*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

The first one is a no-brainer, the other are not so obvious & the positioning of the opponents makes an attempted through ball riskier, maybe the low create freedom is stopping your AMC going for the through ball pass.

This all assumes that he forward is making the appropriate movement to encourage the through ball.

The first one is a no brainer, but I'm wondering about the role (Poacher) and the player here. I've rarely seen a player in my save turn down that kind pass, but then they have roles and attributes that actively encourage through balls. The others are certainly a lot riskier though, balance of risk vs reward. The side is leaning towards shorter passes and a lower CF meaning less freedom to attempt the unexpected

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with this (for 2nd goal), he not only has someone all over him (cos he will with new physical mechs) he also has the covering DC likely to mop up. How is his decision making, maybe he decided it was in fact too risky and found it was more more important to keep possession.

I completely disagree.

In the 2nd instance there are actually 3 options (wide forward on the right). My poacher Paloschi has 17 for off the ball and 16 for anticipation.it's the kind of opening that Poachers and creators THRIVE on. A quick dash of pace to beat the defender followed by an inch perfect through ball (he has 18 for passing) will result in at least a shot on target.

You've got to remember what my not be obvious to us should be obvious to a playmaker with 18 for creativity. That's 18 out of 20, Xavi and Zidane territory! How can they not see passes that even I can see. All my assists come from crosses; it's the first fm game I've had this kind of problem with and I'm not the only one. I could show you even more obvious through ball opportunities than that.

I mean AMCs and playmakers in general are very limited in their use to a point where they're almost useless. Why can't people just accept this match engine has been a disaster. Super Wingers, No through Balls, Dodgy Keepers, Bad Defending etc etc

The first one is a no brainer, but I'm wondering about the role (Poacher) and the player here. I've rarely seen a player in my save turn down that kind pass, but then they have roles and attributes that actively encourage through balls. The others are certainly a lot riskier though, balance of risk vs reward. The side is leaning towards shorter passes and a lower CF meaning less freedom to attempt the unexpected
I'd definitely look more closely at the player instructions, the team set suggests that the players are being reigned in & are more inclined to look for the easy ball that retains possession.

My AMC and MCs are given high creative freedom however my poacher isn't. Is that really going to stop a poacher from playing a simple through ball?

Major problem for me (and my opponents) is that players give away ball too easily. When closed down, especially centre backs are clueless and even with high composure they pass to oppo śtriker or wait to get tackled. i hope i wont see this in next edition of fm.

Here's my GK knocking the ball into his own goal as previously discussed!! He is not even under any pressure!! My GK is currently suspended by the club pending investigations into match fixing!! Lets hope its a 'one-off' but it never happened in previous ME.

Cheers

Here's my GK knocking the ball into his own goal as previously discussed!! He is not even under any pressure!! My GK is currently suspended by the club pending investigations into match fixing!! Lets hope its a 'one-off' but it never happened in previous ME.

Cheers

That looks like poor control/first touch to me, keeper animations are not the greatest & do need quite a bit of work.

I'd definitely look more closely at the player instructions, the team set suggests that the players are being reigned in & are more inclined to look for the easy ball that retains possession.

So even though one of the developers have said through balls need more work, you still argue that it's tactics?

Even if you have a creative (17 creativty plus 15 flar) player with creative freedom set to the mid bar point, they should still be able to see more through balls then they are currently seeing.

I can't see how people can defend it, the evidence is there for everyone to see!

In the absence of any further updates to the ME the only way to change things is via tactics & selective screenshots are not conclusive proof as we are not shown times that the player picks out the through ball, I'll also have to go back through this thread but I do no recall anyone from SI saying that there were not enough through balls in the current ME but I accept that every aspect of the game needs work but that's because it will never be a perfect simulation.

My AMC and MCs are given high creative freedom however my poacher isn't. Is that really going to stop a poacher from playing a simple through ball?

Low CF, in a role that has through balls rarely, on a player who has not got the greatest creativity, decision making, flair or passing. Not all that clear cut. If you want him to play through balls when an opportunity rises, you should be setting him up like that. Again I have my players set up in way that encourages split passes, and they attempt them. I just watched a player attempt exactly what yours turn down, sadly not converted though, keeper very quick off his line.

