional as of a late. He complained several times about him "not being important anymore" and even had a long interview with the biggest newscast in Italy, where he complained about "lack of respect" and about him "always wanting what's best for Roma", all under the pretense of accepting Spalletti's choices, while denying it de facto with his wording.

If that's not the attitude of a guy who's clearly feeling he's bigger than (or at least equal to) the club, I don't know what it it...

Not to mention his presence has always been a hindrance in building a technical structure that required a traditional striker for like a decade...

It all depends on what kind of system Spalletti wants to use. If there is no place for Totti, he should say so. Then, it will be clear for Totti that his time is up and he can move on. Give him his farewell at the end of the season.

It was hard for Del Piero, too. Remember? Ibrahimović was up and coming back then. But this time, I think Totti is frustrated because it's not like Džeko is better.

I say time for MLS or A-League for Totti.

Juventus can win the league on Sunday if the beat Fiorentina. Right?

Cheeky buggers luring everyone else into a false sense of security at the start. 10 points behind Fiorentina going into the 2nd international break although with a very, very long way to go. Good comeback to win it with 3 games to spare though.

Del Piero started several seasons with the "he's gonna get benched for good this year" label, then he always managed to reclaim his spot in the starting lineup by scoring a lot, or at least he re-established himself as a valuable and dedicated alterntive.

Only in his final season at Juve (when Zlatan was long gone, forgotten but not forgiven), Agnelli decided it was time to go separate ways if Del Piero wasn't willing to accept a substantial cut in terms of playing time and wage. He didn't want to, so the "divorce" was unceremoniously announced in autumn already... But Del Piero still scored a couple of key goals before having his deserved send-off and a respectable final part of career in Australia.

The difference with Totti is crystal-clear... Del Piero was disappointed, but he understood and moved on, without making too many waves... Totti, on the other hand, has rocked the boat so hard it almost toppled over...

It's just sad for me to see how Italian clubs deal with their legends.

From Maldini being booed on his last game, to Del Piero leaving for India and now Totti.

He could've gone to any club in the world for more than 10 straight years basically and if a million and something is too big of a burden for another season, then idk.

It's not like anyone is gonna sell more shirts than him, either.

And the Roma boat didn't rock because of Totti, but because they're a small club with no mentality.

Maldini being booed was despicable, but it was "payback" for some comments he did about the fans (he was 100% right BTW), so it doesn't have a thing to do with the club being ungrateful...

Del Piero was given an option to stay in a minor role and, although the club could have handled the announcement in a classier way, it made sense they wanted to move on. He still got a nice send-off though.

About Totti going to any club in the world, well.. he COULD have, but he'd also have had to face a bunch of tough challenges, going from being the King of Rome to being "just another good player" in Madrid, Manchester or Barcelona... And we all know Totti doesn't handle competition too well, not to mention the culture shock for a guy who has always lived in his hometown.

I maintain Totti is traded a potential career as a top-class player for the safety of a career as a local icon, where he could do no wrong and he was never put under serious scrutiny, no matter what he did (or didn't) on the pitch.

I know that'll sound harsh, but Totti is much closer to a guy like Le Tissier than to, say, Giggs or Scholes.

The "he chose to stay because he loves the club and the city" explaination is only one half of the story... the other one, less charming, is something like "he chose to stay because he didn't want to be challenged"

P.S. He can keep on playing for another year or even two, provided he doesn't lobby for being the core of the tactical project again... As a Super Sub in specific occasions, he can still have a role, but he must keep his head down and his mouth shut.

P.P.S. yesterday after he scored the equalizer, why didn't he pick the ball up and run back to the center of the pitch in order to restart the game ASAP? A draw wasn't an ideal result, but he still had to celebrate the goal as if it was the game-winning one, because, again like in Bergamo, it was about him and not about the team.

Yea, well, he also won the world cup where Del Piero was his sub. His prime was when Serie A was the strongest league in the world and in no way he's more similar to Le Tissier than Giggs or Scholes.

And it's true that his intellect isn't his strongest side. He can't even speak perfect Italian, learning English or any other language would be a monumental task for him.

Maybe it's just me because I see him as one of the last beacons of football we all love and not this modern garbage it's turning into where everything evolves around the money.

As for the goal celebration, you're just looking for straws here. <.<

And I don't even wanna think what's gonna happen if he leaves, the fans will want Spaletti and Palotta's heads.

First time this season that Inter managed to make a comeback after conceding first.

It'd be 2-2 if Handanović didn't make an amazing save in 94th and then Hallfredsson messed up badly when the goal was basically wide open.

Oh well, who even cares, CL is impossible.

Only good thing about 4th place is that it gives direct placement into EL groups, no qualifying rounds to mess up the pre season.

Pre season which will be led by the new coach I hope.

Is it likely that Inter get rid off Mancini though?

Well, Mazzarri's contract expires in June (yes, Mazzari's) and it's an unwritten rule that Inter always has two coaches on the payroll, haha.

On the serious note, there are a few options.

If nothing changes in the leadership structure Mancini stays for sure unless he gets a better offer. Only option I see is the national team, but I don't think they're that dumb.

If those new Chinese investors buy part of the shares I can see them maybe sacking Mancini.

I mean the guy's been in charge for around 75 games now and only good thing he's done is persuading some high reputation players to join, nothing else.

Oh well, next season is also gonna be a torture, hopefully CL qualification can be achieved before the Cholo takeover in 2017.

How is the league decided if both teams are on the same amount of points? Head-to-Head or Goal Difference?

If its Head-to-Head I'm pretty sure Juventus can win the League tonight? Or do they not count away goals if the Head-to-Head is level?

Napoli 2-1 Juventus

Juventus 1-0 Napoli.

Ah, the commentator just said they cant win the title tonight. So the away goal doesnt count double.

Settle down.

But the referees are helping to give us the title as soon as possible, e.g., by disallowing Bernardeschi's goal tonight. :brock:

(I think it was indeed offside.)

tbf that pen was no pen at all, nice dive......only fair buffon saved it

How lucky were Juve with that header right at the very end :D

Why does Roma vs Napoli kick off at 2 o'clock tomorrow. 2 o'clock on a Monday afternoon is a very strange kickoff time.

Why does Roma vs Napoli kick off at 2 o'clock tomorrow. 2 o'clock on a Monday afternoon is a very strange kickoff time.
probably moved to an early kick off since there's a bit of a rivalry between supporters of the two teams

From what I have been seeing, looks like Nainggolan is edging closer to a move to us. Really happy about that. Think he is a fantastic player from what I have seen.

Question is why do Roma seem to be linked with selling all their best players?

Clubs who challenge for the top usually are linked with selling everyone.

By the way, Verona were relegated last week. Hernanes scored his first goal for us. Strootman starts for Roma this afternoon.

Is it likely that Inter get rid off Mancini though?

I think Mancini's days at Inter are going to be very short lived. Unless he takes National Team, which is an unwise, but largely possible move, he will probably stay on for the start of next season, and get fired when his tactics inevitably fail. I think all other teams are going to be better next year, and Inter's lack of a playing style will really start to show. Whilst we all know Simeone would love to manage Inter, I think he also knows that he couldn't possibly have it better at Atlético Madrid. He's really found the perfect club for him there, and I think he will want at least a season in the new stadium. So I think Inter will be looking at other options soon enough...

Archived