FM14: The Sky Bet Football League Thread - Sponsored by William Hill

Hoarau

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading this thread inspired me to start in League Two, haven't decided on a team though. Which one would be the best for maintaining mid-table mediocrity without sinking financially?

Think Plymouth would be an interesting save, being a former Championship mid table team before they dropped. personally I'd like to try out Pompey, bring back the glory days and all that! :thup:

Update......

Still in September but surprisingly doing better than I though given I only signed one player on loan..Lasse Vigen from Fulham, I know who R ya who R ya! :lol:

Looking at the squad in all fairness it's not as bad as many think

Burn is in the same mould as the departed Davis, Just need an old fashioned hoof the ball hard tackler DC as Bartley is too simular ....the FB positions with Murphy and Caddis and ample back-up are covered

DMC - Mullins is doing a good job - could still do with a back-up

With Burke Ferguson and Koby on the wings, again enough depth in that department

Shinnie (who was touted to be one of the best prospects outside the SPL) is doing a grand job dictating the gameplay

Matt Green is more than capable of holding his own in this division , Prolific.good poacher, IMO enough to get me out of the division...so onto the last few results..

QPR 2-1 Birmingham (Green)

Controlled the first half with Green lobbing in from longe range, was really confident in getting at least a draw then came the 2nd half

They brought Assou-Ekotto on and he dominated the AML tormenting the usually good Caddis but was bitterly disappointed with both goals ricocheting off Randolphs legs to creep in , both shots were tame.

Had a last 20 minute ralie but the in form and POTM Julio Cesar made several magnificent saves to deny me a point

Burnley 1-1 Birmingham (Shinnie)

Just about got a point here in a bore draw, nowt much to report as it was over as quick as it started, only bright spark was Michael Kightly, played well and dersevingly got POTM

Birmingham 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday (Ferguson, Novak (2) )

Yes yes yes!! Novak played a blinder :lol: after coming on for the injured Green in an easy 3-0 win.

We dominated throughout controlling the game , SWFC never had a shot on target which pretty much sums the game up, after our loss and draw we came back to win in style

League as it stands (top 5)

Birmingham City - 19

QPR - 18

Huddersfield -17

Wigan -16

Charlton -15

Not at all a bad start seeming Wigan spent nearly ÂŁ6 million and I spent a measly 2K monthly fee loan deal :lol:

Will update after the January Transfer Window! :thup:

just had a tycoon takeover collapse i hate carson with a passion,on top of that lost in the league cup semi final to bristol city so pissed off :(

Damn!! have never had a tycoon takeover bet u was pissed!

Good you got to the semi's mate seeming the predicament were in :thup:

too right i was pissed,thing is after the bristol game i knocked arsenal out of the fa cup weird,just signed robert earnshaw on a free recalledd green and sent novak out on loan to barnsley.can someone make a blues thread i`m hopless at stuff like that seems like a good challenge this season

Making some really good free signings there krosotv..I only managed to get a very average loanee to make the numbers up , Missed out on Adam Vass, being top of the league is above all expectations in my save HAHA.

Would love a Blues thread but I ain't got the time to make one right now , maybe when the full version is out I'l try :thup:

Playing a bit with Sheff UTD.Had 1,5 million to spend in the beggining which is a nice sum for League 1.Mostly I rely on loan players (Lundstram is very good in midfield) + Ebanks Blake on free transfer.After half a season gone i am rolling between 5 and 8 place all the time.My form is shaky to say the least.Bad start that almost cost me job after that few good wins in a row so i am looking forward to build in January transfer window to make a push for straight promotion.Will be though to becouse Wolves and Petersbrough are almost 10 points ahead and then is a battle from third to 10 place.

Was planning to build around Harry Maguire but he forced his transfer to Crystal Palace early on.At least i got 4 million pound for him which was quite good.

Does anyone has any player recomendation?

Other then that i quite enjoy this save and i am planning to do a long term save aswell after game is released.

I've started a save with Portsmouth. They were one of my more enjoyable/frustrating challenges in FM13 and with the added aim of having to get out of League 2 and contend with FFP I imagine they will be much the same this year, although thankfully with a much more stable boardroom set-up.