If this is the final ME update for FM13 then I'm very disappointed.

In FM12, I felt like my tactics reflected in what I saw in the ME. Players who were instructed to play lots of through passes did so. Shooting and dribbling were controlled, and a player's stats and preferred moves manifested in the game.

In FM13, I'm afraid this isn't the case. My strikers are just horrible, 3 updates ago (the best one so far) my striker (Cavani) scored over 40 goals in a season, With goals coming from clever movement, headers, through balls e.t.c. In the last few updates since then, My strikers have become useless. Their movement is poor, they never find space, they always have low ratings (5.5 - 6.9) and they hardly ever have good performances. My midfielders with High creativity (Wilshere, Thiago, Ramsey, Lamela) never seem to find my strikers with through balls, and my strikers only score from crosses now. My midfielders occasionally find each other with through balls but it seems my strikers are not a part of my team. I've tried everything, altering my tactics in many ways but it's just like my tactics don't matter, and that is my qualm with this game.

FM12 tactics were great. Everything you set in the tactics creator and with the sliders would appear in the game. In ths game, not so much, and it's frustrating. Why buy a midfielder with 18/19 creativity when he can't spot a simple through ball ahead of him? Why sign a striker with 17/18 off the ball if he never finds space to get a 1-on-1 or be able to run onto a through ball? You can't get excited about your players/signings in this game because they all behave the same. the only things that really matter in this game are physical attributes. The mental and technical attributes are forgone.

Other things that bug me are silly backpasses leading to goals. Lamela (14 decisions) just sent a back pass to my keeper with my box overloaded with man city players and surprise! Aguero latched on to it and scored me. I lost that game. Also, whenever I'm on a counter attack and my player is confronted with a defender, He never attempts to take him on, preferring instead to send a long pass straight back to my defenders/keeper and killing the counter attack(My counter attacks are set to Yes).

I wouldn't say I hate this game, that would be extreme, I've logged hundreds of hours on my current save. But I'm not enjoying it. Far from it. And the main issue is that it just feels like my players' stats and my tactics don't matter, which means that the match engine simulation is completely useless and that's pretty sad because the match engine is the soul of the game.

Absolutely loving FM again. Started unemployed and have been managing Stuttgarter in the bottom division of the German leagues, and the players are rubbish as you'd expect. A big contrast to how I played when managing United. I'm absolutely rubbish and lost 6 on the bounce, not scoring a single goal in any of them, but when my first win (3-1) came it was absolutely thrilling. I know it's not perfect and never will be, but it's my favourite ME thus far.

Just to illustrate the still lack of though balls I've took some screens of a recent game and highlighted whats wrong with the match engine:

paloschithroughballoppu.png

paloschipassback.png

verrattithroughballoppu.png

verrattipassback.png

petruccithroughballoppu.png

petruccishot.png

kiyotakethroughballoppu.png

kiyotakepassback.png

Here's a pic of my tactics for that match:

tacticsvsgenoa.png

I'd really appreciate it if the mods or anyone could provide insight whether it's the match engine or my tactics

I'm not a tactical genius, my guess is that in screenies 3,5 & 6 (I think I've got them right) then you are asking for quite long passes) - whereas your tactical instructions ask the team to play shorter. As I understand it, this setting puts a 'limit' on the length of passes played, rather than asking players to mostly play short passes. So even if your players can see the pass, they may adhere to instruction and not play that ball. This is compounded by the more disciplined creative freedom setting meaning players are less likely to take matters into their own hands.

Like I say, I'm not a genius with these things, but I'd suggest changing your passing setting to mixed

• SI Staff
Ok, so he didn't quite say.... MORE through balls, but by saying there is room for improvement suggests that there not right.

There is room for improvement in virtually EVERY area - and always will be. The ME will always be a work in progress.

The main thing is the balance is improved from the last update, on most fronts.

I'm not a tactical genius, my guess is that in screenies 3,5 & 6 (I think I've got them right) then you are asking for quite long passes) - whereas your tactical instructions ask the team to play shorter. As I understand it, this setting puts a 'limit' on the length of passes played, rather than asking players to mostly play short passes. So even if your players can see the pass, they may adhere to instruction and not play that ball. This is compounded by the more disciplined creative freedom setting meaning players are less likely to take matters into their own hands.

