The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not able to watch today's game but the stats say 81% possession for the first 25 minutes with 5 out of 7 shots on goal to Newcastle's 0. That sounds very one-sided! Glad to see he's realised Giggs/Scholes mobility exposes the defence. Also delighted to see Big Save Dave back. Think Anderson is unlucky to miss out this game - where is Kagawa playing?

How would you guys put our formation from the current game down? Are we really without wingers, or are Welbz and Kagawa just wingers who like to drift into the field?

They are forwards who has been told to drift outfield. Them two keeping narrow allows the wingbacks to surge forward. Carrick and Cleverley cover the wings.

They are forwards who has been told to drift outfield. Them two keeping narrow allows the wingbacks to surge forward. Carrick and Cleverley cover the wings.

Yea seems reasonable. Now how do I get this into FM tactics :p

Don't care how "little confidence" he has. Would expect him to make at least one punch.

He's a professional footballer ffs. Little confidence :D

He's also a young spaniard working in a different country and his boss doesn't appear to appreciate his talents very much - I think he was criticised publicly last time, which is very unlike SAF. Whether he's a professional footballer or not makes no difference.

He's also a young spaniard working in a different country and his boss doesn't appear to appreciate his talents very much - I think he was criticised publicly last time, which is very unlike SAF. Whether he's a professional footballer or not makes no difference.

It makes a load of difference. We're talking about catching and punching here. He's a goalkeeper. Surely you make sure you do the simple things right. It's not like they're jumping into him all the time.

It makes a load of difference. We're talking about catching and punching here. He's a goalkeeper. Surely you make sure you do the simple things right. It's not like they're jumping in to him all the time.

The difference at the top level in sport is in the mind.

Some lovely football at times in that half. Shinji doesn't seem to know what's going on today - Anderson on please.

After that 18 minute quick start they have swamped us. We definitely need to bring on some steel as Newcastle bossed the half for the last 15mins.

As pretty as this system looked early on we relied on our set pieces yet again for goals (shock horror). We can still score set pieces with Anderson on the pitch so please lets bring Kagawa off.

I'm liking this midfield diamond (Carrick DMC, Cleverley LCM, Kagawa RCM, Rooney AMC is how I read the midfield formation). We're passing the ball through the middle well, Cleverley and Kawawa are finding good spaces and there's been some good vertical passes through to Rooney.

More of the same second half please.

Kagawa hasn't come on as much as I hoped he would so far. Was fantastic in Dortmund so hope he can get out that for us too with time. Today should fit him really well actually, but not been his day so far. Get a third and kill the game now, that would be sweet. A Rooney goal would be good to get him started. But main thing is to keep them out for the first 20 minutes.We need to get back on top of this. The tactical change in Newcastle has worked well, unfortunately.

A bit of width is coming on for Kagawa. This system isn't all that. Our defence is awful. Should really be 2-2. 3-2 even.

Besides the goals we really haven't had much on goal.

I agree the system is crap, looks good because we were full of beans, even our old style system looked fast & fluid at the start of last season when Ando & Clevz were running all over the place.

While our old system could be negated by deep lying teams, it did not leave us as exposed and we still created decent chances from open play.

Archived