The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 5 quality DCs, it's almost an advantage for us to have one or two guys out, so we can get an established defence going. Obviously that isn't the case now with oddly enough all but Rio out injured most times. Think Smalling will become a very good central defender for us though, and I actually have more faith in him there than Jones. It's quite mental we have 5 DCs and sometimes still fail to have 2 fit ones. Beggars belief really.

More speculation about Solskjær to England now, after the strong result in the Europa League, but I hope he stays in Molde for at least this season, and hopefully one more.

They are winning the league with some 5 games remaining

The jury is very much out on that one. Currently, with 6 games to play:

1. Molde 48 pts

2. Strømsgodset 47 pts

3. Rosenborg 46 pts

Rosenborg in particular have really picked up pace recently, while Molde haven't done quite as well. Hope they win the title again, but it's very much a three-horse battle, perhaps all the way to the line. Strømsgodset may have a small advantage actually, as they're not involved in European football, with Molde and Rosenborg both in the group stage of the Europa League. Both Strømsgodset and Rosenborg have better goal difference than Molde too. Should be an exciting finish :)

We're top of the injury table of physioroom.com already! And yesterday's mail was saying that we had about 50% more injuries than the league average last year (30 compared to 20) and city only had 7. You've got to think just has to be bad luck rather than the physios as surely a club like united should have the best facilities and staff around?

Well when you look back over the past 4 years or so at the consistency of our injuries you have to question whether it is just extremely bad luck or are we doing something in training that leaves our players more open to impact injuries in-game? Obviously you can't account for Fletcher/Valencia/Vidic's type injuries, which are just freak anomalies, but I think it is an issue that the club has started to take a look at with the building of the new medical centre at Carrington.

Not trying to say our medical team isn't any good btw, I'm sure we have some of the best sports science and physio staff going, but it is a bit strange how we have so many injuries. I don't think we've actually had a fully fit first team squad in years.

As Sheps said when you get something happening as consistently as ours do, you can't blame it on bad luck or any other fictional force.

We are either signing players "more susceptible to injuries" or we are doing something in training that is causing this.

Much, much rather have Welbeck there tbh. Welbeck practically played there a full season at Sunderland and impressed enough to become first choice here.

I think you're in the minority here with having Welbeck on the wing. Although I don't mind him there as an attacking threat.

Much, much rather have Welbeck there tbh. Welbeck practically played there a full season at Sunderland and impressed enough to become first choice here.

Did he really play there? He actually played deeper behind Bent and did the same role behind Gyan winning aerial balls as a point man.

The wide-forward role has been used here at OT and is one in which Welbeck has underperformed more than he has performed in.

I don't think we're good enough to play a two in midfield. I'd say our attackers are good enough to cope with a wide three and we need more midfield strength.

We have coped with a midfield 2 if it is the right 2 against certain teams. My worry when we go with 3 in the middle is we decide to drop a winger to accomodate 2 forwards.

If we want to dominate the middle against Newcastle, then we should try negative for once.

De Gea

Rafael

Rio

Evans

Evra

Cleverley

Carrick

Anderson

Nani

Valencia

van Persie

With Rooney, Scholes and Kagawa to come on and pick holes in a Newcastle defence that has been tired out by the movement of 5 of that starting 6.

Did he really play there? He actually played deeper behind Bent and did the same role behind Gyan winning aerial balls as a point man.

The wide-forward role has been used here at OT and is one in which Welbeck has underperformed more than he has performed in.

Not when playing in a 'proper' side.

Lovely team that. De Gea :cool: Will be interested to see whether it's two from Welbeck, Cleverley, Kagawa and Rooney out wide or the narrow formation from the past two midweek games.

De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Welbeck, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, RvP

happy with that.

No width and Carrick expected to protect the backline alone. Top heavy team which means that we need our defence to be very good or very lucky and i know which we can hope for.

We have coped with a midfield 2 if it is the right 2 against certain teams. My worry when we go with 3 in the middle is we decide to drop a winger to accomodate 2 forwards.

If we want to dominate the middle against Newcastle, then we should try negative for once.

De Gea

Rafael

Rio

Evans

Evra

Cleverley

Carrick

Anderson

Nani

Valencia

van Persie

With Rooney, Scholes and Kagawa to come on and pick holes in a Newcastle defence that has been tired out by the movement of 5 of that starting 6.

Except for the fact that Valencia stays wide. If we use Nani and Rooney out wide then both can cut in OR provide width.

The team today looks like it might be a 4-2-1-3 in attack. That'll open us up to the counter.

No width and Carrick expected to protect the backline alone. Top heavy team which means that we need our defence to be very good or very lucky and i know which we can hope for.

Would imagine Cleverley will muck in on the defensive side.

Except for the fact that Valencia stays wide. .

That is what i want in that formation. Nani and Valencia will stay wide while our 3 versus their 3 congest & scrap in the middle.

It will not be the most creative formation but will ensure that we do not fall behind as we always do. If we don't nick a jammy goal (penalty, set-piece etc) then with 30 minutes to go and the game level we can tweak things.....Scholes, Rooney, Kagawa, Chicharito.

As it stands, we will be re-hashing previous problems in that the tweaks will be made just to get us level.

Offensive in theory, but Welbeck, Cleverley, Kagawa and Rooney (most of the time) have all shown willingness to get back and do their defensive work.

We need players that their JOB is to get back. As we are so fragile back there and this top heavy system is not exactly putting teams to the sword.

SAF is banking on the Newcastle backline being very weak and exposing that. Ba and Cisse have never scored at the same time, worth a punt as everyone seems to break their records against us. :D

That is what i want in that formation. Nani and Valencia will stay wide while our 3 versus their 3 congest & scrap in the middle.

It will not be the most creative formation but will ensure that we do not fall behind as we always do. If we don't nick a jammy goal (penalty, set-piece etc) then with 30 minutes to go and the game level we can tweak things.....Scholes, Rooney, Kagawa, Chicharito.

As it stands, we will be re-hashing previous problems in that the tweaks will be made just to get us level.

And then what? Hopeful crosses onto van Persie? None of the midfield three have proven that they're able to dictate play for an entire game so you're hoping that Anderson and Cleverley alternate on getting forward.

And then what? Hopeful crosses onto van Persie? None of the midfield three have proven that they're able to dictate play for an entire game so you're hoping that Anderson and Cleverley alternate on getting forward.

I do not give a rats arse about getting forward early on, we are good at putting teams on the backfoot late on.....we are great at it tbh.

If we can put a cagey side out to just run and contain Newcastle while wearing them down and then bring on a fired up Rooney etc to pick off the tired backline would get us 3 points.

Not a bad approach to take for 3 away points when the backline is so weak. What is the plan if Newcastle go ahead today? We are already very offensive as it is.....major gamble by SAF and if Newcastle get a stranglehold on the midfield we will be stumped.

Initial thoughts, it's an almost Barca 4-3-3. Carrick is definitely playing deep (sliding between the two CBs even), and Cleverle and Rooney seem to be doing the midfield position with van Persie left, Kagawa right and Welbeck central but able to move around. Interesting if that's the case.

Archived