Like I say, I'm not a genius with these things, but I'd suggest changing your passing setting to mixed

I have the individual setting of the passing slider to mixed for 4 players: Both CMs, AMC and Centre Back, everyone else plays short passes, and those 4 are also given high creative freedom so that can't be the issue.

That looks like poor control/first touch to me, keeper animations are not the greatest & do need quite a bit of work.

No believe me he actually swings a boot at it and bangs in it in! Youtube quality footage is not good but the actual game footage clearly shows he kicks it in and is not just poor control.

It's quite easy to see a through ball from an overhead view, or the elevated 3d views we have in the game, not so easy at pitch level. In at least two of the examples shown above, there are clearly players that would obstruct the player's view, and another one of them is a very difficult pass. I do agree with the first one posted though, and this happened a lot in the previous me, haven't played the new one enough to judge though. You can't expect every through ball opportunity to be taken though, and if these are the best examples, then I would imagine the situation is about right.

No believe me he actually swings a boot at it and bangs in it in! Youtube quality footage is not good but the actual game footage clearly shows he kicks it in and is not just poor control.

ME wont have graphics like FIFA, so if it was my game, i would assume that keeper wanted to kick the ball upfront, but maybe poor pitch (ball bouncing slightly), or poor judgment, and he wanted to kick it upfront, but missed the ball, ball hit his leg and bounced to the goal... Thats how would i understand it, not in the way that he deliberately kicks it to his own goal, like Gareth Barry.

It's quite easy to see a through ball from an overhead view, or the elevated 3d views we have in the game, not so easy at pitch level. In at least two of the examples shown above, there are clearly players that would obstruct the player's view, and another one of them is a very difficult pass. I do agree with the first one posted though, and this happened a lot in the previous me, haven't played the new one enough to judge though. You can't expect every through ball opportunity to be taken though, and if these are the best examples, then I would imagine the situation is about right.
I agree that only 1 out the set can be considered glaring, especially as you say from pitch view they are harder to spot. I'm sure they can be improved, as can near enough everything in every game, but I don't think the photos show anything to cause any significant concern.

I think phild64 has a better case, but it is hopefully something which only happens in the most unique of circumstances, and I would recommend he uploads the save so the team can look at it properly

I had a game last night where my CB took a free kick and their GK came out to the edge of the box to catch it, but punched it up in the air and into his own net. Absurd but not too different from the Enckleman throw in or Robinson v Croatia, or Hart v Soton when you think how rarely they happen in game too.

phild64's looks more like a bug than a factored in GK error, hence my recommendation to upload, but thankfully the rareness makes it possible from the gamer's viewpoint (unlike the developer's) to reconceptualize it as one of the above mistakes

I've now played about 30-40 games with the new patch and seen at least 10 (!) freak goals from sliced deep crosses, including two in my last game. Plus countless other 'he certainly didn't mean that' moments that hit the bar or deflect back into play from the keeper (they never react with any certainty.) Sure the standard is poor (Blue Square North) but this is simply ridiculous.

Given that

Yes this is the last ME update for FM2013, I will be up front about that.

I'm guessing a bug report is not worthwhile then?

So I hear this is the last patch for FM13 ME... what can I say? This game is so bad I haven't played it since december 7th. It's a shame. Why would I buy FM14? 32€ for a worse game than FM12?

I can't believe it.

If you haven't played the latest version, how on earth can you tell if the latest patched ME is so bad??? It might be, but you wouldn't know, either way!

I have a stupid question.

I provided some feedback earlier, pointing things that I saw improved and a couple that looked bad and then a few posts after mine I saw that this is the last ME patch for the game.

Why do you ask us for feedback then if you're not planning to release a fix for any eventual problems we might find?

edit: It seems someone beat me to it while I was typing and I feel the need to add that I haven't bought fm14, I bought fm13. I want the game that I bought to work and I don't care about a game that isn't even out yet and that I might or might not buy...

johnhughthom, the problem is that I don't expect to see every through ball opportunity taken successfully, but I expect it to be attempted, since such are the instructions given.

There is no instruction to attempt every single through ball possible, only to try them often. There is also no option to force a player to attempt a through ball he cannot see. Chances are, if you could force players to attempt every through ball possible we would be flooded with people whinging about constantly losing possession.