I have quite ambitious plans for Pompey, especially considering that my tactical understanding of FM is limited to say the least and that League 2 maybe isn't the best starting point for a footballing revolution. I want to turn them into the Southsea Barcelona, basically (that's even the title of my save :lol: ). The emphasis is very much on possession football and developing youth players - the latter philosophy basically a reaction to FFP and the club's financial constraints.

I've set up with a 4-1-2-2-1 system, which has always been my preferred formation anyway. Obviously Portsmouth aren't Barcelona, so there are a few tweaks. The full-back's are limited, for example. And David Connolly isn't Lionel Messi. Johnny Ertl is an anchor man and I guess that basically means I'm playing with a back five. I'm playing with a BBM and Simon Ferry, my best passer, is the deep-lying playmaker/Xavi. The two wide players are inside forwards. I've been reading up a lot on the various Barcelona/possession threads in the tactic forum and borrowed many of the ideas in the formation of my tactic. It's basically all about getting the ball into the middle of the park.

I've made a couple of loan signings to bolster the squad, and recalled Adam Webster from his loan. I've taken Neil Etheridge (GK) on loan from Fulham, Rob Kiernan (DC/DM) from Wigan to utilise as my BPD, Darnell Fisher (RB) from Celtic and I'm looking for another striker. The likes of Jed Wallace, Ashley Harris, Adam Webster and Jack Maloney should see me fulfiill the youth development philosophy this season.

Only played three games so far and the results have been encouraging. Absolutely battered Oxford in the opening game of the season, yet only came away with a 2-1 win - thanks largely to their aggressive tactics which resulted in about four injuries and me finishing the game with ten men. We pummelled Wolves away in the Capital One Cup but came away with a 5-1 thrashing. However, it's all about getting out of League 2 this season and we maintained a 100% start to the campaign with a straightforward 3-1 win at Accrington.

So, in summary:

vs Oxford - 2-1W; 58% possession; 14 shots to 5

vs Wolves - 5-1L; 57% possession; 17 shots to 8

vs Accrington - 3-1W; 55% possession; 12 shots to 4

Obviously a very small sample, but I'm happy so far.

Love your ethos jukebox, very ambitious.

I've just been messing around just now, basically using the beta to get a roughish grip on the new tactical layouts. Once I start my save on the full release I reckon it's gonna be with Fleetwood, I do see a reoccurring issue becoming really apparent and that is the FFP.

I feel, much like Jogo and others that the days of signing a bunch of free transfers are over and developing young players will be the bread and butter for most clubs to build from.

Have had to stop my Brentford save - a data error has Harlee Dean's contract run out in June 2014 when he singed a new deal in July lasting till 2016. He won't even consider a new deal with me :(

Have reported it so it should be sorted for the release next week (when I'll be back)

won the championship first season with birmingham only bringing in free transfers and only losing 4 league games,time for the premiership:).the takeover has happened :) marvin hubert has become chairman ****off carson and pannu

Nice one mate wow you got through that season quick! I'm not even a quarter the way through, what budget did you get for the coming season from your new chairman? I hope I get took over

This threads kinda quiet ...usually loads going on haha , well anyway on my Birmingham save currently top 11 points clear, re-signed David Bentley on a free on 9K a week

Just coming into the January window with a massive 500K to spend!

Desperate for a ST as Green has decided to go on a goal drought! but he scored in my last game in a thrilling 1-2 away to Derby, currently targeting Matty Fryatt for a Mill (350K up front the rest upon promotion)

Come on lads (Jogo and the crew) let's get some feedback on your saves :D

I'm just messing around on the beta still, trying to get a feel for tactics with a couple of losses saves. Once the full release drops ill finally get round to picking a League side and starting my long, painful journay.

Decided to start with Wolves, big club that shouldn't be in league 1 at all, the money is good to have but I haven't really gone out and bought anybody yet. I have however sold all the high earners (roger johnson, kevin doyle etc etc). Currently sitting in 3rd position after a few slip ups to battling sides, only 3 points behind 1st and second. Loving the beta so far

Can't wait to start on a Crewe Alex save, but I'll be waiting until the full game is released. Anyone else going to be starting a save with Crewe? They always produce top quality youngsters!

It all boils down too Dario Gradi, the mans a legend :applause:

Thanks nicko, getting settled here again now.

