The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Are the 165 touches and 145 passes stats for Cleverley for England true? I know he likes to move the ball about quickly but that's 1.13 touches a pass which seems incredibly low.

It's what WhoScored have. Other stats include 2* assists; 7* key passes; 3* tackles; 97% pass completion; 6 crosses; of which 50%* were accurate; 8 long balls; of which 7 were accurate; and 1 dribble, which is unimpressive in isolation but does lower that touch per pass average that bit more. Asterisked stats are those where he outscored anyone else on the team. Would have had the pass completion too, but for Hart and Walcott's 100%s (from 8 and 1 pass respectively).

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's what WhoScored have. Other stats include 2* assists; 7* key passes; 3* tackles; 97% pass completion; 6 crosses; of which 50%* were accurate; 8 long balls; of which 7 were accurate; and 1 dribble, which is unimpressive in isolation but does lower that touch per pass average that bit more. Asterisked stats are those where he outscored anyone else on the team. Would have had the pass completion too, but for Hart and Walcott's 100%s (from 8 and 1 pass respectively).

I know it was San Marino, but those are impressive stats. Watch him get dropped for Stevie Me against Poland ;)

I know it was San Marino, but those are impressive stats. Watch him get dropped for Stevie Me against Poland ;)

Yeah, that's why I wanted to highlight the areas where he was superior to everyone else. May be 'only' San Marino, but still better than anyone else against the same opponents.

Are the 165 touches and 145 passes stats for Cleverley for England true? I know he likes to move the ball about quickly but that's 1.13 touches a pass which seems incredibly low.

I know it's only San Marino but apparently it's some kind of England record

King needs a first team chance. He is doing everything he can to earn it. I can just see another situation of a player becoming a star elsewhere otherwise with him.

Yep, a bit like Diouf. Not really good enough to start for us (and with very heavy competition now), but good enough to do well elsewhere. Needs to work on finishing and composure ahead of goal, but there is plenty of talent in him to get a good footballing career. Has set himself a deadline by Xmas to make the team, so if he sticks to that he'll want away either in January or the summer. Apparently the same with Macheda. Can't be easy. They know it's very, very difficult to make the team, so it's probably best for both if they leave. Not quite fair on them to keep them around in case we get a defence like injury crisis up front. When even Chicharito struggles for minutes, it's nigh on impossible for the likes of King and Macheda.

On a similar note, in hindsight, I think it was best for Eikrem to leave and get to play football every week ahead of training with better players. He has now made the Norwegian national team and is central to the title-chasing Molde, with foreign interest building up. Can see him getting a move abroad either after the Norwegian season has ended or the following summer.

We have lots of good players that "got away", but we can only field 11 players too, so it's bound to be like that with a talent factory like ours. I just hope some among our current youths will make the cut. That team excites me a lot. Damn annoying Pogba will become a star though :( If he doesn't leave again on money issues, he'll be central in that Juventus team in a few years.

The more worrying thing than these preposterous values being bandied about, are all the rumours of him leaving. No smoke without fire :( Don't want him to leave at all, but at this point it is becoming harder and harder to believe he is still a central piece in Ferguson's plans. If we sell him for anything less than 25m, we're stupid. Also, if the idea is to continue with a more narrow diamond-like formation in the future, it makes even less sense to sell Nani, who can play on both sides. Of our wingers, Young is the one that has impressed me the least.

IF it happened (a big if), it happened a long time ago, while Eikrem was still in the club, so he clearly wasn't sent off packing his bags.

He's a top-top player, probably the best technician we have in the club now, besides Scholes (totally different 'type' ofc), and he can decide matches on his own. Don't think it would be a good idea to sell him at all. Would also hate to see him rip teams apart playing for Real Madrid, Juventus, Anzhi, PSG, or whoever might be interested.

Get that contract sorted so we can all relax.

Your hatred for Nani has been established pretty well, but a couple of ifs hardly make him a repeat offender of nastiness. If I was SAF I'd be more worried about one of our players crashing his car with alcohol in his veins than a player (possibly) forcing a youth player to use a different training bike. If true it says something about him as a person, but it would have had (and had) zero impact on his United future.

If we were to sell him, Anzhi would be the lesser evil, but I'd much rather we keep him. If we were to buy a player like him in today's market we'd be looking at 35-40m.

Your hatred for Nani has been established pretty well, but a couple of ifs hardly make him a repeat offender of nastiness. If I was SAF I'd be more worried about one of our players crashing his car with alcohol in his veins than a player (possibly) forcing a youth player to use a different training bike. If true it says something about him as a person, but it would have had (and had) zero impact on his United future.

If we were to sell him, Anzhi would be the lesser evil, but I'd much rather we keep him. If we were to buy a player like him in today's market we'd be looking at 35-40m.

You see, this is nonsense. I've plainly stated that there's big IF on all of this, I've not once said that since there are allegations he must be sold and is a horrible person. What I've said is that IF these stories are true then he'll be on his way out.

And the utter irrelevance following the bolded part :DIF the Nani stories are true then he's creating a hostile environment for the younger players. There is simply no doubting or denying that. It's not very likely that Sir Alex will be going "Well, I should be doing something about this Nani situation but young Ryan has some very serious personal issues, I'll just completely ignore everything else". Tunnicliffe (sp?) is a big worry, there's no doubting that. But that has got absolutely nothing to do with the other issue. Well... I guess Nani could have bullied him so much he took up daydrinking and tried suiciding by drink driving? And please, for the love of whatever holy thing you believe in, don't take that pondering seriously, yeah?

Nani doesn't fit the new formation imo, if we are going forward with that then he has to go or adapt massively.

Not so sure about that. Reckon he'd be pretty at home at the tip of the diamond (albeit playing in a completely different manner to Rooney, but then who wouldn't?) - always roams freely from flank to flank and into the 'hole' when he's in a nominally wide position anyway. Was brilliant in a central role against Bayern a couple of years back.

Yeah I think he's good enough to play across attack, and can help overload on either side when we need it, similar to what Ozil does. I can see the diamond becoming a 4-1-2-3 at various points during the game, that seems like a good option for our team especially when we are dominating.

You see, this is nonsense. I've plainly stated that there's big IF on all of this, I've not once said that since there are allegations he must be sold and is a horrible person. What I've said is that IF these stories are true then he'll be on his way out.

And the utter irrelevance following the bolded part :DIF the Nani stories are true then he's creating a hostile environment for the younger players. There is simply no doubting or denying that. It's not very likely that Sir Alex will be going "Well, I should be doing something about this Nani situation but young Ryan has some very serious personal issues, I'll just completely ignore everything else". Tunnicliffe (sp?) is a big worry, there's no doubting that. But that has got absolutely nothing to do with the other issue. Well... I guess Nani could have bullied him so much he took up daydrinking and tried suiciding by drink driving? And please, for the love of whatever holy thing you believe in, don't take that pondering seriously, yeah?

2+2 = 9.

A couple of small conflicts/issues (which we don't even know is true) doesn't make him into Joey Barton.

But to something completely different. Anyone know anything about Bruno Gomes? Rumours say we have secured a deal for him, and that he will join us in a year or two. A 16 year old Brazilian that has apparently been here on trial a fair few times, from Desportivo Brazil.

A couple of small conflicts/issues (which we don't even know is true) doesn't make him into Joey Barton.

Agreed but if it's true that he has been an a-hole towards the youngsters then he is on thin ice and the minute SAF thinks he is past his best or the team doesn't need him, he'll be gone. Again, IF he is a bit of an idiot attitude wise then it's only good performances that are going to keep him at the club long-term.

Agreed but if it's true that he has been an a-hole towards the youngsters then he is on thin ice and the minute SAF thinks he is past his best or the team doesn't need him, he'll be gone. Again, IF he is a bit of an idiot attitude wise then it's only good performances that are going to keep him at the club long-term.

WHY ARE YOU CLAIMING HIS BROTHER ASSAULTED SOMEONE WITH AN AXE??

Or does it not work when it's aimed at someone who hasn't explicitely stated their thoughts on Nani previously?

Young back, Smalling progressing and no problems from the internationals according to Fergie's presser. Had this on Young which tickled me:

Didn’t he get 11 goals for us last season? For a wide player that’s very good.

Six in the league; two in Europe. Oh dear Fergie.

we won't be using the system every week, only problem I have with Nani is sometimes he is far from wasteful, no problems with the odd shot, but for me he doesnt cross enough, and takes too many shots which are rushed, or loses possesion setting up to shoot.

it is a shame, I want the Nani that played for portugal in the Euros.

Young back, Smalling progressing and no problems from the internationals according to Fergie's presser. Had this on Young which tickled me:

Didn’t he get 11 goals for us last season? For a wide player that’s very good.

Six in the league; two in Europe. Oh dear Fergie.

He included the dives to win penalties.

Bit subdued in here today

Manchester United: De Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Scholes, Carrick; Valencia, Rooney, Welbeck; van Persie.

Substitutes: Lindegaard, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez, Nani, Powell, Wootton.

Stoke City: Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson; N'zonzi, Whitehead; Walters, Adam, Kightly; Crouch.

Substitutes: Sorensen, Palacios, Jones, Owen, Upson, Etherington, Wilkinson.

Archived