Why do you ask us for feedback then if you're not planning to release a fix for any eventual problems we might find?

FM 14.

What is it they say about great players? "It's like he has a birds eye view of the pitch" and make no mistake any player with 18 for creativity and above have that level of vision.

In the examples above none of them are obscured from at least 1 passing option which they don't take.

If I look at the top assisters in the league they are all Wingers and Fullbacks with no central midfielders or AMCs. I mean what more evidence do you need that it's the match engine?

I mean what more evidence do you need that it's the match engine?

It can be not the fault of the match engine, without either being the fault of your tactics, if it is due to your unrealistic expectations of a professional footballer. By your logic what would stop Messi scoring every time he gets the ball in-game? (IRL he only scores most times he gets the ball)

This looks much better. I've started a new save as Sunderland AFC. I've played about 6-7 pre-season games, 5 league games and 1 cup game.

Positives:

- Super-dribbler problem almost fixed now (still see the odd issue but nowhere near like before)

- Long-shot problem has gone

- Pass weighting is better

- Tackling is good, including missed tackles

- Through-balls are back and, IMO, about the right amount

- BIGGEST thing of all for me is that, when I change individual player settings, it does what I ask it to. The worst aspect of the previous ME update was, for me, a feeling of loss of control, that no matter what I did I'd still get the same narrow decision making by players. This has gone now - they do as they're told :D (within their natural limits of course - Sessegnon will still try to beat everyone on his own cos that's what he does ;) )

Areas for improvement:

- Still seeing too many aimless long balls into channels from players good enough to know better - not a major amount but still a small amount

- Keeper distribution. This might be something I need to look at but I always set my keeper to defender collect, one of the full-backs. Does this mostly but on some occasions he's given it to the CB when he's been tightly marked. Heart-stopping stuff though it hasn't cost me a goal yet

- I think too many players take on bad-dribbing decisions from bad, defensive areas. This is thankfully manageable via the individual player settings. I think with respect to either how players interpret the instructions, or the default setting for the roles i.e. FB, W(S) might be something for SI to look at again for 2014

Most encouraging (or not, depending on your/my POV) is that, when managing my Sunderland team and watching them play, I see in front of me in the ME the same problems we had as a team at the start of the season, reflected in the ME's interpretation.

It isn't unrealistic to expect a world class attacking mid to look for through balls. This is their main job role. We are not asking for John Terry for a 40 yard lobbed amazeballs through ball.

Of course it isn't unrealistic to expect that. However, in the examples shown only the 1st scenario was 100% open from the players POV, and plenty of other players are seeing more through balls, so showing 1 or 2 instances where you think they should have been attempted isn't evidence of a broken system, especially when they aren't even great examples of it and you seem to think footballers are perfect.

In the last one, with Paloschi there is a defender goal-side of him, do you expect Paloschi to just ghost through the CB as if he didn't exist? It isn't FM12 anymore you know. Just be grateful that Kiyotake's good decision making ability left him able to realise that.

Further to my above Messi comparison, I would even point out that he claims Roma players with the "amazing" 18 or 17 in a just few areas shouldn't make mistakes. 18 isn't 20, so they need to make mistakes anyhow (but even with 20 they would still)

I've scored from through balls from my part time, Northern Irish league, attacking mid. Not many, but a decent number. I don't expect them to be tried every time, I also realise that my short passing instructions are probably a large reason why they aren't attempted as often as I'd like. If something is not quite right with my team, I look at my tactics, 9/10 the answer is there.

I have a hard time grasping the "not enough Through Balls". If any of these people actually did some research they would be able to see that the reality of the the through ball is a lot more scarce then they would imagine.

Let's take Barcelona, for example. Statistically they try more through balls/success rate than any other team in the world. Messi will hit a through ball successfully every 3 games in average, Iniesta and Xavi every other game aproximately. On average Barcelona have around 2 successfull through balls per game - having said that they do not score on every successfull through ball either. If you see the stats from other teams, then you will see that it is not as easy as just reading the ME and determining when a through ball should be made - if that were the case in real life, I am sure there are litterly hundreds of managers that would love to see their teams making beautiful through balls all the time. It's just not reality, my dear friends...

