England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is nobody else.

I'm more concerned by what our midfield will look like. Big times ahead now. No Gerrard or Lampard.

Henderson-Barkley-Wilshere potential long term when all fit? Not sure about that. Crying out for a holding guy there

I'd go the 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond approach. Which would need a holding guy (good defensive minded guy) with Henderson and one of Wilshere/Ox/Barkley alongside him, with Sterling behind Rooney & Sturridge.

Incredible how quickly Jordan Henderson has become the one of the first names on the team sheet.

A lot of our fans will go nuts that Colback is in ahead of Cattermole. I know Cattermole has a bit of a rep but he's been awesome for the last 6 months or so. Difference when he does and doesn't play for us is insane. Different type of player to Colback but 100% know which I'd rather have in my team, especially with a lack of ball winning leaders. That midfield will be bullied

Not sour grapes as I'm really pleased for Colback and our academy staff to have 2 England players. That's awesome for us as we have been awful at producing talent.

First squad in about a decade that really feels like a new era.

Yep, the midfield especially.

Disregarding Milner, Jack Wilshere has the second most amount of caps with 20 and Colback is the second oldest at 24 and 10 months.

Cautiously optimistic considering we still have few names to go back in.

Colback is a funny one with a lot of people. Ray Parlour the other day on talk sport was saying he liked the look of Colback and was looking forward to seeing how he coped in the premier league and asked who he had signed from :D

He's just been ignored by most for so long. Shows how dull we (Sunderland) are that the London media only notice him when he moves. :D He's a decent player but not at this level.

Chambers above Clyne is nonsense really, especially when there isnt any other rightback in the squad.

And Colback... wtf is Hodgson thinking. Like Adam said, would rather see a type like Cattermole who would bully the midfield. My preference wouldve been Huddlestone though above Colback, and kudos to Delph.

Seriously... COLBACK?

It's an obsession with playing a possession game. Hodgson said he set England up to play like Germany but didn't have he players :D

We spend so long trying to copy other teams we don't just pick the best team to suit what we need. Instead we get an adequate ball retention player in the same ilk as Henderson but with nobody to actually win the ball to give to them.

Is genuinely have had Cattermole or Huddlestone in there above him. Probably Huddlestone has earnt it more over a longer period and is the more talented on the ball.

I do genuinely believe cattermole will play for England however. He's the kind that will randomly move to a half decent club at the age of 29/30 and everyone will notice how much difference he makes to a team. He doesn't just kick people :D

Is Huddlestone really that much of a ball winner? Never really seems to me as someone that'll cover multiple km to win the ball or cover other midfielders. Cattermole just would get booked/sent off far too much at International level. Too hot headed at times.

Colback is a funny one with a lot of people. Ray Parlour the other day on talk sport was saying he liked the look of Colback and was looking forward to seeing how he coped in the premier league and asked who he had signed from :D

He's just been ignored by most for so long. Shows how dull we (Sunderland) are that the London media only notice him when he moves. :D He's a decent player but not at this level.

To echo this, few of the southern based journalists are questioning Colback and saying Noble should have been called up.

Huddlestone is better on the ball than Colback from what I've seen. Basically he plays the role Gerrard thought he was playing in Brazil, and considering his performances for Hull since last season, I'm amazed Colback is still considered ahead of him.

Yea that front four flopped at the World Cup so please don't try it again Roy. LEARN!

Hart; Chambers, Jones, Cahil, Baines; Delph/Colback; Henderson, Wilshere; Sterling; Sturridge, Rooney. 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond should be the team for me instead can see it being this.

Hart; Jones, Jags, Cahil, Baines; Henderson, Wilshere; Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge. 4-2-3-1 Basically the same style that floped at the World Cup :thdn:

So basically we've just made the problem we had at the World Cup worse by making Rooney even more undroppable, and having to shoe-horn into a system that he won't fit like usual?

Or are we actually going to try and play 2 up top in some way? Otherwise we've just shot ourselves in the foot again.

So basically we've just made the problem we had at the World Cup worse by making Rooney even more undroppable, and having to shoe-horn into a system that he won't fit like usual?

Or are we actually going to try and play 2 up top in some way? Otherwise we've just shot ourselves in the foot again.

Yep, bang on.

Johnson, Walker, Smalling, Shaw, Gibbs, Lallana, Barkley, Walcott & Rodriguez all injured

not saying they are world beaters but they add strength to the squad. Barkley, Shaw and lallana especially.

just goes to show that once we have a few injuries and now some senior players have retired, the strength in depth is very poor

i'm sure people will be having a go at Roy, or arguing endlessly that Huddlestone or someone should be picked over Colback or some other equally pointless debate but the fact is the premier league clubs are responsible for this. they need to sort it out before England has a chance of doing anything in future

#HodgsonOut for picking Colback and Delph, two AVAILABLE England players that are performing consistently well for their clubs

#HodsgonOut because premier league clubs would rather pay and play veteran average foreign players rather than develop their own talent

I don't see it is a bad thing that some of the current crop are injured and it lets other plays prove there worth. RB slot is a dodgy one - and yes Clyne should of been called up but we need someone to take the reigns on that position, Johnson has shown time after time he's not good enough.

Hope Jones gets a starting roll at CB and not shoehorned in at RB.

Yeah there is quite a bit of talent breaking through or just below that but the issue is will they ever develop

Well yeah, that's the other thing. It relates back to what wiggins was saying about the premier league, will these young player get the chance?

I'd have him in the squad (maybe in place of Stones) but "criminal"? Behave.

Chambers is a RB with Jones and Stones also able to play there, while I disagree I can see why he's missed out.

They can play there but that is the thing, they 'can'. Clyne has been playing there for seasons now. Was very good last season and started this season superbly imo. I think he should be in there for sure.

Fairly sure that the people whining about Clyne not being in the squad would just find something else to moan about if he were present.

I wouldnt. I'd be the guy rooting for Clyne to start over Johnson. Chambers wasn't even a regular for Southampton because of this guy.

I wouldnt. I'd be the guy rooting for Clyne to start over Johnson. Chambers wasn't even a regular for Southampton because of this guy.

Exactly. Chambers goes to Arsenal and has a few good games at CB then gets in. Baffling. With no Johnson or Walker, Clyne should have definitely been there imo.

People just happy to find any stick to beat Roy with, it's not as if Clyne is setting the world alight, he's doing a solid job, if he carries his form on he'll get his chance.

I mean more the medium term future than the long term. It'll be a few years before some of the actual talent reach the right level, and even then how often in the past have England's promising youngsters failed to live up to their early potential?

I agree 100% with that.

Well yeah, that's the other thing. It relates back to what wiggins was saying about the premier league, will these young player get the chance?

Don't get the chance they should grow some and move abroad. We're literally the only country where our players won't go abroad to seek first team football. More then happy to pick up a good packet (Sinclair) then have everyone moan about how the top clubs are not giving them chances etc.

People just happy to find any stick to beat Roy with, it's not as if Clyne is setting the world alight, he's doing a solid job, if he carries his form on he'll get his chance.

He is doing a very good job. Has Colback set the world alight? No one new has actually set the world alight. They have been good. People are entitled to criticise. After all this is the man who guided England to what position in the WC? I rest my case.

He is doing a very good job. Has Colback set the world alight? No one new has actually set the world alight. They have been good. People are entitled to criticise. After all this is the man who guided England to what position in the WC? I rest my case.

Have 2 players playing in Clyne's position like in Colbacks case?

Oh and "I rest my case"? You're a tool.

Archived