• Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
    • Thiago Silva (Brazil)
    • Neymar (Brazil)
    • James Rodriguez (Colombia)
    • Keylor Navas (Costa Rica)
    • Mathieu Valbuena (France)
    • Karim Benzema (France)
    • other

Evidently it's always best to wait until the matches are over to choose this, but we're close enough to the end to start debating this - we can always ammend our choices afterwards anyway.

My picks:

Team of the tournament

Manuel Neuer (Germany)

Jan Vertonghen (Belgium)

Thiago Silva (Brazil)

Mats Hummels (Germany)

Phillip Lahm (Germany)

Javier Mascherano (Argentina)

Sami Khedira (Germany)

Toni Kroos (Germany)

James Rodriguez (Colombia)

Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

Thomas Muller (Germany)

Player of the tournament

Keep in mind that in this category it's pretty rare for FIFA to pick a player that hasn't made it to the final - the only exceptions I can think of from the top of my head are Schilacci in 1990 and Forlan in 2010, both semi-finalists - and I do think that the ability to lead your team into the later stages of the tournament is a fair thing to be judged on. Nevertheless I'm not seeing a clear leading name from either of the finalists (it'd be Messi but not without shining at all in any of the knockout matches).

My picks:

1st. Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

2nd. James Rodriguez (Colombia)

3rd. Mats Hummels (Germany)

Young player of the tournament

The bizarre thing of this category is that the cut-off age pretty much rules out any player that performed well. Very few under 21 players have even been called up for this World Cup, nevermind played regularly and impressed. I can only think of 3 candidates, and struggled to order them:

1st. Divock Origi (Belgium)

2nd. Paul Pogba (France)

3rd. Memphis Depay (Netherlands)

According to FIFA's flawed Castrol index rating system...

Neuer (GER); Thiago Silva (BRA), David Luiz (BRA), Mats Hummels (GER), Stefan de Vrij (NED); Toni Kroos (GER), Wesley Sneijder (NED), Oscar (BRA), James Rodriguez (COL); Arjen Robben (NED), Karim Benzema (FRA)

That's the best XI of the tournament, with Toni Kroos as the best player.

"The award is given to the best player in the tournament who is at most 21 years old. For the 2014 FIFA World Cup this meant that the player had to have been born on or after 1 January 1993."

(which is actually a bit crap because if you were born on 31 December 1992, you would still be 21)

According to FIFA's flawed Castrol index rating system...

Neuer (GER); Thiago Silva (BRA), David Luiz (BRA), Mats Hummels (GER), Stefan de Vrij (NED); Toni Kroos (GER), Wesley Sneijder (NED), Oscar (BRA), James Rodriguez (COL); Arjen Robben (NED), Karim Benzema (FRA)

That's the best XI of the tournament, with Toni Kroos as the best player.

David Luiz. :D

After the 1-7 no way should he be there and Oscar has hardly been brilliant.

Anyway, here's a selection of players who could be in with a decent shout of winning Young Player of the Tournament:

Juan Quintero, Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi, Raphael Varane, Paul Pogba, Memphis Depay

That's really your lot. Gonna assume anyway that the winner will have made it past the Last 16 and had a fairly big say on his nations' performance - so that sort of leaves you with only Depay, Pogba and Varane imo.

I would give it to Varane or Pogba, personally.

David Luiz. :D

After the 1-7 no way should be be there and Oscar has hardly been brilliant.

Yes it's extremely flawed. He was the best rated player of the tournament prior to kick-off v Germany. He has dropped seven (hehehe) places to #8 now.

Anyway, here's a selection of players who could be in with a decent shout of winning Young Player of the Tournament:

Juan Quintero, Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi, Raphael Varane, Paul Pogba, Memphis Depay

That's really your lot. Gonna assume anyway that the winner will have made it past the Last 16 and had a fairly big say on his nations' performance - so that sort of leaves you with only Depay, Pogba and Varane imo.

I would give it to Varane or Pogba, personally.

I didn't even remember Varane or Lukaku. Think Varane has a shot yes. Probably did better than Pogba who was a bit below his best despite the goal vs Nigeria and a few cameo good moments.

TotT:

Neuer; Zabaleta, Thiago Silva, De Vrij, Blind; Mascherano, Kroos, James; Robben, Muller, Neymar.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't fit Messi in there anywhere. Might be a different case after the final but I'd keep this team til then.

The goalkeeper nod could have gone to anyone actually, I reckon there've been like 8-10 of them standing out in this competition, especially Romero who I thought wouldve been a weak link. Centrebacks were also a hard choice as Hummels, Varane, and Vlaar couldve been there and I would still be happy. And Benzema, he doesn't deserve to be knocked out of the tournament that early.

My Player of the Tournament has to be Kroos followed by James and Robben. Mascherano, Messi and Muller might have a strong case against me though.

Swore I always thought the Young Player Award was for those 23 and under in previous seasons, or am I just getting it mixed up with PFA's version? Anyway, thought De Vrij wouldve knicked it, but he's 22. Varane gets my vote for this.

Don't understand Lahm getting into people's team of the tournament :D

Four average as hell games at DM before two good games at RB and he's RB of the tournament? :lol:

Pre-final/third-place I'd say my XI would be something along the lines of:

Neuer; Zabaleta, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Blind; Mascherano, Kroos, James; Valbuena, Muller, Sanchez

Struggled with the front trio - Messi not had a great tournament at all tbh even if he's in the final etc. One good game (v Nigeria) and the rest he's done nothing bar one moment of brilliance. Neymar was great in two group games and average in every other game. Robben was great in the groups and the first knockout game, but what's he done since then? Might as well not have existed in the QF and SF games... I could have put Benzema in there but everybody knows I didn't rate him at all this tournament, so I've ended up going for who impressed me most of all. I was going to put in Schurrle but decided he wasn't worthy ahead of Alexis or Valbuena.

e: Oh and I realise not including any of Messi/Neymar/Robben is controversial or whatever but I think the first two just haven't been impressive at all this tournament and the third has had a very average knockout stage so far.

Four average as hell games at DM before two good games at RB and he's RB of the tournament? :lol:

Neuer; Zabaleta, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Blind; Mascherano, Kroos, James; Valbuena, Muller, Sanchez

You seriously have the same opinions as I do, apart from that front three.

Struggled with the front trio - Messi not had a great tournament at all tbh even if he's in the final etc. One good game (v Nigeria) and the rest he's done nothing bar one moment of brilliance. Neymar was great in two group games and average in every other game. Robben was great in the groups and the first knockout game, but what's he done since then? Might as well not have existed in the QF and SF games... I could have put Benzema in there but everybody knows I didn't rate him at all this tournament, so I've ended up going for who impressed me most of all. I was going to put in Schurrle but decided he wasn't worthy ahead of Alexis or Valbuena.

e: Oh and I realise not including any of Messi/Neymar/Robben is controversial or whatever but I think the first two just haven't been impressive at all this tournament and the third has had a very average knockout stage so far.

Might be true about Lahm but it makes no sense criticising the selection only to include Zabaleta who's had a very underwhelming tournament. A bit better in the knockouts but he was terrible in the group stage and couldn't cope with anyone who ran at him, a big difference to his City form.

Not sure about Rojo but otherwise I'd agree with feche's team.

Also...FIFA have included Di María on their golden ball shortlist :D

I don't get criticisms toward Di María at all. There is nobody else in the Argentinian squad who creates and tries, even Messi hasn't done as well as Di María. If Sabella had had Di María in the semifinal, the Netherlands would have been finished within 90 minutes. There is nobody else who can run. Lavezzi can, but not as well.

Di María did lose a lot of balls. But let's see, if you take him out, Argentina become less good.

Keylor Navas - Ron Vlaar, Stefan de Vrij, Thiago Silva - Juan Cuadrado, Javier Mascherano, Toni Kroos, James Rodriguez, Andres Guardado - Lionel Messi, Thomas Muller

Undecided on the best player, I'd like to see Yedlin in a big European club this summer.

err.. Are you sure you might not be confusing him with Guardado by any chance? :confused:

Haha this has to be what's happened surely? Cuadrado is a right winger who can play RWB (both irl and FM). Guardado is a LB who can play left winger.

err.. Are you sure you might not be confusing him with Guardado by any chance? :confused:

Actually I think I'm confusing him with Armero. I was thinking of that Udinese team I was managing on FM11, my left-back was definitely Armero now thinking about it.

How do I get over that then? Move Blind to left-back and bring in Schweingster?

Might be true about Lahm but it makes no sense criticising the selection only to include Zabaleta who's had a very underwhelming tournament. A bit better in the knockouts but he was terrible in the group stage and couldn't cope with anyone who ran at him, a big difference to his City form.

Still been the best RB to make it past the L16. Not sure including a player who went out in the L16 or sooner is fair/right. But if I had to, Fabian Johnson of the USA would be my pick for RB. Then again, USA went out in the L16, so not sure he's been any better than Zabaleta.

Ochoa

Zabaleta--Vlaar--Demichelis--Cuadrado

Blind--Mascherano

J.Rodriguez--Messi--Robben

Muller

And thats the team.

Attempt 2...

Ochoa

Cuadrado--Vlaar--Demichelis--Blind

Kroos--Macsherano

J.Rodriguez--Messi--Robben

Muller

I know hes at RB but I'd have thought he'd be competent enough to play there, bombing down the right at every opportunity.

Demichelis has only played twice :D

Been great in both games tbf but I agree, he shouldn't be listed as the best CB (or top two, w/e).

Belgium and Netherlands? Was more impressed with him than Garay tbh. Was sure he played against Iran aswell.

His first game of the tournament was v Belgium :thup:

No I didn't. I said he was a player who could be considered for the award. As in, an U21 player who played in a few games.

If you read my post, you'll see that I said the only real contenders were Pogba, Varane and Depay. From my post:

that sort of leaves you with only Depay, Pogba and Varane imo.

But yeah, I praised Lukaku's performances and said he was a shoe in :rolleyes:

I thought my post was pretty clear in admitting I misread :D Rambler is also hardly an insult.

Reading that post again btw, and you said "players with a decent shout of winning it" which is much different to any old "U21 player who played a few games".

Team;

Guillermo Ochoa (Mexico)

Fabian Johnson (USA)

Mats Hummels (Germany)

Stefan De Vrij (Netherlands)

Ricardo Rodriguez (Switzerland)

Toni Kroos (Germany)

Javier Mascherano (Argentina)

Alexis Sanchez (Chile)

Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

James Rodriguez (Colombia)

Thomas Muller (Germany)