Sorry to be the one to rain on that parade...

johnhughthom, the problem is that I don't expect to see every through ball opportunity taken successfully, but I expect it to be attempted, since such are the instructions given.

This is a completely unrealistic expectation to have. In your screenshots(edit: ok not your screenshots but you're making the same point) there are clear reasons why through balls haven't been attempted, either defenders blocking the opportunity or closely marked forwards or both. Sure some players may take them on anyway but that then falls into the decision category for each player. Also you say that you've given your playmakers high creative freedom. The mistake people make is that they think this will turn players into Hoddle-like gods of passing vision and invention whereas what it actually does is increase the likelihood of them doing some amazing individual flair move, therefore actually lessening the chance he'll try through balls and follow any of your instructions. For players I want to be playmakers I use 'less' creative freedom to ensure they follow my instructions more often and don't rely on their own initiative. There are of course exceptions to these rules but then I don't manage Messi in every save and thats the level of player I'm talking about.

I have a hard time grasping the "not enough Through Balls". If any of these people actually did some research they would be able to see that the reality of the the through ball is a lot more scarce then they would imagine.

Let's take Barcelona, for example. Statistically they try more through balls/success rate than any other team in the world. Messi will hit a through ball successfully every 3 games in average, Iniesta and Xavi every other game aproximately. On average Barcelona have around 2 successfull through balls per game - having said that they do not score on every successfull through ball either. If you see the stats from other teams, then you will see that it is not as easy as just reading the ME and determining when a through ball should be made - if that were the case in real life, I am sure there a litterly hundreds of managers that would love to see their teams making beautiful through balls all the time. It's just not reality, my dear friends...

Sorry to be the one to rain on that parade...

Well said.

I actually posted the stats up some time back. A lot of people have a very warped view on how many through balls are actually played, and definitely on how many are completed.

Sorry guys, your not getting this at all I don't think.

I have a perfectly good idea of what a through ball is. As a season ticket holder at lowly Burnley, even I see more through balls or ATTACKING passes per a game then the previous version.

Let me make this clear... this new ME, is doing a better job of through passes.

My argument is those who honestly thought the previous ME didn't have an issue with attacking passes, when it clearly did and it is still not as good as it should be in this ME.

Perhaps others should take off their unrealistic expectation tinted glasses.

Weighted passes into the space in front of a run is non-existent in FM and has been for years (or always). A pass in FM is always to feet, it is just that the recipient's control of the ball "stretches out" to where the ball is until he can catch up to it (when the pass is "into space"), causing all kinds of frustration since many such instances include defenders that are nearer to the ball and who should really just pick it up refraining to do so. This is because the recipient had the ball all along in ME terms, but it is displayed like he caught up to it.

Until the code makes each player aware of where the ball is at all times and act independently on its path, I suppose the "loose ball syndrome" and this lack of true through balls will remain in the game.

I have a perfectly good idea of what a through ball is. As a season ticket holder at lowly Burnley, even I see more through balls or ATTACKING passes per a game then the previous version.

My argument is those who honestly thought the previous ME didn't have an issue with attacking passes, when it clearly did and it is still not as good as it should be in this ME.

Wait, but who has been talking about the last ME? More to the point, when has it been established that is it not as good as it should be?

People can only get it, when you explain yourself clearly.

Firstly why harp on about the previous version???

Secondly anyone who claims there were no issues with the previous ME is a total mentalist, fantasist and liar. There clearly were.

Is it better now? Sure thing. Is is perfect? No, but perfection doesn't exist. Is it as bad as some are making out? Not even close to that bad. It's very, very close to really good from what I've seen so far.

I've said this before as well: peoples expectations of 'through balls' are coloured very much by previous FMs (esp 10-12) where they were massively overpowered, unrealistic and exploitable. This latest ME has moved much closer to the RL situation but has perhaps moved a tad too far.

A lot of people seem to except ''Highlight Reel Football'' from their teams. I have to agree with edgar. The new ME in FM13 might not look as pretty and amazing as the old games, but it is far more realistic and believable.

On the issue of through balls.

I didn't play FM12. I did play, lots, FM11. It was very easy for a weaker team to get a quick, pacy striker, and knock it through to him, in behind a suicidally high AI defensive line.

I think this has coloured people's expectations of the amount of through balls that is realistic

Archived