Buying Regens, what do you pay?

Possibly been discussed before, but a search reveled nothing.

What price are people willing to pay for Regens?

I am talking 15-18 Year old players.

Do you have a Dollar figure on how many star potential?

if I have really liked a Regen, he could be 15 for all I care, but f I think he will be a star, I can, and have done in the past, spend up to 20m to get him..

I don't have a ceiling on what I am willing to pay for a youth player, but he would have to be really special if I am to pay more than £10m. Any more than that and an economical loss becomes very likely. After all I try to at least break even with my transfer policy. Last season with Lazio I bought a 16-year-old defensive midfielder for £10m, because he is already good enough to play in the first team and will be absolutely amazing without the need of tutoring. I have no doubts it will be worth it.

I have also paid £5-6 millions for duds, but managed to sell them on without too much loss. But above 10m? I will have to be very certain he will become a star.

Only have 1 'proper' save and thats with Napoli and I'm into my 3rd or 4th season. Think the most I ever pay is ~750k. I'd much rather spend millions on a 20something that is established, on form and who I don't have to babysit. Plus, I may move clubs and then I wouldn't get to cash-in on my investment.

Is there a special technique to finding regens? I let my head of scouting create assignments so don't really know what I'd be looking for... just players under 16?

I'll pay whatever is necessary for a newgen up to the age of 18 with PA of 4+.

My opinion is the exact opposite of this "I'd much rather spend millions on a 20something that is established, on form and who I don't have to babysit."

Scouting and developing newgens is now for me as much of a part of the game as the matches themselves.

Depends on how good they are, my current squad and my transfer budget. In the first 2 seasons all my funds will go towards strengthening my first team. Once I feel it is strong and I have money left, I will invest in youth. Usually try to pick up around 5 a season from then on and willing to spend as much as I need to but have never gone over £15m for a player under 18.

All depends on their CA and PA.

can you check this in-game? you have to have something like FMRTE, do you? That's not fun, when you see promising youngster, but than check him somewhere and it loosk like his PA isnt much higher than CA, so you ditch him. "Hits and misses" are part of the football, but like someone said before me, i wont spend more than 10mil£ on <18, cause it's risky, and i like to keep it a bit realistic... i know that board and supporters would be pissed irl if i bought a 16yo for loads of money

I think I have only paid up to 20m twice or so, 2 5 star potential players that were 16 and 17, were already good enough for the bench, 1 or so seasons in them and they were my first team players.

Had a Regen, I signed when he was 15, he played first team since, now won golden ball and what not, already got 200+ goals out of him, and he now plays on the wing rather than striker. I think he is 21 now, cost me 6-7m.

PA is guaranteed. Players may never reach their PA, though.

A training module is there to develop a player in the direction you want.

I didn't word my post correctly - the PA an individual player can reach is guaranteed, but reaching it is not.

The training module allows you to increase the probability of reaching that guaranteed ceiling.

In my 12th Season with Schalke paying €30m -> regulary. I won the CL tree times, so I don't really have cash troubles.

Who I buy depends on my head scout though, if he says he's going to be a world beater and the attributes are outstanding for 15 - 18 years old then I get him. I prefer my home grown players though. 2 of my high cost purchases are already world class, 3 are still under 21 and developing. Never had a problem to get the player to reach his potential. I think scouting is generally too easy in this game-

The training module allows you to increase the probability of reaching that guaranteed ceiling.

This there's some disagreement upon. Some believe it's only a matter of first team games and standard of the training facilities. Where others believe also the standard of coaches have an influence.

The training module, however, I'm not sure have a saying in reaching a player's PA. As I see it a training module has more got to do with how you want the gained abilities to be distributed. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you :)

I never go above the 5M for a 15-18 yo player.

I try to keep my save game as real as possible, and managing a portuguese team i don't think would be real buying a kid for more then that value.

This year, the regens cost so much more at a young age. I've seen clubs asking 20M for a 16 yo goalkeeper. It's a bit strange, but i guess it's the way the club have to say ..."we dont wanna sell"

This there's some disagreement upon. Some believe it's only a matter of first team games and standard of the training facilities. Where others believe also the standard of coaches have an influence.

The training module, however, I'm not sure have a saying in reaching a player's PA. As I see it a training module has more got to do with how you want the gained abilities to be distributed. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you :)

No misunderstanding, but I think there's a difference of opinion, that's all.

Training is a combination of the qualities of your coaches using the quality of your facilities to roll out the quality of your training plans.