Apart from you Birmingham guys, it's good to see mentions of Crewe, Coventry and Portsmouth (all amongst the FL clubs I managed in FM13).

I'll probably start FM14 with Coventry again (it might be the ultimate FL challenge this year) but Wolves, Peterborough, Sheff Utd, Shrewsbury and maybe Oldham carry some appeal in L1, for differing reasons. Worryingly, I also have a shortlist of eight sides to consider in L2 (including Portsmouth, Fleetwood, Burton and Scunthorpe) so I'm going to be busy in here again. Somehow I need to find some space to fit in all these attempts in addition to those in other English leagues (Championship, Skrill, perhaps PL) and many other countries where I want to try my hand!

My save is a little bit of a problem at the moment. I am still Yeovil. Sitting mid table but hit a crash which SI said will be fixed for release. Coming towards the end of March. The crash cost me 2 points against Leicester as well at their place. But still pleased with how we're going and with 8 games to go, 15 points ahead of 22nd and 9 off 6th.

Started as Pompey, currently in December and third in the league, with Hartlepool and York the teams above me. I tried to avoid signing tonnes of players, but I ended up signing Iain Turner, Marius Zaliukas, Emile Mpenza, Donal McDermott and Luis Boa Morte. Playing a asymmetrical formation, working well I think.

I recommend Boa Morte in the shadow striker role, he is an absolute demon at this level and his wages are reasonable for many teams.

he likes of Jed Wallace, Ashley Harris, Adam Webster and Jack Maloney should see me fulfiill the youth development philosophy this season.

Jed Wallace has been superb for me in the BWMd (and occasionally WMs) role, Ashley Harris was looking good for me until he got an injury for four months :(. On the other hand, Webster was disappointing and he's complaining about the lack of first team football as Zaliukas (free transfer) and N'Gala have kept him out of the team.

Have you tried the CM from the youth academy? He's 16 with 4.5 star potential, but I can't remember nor spell his name (and I'm not on my laptop). Give him a try, he's quality.

Update , update, update

Just a quick update, currently half way through the January transfer window.

Top of the league with 25 games played on 61 points, Wigan - Leicester - QPR on 45/43/41 points respectively so a nice 16 point gap between myself and 2ND

Seems like the old FM13 curse in regards to selling of players has returned with 6 players on between 7.40 and 7.95 but not one club interested and with my strict policy of one player out one in, I'm relying on off-loading 2 players in positions I've got more than covered to strenghten areas that need attention.

Looking for a ST...DMC...and a DC in that order

Players Out

Wade Elliott

Paul Robinson

Callum Preston

Reece Brown

Totaling- ÂŁ405K Income

Players In

David Bentley - free

So as you can see I'm on a extremely tight transfer/wage budget and even with that bit of money coming in, my wage budget is at a low so signing free transfers seems impossible

To summarize it looks as though I've got to accept what I've got and push for promotion for that much needed TV Prem money to add to my cofters :thup:

Decided to start with Wolves, big club that shouldn't be in league 1 at all, the money is good to have but I haven't really gone out and bought anybody yet. I have however sold all the high earners (roger johnson, kevin doyle etc etc). Currently sitting in 3rd position after a few slip ups to battling sides, only 3 points behind 1st and second. Loving the beta so far

Exactly what I have done. I sold Johnson, Hennessy and Doyle and brought in a lot of free transfers like Mike Howard and Fitz Hall, Simon Davies, Julio Cesar and a french winger whose name I forgot. Additionally I bought Jenkins from Watford and Semedo.

Currently sitting in 1st place after 11 games (8w 2d 1l)

Hi Guys,

Just sat down with the Beta, and have to say although I think they'll be there or thereabouts I think 2nd bottom is a bit hard for Shrewsbury Town.

Maybe I'm just biased lol :) - anyway, giving them a go (and got a FMC game with FK Vidar, which I'll be able to cross-play when the FMV version comes out).

I echo what someone else said above about the staff situation - limits are FAR too restrictive - kinda makes you stick with what you've got e.g. I have 4 or 5 coaching staff in various roles, if i mutually terminate them and want to bring in my own men, I'm allowed two coaches, and that's it. :confused:

Ah, you guys have tempted me in to it! Going to give a Birmingham save a go like on FM13!

