Thread for Italian Football 15/16

Why would taking the national team job be unwise? He'd have one of the best group of young players Italy has had for almost 10 years.

It'd be unwise on the part of FIGC. Mancini is not good enough for Italy, and he'd probably drastically fail at man managing the players.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'd have one of the best group of young players Italy has had for almost 10 years.

You are not italian, are you? because it's a common opinion in Italy that the current national team is the weakest we have had for at least the last 40 years, and the same goes for the current generation of young players.

Goalkeepers we are covered as we have at least 3 young ones who will be top class or near top class, for centre-back after Rugani we literally have no decent youngster, no good full-backs aside from Darmian, the only world class young central midfielder (Verratti) has pubalgia.... and don't get me started on the strikers as i might cry.

I mean there are nations whose young players already have champions league experience or play in the best teams around Europe, and then there's Italy whose decent young players still play in teams like Sassuolo (Berardi), Torino (Immobile), or mid range team that barely see any success in Europe like Napoli (Insigne), or barely play in top teams (Rugani, Zaza).

We are doomed to at least another decade of humiliation, sadly.

I am, and that's not really 'current opinion'.

It isn't?

If Italy's talent pool is held in such high esteem like you say, isn't it odd both media and fans have been suggesting, half-jokingly and half-seriously, that TOTTI should be called up for Euro2016?

The "current opinion" IS indeed there hasn't been a weaker side than this one since, well, forever and I think BRC's summary is pretty much spot on.

P.S. and the immediate future looks just as bleak... Not enough depth and, most worryingly, a distinct lack of personality in many of the potential replacements, especially up front.

I thought Romagnoli was highly rated?

He was, but his season at AC Milan has been a huge disappointment... Not entirely his fault though as Milan were awful, but he didn't show enough personality and was also a bit mistake prone.

Probably he'd have fared better in a more solid defensive setup, but he didn't look as good as last year.

Today Walter Sabatini, Roma's director of football, released an interview to Gazzetta Dello Sport speaking about many different subjects, including the current situation of italian young players. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

So only foreigners are dreams. What about the Italians?

“Look, just today I asked my scout to find me a justifiable Italian from Serie D to A. We have examined them all: it’s a disaster. There are none, at Roma they would be supporting actors. Then they say that you only buy abroad. All clichés. Who are the good young Italians? [Federico] Bernardeschi perhaps, or [Alessio] Romagnoli, but [Milan vice-president Adriano] Galliani likely won’t talk about him.”

Full interview here: http://www.gazzettaworld.com/interview/sabatini-roma-duo-england/

But guys, it's just a nobody like Roma's director of football that says the same thing as me, i'm still so full of wrong! it's not worth bothering to reply to me!

Meanwhile, Mancini substitutes his substitute GK so primavere GK who was on the bench can make his debut, as if it was some exhibition game.

And Gnoukouri, one of the best u19 midfielders is sitting on the bench so FenoMelo can play whole game long.

Big relegation battle tonight. Carpi are on 35 points, Palermo are on 36. Carpi I believe have the advantage over Palermo because they drew 2-2 at Palermo, whereas Palermo drew 1-1 at Carpi (away goals).

Palermo plays Hellas Verona at home, whilst Carpi plays Udinese away. Carpi need to win and hope Palermo drop points.

I can see Palermo staying up but it'll be a tough one. There's huge talk that the game has been fixed because Hellas Verona pocket 5M in parachute payments if Carpi go down instead of Palermo.

Nothing that wasn't already been seen before.

Seriously, that's some pretty pathetic stuff... fittingly presented by Maradona, a man who has no right whatsoever to make allegations of questionable wins (as Napoli had their fair share of suspicious situations back in his day).

You could easily put together a similar video for every Top Club in Italy... The matter of the fact is that, as cliché as it sounds, rights and wrongs DO balance eachother out during a 9-months season.

Juventus won coming back from the dead, and there's no amount of "outside interference" that can diminish the value of their win.

Juventus is the best team no doubt, but who knows what would've happened if at least some of those doubtable decisions went the other way, especially during the first 15 games of the season.

If Allegri had lost one more game in that period, he'd probably be gone.

Juventus is the best team no doubt, but who knows what would've happened if at least some of those doubtable decisions went the other way, especially during the first 15 games of the season.

If Allegri had lost one more game in that period, he'd probably be gone.

But you're still looking at it as if Juventus "favourable calls" were the only ones made during the season...

There were some decisions that went AGAINST them, or others that helped their rivals in the title race, so it's an exercise in biased futility.

I'm sure that the fan of every Italian club could come up with a video that shows how his side has been robbed of at least 10-15 points, while their rivals had just as many handed to them... So both Napoli and Roma would have won the league, Inter would be in Champions League, at least half a dozen sides in EL and nobody would have been relegated...

I've dealt with such crap for ages, and I'm now sure that the "correct" league standing will have all sides with 38 points, because every game would end 10-10 with penalties, disallowed goals, wrong offside calls etc...

But you're still looking at it as if Juventus "favourable calls" were the only ones made during the season...

There were some decisions that went AGAINST them, or others that helped their rivals in the title race, so it's an exercise in biased futility.

I'm sure that the fan of every Italian club could come up with a video that shows how his side has been robbed of at least 10-15 points, while their rivals had just as many handed to them... So both Napoli and Roma would have won the league, Inter would be in Champions League, at least half a dozen sides in EL and nobody would have been relegated...

I've dealt with such crap for ages, and I'm now sure that the "correct" league standing will have all sides with 38 points, because every game would end 10-10 with penalties, disallowed goals, wrong offside calls etc...

No, it wouldn't. But whatever.

One decision could've changed the whole season.

And if you put together all the doubtable decisions referees made, you'll see that most 50-50 situations are in the favour of Juve.

Other bigger teams also get more decisions in their favour than against, but not as nearly as much.

Inter wouldn't be in the Champions League because Mancini is a complete idiot, btw.

Well, we had another debate tonight with Honda against Chiellini. I saw the replay only once, and I didn't think the latter touched the former.

We won Coppa Italia. :thup: But only after we made it hard work. Allegri decided to troll the fans and brought Morata on only in the second half of the extra time despite Mandžukić being ineffective. Milan also played very well. Unfortunately, they lacked the finishing, the story of this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived