Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

I am RUFC, got to Championship comfortably. New update to ME came, couldnt buy a win, got sacked. Started again, got sacked after 15 games. Started again got sacked after 22 games with 1 and 2 wins respectively. Started again and im on my 9th game without a win.

I've tried lots of different formations. I dominate some matches and get battered others but still lose, my players ignore me, my strikers can't score, my defenders can't mark. You wouldnt believe the combinations ive tried. this is my 13th year so am i all of a sudden terrible at this? Is anyone else struggling? i mean 4 wins across 40 games on 4 saves? whats going on?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Cougar. Ive made the switch and in the next 6 games we won 4 and drew 2 (against Arsenal away and utd at home). Suarez has 6 in 6, compared to 8 in the 16 games prior to the chance. We also finally won a game when the other team had a man sent off for the first time since the update (fourth or fifth attempt).

Good stuff :)

Its actually fairly similar to my current tactic.

I was having a lot of problems with the chances of goal comparing my team and the opposite team, and the oposite team just shooted a couple of times and scored and my team with 20 shoots more or less and final score 1-1.

I started to only made a general speak to the team because i gave a general speak and after a personal speak and it's seems to me that enter in conflict that options, now i fully enjoy this patch the bug to me was in the lectures.

Seriously, this has happened 3 times so far this season. I got fed up and quit the game, loaded it up later on tonight and tried to play the same match and the same goal occurred. WTF IS THIS?

[video=youtube;lgY6TwCpkA0]

This is also happening far too often...

[video=youtube;eBH9GS1ebGw]

First game in my new Genoa save, pre-season friendly at home to PSG - One of the best own goals I've ever seen

[video=youtube;qZLrOgAQ6hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLrOgAQ6hs

:lol:

TBH I think the ME is wrong calling some of the own goals...own goals. When a shot goes off the keeper and into the net it doesnt matter if he sorta had it in his hands or it went off his head the striker gets the goal....because it was a great shot that the keeper couldnt handle. I think a keeper own goal should be very very rare. As for accidental headers and defenders doing a crap job of clearing thats another story.

Many flaw in the ME first touch is horrendous, strickers are useless but the corners are definetly bugged. After 30 games played(i'm Udinese) i received 30 goals:

- 11(!!!) from corners - 37% is way to high

- 1 from IFK

- 1 from DFK

- 2 from penalty

Soo 15 goals from set piece exactly 50% of goals...this has to be wrong when in real life 25-30% are from set piece. My last game vs Inter final result 2-2 with opposition scoring 2 from corners, also one of my goals was also from corners. I lost with Napoli 3-0 some games before with all goals...u guessed corners...they had 6 corners and scored 3, maybe some world record!

I know the patch will come febr-march but we need a quick mini patch at least for corners, is gamebreaking. Hate corners!

And also 2 own goals(allow) of course from corners...this result in 17 goals from 30 from set pieces 57%!!!!

ps: Sorry my poor english, not my first language.

Many flaw in the ME first touch is horrendous, strickers are useless but the corners are definetly bugged. After 30 games played(i'm Udinese) i received 30 goals:

- 11(!!!) from corners - 37% is way to high

- 1 from IFK

- 1 from DFK

- 2 from penalty

Soo 15 goals from set piece exactly 50% of goals...this has to be wrong when in real life 25-30% are from set piece.

The bigger issue here is your team only scoring 30 goals in 30 games. To have scored just eleven goals from corners in 30 games doesn't seem excessive, that's less than one every two games. You perhaps need to focus on why your team isn't scoring more, which sounds tactical.

Also, what are the stats for the rest of the league? Do the top scoring teams in the league also have the same percentage of corner goals? If it's all the same percentage regardless of goals scored, then there is an issue there, and you should report it.

No! I scored 55 goals, i allow 30 goals 1 per game!

League average going by those screenshots is around 19%.

174 goals from corners from 903 goals in total if I've counted correctly. Not sure what the real life average is in Italy, but it seems the league average is quite a bit lower than yours.

Don't know about the rest of the league or how the ME works AI vs AI but for me the percent is 57% goals allow from set pieces and 43%(!) corners(counting also the 2 own goals from corners). I keep all my players behind, i also keep my stricker in the box, mark tall players, don't know what else can i do.

Don't know about the rest of the league or how the ME works AI vs AI but for me the percent is 57% goals allow from set pieces and 43%(!) corners(counting also the 2 own goals from corners). I keep all my players behind, i also keep my stricker in the box, mark tall players, don't know what else can i do.

You're looking at it too negatively. Your team has only conceded one goal per match for the whole season, that's a very good defensive record. What's even better, is that only 47% of these goals have come from open play. You should be pleased with that. I'd be delighted with that.

I think the main issue I see with a lot of negative posts here is the type of goals scored and the abysmal record of the main strikers. Games seems to go like this.....multiple attacks by your team, many corners(many scrambles resulting in defence hoofing it), loads of shots either missing or being miraculously saved by a bog standard keeper(strikers morale goes down as they can't hit a barn door). When you do score it's from a scrambled corner, a penalty or once in a blue moon from a decent bit of play.............opposition 2 attacks, 4 passes goal or a goal from a corner, result usually ends 2-1 but with no enjoyment of watching and playing the game.

You can win with this game but the enjoyment factor has gone as you feel totally out of control with it........players shoot from outside area, when they've been instructed to play into the box.......striker shoots on sight when instructed to shoot less......1 on 1's don't happen, even when the striker has all the attributes to do so easily.........and watching good players unable to pass or control the ball with 10-5 yd passes, well enough said.

I've said before that getting the balance right is obviously difficult and when tweaking certain bugs other appear, we are now devising tactics to play against a bugged game instead of playing against a normal ME, hence why when an update happens a lot of peoples tactics don't work and a new one is needed. If SI don't get it right soon, then this might end up being another turkey like FM13 was.

I've just been having a conversation with miles on twitter who has confirmed there are now plans for a match engine hotfix, he listened to my gripes and did his best to answer them, I hope getting this answer will help! No at least I can go away and play the game to the best of its current ability!

I've just been having a conversation with miles on twitter who has confirmed there are now plans for a match engine hotfix, he listened to my gripes and did his best to answer them, I hope getting this answer will help! No at least I can go away and play the game to the best of its current ability!

Miles Jacobson ‏@milesSI 12m

@skeldon619 there are no current plans for a match engine hotfix.

I think you misread?

Yeah I was thinking of doing that but then I was scared people would tell me it 'obviously' wasn't a CCC or something along those lines. The other thing that deterred me was that there are many more instances of chances which look very clear cut, and still yet aren't counted as so. I thought it might just be the strange way the ME defines CCCs. Will have to keep an eye out in the future.

Just going back to this conversation from yesterday.

If a striker/player doesn't take a shot FM doesn't class it as a CCC, which is certainly annoying.

I've just watched a match where a midfielder played a great through ball for my AMR who had a slightly heavy touch, was one on one with the GK but as the keeper claimed the ball at the wingers feet it wasn't a CCC or even a shot.

Is this part of the issue?

Should this be classed as a CCC?

Was it a good scoring chance?

I certainly see lots of good scoring chances that don't register due to last ditch tackles, GK claims etc.

So commentary only it is, I can't watch matches in current ME state, it's too painful. I suppose next ME version will be out late February/early March with data update. So let's clear things up: ME was enjoyable for 6 weeks (beta + after 14.1.4 when finally fullbacks did something). 16 weeks is period of time from game release to last patch (approximately). So 6 out of 16 weeks we could play without major annoying bugs, nice ratio.

Thought you wanted a hotfix. We could have told you that you could play the game to the best of it's current ability :D either way glad you have the answer you wanted :thup:

What i/we as the community wanted was some sort of clarity on if these reported issues (if proven as bugs) would be fixed sooner rather than later,i understand you get no warning about new patches/hot fixes until they land on your doorstep. But would it hurt anyone to say yeah were working on a few fixes that'll be out before the january update? That we acknowledge certain things in the game aren't **** on or simply sorry no new fixes will be out until the january patch

What i/we as the community wanted was some sort of clarity on if these reported issues (if proven as bugs) would be fixed sooner rather than later,i understand you get no warning about new patches/hot fixes until they land on your doorstep. But would it hurt anyone to say yeah were working on a few fixes that'll be out before the january update? That we acknowledge certain things in the game aren't **** on or simply sorry no new fixes will be out until the january patch

The reason they don't is because they don't usually have a time frame, and the last time they gave a vague timescale, they ended up having to hold it back, and the forums burst in to flamey rage.

If you are looking to know if a specific issue is being reviewed, always check the bugs section.

Just going back to this conversation from yesterday.

If a striker/player doesn't take a shot FM doesn't class it as a CCC, which is certainly annoying.

I've just watched a match where a midfielder played a great through ball for my AMR who had a slightly heavy touch, was one on one with the GK but as the keeper claimed the ball at the wingers feet it wasn't a CCC or even a shot.

Is this part of the issue?

Should this be classed as a CCC?

Was it a good scoring chance?

I certainly see lots of good scoring chances that don't register due to last ditch tackles, GK claims etc.

If a player doesn't take a shot.... On the face of it, if he doesn't take a shot then NO, is shouldn't be classed as a CCC. It's a grey area though, isn't it? What if the striker is clean through and decides not to take the shot but to round the keeper. Maybe he mis-controls the ball or maybe the keeper gets a hand to it as the striker rounds him. No goal, but surely that was a CCC?

To be safe, I think it should stay as it is. CCC or not is decided at the time of the shot. If there's no shot, it isn't a CCC.

What if the striker is clean through and decides not to take the shot but to round the keeper. Maybe he mis-controls the ball or maybe the keeper gets a hand to it as the striker rounds him. No goal, but surely that was a CCC?

If there's no shot, it isn't a CCC.

What?? Are you kidding? :)

this is disheartening :( was hoping for a surprise new years eve patch like the Christmas eve one we had last year

same here FM14 is unplayable for me now.

shame because this is the first Fm/cm in 15 years i will not play because of a patch.

Snap,even if it was to tone down the goals from corners or the silly goalkeeper mistakes

For there to a hotfix, there has to be a fix. Are there too many goals from corners? or actually too many corners in general? In either scenario you then have to work out what's actually causing it. That's BEFORE you even start to address it and then check for knock on effects. Even for something as seemingly innocuous as that, its actually still quite complicated and nowhere near as quick to do as some people think.

The reason they don't is because they don't usually have a time frame, and the last time they gave a vague timescale, they ended up having to hold it back, and the forums burst in to flamey rage.

No they did not. There were a couple of complaints, but most were happy to know where they stood regarding any updates. Some people will complain anyway and the loudest were the ones who would otherwise cry about not being updated.

Honestly, no offense, but sometimes the mods on here are as bad with their hyperbole as the 'game is broken' crowd.

No they did not. There were a couple of complaints, but most were happy to know where they stood regarding any updates. Some people will complain anyway and the loudest were the ones who would otherwise cry about not being updated.

Honestly, no offense, but sometimes the mods on here are as bad with their hyperbole as the 'game is broken' crowd.

It's comic effect, but actually, you'd be surprised by the number of posts we had to remove.

Miles Jacobson ‏@milesSI 12m

@skeldon619 there are no current plans for a match engine hotfix.

I think you misread?

Lets hope there is a hot fix for some of the other non ME issues (such as the Set Pieces Board Promise bug I flagged up)

For there to a hotfix, there has to be a fix. Are there too many goals from corners? or actually too many corners in general? In either scenario you then have to work out what's actually causing it. That's BEFORE you even start to address it and then check for knock on effects. Even for something as seemingly innocuous as that, its actually still quite complicated and nowhere near as quick to do as some people think.

Not once did i think it took minutes to fix anything in this game nor was i implying that. I was just hopeful some of the issues/potentail issues couldve been fixed sooner rather than later. I was hopeful not expectant.

There are too many corners and too many goals from corners not directly from a cross onto someones head but as soon as the ball is cleared its mayhem in the box.

If/when the match engine is upto a good standard why so many major changes? Why not tweak a few things year after year and update players abilities/ratings and team squads but keep the playability of the game somewhat similiar. Not go for a major overhaul year after year wher it takes 6 months t irn the game out

Lets hope there is a hot fix for some of the other non ME issues (such as the Set Pieces Board Promise bug I flagged up)

Its mainly the corners for me as i said its not directly the goal from the cross its the goal that comes after the ping pong, i dont want to create a tactic to defeat match engines i just want to create a good tactic

Its mainly the corners for me as i said its not directly the goal from the cross its the goal that comes after the ping pong, i dont want to create a tactic to defeat match engines i just want to create a good tactic

When you say ping pong, are you talking about an inability to clear the ball?

It's not an inibility i have toyed with having everyone back but everytime a free kick/corner lands in the box its panic stations,yes this happens in football but most of the time its a straight forward headed goal or clearance,

Are you going to say it's my tactics?

Not once did i think it took minutes to fix anything in this game nor was i implying that. I was just hopeful some of the issues/potentail issues couldve been fixed sooner rather than later. I was hopeful not expectant.

There are too many corners and too many goals from corners not directly from a cross onto someones head but as soon as the ball is cleared its mayhem in the box.

If/when the match engine is upto a good standard why so many major changes? Why not tweak a few things year after year and update players abilities/ratings and team squads but keep the playability of the game somewhat similiar. Not go for a major overhaul year after year wher it takes 6 months t irn the game out

Is there though?

Its not just your save thats important its everyones and not everyone is experiencing too many corners or too many goals from corners, at least not to the extent some people are claiming on the forum. I posted stats from some of my games last season earlier in the thread (Post #1537) showing over ten games last season I averaged 5.9 corners per match and the opposition 6.5 per match.

i've just beaten ascoli 4-2 and upon their first goal a "chav" in a black tracksuit is waltzing accross the pitch whilst play is continuing, he's the most clothed streaker ever or something isn't right. I have no idea how to upload a pkm or whatever they are

It's not an inibility i have toyed with having everyone back but everytime a free kick/corner lands in the box its panic stations,yes this happens in football but most of the time its a straight forward headed goal or clearance,

Are you going to say it's my tactics?

I was actually going to ask you to post pkms of the worst examples

Is there though?

Its not just your save thats important its everyones and not everyone is experiencing too many corners or too many goals from corners, at least not to the extent some people are claiming on the forum. I posted stats from some of my games last season earlier in the thread (Post #1537) showing over ten games last season I averaged 5.9 corners per match and the opposition 6.5 per match.

For every one person saying the corners are correct you've got ten saying they aren't,i can only speak on my own games and im averaging a lot more than 5.9 id rather lose because my team isnt good enough or my tactics are off not because of anything else

If a player doesn't take a shot.... On the face of it, if he doesn't take a shot then NO, is shouldn't be classed as a CCC. It's a grey area though, isn't it? What if the striker is clean through and decides not to take the shot but to round the keeper. Maybe he mis-controls the ball or maybe the keeper gets a hand to it as the striker rounds him. No goal, but surely that was a CCC?

To be safe, I think it should stay as it is. CCC or not is decided at the time of the shot. If there's no shot, it isn't a CCC.

I think there is certainly an issue with what FM classes as a CCC/half chance and what users view on the 3d which leads to at least some of the frustration we see on the forums (Even before talking about whether a non-shot should be a chance).

Taking my last match for example I had 11 shots (one half chance), opposition had 5 shots (three half chances), now that doesn't match my perception of the game watching on comprehensive highlights.

My half chance was a square ball to my MCL just outside the box who blasted over the bar. Yet a right wing cross where my ST got in front of his marker and headed against the bar or my AML cutting inside the fullback and hitting the side netting didn't register as even a half chance.

The opposition had three half chances according to FM but I would have said they had one clear chance and nothing else. One half chance for example was a blast across goal from the AML who was about 3 yards from the byline on the edge of the 18 yard box.

For every one person saying the corners are correct you've got ten saying they aren't,i can only speak on my own games and im averaging a lot more than 5.9 id rather lose because my team isnt good enough or my tactics are off not because of anything else

Is part of it perception though?

You say you are averaging a lot more than that but have you actually looked at the stats? Go back though your last ten games, how many corners have you had each game?

Archived