@Plainlayzee and Jogo you 2 keep drawing me back in to the lower leagues ;)

Haha good luck with your Birmingham save, it's a toughie this year!, on the plus side it's not that bad a squad as long as you play the players to their strengths you should be challenging for a play-off spot or better :thup:

I like the interest in Coventry! I did consider making a thread for them but don't know enough about the real facts of their ownership/financial issues, so think I'll just stick to this 'homely' thread instead.

@ kitcub: Good to see another new name (Shrewsbury) mentioned. They're one that interests me as it's been a few years since I managed them (Grant Holt, League 2 days) and they now have a seriously small squad to work with. I'm guessing they have no cash to splash?

I think with the majority of these clubs, the new 'features' are almost forcing you to stick with the majority of existing players (due to agent fees being in transfer budget) and staff (due to issues with numbers). It certainly brings a new twist to the challenges ahead - and even tough I think it might have been better without these changes, I'm looking forward to it.

I'll agree with that Jogo. However, why not have an attempt at the Coventry thread? There's enough facts on the internet and if you PM G-Man11 he might be able to give you a better insight and help you.

Whilst I'm waiting for my Yeovil save to be fixed. I have started a save as my beloved Forest. All I will say for the time being is I am still in pre-season which is going good. I've shipped out four senior players and signed four senior players. A number of youngsters have gone out on loan and I have extended the contracts of all players I want to keep barring one youngster. I've managed to get the board to give me more of a wage budget and get rid of the one philosophy that I had but didn't like. I've managed to persuade them to improve the youth facilities and I've signed a few under 18s coaches and one fitness coach for my first team. I'm playing a 4-2-2-2 type formation but it's a bit lopsided.

I think with the majority of these clubs, the new 'features' are almost forcing you to stick with the majority of existing players (due to agent fees being in transfer budget) and staff (due to issues with numbers). It certainly brings a new twist to the challenges ahead - and even tough I think it might have been better without these changes, I'm looking forward to it.]

Couldn't agree more there mate, I had 2 potential free transfers of which I agreed terms for only to find I couldn't afford the agent or player signing on fee's so it does certainly make it a challenge.

What I do like is the interact with board if you want to sign a player out of your reach, I know it was in the last version but seems more effective in this one ( I used it to try to sign Matty Fryatt for a million, agreed fee and terms but the game crashed) so there is some leeway as I didn't have no where near ÂŁ1 million in my transfer budget, nice feature :thup:

I like the interest in Coventry! I did consider making a thread for them but don't know enough about the real facts of their ownership/financial issues, so think I'll just stick to this 'homely' thread instead.
I'll agree with that Jogo. However, why not have an attempt at the Coventry thread? There's enough facts on the internet and if you PM G-Man11 he might be able to give you a better insight and help you.

I'll make a thread myself if you want just need to wait till I get the game. Haven't created one of these threads in a few years mind but here's the last one I did:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/155681-FM10-The-Championship-Thread-Featuring-Newcastle-Roy-Keane-s-Ipswich-and-others.

So I couldn't wait till next weekend, I started up my football league save this evening and I'm gonna mess about with it until Friday.

I've settled in Fleetwood Town of League 2, tight finances but a reasonable squad. Interested to see how restrictive it is with the FFP rules in place. I've actually been eyeing up some talent whe playing other saves, here's a couple of names I reccomed that you have a look if your in need..

- Aaron Spear - Striker, currently playing in Iceland with iPV. He seems to go in a free transfer around September time, decent enough already for L2 and maybe has some potential to grow.

- Chris Hogg - A former SPL player but don't hold that against him. He's very capable and the bonus is he's on a free. Unsure if I can tempt him to league 2 but he'd surely go to anyone above us.

Set up wise I'm gonna go the opposite from a lot of FM users nowadays, I think I'm gonna play rough, horrible "Wimbledon-esque" punt & rush football. Want us to be quick, strong & hard in the tackle while getting the ball either wide and in or direct to the box for possible a target man & poacher to scrap over. Not sure of the exact details but that's my ethos tactically and recruitment wise.

Can't wait. Hope to see more if you gents taking the plunge and updating us.

Is anyone doing a Crewe Alex thread? I would do but I don't have the time to do it justice. I'm currently them and looking to play only home grown players. Be nice if someone did one am sure there will be some fans on here.

Archived