Game time alone is, in my opinion, not enough to enable a player to reach their potential (but it is an important factor).

Similarly, excellent training facilities but poor coaches and poor training plans lessen the impact that those facilities have on a players' development.

No misunderstanding, but I think there's a difference of opinion, that's all.

Training is a combination of the qualities of your coaches using the quality of your facilities to roll out the quality of your training plans.

Game time alone is, in my opinion, not enough to enable a player to reach their potential (but it is an important factor).

Similarly, excellent training facilities but poor coaches and poor training plans lessen the impact that those facilities have on a players' development.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but i would like to know your opinion on something.

I'm currently managing Benfica, and this year we have a "B team".

The "B team" have the same training facilities that the main team have... top training facilities, but have poor coaches.

So, in your opinion, what do you think it's the best way to developed a young kid:

a) keep him in the main team. He will get train in top facilities and with 4.5 stars coaches. He will play 10 matches at most per season.

b) Send him to "B Team" He will get train in top facilities but with very poor coaches. He will play every game of the season (42 games).

If he's a really promising player (say 1 Gold Star CA, 4+ PA), I'd keep him with the first team and use him regularly from the bench for 30+ minutes.

In my current save, I have an awful lot of players like this in my first team, and they really benefit from a decent mix of quality training and game time.

In contrast, for my "lesser" players who I send to my B team, their progression is notably slower (almost static really), so I'd keep as many players with your first team as possible!

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but i would like to know your opinion on something.

I'm currently managing Benfica, and this year we have a "B team".

The "B team" have the same training facilities that the main team have... top training facilities, but have poor coaches.

So, in your opinion, what do you think it's the best way to developed a young kid:

a) keep him in the main team. He will get train in top facilities and with 4.5 stars coaches. He will play 10 matches at most per season.

b) Send him to "B Team" He will get train in top facilities but with very poor coaches. He will play every game of the season (42 games).

If he is professional enough, the poor coaches of the B team will not be a major factor. If he is ambitious enough, the 10 competitive matches will help him develop. So if his personality is Professional or Resolute, put him in the B team. If he is Determined or Ambitious, put him in the A team where the good coaches will help him maintain good training. That's at least what I would do, although when I feel a player is going to develop well I give him a lot more than 10 matches per season. It is very important that he maintains 100% match fitness at all times and to do that 20 matches (including sub appearances) is a minimum I think. If he is not good enough for that (A good player for most xxxx division sides), you should try to loan him out to a club that gives him a lot of competitive matches rather than the B team. The B team is where I put players to wither away and die... but it is better than youth football!

What I pay depends on how financially secure I am, and how convinced I am that the player will be a big part of my team.

I tend to pay £14m ish for the ones that I put straight into my first team. Usually under £5m for the others.

I usually pay up to 5m ... normally around 1-3m however I did pay about 26m for an absolutely outstanding right back..

reason was he went to spurs for 22m and I missed out on him but put a cheaky offer in 6 months after that and got him for 26m..

i was pleased because he's awsome....

Just a quick question. I just won npower League 2. I searched for newgens and looked through youth intake lists. Found some good prospects, but they refuse to even look at my contract offer.

So should I just wait until I reach Premier League and then start again? Or what should teams with lower reputation do?

Just a quick question. I just won npower League 2. I searched for newgens and looked through youth intake lists. Found some good prospects, but they refuse to even look at my contract offer.

So should I just wait until I reach Premier League and then start again? Or what should teams with lower reputation do?

Look in the lower reputation leagues?

A more interesting question, in my opinion, would be: what wages do you give these 'future stars'? For instance, I recently applied for and got the Man Utd job after a couple of seasons. The team is good and doesn't need much investment, so I bought a few 5* newgens. The fees weren't an issue, but one is on about £20k p/w, one about £15k and the other about £10k.

The agents are absolute dicks, man.

If you are certain of going straight up there is no point developing talent in the lower leagues at all. By the time you reach the PL, it is unlikely that anyone you could get in L2 would have a future at your club.

The most i have paid was last season which was 5m upfront and 8m overf 24 months for a 16 yo french DM who slots straight into 'backup' if one of my main squad players gets injured , he will be my next captain, i can tell :)

On average though i have paid only a few 1-5m on average but have picked up a lot of quality regen stars on freebies at the end of their contract.

I tend to average around 6-7m mark for good Regens. most being rated 4-5 stars by my scouts. if I need to find an actual backup and nothing more, I target an un used 3 1/2 star player from somewhere, can usually pick them up for 3-4m.

Last transfer windows, I paid 13.5 for s young striker. He will be fill in plus once developed, a cash cow. Try get 30 Milliion for him..

At Rangers, under a few million if they are straight into the first team. If not, then few 100k.

At Dortmund, and if they're German, I'll scout for a few seasons and make a move. Same with Polish, Croatian, Turkish, but a bit less. I prefer to use my own youth in both Rangers and Dortmund saves.

At Rangers, under a few million if they are straight into the first team. If not, then few 100k.

At Dortmund, and if they're German, I'll scout for a few seasons and make a move. Same with Polish, Croatian, Turkish, but a bit less. I prefer to use my own youth in both Rangers and Dortmund saves.

I would love to use youth, however no player in over 10 years has even got close to making my first team from my youth intake..

I would love to use youth, however no player in over 10 years has even got close to making my first team from my youth intake..

If you're talking about the star rating of you intakes, it's a bug. Times the stars by two, eg. 2 star PA is actually 4 star. Once their signed, the assistant manager rating will change to normal. Go to your youth team, sort my ast man rating and promote the best ones to the first team.

At the end of the day, don't always go by star rating though. Use your own judgement. A 3 star player can offer more than a 4 star. So many variables and distribution of attributes.

Upgrade youth coaching, facilities, and recruitment network, etc.

If you're talking about the star rating of you intakes, it's a bug. Times the stars by two, eg. 2 star PA is actually 4 star. Once their signed, the assistant manager rating will change to normal. Go to your youth team, sort my ast man rating and promote the best ones to the first team.

At the end of the day, don't always go by star rating though. Use your own judgement. A 3 star player can offer more than a 4 star. So many variables and distribution of attributes.

Upgrade youth coaching, facilities, and recruitment network, etc.

I know about the bug, I sign all youth, leave it a few months, check there ratings and attributes etc. Still no one good. No one above 1 star. no one that even has good enough attributes to make League 1!

I know about the bug, I sign all youth, leave it a few months, check there ratings and attributes etc. Still no one good. No one above 1 star. no one that even has good enough attributes to make League 1!

Then it needs to be raised in the bugs forum, as it seems a separate issue, unless you've used editors, created databases, etc.

@Ryknow

I'm at Rangers at well and i'm experiencing eastley's problem. I never guide myself on star ratings but o position ratings and how much can they be improved. And leaving aside my first youth intake which gave me my first and only worthy regen, a target man striker and my HOYD who signed a player which was a product of an welsh club (Conah Quaye i think) there have been no worthy youngsters. Changed all coaches with better ones,improved facilities,improved network and still nothing. I get useless positional ratings , ones that do not allow me to retrain a player if he has the right numbers for another position.

So to correct this i started to work on my own and try to find 3-4 youngsters of 15-16 and try to nurture them. Had a success in my first season taking Dario Ferrara an ex Roma reject and turning him into the next Franco Baresi in 4 years. But it's frustrating not to have your own players at a club such as this and having to poach others.

@Ryknow

So to correct this i started to work on my own and try to find 3-4 youngsters of 15-16 and try to nurture them. Had a success in my first season taking Dario Ferrara an ex Roma reject and turning him into the next Franco Baresi in 4 years. But it's frustrating not to have your own players at a club such as this and having to poach others.

This is what I do, hunt my own youth, sign 4-5 a season, I also hunt for the best English young guys too. I hate having a team full of no English players!

And another thing i do not understand, these high demands for wages for youngsters. A player from the czech republic , 18 years old on 210 euro/month asks a minimum of 31000 euro/month ?!?!?! It's kind of unrealistic for an unrpoven player, not even a wonderkid to ask this.

And another thing i do not understand, these high demands for wages for youngsters. A player from the czech republic , 18 years old on 210 euro/month asks a minimum of 31000 euro/month ?!?!?! It's kind of unrealistic for an unrpoven player, not even a wonderkid to ask this.

I have found contract negotiations to be infuriatingly unrealistic in FM13. I don't think I have seen any player not demanding at least 2x his current contract, the value of a small nation in loyalty bonuses and refuse to sign without annual wage increases. And the second response is always the final, which makes these travesties anything but actual negotiations.

@Ryknow

I'm at Rangers at well and i'm experiencing eastley's problem. I never guide myself on star ratings but o position ratings and how much can they be improved. And leaving aside my first youth intake which gave me my first and only worthy regen, a target man striker and my HOYD who signed a player which was a product of an welsh club (Conah Quaye i think) there have been no worthy youngsters. Changed all coaches with better ones,improved facilities,improved network and still nothing. I get useless positional ratings , ones that do not allow me to retrain a player if he has the right numbers for another position.

Really? And, it's not due to the youth intake star rating bug?

In my 5-6 seasons at Rangers I've had some top intakes. The lowest of the best being 3.5-4star PA. The best being a 5 star PA with all the makings of a world class player.

Ratings aside though, PA doesn't mean much if the players attributes don't reflect their position. Eg. If I get a fullback with 5 pace, and his jumping is too low to be retrained as a DC. I won't give up on them, but I would find a lower PA player getting more game time, therefore having a better chance with my team.

What do you mean by positional rating? Are you using an in game editor? Or do you mean how the players attributes reflect his natural position?

Either way, use you instinct and just give them a shot. How many seasons have past?

I have found contract negotiations to be infuriatingly unrealistic in FM13. I don't think I have seen any player not demanding at least 2x his current contract, the value of a small nation in loyalty bonuses and refuse to sign without annual wage increases. And the second response is always the final, which makes these travesties anything but actual negotiations.

One of the worst non-ME issues with this version. Makes managing a small club very difficult, and seems to affect even the large clubs just the same. I'm hoping it gets addressed in the next update.

@Ryknow

Player attributes which are key for his position. I'm 4 years in this save, just promoted back to SPL.

For me it's easier to try and find 3-4 players which are 15-16 years old and develop them.

I never use editors and other programs to alter anything in the game.

I don't give a damn on PA and star ratings, i just look for positional ratings and maybe after that i glance to see how much can he develop.

I'm just now looking at news that Schalke sold Lewis Holtby for 1.5 mil quid, and when i started a game just for curiosity he's valued at 10 mil euro, in my save he gets to be worth 16.5 mil. In the attempt to prevent you to form a team of cheap young valuable players (cheap meaning they cost an acceptable amount) SI has overrated all young players, making them worth absurd amounts of money. In the recession football, when not all the teams pay huge amounts of money they've evaluated regens and young players too much. In FM12 to prevent you from buying very good south american talents fo cheap they've quoted them very high and had agents asking a lot of money. Now they extended this system to all the world. UNREALISTIC...

You mean Schalke sold a player that already signed a pre-contract at the Spurs and was leaving at the end of the season for 2mil €. Not sure, but maybe, just maybe, there's a slight difference there?

Highest fee I paid for one of my current youngsters is 20.5mil € for a wonderkid from PSG. He was already 19 though and good enough to at least get some matches as substitute. Him being a Model Professional also helped.

Generally I try to reduce the asking price with future incentives like paying after X league appearances and X international appearance. If I got to pay those it means he was good enough to get match time, which means he was most likely worth the money. I agree that the contract negotiations are a massive pain though. Especially the 15/16 yr olds that go and demand a back up/rotation squad status from me, while I'm managing Bayern München. Do they all think they're the new and improved Messi or something?

I needed a towering midfield monster to replace Fellaini when he was ~34 years old and in the entire world (at least to my scouting) there is only one regen center midfielder who is highly skilled while also a physical monster.

Unfortunately he is from the Man City academy and so getting him means paying a team who is rich and doesnt need to sell. Cost me 50mm pounds, ouch.

@Ryknow

Player attributes which are key for his position. I'm 4 years in this save, just promoted back to SPL.

For me it's easier to try and find 3-4 players which are 15-16 years old and develop them.

I never use editors and other programs to alter anything in the game.

I don't give a damn on PA and star ratings, i just look for positional ratings and maybe after that i glance to see how much can he develop.

I'm just now looking at news that Schalke sold Lewis Holtby for 1.5 mil quid, and when i started a game just for curiosity he's valued at 10 mil euro, in my save he gets to be worth 16.5 mil. In the attempt to prevent you to form a team of cheap young valuable players (cheap meaning they cost an acceptable amount) SI has overrated all young players, making them worth absurd amounts of money. In the recession football, when not all the teams pay huge amounts of money they've evaluated regens and young players too much. In FM12 to prevent you from buying very good south american talents fo cheap they've quoted them very high and had agents asking a lot of money. Now they extended this system to all the world. UNREALISTIC...

Holtby is a different case, as Freakiie stated. He had already signed the pre-contract, and Schalke wanting some money, would let him go 6 months early for around €2mil. This feature isn't in FM, but same thing happens. Players contracts run down, they are worth less each month.

Archived